main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Supernatural: New Episode Tonight

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by SlytherinHouse, Sep 8, 2005.

1. SlytherinHouse

SlytherinHouse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2000
    http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/supernatural.html

So apparently you can watch the first 60 minute episode of this new WB drama over at Yahoo TV. I can't from my work computer. Has anybody else watched it? Tuesday at 9 is a hotly contested time for me, as I can only record two shows, and it's down to My Name is Earl/The Office, Commander-in-Chief, and Supernatural. Which one gets the cut?

Sly

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to watch it when it isn't 2:00 in the morning.

I'm definatly looking forward to this show. WB has a good track record with this type of show. I even enjoyed the quickly canceled...can't think of its name but it was more of a comedy then anything.

3. LeiaShmiPadme

LeiaShmiPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Hello! [face_peace]

Thanks for the link! I had heard that the show would be put on Yahoo. When I read an article about the show on the Sci-Fi Channel one of the creators said that they hoped that the show would be like watching Luke Skywalker and Han Solo riding across the country fighting bad creatures. I am hoping that is what this show will be like and I hope that this show will last.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Watching the first episode now. A couple of observations thus far- it kinda reminds me of the X-Files vigilente version. The story seems pretty interesting thus far. Characters are kinda weak, don't add up as much as I'd like, but there's certainly room for growth.
    I don't see this suceeding as a real hit show, at least right off. It could take a little while to gather some momentum and the ratings that it would need to succeed. The WB seems to cater to the right audiance though. It'll be interesting to see where this goes, and if they get a good story arch going.

I did like the line: "When I told dad that I was afraid of the monster in the closet, he gave me a .45"

5. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, all first epiosdes of all series are weak in the character department. That's why they are series.

I mean... anyone remember the first episode of X-Files? Kinda... lackluster.

Anyway.

Caught it.

There was a lot I liked, such as the mood, atmosphere, visuals and the two lead characters.

There were things I didn't like and then of course the obvious plothole of it being such a small town where everyone knows each other, to the point where they have a town meeting over vanishings and everyone talks about the local legend... that it was quite odd to see that dude pick up this random chick, take her to a rundown house and yet not sense that anything is wrong until the very end.

Didn't like the whole body exploding in fire. Thought it was real creepy to just see the body stuck to the cieling, with blood on it's stomach.

The exploding fire killed the great mood of those scenes.

Other than that... I dug it. Has potential.

6. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I agree it has potental. We'll just have to wait it out.

I honestly was hoping for something a little less Ring-y and a little more Buffy.

7. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, I think it might go there... which I don't mind, since ever since Angel got canned... I've needed my fix of that type of show.

It might just be a blend of both, the Ring-y style and the Angel style.

8. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Reposted from the Supernatural thread I started cuz' I'm dumb:

I guess it could go either way, it's really too early to know. Nothing that impressive about what I saw, but nothing exactly horrible either, and it seems to depart from stereotypical WB teenybopping.

9. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    No kidding and that's what the WB needs to try and keep doing. I remember when Roswell, Buffy, and Angel were on. They all had deep storys and were not just teenybopper shows. Samething with Smallville.

I'm glad I can watch another show that well be like X-Files and or Buffy, and Angel. I have missed shows like that. Smallville took over Roswell for me so I'm happy there.

10. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Also remember, Angel was the opposite of Buffy. Not even close to being a teen show. It was an adult show with much better writing and characters than Buffy. And I'm a huge Buffy fan... but Ange just blew it out of the water.

With exception of Spike :D

Spike > all

11. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Much, much better.

Very good episode IMO.

Speaking of Angel. Amy Acker is in the next episode [face_love]

12. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    The two brother characters kind of remind me of The Hardy Boys, an old series from the 70s. I actually liked the opening teaser to the pilot. WB might be on to something again. But -- not enough characters. It's just the two brothers.

13. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Speaking of Angel. Amy Acker is in the next episode

The force is with us! Yes!!! She needs more roles.

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Wow, somethings just clicked into place right there. Very similar indeed...

15. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I'd be surprised if thats how it wasn't pitched.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Amy Acker does need more roles.

So does Alexis Denisof (who even Whedon called underrated) but thats neither here nor there.

Where was I. Oh yeah, new Supernatural. Did I mention that Amy Acker was on it. I kinda stopped paying attention to plot and what not at that point.

Edit: Actually it was pretty darn good again. It definatly starting to come into its own as a show.

17. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Ok, that was different.

When I post in you thread you are supposed to go up.

18. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    So I just discovered this show and have become obsessed. Awesome show- it just gets better and better. I really like the dynamics between the characters. Yeah, I know, with only two boys to carry the show, it seems weak. But that's the thing- any more characters would take away the feeling.

Sam's got these issues- what with all his visions and all- and Dean is just great.

Really, this show is great. *grins*

Just hate the month long hiatus...

19. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Wasn't this upped for a full season?

20. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Yeah, seems like it to me. The WB always likes to take a long break during December before airing new episodes. And from the impression I got, it's doing very well.

21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Almost every show takes a mid season break. Supernatural's was fairly short I thought.

Anyways, great episode last night. The kicker, Julie Benz doesn't look like she has aged a freaking day. Kind of freaky actually.

Edit: A little on the future of the series from Sci Fi.com:
    Supernatural Will Give Answers

Jensen Ackles, who co-stars in The WB's Supernatural, told SCI FI Wire that the second half of the first season will offer some answers to the show's underlying mystery. "That's going to start building towards the surface in the back nine [episodes]," Ackles said in an interview at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif. "Everything's going to kind of come close to the surface, and things are going to start coming together more. We actually get to interact with our father in the episode that we're filming now, which is a huge step for us. Now, where that takes us we're not quite sure, but it's definitely a big step in the right direction, I think."

Ackles stars as Dean Winchester in the series, alongside Jared Padalecki as his brother, Sam, and the two travel around the country in search of their father while battling against supernatural forces. The first half of the season established the mythology behind the Winchester family. According to Ackles, upcoming episodes will fill in some of the history that has been hinted at so far.

" think it can be very much a faux pas to drag it out season over season over season," Ackles said. "I think that these things need to be resolved and things need to surface, at least within a season, and I think [creator and executive producer] Eric Kripke's on the same page. I think he's against that whole dragging audiences ... across many, many seasons of storylines. So I definitely know that he's on the same page about resolving things and moving on to bigger and more interesting problems."

Supernatural airs on The WB Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

We saw some of that one the Scarecrow episode. Looks like they are getting a big bad that flows from episode to episode, and she's hot.

22. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I really enjoy this show, and I consider it a worthy successor to Buffy and Angel. Maybe even to The X-Files, depending how the mythology goes in later seasons.

23. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Another Supernatural blurb on Sci-Fi.com

Supernatural Gets The Girl

Jensen Ackles, who co-stars with Jared Padalecki in The WB's scary series Supernatural, told SCI FI Wire that the show will be adding a new recurring female character in the second half of the first season. "The character of Meg, played by Nicki Aycox, she's going to be coming back and doing some stuff," Ackles said in an interview at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif. "That's going to be a really interesting multiple storyline, a nice little arc there. ... We're planting some nice seeds for some good arcs."

In the recent episode "Scarecrow," Aycox (Jeepers Creepers II, Over There) first made an appearance as a hitchhiker who makes a connection with Padalecki's Sam Winchester. At the end of the episode, it is revealed that Meg is more than meets the eye.

In a separate interview, Padalecki said that "Scarecrow" is one of his favorite episodes of the series so far, and he's looking forward to Meg's return. "She's a new recurring character, " Padalecki said. "She's back and trying to cause more trouble." Supernatural airs on The WB Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

24. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It's on here in the UK on iTV 2, with the tagline, Scary Just Got Sexy. I don't think that I get that channel though.

25. Raincloud

Raincloud Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2002
    The first episode aired a couple of days ago in Australia. I found it poorly written and badly acted, sorry. But it was just the first episode, some of my favourite shows took a while to get their feet. I'll watch a couple more. Plus, the main guy is hot. :p