main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Supernatural] Off the Job -The Journal of Sam Winchester -Dear Diary 2010 Challenge -Updated 8/20

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by TheMacUnleashed, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Title: Off the Job
    Fandom: Supernatural
    Summary: The journal of Sam Winchester, kept while he's at Stanford.
    Notes: Written for the Dear Diary 2010 challenge.

PM list:
    Ceillean
    Raphire

Journal Entry: One
    January 5

Funny. I always assumed that if I kept one of these, it would be a hunter?s log, some sort of record of whatever hellions I happened to encounter. I guess I always figured that there was no way out, and that I?d end up following in dad?s footsteps ?Dean always did say that we were alike, even though he knew how annoyed that would get me.

But that doesn?t matter. That?s the past. Dad isn?t here; Dean would have a hell of a tough job finding any sort of resemblance between us now, and this isn?t a hunter?s log. It?s just a journal, something to help me cope while I?m at Stanford.

And it?s something that I can use to both to keep track of the lies I?m telling, and to be honest. I mean, I?ve given my real name to the few people that I?ve met and all, but sooner or later somebody is going to ask about my past, and what do I say then? ?Oh, I spent most of my childhood wandering the US, hunting monsters that I didn?t even know existed until I was nine.? Yeah, no. Sooner or later I?ll start to make something up, and if I write it down then hopefully I can remember what I?m telling people ?keep my story straight, and all that. I already have a few ideas in mind, but I?m not too sure what story I?ll go with in the end.

As for honesty, well, I need somewhere where I don?t have to lie. And I know that sounds wimpy and kind of pathetic, but it?s true. Before, I always had Dean with me, and while we didn?t do too much talking about how much our lives sucked, (for two reasons: one, Dean is pretty much okay with hunting, as far as I know, and two because he thought it was too girly, which is probably what he would say about this journal, if he ever found out about it) it was still reassuring to know that there was someone else nearby that I could turn to.

So far, the only person that I?ve met that?s a student is my roommate. His name is Ben Harwood, and he seemed glad to meet me ?I was worried, since it?s January, and I didn?t know how he would feel about a stranger moving in halfway through the regular school year, but he said that his old roommate, Glen, dropped out, and he?s glad for the company. He seems nice enough, so I guess we?ll get along fine, as long as he respects my privacy. I brought a few knives, with me, I couldn?t resist ?some silver, just in case. I?m not bringing a gun into Stanford, but I can?t go in defenseless.

It?s morning, and I?m getting my final schedule today. I guess I should go and do that.

Until next time,

Sam Winchester

(oh, and just a note ?nobody else can read this. It?s written in a cipher Dean and I came up with awhile ago. It?s pretty hard to crack. I should be safe, unless it?s Dean reading this, in which case Dean, get out of my journal. Now.)

2. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I think if Dean caught Sam writing a journal, he'd not only call it girly, he'd be laughing his ass off. :p

This is a wonderful idea. I lurve Supernatural. :D Dean...[face_love] That man is just wow.

Would you PM me when you update?
    Highly interested in how this goes on.

:)

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Sweet! This is great :) IF you do start a PM listing, please include me. I'm a huge fan of the show! (Though gotta wait until season 5 is on DVD before I can watch it, sadly)

Sam is my fave ;) Dean's a hoot! Gotta feel for the fellahs and what they've had to go thru

4. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I'm a perpetual lurker, but I'll certainly be following this. :)

5. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    Ceillean: Thanks! I am a bit of a Dean fangirl myself, but I was tempted to try Sam's POV -the Stanford years are relatively unexplored in canon, so it's interesting to be writing in them. Also, you're on the list!
    Kynstar: Thank you! You're on the PM list now, and I agree: The boys have been through so much that Stanford, as difficult as it is, must have been a vacation for Sam.
    Lilith Demodae: THank you! Glad to know you're reading. :)

Journal entry: Two
    January 7

Well, my schedule isn't too bad. Most of my classes fall on either Mondays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays, and most of them are in the morning.

Ben saw my schedule. He said it was good because it let me go off partying during the nights. Funny, and here I was thinking that I could spend my time studying, and actually doing something to earn the scholarship that's currently keeping me here.

Dean would probably agree with Ben -no, I know he'd agree.

Not that Ben really reminds me of Dean. I don't really know anyone who does remind me of Dean, actually. I guess spending your life hunting demons turns your personality into something that can't be replicated.

