main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Supernatural] It's Good To Be Queen (Tale of Charlie and Dorothy in Oz)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by madman007, Jul 6, 2015.

1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    My muse has captured me and forced me to get this story down. Since I've been introduced to Charlie in season 7, I've loved her. SPOILERS!!! Don't worry, I think she'll be back in season 11. But at the end of Slumber Party when Dorothy and Charlie head into Oz, I thought about what happened there. Of course some have an alternative idea, but I don't do slash of any kind. [face_whistling] This is only but a section of what I have planned, so see what you think and I'll add more.​
    It’s Good To Be Queen
    A Supernatural fanfic
    Time frame: Immediately after the events[​IMG] of Slumber Party in season 9, Dorothy Baum and Charlie Bradbury head further into the Land of Oz.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Part 1
    The doors closed behind them.

Charlie Bradbury could hear the metal doors slam shut with a loud clang. She turned her head back to the doorway where she had just gone through not seconds ago.

It was gone.

So were Sam and Dean Winchester.

There was only a path made out of yellow bricks. The yellow brick road.

How many times had she watched the movie with her mother when she was young? How many times had she read the books that described the very road that she was currently following? This was her reality now. Was the life she had in her own world gone? She hoped not. She was sure the people in Oz would never enjoy the pleasure of hacking into NATO for harmless laughs.

“Red?” called out Dorothy in front of her. “You ok?”

“Yeah, I’m all right. Just a little...overwhelmed, I guess. I mean, I’m actually here. In Oz!”

“I understand. I felt the same way on my first visit here. Of course, I was very young then.”

“Right. When you were Home Aloned here. So, I guess we’re following the yellow brick road.” Charlie squealed with joy. “Always wanted to say that and actually mean it.”

“Guess I expect to hear excerpts from my father’s book while I’m with you.”

“I swear I’ll try to hold them in. So, where are we heading, for real?”

“All the way to Ozma’s castle there.”

“You mean we’re actually going to meet her?”

“Don’t get your hopes up. Remember what I told you. She’s an ass. Typical princess.”

“Ok, so if she’s so terrible, why go to her?”

Dorothy shrugged and said casually, “Because she may have kept my dog for her own.”

“What? She took Toto for her own? In my world, that’s beyond an ass. That’s a bitch.” Charlie quickly chuckled. “A bitch stole your bitch. That’s it, we’ll banish her to Munchkinland.”

Dorothy chuckled. “You are so going to fit in here.”

Charlie looked dejected. “I’m not so sure. They don’t exactly have Wi Fi here.”

“Well, last time I was here, when I was Protector Of Oz, I brought in the same computer that the Men Of Letters have in their hideout. It’s in Ozma’s castle. Hope she hadn’t done anything to it.”

“Cool. I probably could hook up[​IMG] my laptop[​IMG] to it. See what I can do.”

“Very good. Let’s get going then.”

The two of them continued[​IMG] on the yellow brick road. After a few minutes of hearing the birds and creatures from Oz, Dorothy mentioned, “By the way, at the risk of damaging your[​IMG] childhood further, Munchkins are not as wimpy as father depicted them in the books. They’re actually good fighters.”

“Ah, good to know. Anything else I should know about Oz before I start wallowing in adventure here?”

Dorothy considered before adding, “The beetlebubs may sound cute, but they can kill you in an instant with one swipe of their claws.”

“Yes, very good to know. A little frightening, but manageable in the panic room[​IMG] of my brain. Although, I died before and was brought back Green Mile style by Dean. Somehow.”

“He didn’t tell you how he resurrected you?”

“Nope. And, apparently, I can’t tell Sam.”

“Those two have too many secrets between them.”

“Well, they are brothers. Of course, I never had any siblings, but if I did I wouldn’t waste the time I had with them.”

Suddenly, Dorothy burst out, “Oh! Time! It moves slower here in Oz than our world.”

“Really? Cool. Like, what’s the ratio?”

“Oh, well, I never calculated[​IMG] it exactly. Roughly a day here in Oz is about a month in our world. So, since I’ve been in our world for seventy-five years, here it’s...well, you do the math.”

“29.41 years,” Charlie answered in a flash.

Dorothy stopped walking and looked at Charlie, stunned. “I was joking.”

Charlie smiled widely. “And I was creating algorithms at age ten.”

