main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Supershadow: Why Old Timers Are Skeptical About Rumors

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Which seem fake to you?

2. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    The one in which they seem to be entering a throne seems like if they photoshopped the lighting in Jabba's Palace in ROTJ-There's just something that seems directly cropped out of that movie.

Their's also the figure of all the X-Wings parked in front of what looks like Dagobah mixed with Yavin IV.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It's also using old Stormtrooper designs. We all know the new leaked troopers.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The new trooper designs probably weren't finalised at that point.

5. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Exactly. Not to mention the old X-Wing designs. All of that makes me skeptical of their validity.

6. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I do like the idea of having an army of Dark Jedi silently building up force after the fall of the Empire in the background. At a time when the Jedi Order is slowly rebuilding and probably has the same number of followers, it could be a fight to the death for which one controls the Galaxy.

I used to like his idea of the Mandalorians rebuilding their war fleet also and becoming a new threat to the Republic.

7. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I think that expecting consistency out of concept art is misguided. Just look at some of the concept art from the OT and you can see how different the designs looked. And with this art we have at least three completely different designs for the cyborg. It seems a legit process of evolution to me, though we won't know in what direction until we see the finished result.

I'd say the larger sets seem to have been designed before the starfighter and costume designs were settled, probably because they take longer to scout out and build. The picture of the outdoor Rebel hanger is quite clearly identical to the set photographed in England, yet it has the original design for the X-Wings parked there. If they were producing this art based on the photographs people took of the set then the use of the original design would be a curious omission since there are several examples of the new X-Wing clearly visible in those shots.

The stormtroopers are not unchanged btw. If you look at them carefully you can see that they're actually quite different from the original versions.They're more bulked up and remind me more of footballers with their big shoulderpads and whatever those big things are on their arms. They seem to be wearing the old helmets (hard to tell at this quality) so I suspect this was an early stage in the design process. It's also worth noting that we haven't (as far as I know) seen a full stormtrooper yet, only the helmets. Judging from the style of those helmets I suspect the armor will be similarly streamlined and smooth-looking, but we might be seeing more bulked up versions like this.

TKT likes this.
  8. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Still, the fact that the X Wings are the same from the OT should raise some eyebrows.

9. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    ^Why in the previous EU the New Republic used them for decades after Endor.

10. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    Something something EU isn't canon.

But I'll admit that the scenes look weird with these older designs. However, there's just too much quality work done here to pass it off as just a regular artist's trick. If this is real then it's one of the most planned, concentrated, and brilliant trolls in the internet's history. Harkening back to Smash Bros, the final big rumor also had pictures backing it up, and a lot of people claimed that the art was traced from earlier work. Turns out the whole thing was real.

While I'm not totally sold on the picture leak, it's important to know that it has a step up from every other leak out there.

11. ArchStanton1862

Oct 18, 2014
    But why? If these are early works done to lay out the sets then they would have little else to go on but the original designs. And the most important question would be how those ships interact with their environment not the exact changes that the ships would undergo. After all, we already know that the new X-Wings look almost identical to the old ones, they've just had a few cosmetic changes. A set built to accommodate an old X-Wing would accommodate a new one just as easily.

TKT and Artoo-Dion like this.
  12. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    I disagree that they look "almost identical". It's clear theirs been an evolution in the design, as well as different color schemes and so forth

13. ArchStanton1862

Oct 18, 2014
    Well yes, there have been changes. Whether you consider them minor or not (and I consider the reduction of the four engines into two a fairly small change) the fact is that the basic outline of the craft is the same. So if you were to design a set around the old X-Wings and place new ones there instead it wouldn't change much of anything in terms of the layout and appearance of the set.

14. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    I think the quality of some of the artwork could be a matter of debate

I'm certainly not saying that everything is fake-with the amount of concept art in the hands of some folks it would be daunting to create 400 pieces of them. However, JJ is pretty clever and I have a hard time seeing so much slip out of his hands. It's very possible that either

A) Some of it is made by the crew to throw us off (JJ is clever)
    B) Some of it is indeed fan art
    C) It was an early stage of the concept art and we might not see it in the film at all.

One thing I will say though is that beside my preoccupation with the villain, the lack of exotic environments kind of disappoints me.

15. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I always look at the rumors for Episode VII as the place where I'll get my JJ Abrams Mystery fix. He's always done TV shows and films with an element of mystery in a lot of them, but Star Wars doesn't really offer the ability to fill it with that kind of thing, so I look at the rumors as where I'll see the mysteries and red-herrings.

Personally, I love rumors, and I love how many weird, crazy, or unverified ones we're getting in addition to the legitimate places of info like MSW and the main Force.net page. For me it keeps the excitement for the movie in me. All the rumors make it so you have no real idea what's going on, which is much more fun than not knowing anything until a trailer, in my opinion. It would be one thing if someone had found a script or something, but right now even the big places only have bits and pieces, meaning that you aren't necessarily ruining the whole movie if you read them. So for me, rumors for a movie are similar to a bad sequel: They might be great, inaccurate, or awful, but they won't affect my interpretation/feelings of the final product (or original work in the sequel aspect) so I'd rather have them be bad than not have them at all. However, I understand others might have a different opinion and I understand it. However, once a script is leaked or it becomes possible that someone has seen a workprint, I'll probably bail on the spoilers. I was once spoiled on a video game that I'd been waiting for for a while (I read info about it after it's release) and ever since then my general rule is "When someone out there has seen the product, get out of the spoilers".

Regarding Supershadow, I've never read any of that stuff since I was a kid during the PT, but thanks to the Wayback Machine I'll have some fun reading tonight. Everything sounds ridiculous, but I guess I might be thinking that about Pleaguis or Darth Luke after VII is released. (Assuming those don't occur).

TJSolo likes this.
  16. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    I am going to say that a lot of it really seems early material at best. Like, it feels like these were some of the early ideas. Also, a lot of it feels awfully familiar for Star Wars.

17. madmax

madmax Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    Oh, man. I was going through some old bookmarks and came across this. I think on page 8 of this thread, I mentioned something about a fleet of dreadnaughts in a Supershadow post. Oddly enough, in the new movie, a fleet of ISD's show up

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    According to the VD, they're bigger than ISDs - 2400m rather than 1600m. In Legends terminology, they would be battlecruisers.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This thread served its purpose back in 2013-2014, but there really isn't a reason to bring it back now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.