Anyway, I spent most of yesterday hanging out with him, learning the ropes. He showed me around campus. I had already known where most of my classes were, but now I know which coffee shop all of the girls hang out at, and where the hall of fame for the Stanford Cardinals (I think it was that, anyway; some bird) is. Good to know, I guess.

I also got to know Ben a bit better ?he?s a pre-law student, like I am, although I don?t think any of our schedules coincide. He?s got a girlfriend, who I?ll probably meet later. It seems to me like Ben is just your regular, nice college kid. Not a threat, or anything like that.

Looking back on that makes me realize how paranoid I sound. I kind of regret that. I mean, Dad was always really strict on that Dean and I needed to be aware of our surroundings, and know every detail and all that. Analyzing people just goes along with that, I guess.

But still, I?m trying to leave that life behind me as best I can. I can?t force everything out of me, of course, because at this point I can?t really tell the difference between my instincts and what Dad taught me. At the very least, I don?t need to go around lugging an artillery around with me, or go about sprinkling a salt circle around the room every night. Actually, I really wanted to do the second one since I?m pretty sure that there have been students who have died on campus at some point, and it?s always possible that their spirits haven?t moved on, but I didn?t. You can hide your weapons (or weapon, in my case: a silver knife I got awhile ago), and you can be fairly subtle about taking stock of your surroundings, but you can?t hide it when you?re sprinkling condiments in a circle around your room.

And let?s face it, the knife is awkward enough. If I?m found on campus with it, I?m screwed. Goodbye scholarship, goodbye Stanford; no, I don?t know how that dagger came to be under my mattress. Yeah, there?s really no way out of it.

I think I managed to hide it well enough, though ?I [i]hope[/i] I did. It?s not like people regularly look under my mattress (which, subsequently, is where I?m hiding this journal.). I didn?t put my initials on the hilt, or whatnot, and I had also gotten into the habit of wiping it down after practicing with it, so hopefully my fingerprints aren?t all over it. I guess I could just say that I?ve never seen it before.

Of course, there?s about a one-in-a-million chance that campus security, or the police, or whoever I?d be dealing with would buy that. I know I?m good at lying, but I don?t think that even Dean could get through away with that excuse, and he?s probably the best liar that I know.

Hopefully, it won?t come to that, though. My classes start tomorrow, and I?m not going to spend all of my time worrying until they do. I?ll write about them when I have the chance.

Until next time,

Sam Winchester

6. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    LOL! Being paranoid, yep I can see that ;) or one could call it a habit if ya wanna be nice and diplomatic about it. He had been doing for quite a while ;) [face_laugh]

Great update :) the ole bit about thought the extra time would be used for studying is SO Sam hehehe

7. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    Kynstar: Thank you! I think Sam would have been sort of paranoid at Stanford, due to his unusual upbringing. John probably gave him and Dean lessons in paranoia, come to think of it. :p

[i]Journal Entry: Three
    February 5
    [/i]
    My Latin course is a total joke. I guess that?s what I guess for signing up for a beginner?s course, but still. There?s more to the language to read than scientific names and old emblems and mottos; things that sound cool in Latin, but terrible in English. Not that I expected us to be reading exorcisms, or anything like that. I just wish for a bit of an interesting challenge, since it?s one of my favorite subjects.

Then again, I guess I don?t have too much to complain about. I mean, I?m at Stanford. That any of my classes here should be simple is kind of a miracle, and it?s probably not a good idea to look a gift horse in the mouth, and all of that.

Speaking of the rest of my courses, they aren?t as bad as they could be. They take up most of my time, but I don?t really have anything to do besides study, right? Writing here, maybe, but other than that there isn?t much.

Since it?s my first term here, there isn?t really any order to the courses that I?m taking. I?m just getting the ones that don?t have anything to do with major, but which I?ll need to get a basic degree in anything, out of the way. There?s the Latin one, which counts as a foreign language, and an algebra class (I need some sort of math credit). That one, I don?t particularly like, but it isn?t too difficult.

Still, my classes have managed to keep me busy, which I guess is why I?ve hardly written at all in here. I wonder how often dad wrote in his journal? Funny; I never really saw him recording anything in his notebook, but it was always there. I guess he must have made the time in between hunting.

Is it bad that I still can?t think of dad without being pissed at him? I mean, it?s been a month and I know that I really should call him or Dean and tell them that yeah, I?m still alive, but neither of them has tried calling me. I know I said some harsh things to dad, but still. We?ve argued before. And Dean is probably mad at me too, since I just up and left (and I can?t say that our parting words were the best, anyway, but I was angry, and he knew that. Right?)