They started walking again and Dorothy asked, “So, is that number correct? Almost thirty years away from here?”

“Roughly. I thought of using Keplar’s third law, but this really isn’t a different planet. So, I went to Einstein’s time dilation theory, where one place in time space is only relative to another section of that time space. Each has its own different elapsed time. So where Oz is one day and our world spends a month in that day, then it’s about less than half of 75 years, given leap years. And you look confused.”

“No, I’m impressed. You thought of all that in the few seconds I told you do the math?”

“Pretty much. Call me special. Or a nerd, as the kids did when I grew up. Thankfully, nerds are in now.”

Dorothy nodded. “Sam was right. You are the smartest person in the room.”

“Aw, you don’t have to say that. But I’m glowing, so go right ahead. Besides, I’m in Oz now. Bet there’s smarter people here.”

Dorothy scoffed. “You give them too much credit. They certainly have heart. Brains, well, my friend the scarecrow was the only one I knew with them.”

“What about the Wizard?”

Dorothy flashed Charlie an incredulous look. “You do know the Wizard was made up?”

“Ugh! Childhood. Ruined.”

“Sorry. My father wrote himself in as the Wizard in his books. The all and powerful wizard in Oz, but a failed magician in Kansas. He traveled to all kinds of places doing cheap tricks. That’s how he met the Men Of Letters. Then he discovered this place.”

“Wow. That must have been exciting growing up.”

“Not really. He was obsessive about everything but me. He tried to compensate by writing down his adventures for me. He embellished almost everything to make it sound less dangerous and violent.” She paused and said, “And you know what I just realized? I’m spilling out all about my life, but I know nearly nothing about you besides math genius. So, spit it out, Red. What’s your story?”

Charlie always reminded herself to be careful when she told her version of her life. She had so many different ones since her parents’ accident. She kept to the basics with Dorothy. Computer hacker getting into impossible places. Hermione Granger worshiper. Star Wars geekette. Those subjects she had to sidebar and explain their cultural significance in their world. She decided to skip the subject of her sexual orientation for now. That was a whole separate subject that needed more explanation. She skipped to how she met Sam and Dean. She described the Leviathans and the their boss, Dick Roman. Dorothy didn’t seem fazed by the mentioning of human-devouring monsters.

She also decided to edit out her LARPing experience for now, too. Also too much to explain. Although, it was a subject she wanted to eventually talk to Dorothy about. One focus in particular was to find out if Gilda, the fairy whom Charlie was making out with until Sam and Dean interrupted, had ties to Oz. She told of the time when Dean semi-trained her as a hunter and the vampire she just barely killed alone. She did disclose the death of her real mother who had been in a coma. By the time Charlie got to current events leading up to her killing the Wicked Witch, Dorothy and herself found themselves at the start of a long red path to Ozma’s enormous green castle.

“Oh! We’re here. I must have talked your ear off.”

“I didn’t mind,” said Dorothy. “You’ve had quite a life.”

Charlie shrugged and said, “So far.”

“It’s like my father used to say that we live our lives in chapters. Hopefully, you can start another chapter here in Oz.”

As Charlie admired the now red brick path that led to the bright green castle, she realized what Dorothy said. “Hey, what do you mean hopefully?”

“Well, as you calculated, I haven’t been back here in almost thirty years. Things could have changed just like in our world. If I remember Ozma, she does like to change the rules. Like every five minutes.”

Charlie wondered for the first time, “Do you think Ozma will accept me being here? Or will she cut off my head, Red Queen style?”

“She’s not that bad. Let’s just say, she’s difficult. Besides, telling her that you killed the Wicked Witch should win her over.”

They both walked up the red brick path that led them to two oversized green doors. In front of the doors were two guards dressed in bright green uniforms with top hats that came down almost over their eyes. As the two girls approached, one of the guards stopped them.

“Halt! Identify yourselves, strangers!”

Dorothy announced, “It is I, Dorothy Baum, returning to Oz from my land of Kansas. This is my travelling companion Charlie....uh...” She shot a quick look at Charlie.

“Oh, Bradbury. I’m not from Kansas, but...elsewhere in the land of...wherever she said.”

“Kansas. Right.” She faced the guard. “I seek an audience with Princess Ozma of Oz.”

“Whom did you say you were?”

“Dorothy. I am Protector Of Oz, knighted by the Princess herself."

“I’m afraid that is rather impossible. The Wicked Witch killed Dorothy many years ago.”

“Well, yes, she did kill me once.”

“She got better,” Charlie said in a fake British accent.

“Yes, I was revived. I chased the Witch back into my land where I trapped her for seventy–”

“Twenty-nine!”

“Yes, twenty-nine years. Now, I have come back after the death of the Wicked Witch. Now, I have come to speak to Princess Ozma of Oz!”

The guard said, “I’m afraid that is also impossible. There is no Princess Ozma. She is now Queen Ozma of Oz.”

There was a pause before Dorothy uttered, “Oh.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Part 2 coming soon!​

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, I like this! I've not watched Supernatural, but I really do like Charlie, and I'm a sucker for anything to do with Oz - so I really, really like the world you've created here.

I can't wait for a part two. :D =D=

3. madman007

Aug 22, 2007

Whoa! Time warp! Been busy in the past two years to continue this one. Finally wrote a 2nd chapter and I still have more ideas. See what you think. Enjoy and review as you see fit. Thanks for reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Good To Be Queen

Part 2

The guard obliged Dorothy's request and ordered she and Charlie to follow him, leaving the second guard at his position. The huge green doors opened with a loud creak. He led the girls into the castle where they entered a large hallway made of what Charlie could only guess was green crystal. She was reminded again of the books describing the bright green colors of the Emerald City. Charlie was transfixed taking in the spectacle of the hallway. They reached the end of the hall that opened up to a massive circular room that was mostly white with dark green columns.

On either side of the room were the people of Oz in various colored fashions. Either they were citizens or the Queen's entourage. A path was lined by a deep red runner carpet that directed them to the center of the room. There was a large dais where a few steps led to a high throne. Sitting on the ornate, green throne was a middle-aged woman with hair the color of honey. She wore an extravagant pale green-white gown.

The guard kept walking but stopped short of the first step of the dais. His voiced echoed within the room. "My queen. I present to you two travelers who approached the front gate." He pointed to Dorothy and said, "This one claims to be Dorothy Baum from Kansas, the former Protector Of Oz."

"Wait. Former?" cried Dorothy. She directly addressed the queen. "Ozma, don't you recognize me? I assure you-"

"Silence!" yelled the guard. "You will only speak to the queen when spoken to."

"Fine."

He spoke to the queen again. "As you may have guessed, your highness, they seek an audience with you."

The queen finally stood up from her throne. The crowd went silent. She slowly stepped down the dais and stood in front of the girls and guard. She glanced at Charlie for a few seconds before she looked at Dorothy for much longer. She squinted as if she were studying her. The woman spoke in a low monotone voice.

"Dorothy? Is it really you?"

"It is me, Ozma."

"We thought you had perished."

Dorothy replied, "Technically, I did. I was revived. You know me, Ozma. Not even death can stop me."

"Apparently. You haven't aged in almost thirty years. Did you use magic? Or are you now immortal?"

Dorothy chuckled. "Definitely not immortal. I did use a form of magic to suspend both my soul and the Wicked Witch's for quite some time in my world."

"The Wicked Witch. Where is she?"

"She is dead." She gestured at Charlie. "Courtesy of Charlie Bradbury here."

The queen looked at Charlie and said, "Apparently, we are in your debt. Are you a witch?"

Charlie curtsied and said, "Your grace. No, I'm not a witch."

Dorothy added proudly, "She's the smartest one in the room."

Acting on Charlie's look of embarrassment, the queen pursed her lips and said, "We shall see." She turned her attention back to Dorothy. "I assume you have come to retain your position."

"Actually, I came back to see my dog. Toto. Remember him?"

"Oh. That filthy mutt. I regret to inform you that your dog had perished long ago."

Dorothy gasped. "W-what? Died? When?"

"Quite some time ago. Those creatures don't seem to live long."

"No," Dorothy cried. She bent over backwards but Charlie reached with an arm to catch her. Dorothy was in tears and Charlie wrapped her arm around her shoulders.

Charlie tried to comfort her. "Hey, it's all right. I mean, the queen is right. Dogs don't tend to live to thirty years."

"Of course, I'm right. I had thought you were stronger than this, Dorothy. Too much time in your world has turned you soft."

Charlie turned to snap at the queen. "Hey! Back off! She just found out that she lost something she loved. I thought the people of Oz had more compassion than this. Guess I was wrong."