Then again, I never left home to go to college before. That?s probably a big factor in it.

I know I should probably be saying more about that -face my inner demons and all- but I'm not really in the mood to right now. I also have an assignment for my writing class which is due tomorrow, and I probably should be working on that. I'll write more later, when time allows.

-Sam Winchester

(oh, and thankfully, I haven't had too many questions about my past yet. Ben and a few of the people that he's introduced me to have asked the standard "Where are you from?" and "Any siblings?" so far, but that's it. I've just said I'm from Kansas, and that I have an older brother who travels a lot. Neither which, of course, are lies.)

8. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have waited all my life or at least since I started watching this for a fan-fic to come out!

9. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    Oh sorry for the double post but please add me to the Pm list

10. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Gotta feel for him for still being ticked off at his dad, perhaps one day it'll get better ;) well we know all about how that goes now, don't we? [face_laugh]

Thanks for the PM!! Keep up the great work :D

11. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    Raphire: Thank you! Sure, you're on the list. :D
    Kynstar: Thanks for commenting! I loved how John and Sam's relationship was onscreen. They were too alike to not be constantly butting heads, and of course that made things difficult.

[i]Journal Entry: Four
    February 26[/i]

You know what?s awkward? Going on a blind date. What?s worse is a blind double-date. On Valentine?s Day. And then having the other two people bail on you halfway through to go do God-knows-what together.

Yeah, I probably should start at the beginning.

I?ve been busy lately. Really, really busy. As it turns out, Stanford is no day at the beach once you get into the second month of the term. My classes have been taking up almost all of my time, and I still have a huge project due for my English/writing class that counts for something like 30% of my grade ?but I really need to write, and somehow I don?t think that comparing and contrasting the religious literature in the eighteenth and the nineteenth centuries is going to cut it.

Anyway, Ben (who claims to be maintaining a steady 3.8 GPA, even though I?ve never seen him study or do homework) happened to notice how busy I was, and decided that it would be a good idea to invite me to a party to meet his girlfriend, and to ?Pick up chicks.? (His words, not mine.) I tried turning him down, bur he wouldn?t leave me alone, and seeing as we have to sleep in the same room and all, it was starting to get really annoying. I did my best to politely ignore him for as long as I could (all of those long road trips when I was trapped in the same car with Dean and Dad taught me patience better than any training exercise ever could) but I eventually caved in and went last Saturday.

His girlfriend is really nice, and really pretty, if I do say so myself, but I?m not Dean: I know she?s taken, and I will respect that. And apparently, she knows people, and has a lot of friends. Single friends. I met a few of them at the party, and they seemed nice enough, even if it didn?t go anywhere. She did tell me, though, that the best of them, Lia, couldn?t make it that night.

That was about ten minutes before I managed to escape from the party. Ben had driven, but it wasn't far from the campus, and I had wanted to fit a good run into my schedule anyway (can't afford a gym membership, and I'm not letting myself get out of shape).

So there we were, Ben, his girlfriend, and I, with a few other dozen people surrounding us, and I was trying to be fixed up with somebody's friend.

Contrary to Dean's opinion, I'm not a prude. Definitely not. And (once again, contrary to Dean) I like to actually get to know a person before I get further involved with them. I like girls, and although a social agenda might not be as high as an academic one on my list, I'd like to have a girlfriend.

So it was either that, the loud music, the pleading look in her eyes, or maybe the drink I'd had (though it was only a few sips -I don't allow myself to dull my senses when I'm in a new place) that made me do what I had never done before, and agree to be set up on a date.

I think she had been planning this for some time, because she instantly rattled off a time and a place. Which happened to be Valentine?s Day, but Ben was cool with that.

Anyways, it was a really simple date. A movie (I can?t even remember the name) and dinner at this tiny café.

Lia was nice, I suppose. Quiet, but so was I. She goes to Stanford too, but I can?t remember if she said what she was studying. She spent most of the time giggling and making eyes at Ben.

I should be annoyed that she liked him more than she did me, but it doesn?t bother me too much. There weren?t really any sparks. Ben snuck off with his girlfriend after the movie, and we had a quiet dinner together. An awkward on, but a nice one. We were able to walk back to campus together, said good night, and that was it. Needless to say, there won?t be any second date.

I still haven?t heard from Dad, which is no surprise, but Dean also hasn?t called.

I did tell him not to, though. I guess that?s w

12. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    Lol! This post was great! I have a question though. Are you all of the way caught up with Supernatural? Because I'm not yet and I was wondering if there might be spoilers for later seasons in here.

13. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    Raphire: Thanks for commenting! Yes, I'm all caught up, but no, there won't be any spoilers. This is all pre-series, and you won't be seeing any characters that come onscreen later than Season One.

[i]Journal Entry: Five
    March 13[/i]

Dean called.

I was Latin when he did. It?s still easy. I was taking a test (not a major, 40 percent-of-your-grade one, but still not something I?d risk failing by whipping out my cell phone in the middle of class) and I didn?t bother checking my messages until after all of my courses for the day were done.

His number was right there ?he called at 12:41. It?s probably later where he is (funny thing; I traveled so much that it?s strange not to have constant jetlag). I?m just about to play the message now. Ben is out, so, thankfully, I have the room to myself.

Actually, I?m kind of surprised that he called at all. I mean, I really wanted him to and I know better than to look a gift horse in the mouth (assuming that this is a positive call and not bad news or him misdialing, or something like that) but still, it?s strange that he would. Not as strange as it would be if Dad called me, but still unusual.

Dean knew I was leaving. He was there when I received word from Stanford, and he congratulated me, even though he knew it meant that I would be more-or-less abandoning him and Dad. Dad, though, didn?t know I was leaving until I actually told him, argued with him, and walked out.

Dean wished me the best. Dad told me not to contact him again until I had come to my senses. I told him I was fine with that.

Dean gave me extra cash, a ride to the bus stop, and a promise that Dad would cool down. I?m almost certain that the last part was a lie ?I haven?t been with my brother for my whole life and learned nothing about him. And that?s not even mentioning Dad, who isn?t exactly the type to cool down quickly and brush things aside.

When I left, Dean told me he wouldn?t call regularly, and he promised he wouldn?t come to see me. I let him say that, because I thought that I was okay with it then. I?m trying to start a new life ?I?d say I already have. If I want to really leave behind hunting, then I need to give up all parts of it, and that included the good things. Like my family.

I have missed Dean, though. Something would be wrong if that were otherwise. He?s practically all I?ve got (or all I had).

I guess I should see why he called now, though. Best to stop being all insecure and girly, as Dean would put it.

Until next time,

Sam Winchester

14. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    Very good post! I wonder what Dean's calling about? Plus I'm dying to figure out how Sam stole Jess from Ben!

15. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Raphire, I didn't know you were a Supernatural fan. In a way, you should be glad you didn't mention it or else I would have started gushing over the Winchester boys. [face_laugh]

For what it?s worth, it?s Jess.

*gasp* He stole his friends girlfriend! :p

So, I wonder what Dean is calling about? [face_thinking] I doubt it's just to say hello...

16. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    Raphire: Ben and Jess will return in a few chapters... [face_whistling] Thanks for reviewing!
    Ceillean: That, you will find out here! :D Thank you for commenting!

Journal Entry: Six
    Same day:

I don't really know what to write. It seems like it would be a lot simpler just not to write, actually. What am I supposed to do, spill all of my deepest feelings out to this paper and search through my soul to find some deep revelation about what I think about Dean's call?

Granted, I like writing. Hunting actually worked as a decent sort of stress relief for me, which is surprising, since I would say that it was probably the cause of most of my stress in the first place. But what am I really looking to accomplish by writing all of this down? I can?t say I?ve been doing it frequently enough for it to keep me sane.

Whatever the reason is, I know that if I'm not honest here, than there's no point in keeping this. It's a "truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" thing, I guess, and the most important part of that is probably "the whole truth." So, in order to maintain that, here's a transcript of Dean's call:

Dean: Hey, Sam... [he hesitates here]. It's been awhile, hasn't it? What, three months? Maybe four. You're the geek; you know your numbers better than I do [he laughs, sounding nervous]. Anyway, I was just calling to say hi, I guess. Wanted to see how you were doing; if you've settled down at school okay. I know you're probably all popular at Stanford now; getting all the girls, but I can't let you lose sight of your humble origins, can I? Anyways, I'm just peachy, and so's Dad. Hope you're not dead yet, and you're just avoiding me, or with a chick, or something, which is why you're not answering. And just out of curiosity, any chance of you coming home soon? Just wondering. I think Dad's cooled down a bit. Whatever. 'Bye.

And then he hangs up.

How do I answer this? Do I call Dean back? I mean, I know I should. For common etiquette, yes, but also because he's Dean, and I feel bad about keeping him hanging like that.