The members of the court all gasped at Charlie's harsh words to their queen. Queen Ozma herself was silent, yet her lips formed a smirk. She said, "How brave of you to speak to me this way. I can see how you managed to defeat the Wicked Witch."

Charlie said wryly, "I killed her with a shoe, not my words."

"A shoe?," the queen questioned. "The ruby slippers. Ingenious."

Dorothy straightened and gave a slight nod to Charlie to indicate she was all right. She then said to Ozma, "It was Charlie's idea."

Ozma looked back at Charlie. "You're making quite a name for yourself in your short time here in Oz."

"I already have a name. Well, several, actually."

Dorothy said, "I will vouch for her abilities. She is a great strategist. I will need an associate like that as Protector Of Oz."

"Oh yes," the queen began. "About that. Much has changed since you've been gone, Dorothy. Many lands have fallen. Munchkin Country is overrun with the Witch's followers. They are rumored to attack Quadling Country soon."

Dorothy whispered, "Glinda. Is she all right?"

"For now. She has her own magic, which is holding attackers off for the time being. I'm just afraid that even her magic won't last. There is but one of the Witch's followers that may be our doom."

"The Wizard."

"Yes. He is gaining strength in both magic and supporters."

Charlie chimed in, "I liked the Wizard from the books better."

"Not now, Charlie," exclaimed Dorothy. "We don't have much time then. Reinstate me as Protector and we will begin a plan to defeat him."

"It is not that simple. Years ago when you disappeared and feared dead, the members of the Emerald Court decided to amend a procedure. Since you failed at your task, and the fact that you were not originally from Oz, we decided that the position of Protector of Oz can only be filled by someone with royal blood."

"What?" Dorothy cried out. "You know I don't have royal blood."

"Yes, I know. We did not expect you back. It is unfortunate, but that is the new rule."

As Ozma turned back to her throne, Charlie uttered, "What a bitch."

Ozma quickly turned and asked, "What did you say?"

"Uh...itch!" Charlie started scratching at her arms. "What an itch I have. Must be something in the air here." She gave a nervous laugh.

Dorothy stepped forward. "Ok, so who is your Protector now?"

"It has yet to be filled again."

"Again?" Charlie asked. "What happened to the last Protector?"

"The Wizard sent a Kalidah after him and he was torn to pieces."

"A Kalidah?" asked Charlie.

Dorothy explained, "It's a dangerous creature. A combination of a tiger and a bear."

"Oh, that's not a good combination," whimpered Charlie.

"No, it's not," said Dorothy. She spoke hard to Ozma. "Do you mean to tell me that you would sacrifice the lives of Emerald City and many others in Oz just because you don't have anyone of royal blood to fill a position?"

Ozma retorted, "I have generals in our armies. Mostly made up of munchkins, but they will do."

"They will die." Dorothy pleaded, "If the Wizard is getting as strong as you say, the munchkins' weapons will be useless against his magic."

Ozma spat, "Magic. That's what started all of this."

"And it will end all of Oz, eventually," cried Dorothy. "You have an army with generals, yes. But you have no plan."

Ozma snapped, "You had a plan once. You died, returned to life, and still allowed the Wicked Witch to escape to your world."

"It wasn't the best plan, I admit. But it did save lives here for several years. With Charlie's help, we can come up with a better plan. You need me as your protector again, Ozma."

"We need a new protector. One that doesn't fail as you did."

Dorothy slowly realized and said, "You amended the rule. Just so I couldn't become Protector again."

"I created it so that no one besides a member of royalty can fill the position. I stand by my word, as your Queen."

Dorothy paused before saying, "You're not my Queen."

Charlie suddenly had a brainstorm and muttered, "Queen."

Ozma said with a smirk, "You see, even your heroic guest acknowledges my title."

"No," said Charlie. "That's not what I meant."

"What did you mean, child?"

Charlie played the usual tug of war she fought with herself ever since Sam and Dean Winchester came into her life. It was her ultimate fight or flight scenario. Should she be the hero or run away and change names again? Her battle with the right answer began with learning about the Leviathans and Dick Roman. The battle continued with her beginnings as a hunter. The answer was always the same. She rarely backed down from being the hero now. She acted quickly once Sam and Dean were taken over by the Wicked Witch. She didn't pause once at taking that weapon and killing the witch. But now that she had the idea, she wondered if she could get away with it. And the consequences if it did succeed. There would be no one in Oz to oppose her. It was time for her to stand up and be the hero once more.