Which is probably kind of ironic. I mean, I would feel bad about not responding to him, but I'm fine with running off and leaving him with the life he's been stuck with since he was four? Not that I'm completely okay with it, but I was to the point where I would do it.

But am I going to respond?

I guess the logical thing to do is to figure out what good calling would do, and what harm. I don't know if making a list will actually do any good, but it won't do any harm, right?

Pros/Why I should call:

-Dean deserves a response. I'll feel guilty if I just leave him hanging.
    -If Dean doesn't get a response, he might think something is wrong, and then come up to Stanford to check, and I know that wouldn't go over very well.
    -I feel guilty about having just left him (even if it was the right decision).

Cons/Why it's a bad idea:

-I'm not going to lie to Dean, and being honest means telling him that I'm not coming home anytime soon.
    -I told Dad that I wasn't going to be in contact, and if I call Dean, Dad is almost definitely going to find out (I feel really petty writing this, but I hate giving Dad the pleasure of seeing me go back on my word).
    -Additionally, I'm not letting Dad think that I regret doing anything.
    -I want to distance myself from the past, and giving the ones I lived with a friendly phone call isn't going to help me do that.

When I look at it like that, the answer is obvious, but what if it isn't the one I want?

Until next time,
    -Sam Winchester

17. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Personally, I think he should call Dean back. Even if they don't see eye to eye, he's still his brother.

I think it's great Dean just called to say hello. I would have expected a hunt of some sorts from him but just to say hi -- great.

18. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    Lol. That's Dean for you.

I think Sam should call but being the cynic I doubt he will. Plus it would flow more with the story that he wouldn't call.

Loved the list by the way. It fit Sam very well.

19. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor Sam...at least Dean called ;) But calling him back...yeah so like Sam in setting up a plan on which way to handle the situation. [face_laugh] Yep that's Sam all right!

So have missed reading this! :D Thanks for posting updates!! (and what's this? We get more on Jess? Sweet!)

20. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    Ceillean: Thank you! I'm glad you liked it -I considered making the call about something more serious, but I think that Dean would be checking up on Sam (it's the big-brother instinct in him) and so I wanted to show that.
    Raphire: Thanks! I've been trying to write Sam as in-character as I can, but he can be hard to portray at times.
    Kynstar: Thanks for replying! We will definitely be seeing more Jess soon...

April 13
    I called Dean back.

It didn?t take me this long to get to it, thankfully. I did it the same day that he called me. It just took me this long to write because? well, things have been busy. They still are, actually, but obviously, I did find some time to write.

But as my professor has said many times, ?events should be related in the order in which they occurred,? so I?ll explain why I?ve been so busy later on. For now, the phone call: I don?t have a transcript of what I said, mostly because I?m not sure what it was, exactly. He wasn?t awake, or he was out when I called, but I knew that if I didn?t leave a message then, I probably wouldn?t bother calling later.

I told him that I was okay, and that my courses were all going well ?I doubt he cares all that much about my academics, but there isn?t much as far as small talk goes that I could think of. I said that I hoped he and Dad were doing fine.

After that, I said that I had been busy, and that he didn?t need to call back, if nothing was wrong ?that it was great to hear from him, but I probably wouldn?t have been able to get back to him for awhile.

That wasn?t a lie. Midterms have kept me busy, but thankfully, they?re all over now, and I actually did reasonably well on all of them -89% was my lowest score, in algebra. I scored 100% on the Latin one, thankfully. Even Dad always paid attention to how I did on that, when Dean and I were attending a school that offered it as a course. He always expected the best on that, of course. We probably could have failed everything else, but the one time I remember bringing home a 90%, he wasn?t happy. At all.

As a plus, I?ve never screwed up the spellings since then.

Besides that, there are the non-academic complications. I got a weekend job. As a restaurant promoter.

I would have preferred so much that they just told me to dress like, say, a giant chicken. I would have a mask, at least. But something that people can tell it?s me under, and which I hate? With a passion? I?d rather not spend my weekends in costume as that, even if I do want to have some spending money (since, after all, it isn?t really possible for me to just call up my parents and beg for money, as everyone around me seems to be doing).

But no, Uncle Joe?s Klown Korner was the only place that I found that I could get decent wages for, and which I could work my schedule with. This job makes hunting seem like a breeze ?but at least now, I get paid.

Dean had better not come to the Palo Alto area on Friday nights, Saturdays, or Sundays. It?s going to be bad enough if Ben, or Dom, or Luke find out. They know that I work at a restaurant, but that?s all the details that they have. I?d like to keep it that way.

Ben and I have been getting along, thankfully. Some people I?ve met hate their roommates. I couldn?t imagine that, having to live in such close quarters, and not being able to get along. It sounds worse than the times I was arguing with Dad (or Dean, although that wasn?t nearly as often) and we were stuck in traffic or on a long ride in the Impala. The tension between us was? well, it wasn?t fun, to say the least.

I actually went to a party last weekend. It was as fun as a party can be, I suppose. I met some new people, and socialized a bit. I actually made a date with someone ?we went out last night. Nellie. She knew Jess, we got introduced, and well, that?s about the oldest story in college history, isn?t it?

It actually went really well. She?s nice ?doesn?t go to Stanford, but she?s studying to become an actress at a different school. She likes Alaskan Malamutes, has four siblings, wrote for her high-school n

21. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    I so can see ole dad ensuring that the Latin part is well studied all right! :)

LOL about the part time job [face_laugh] Money is money, no matter how/what you do to get it.

Second date? Well can't wait to see how that goes ;)

Glad he did call Dean back :D

Thanks for the PM! Great work! So enjoying this. Can't wait until September so I can get season 5 on DVD (don't have cable or internet [posting this at work] so I haven't got to see any of season 5. Hope it's as awesome as last season was!)

22. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    [face_laugh] Personally I would rather face a demon then a clown. Lol. Their evil.

Loved his Dad's Hissy fit about grades. Irony to the extremes.

Great post!

23. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    Kynstar: Thanks for commenting! I, personally, think that Season 5 will be well worth the price once it's out on DVD. :D
    Raphire: Thank you! And gah, I know! [face_clown] I was just watching Stephen King's It recently, and although the movie/mini-series/whatever it was can't match up to the book, it was still plenty creepy in its own right.

April 28
    Entry Eight

Well, Nellie and I broke up.

Turns out, the nice thing about being dressed up as a clown is that you become anonymous. Apparently, even people who usually have the fortune to be towering over crowds can be disguised with some red and white face paint, a rubber nose, and giant shoes. I would think that being dressed as a clown was about as inconspicuous as a wendigo on a city street, but maybe not.

Then again, it is perfectly possible that she just didn?t see me. After all, her eyes were probably busy appreciating the man she was with. The man who, optimist that I was, I assumed was her brother.

I stopped thinking that once they had started to lock lips while waiting for the traffic signal to change. If he was her brother, I don?t want to know it.

Anyway, I confronted her openly once I was out of the clown suit and back at Stanford (it would have been extremely unprofessional to have diverted my cheerful promotion for the Klown Korner just to confront my then-girlfriend and the guy whose arm she was hanging off of. Not to mention that he had an impressively muscular build, and although I probably could have taken him down if I needed to, I wasn?t about to test my luck by finding out. Fortune wasn?t exactly playing my way at the moment as it was, and I didn't want to make it worse.). I told her that I had seen her with another guy, and she didn?t try to deny it. She apologized, although I think that it was more for that I had found out, and less for actually doing the crime.

Maybe I?m just bitter. I shouldn?t be, since we parted on good terms -all things considered- but she was my girlfriend. Even Dean had the morals to keep away from a girl that I was dating, on the few times that we stayed long enough in a single place for me to have a relationship. He wasn?t above flirting with them, of course, but I never expected him to be above flirting with anyone. You can't ask a tiger to change its stripes.

Other than that, not much is going on. Finals are coming up, but I'm in good shape for them. I've started thinking about how I'll be spending my summer now. I won't be taking as many classes, so I'm seeing what sort of a job I can get. Hopefully, I'll be able to find one that doesn't involve standing on a street corner and holding a giant sign, dressed up as one of my top five fears (it's probably number two -Dad when he's pissed gets number one. Although, I know that I can stand up to Dad. Whether I can if I were to meet a clown face-to-face is another issue entirely.)

Off to study. I suppose as daily rituals go, it's better than sparring or target practice. I think I'm the only one here who appreciates having to sit down for two hours (on an easy night) and pouring over my books and notes, which I only use when I can decipher them. My hand is steadier when I'm holding a gun than when I'm holding a pencil. That's Dad's grand legacy, I suppose.

Until next time,

Sam Winchester

24. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    Lol. Brother, really? Awkward!

Loved/ hated that he was a clown at the time.

Despite the clown bit great post and I can't wait for the next one!

25. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor Sam, better to find out early than later though!!

Great work! :D So got Supernatural fever! Wishing those DVDs will hurry up and become available in order to watch them!! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.