Charlie asked the queen, "Does your amendment say that it has to be Oz royalty or just anyone of royalty?"

"I suppose it could be anyone of royal birth. Or at least possessing a royal title. Why? Do you know of such a person?"

"Actually, yes. Me."

Dorothy quickly turned to Charlie and gasped, "What are you doing?"

Charlie gave her a look of confidence and stated, "Acting like a Woman Of Letters."

"You?", cried Ozma. "Of what royal blood are you a part of?"

Charlie stood straight and announced proudly, "I am Queen Of Moondoor, ruler of the Four Kingdoms."

Dorothy whispered to her, "Charlie, you can't just make stuff up."

Charlie smiled and said, "I'm not."

"Is this true?" asked Ozma.

"It is your highness. Though, I must admit I haven't been back to my realm in quite some time."

Ozma said, "Pardon my diligence, child, but we would need some form of proof. Do you have documentation of your title?"

"Not exactly. I have a video."

"A what?" asked Dorothy.

"Moving pictures," Charlie answered as she pulled out her laptop from her bag.

"What is that contraption?" asked the queen.

"It's my computer. It's where I keep my moving pictures."

Ozma sneered, "Is it a magic box?"

As Charlie sat the laptop on her bag and turned it on, she shrugged and said, "It can sorta do magic." She uttered under her breath, "...if I had an internet connection." She used the keyboard to page through files until she found the one she needed. "Here it is." She turned the screen around so the queen could see. It was a video that someone took of her during her LARPing days in Michigan. It showed Charlie dressed eloquently with a crown on her head, which was actually made of plastic that someone bought at a Dollar Tree. The people of Oz didn't need to know that. The sound consisted of people chanting, "Long live the Queen of Moondoor!"

Charlie explained, "See, this was recorded after our victory of the Four Kingdoms. It's made up of the Followers of the Moon, Elves, Warriors of Yesteryear, and the Shadow Orcs. Followers of the Moon won. We kicked ass."

The people of Emerald City gasped.

"Uh, sorry. I meant we kicked booty." She leaned toward Dorothy. "Didn't know cursing was bad here."

"It is frowned upon. You know what else is? Not telling your travel companion that she's secretly a queen. That was left out of your history."

"Heh. Surprise," Charlie said weakly.

"I have a feeling that's not the last surprise with you."

Ozma came closer and said, "You led this battle of Four Kingdoms by yourself?"

"I did have help." She glanced at Dorothy. "You can't be a strong army without help."

"Indeed. Very impressive, Queen Of Moondoor. These...moving pictures are suffice. It is proof enough." She spoke more loudly. "Therefore, as Queen of Emerald City, I hereby appoint you to the position of Protector Of Oz! Congratulations."

The citizens of Emerald City started to applause.

Amidst the noise, Dorothy leaned in and said to Charlie, "Way to go, Red. You have your adventure now."

Charlie looked worried and nervously replied, "Gulp!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    tbc

4. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Aaaaaaand another time warp. I had this next chapter in mind for a while. Just never got around to post it. I have another chapter in mind after this one, so please keep with it for those who are. As always, enjoy and review as you see fit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It's Good To Be Queen

Chapter 3

Protector Of Oz. Charlie Bradbury gained a new title. And this one wasn't made up. No Dollar Tree crowns this time. Although, she thought that, as uniforms go, the Dollar Tree version would have looked better.

Charlie was shown to a room on a higher level in the Emerald City castle. She was handed a neatly folded set of clothing that was her new uniform. She set her bag and laptop aside and proceeded to change into the outfit. It was tight on her. It probably hadn't been worn since Dorothy wore it when she was Protector Of Oz thirty years ago.

Charlie stood before a long mirror in the room. She muttered to herself, "I look like Elf. Don't think they used enough green. Well, this is the Emerald City."

Dorothy walked in and spotted Charlie in her official uniform. She whistled before she stated, "My, you look spiffy!"

"Shut up. This is so uncomfortable. Are there any regulations that say I have to wear this?"

Dorothy said, "Don't worry, you'll only need it for official Emerald City business. And funerals, unfortunately. They tried to make me wear it during battles, but I refused."

Charlie scoffed. "Good thing I knew that was an option. What else is the Protector Of Oz entitled to? And I just now realized my new title spells POO!"

Dorothy laughed. "You can leave off the 'of'. The PO gets their own room inside this castle. Free meals. A servant, eventually. You've been in Oz for all of three hours now and already you've established a residence." Her voice then dripped with sarcasm. "Of course, it helps to be a Queen."

Charlie turned to her. "Look, I know I pulled a Keyser Söze on you. I didn't know that information would come in handy. I haven't been Queen Of Moondor for over a year now."

"Then why did you keep it a secret?"

Charlie considered. Here she was again with her fight or flight conundrum. She could make something up like she had in the past. Since she met the Winchester brothers, she was witness to how lies and secrets could hurt people. That reminded her of Dean's secret to Sam about how Charlie was revived from death. Charlie told Dorothy, "Because it's not real."

"Not real? You're not a Queen?"

"Well, yes and no. I'm a pretend Queen."

Dorothy squinted. "I don't get it."

Charlie sighed. "It's called LARPing. Live Action Role Play. A group of us pretend to be in another world. A world full of magic, dragons, orcs, elves, and battles. Our weapons were pieces of wood with aluminum foil wrapped around it. My crown was bought at a Dollar Tree."

"Pardon, what kind of tree?"

Charlie thought of an equivalent store that Dorothy would know. "Uh, like a Woolworth's."

After a nod, Dorothy asked, "Why do you do this?"

Charlie offered, "Entertainment? Sorta like a play, only on a larger scale and no audience. I mean, you know how life can suck in our realm."

"I would say life in Oz is worse. At least you don't have witches and wizards killing your people."

"Well…ok…touché. It's just something we do to combat boredom."

"Trust me, you will have a shortage of boredom in Oz. And you are going to be in real battles here. No pretend swords made of wood. And real blood."

"I know. Sam and Dean helped me cope with that reality. I even tried my hand at being a hunter." She paused. "A huntress? Cool, I'm a DC character now."

"The question is, Red, are you ready now?"

"Yes."

"All right…Queen Of Moondor."

"Hey, can I appoint you as my Second? My Number One? My Thelma to your Louise? Not like we're going to drive off a cliff anytime soon."

"I don't know what that means, but yes, you can appoint a Second. More like an advisor. Unless Ozma changed that rule, too."

"Think she will?"

"Not likely. She may be prickly, but she misses me. She won't admit that, of course. And, it's rather fitting."

"How so?"

Dorothy frowned. "The Scarecrow was my Second."

"Oh, Dorothy, I'm sorry."

Before they could reflect, a courier entered the room. "Protector Of Oz. Your presence is requested by Queen Ozma at once. She is waiting for you in her ready room. Follow me."

Charlie uttered to Dorothy as they followed the courier, "My duty awaits."

The courier led them back to the first level of the castle and into a vast room with an enormous circular table in the center. Charlie's first thought at the sight of the table was the Arthurian legend and the Knights of the Round Table. Almost as if she were reading her mind, Dorothy nudged her and uttered, "I know what you're thinking. My father gave Ozma the Round Table idea long ago."

Queen Ozma stood at the apex of the table opposite from Charlie and Dorothy. "Please, Protector, sit down. Or stand if it pleases you. And this meeting is for official Royal business. Your friend can wait outside."

Dorothy squealed, "Ozma! Even for you, that's cold. You once called me your greatest warrior."

"Hmm, not so great after all these years, apparently."

Dorothy turned to Charlie. "Don't you have something to say? Like a request?"

Charlie spoke quickly to address Ozma. "Oh, yes! Uh, I am appointing Dorothy to be my Second."

Ozma replied sourly, "Of course, you are. If you so desire, your Second she shall be. Now, onto business. We have received word from Gillikin Country that there has been an attack there. More like a distress signal. It could possibly be an attack by the Wizard."

Dorothy asked, "Where exactly in Gillikin?"

"Mist Maiden territory."

Dorothy gasped. "They're not powerful enough to face the Wizard."

Ozma said, "It seems that word of the Wicked Witch's demise has reached him and he could be retaliating."

Dorothy asked, "Any word from Locasta?" She whispered to Charlie, "She's the ruler of Gillikin."

"Not as of yet. I fear the worst. The Wizard may gain sympathy from disciples of Mombi and fight on his side."

"That's not good," said Dorothy.

Charlie said, "I'm not liking this Wizard. I liked the feeble old man behind the curtain better."

Ozma chuckled. "I assume your friend has read your father's stories."

Dorothy replied, "Yes. Apparently, they've been extremely popular in our realm for several years."

Ozma addressed Charlie. "I'm sure you know by now that those stories are pure fantasy in this world."

"I'm getting that."

"Very well," Ozma began. "I am hereby assigning you your first mission as Protector Of Oz. You are to go to the Mist Maidens' territory in Gillikin and seek out what damage has been sustained. And investigate if this was a serious attack by the Wizard or merely a ruse to distract us."

Charlie raised her head and exclaimed, "I hereby accept the mission."

"Very good. You, and your Second are dismissed."

"Fine," Charlie replied. "Which way is Gillikin?"

Dorothy said, "I'll be your guide."

"Cool. First, I have to get out of this uniform."

Ozma bemused, "Is our Protector attire not good enough for you, child?"

"No! It's….fine. And very green. I just work better in my own clothes."

"Funny, that was what Dorothy said when she first donned the uniform."

Dorothy dripped more sarcasm. "Ah, you remembered." She addressed Charlie. "After you've changed, meet me just outside this entrance."

Charlie nodded and went up to her room to change. She then went back down to greet Dorothy.

"You ready?" she asked Charlie.

"You know I have to say it. We're off to see the wizard!" Charlie smiled a little too widely.

Dorothy gave Charlie a blank stare. "Please let that be the last reference to my father's books."

"I can't promise anything. Are we hitting the yellow brick road again?"

"Yes, but not on foot. I have an alternate means of transport. Follow me."

Charlie complied and Dorothy led them even further down into the bowels of the castle. She approached a corridor where an ancient wooden door awaited them. When they were at the door, Dorothy took from her blouse an old metal key. She used it to unlock the door and she pushed it open. It gave a loud creak from not being moved for thirty years.

Dorothy said, "I asked Ozma about this room and she said they left it alone all these years."

"What is it?"

"My lab. Workplace. Garage. It's had many uses." She reached for a switch on the wall and light from overhead flooded the area. It was a vast area that smelled musty and damp. A large rectangular table sat nearby. On top of it was metal shelves with various sizes of containers sitting on each one. Several cobwebs of dust decorated the room. "Sorry, my cleaning lady hasn't been here in thirty years," Dorothy said wryly.

Charlie started walking around to take in the place. "Ozma sure did leave it alone." She spotted a rather large contraption on the opposite wall. There were several wires with the old 40's style canvas casing coming from it. She made a beeline to it. "Is this what I think it is?" She took her hand to brush off a literal inch of dust. It was essentially the same computer that ran Sam and Dean's hideout.

Dorothy could see the glee on Charlie's face. "It is. I had some Men Of Letters help me move it in here. Never did get it installed."

Charlie jumped up and down like a giddy schoolgirl. "Oh, can I? Can I?"

"In due time. We have a mission right now, and this would be more than an hour job." She beckoned with her head. "Over here."

Charlie pouted but followed Dorothy over to a wider portion of the room. Dorothy stepped in front of something that had a dusty canvas tarp over it. Dorothy removed the tarp amidst a thick cloud of dust. Underneath was a 1940's style motorcycle with sidecar.

"Oooh, you had two of these? Is this the lesser of the bikes? The good one is with Dean?"

"Oh no. That one I left with Dean is the Oz version of a motorcycle. This one is all Kansas. It was my father's. It's faster."

"Guess I know where I'll be riding. You have something against walking?"

"Oh, Gillikin is too far to walk to. And I don't want to bother Glinda for a transport bubble. Go ahead and get in."

Charlie climbed into the sidecar, but it wasn't an easy fit. She struggled to find a suitable position. "Not exactly comfortable."

"Well, it once fit a five-year-old me with no problem."

"Funny. Why don't you see if it works first?"

Dorothy climbed into the driver seat and kickstarted the engine. It took a few pumps, but the engine did turn over with more clouds of dust and black smoke from the exhaust. It was loud. "Still works!" Dorothy yelled over the engine.

Charlie yelled back, "I'm sure you chose this so that you couldn't hear me talk!"

"What?"

"Never mind. Gillikin or bust! Let's go!"

tbc...soon