main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Support the London tube strike

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Feb 5, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    You know what they are doing is criminal. Shutting down the city. How many people died on the way to a hospital because they got caught up in a traffic congestion caused by the strike.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    7,401 people, according to The Daily Crumpet.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Even worse, have you thought of how cold my breakfast is getting?!

I too believe that inconveniencing me should be criminal.

Lord Vivec and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    What would really be funny is if some hackers attacked the unions computers and shut them down so the union couldn't do anything. That would be funny.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    There's no street justice like BEEZEL JUSTICE. This fall. On ABC.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  6. Bob Crow

Bob Crow Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 7, 2015
    SithLordLionelRichie: Hello. You think a £2k bonus for working 7 night shifts a year is unreasonable? That's £285 extra per night shift worked. It can't be THAT much more difficult to prevent tigers at night?

JonnySchwizz: Never and I jolly well hope so.

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    leaving aside the strike action, the lefty in me does think that, instead of berating RMT for getting a great deal for its members, that we all did more to ensure money went back into the workers hands instead of it all just going to CEO's and shareholders. vive la revolution, crow shall lead the way!!!

8. Bob Crow

Jul 7, 2015

How about using the money to reduce the cost of travelling? Our public transport system is a lot more expensive than any other in Europe.

Or, perhaps better, use the money to fund a study into how the Parisian Metro manages to be both driverless and free from marauding tigers.

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    after the revolution i will be a maruading tiger tamer. i can't wait

Bob Crow and harpua like this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    You won't get it, I heard Walter Palmer has applied for that position.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

And, although potentially looking to change, not open 24x7x365 like the NYC Subway and Bus system is.

12. Bob Crow

Jul 7, 2015
    Glory and trumpets, another tube strike planned for next week: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33512655

Here's an article by an A&E doctor on a typical night shift: http://www.theguardian.com/society/...ving-night-nhs-hospital-a-and-e-doctors-story

As a senior registrar with 10 years' experience, he will earn about the same as a newly qualified tube driver, although his pension plan will not be as good and he won't enjoy benefits such as free travel. He will have been through 5-7 years of medical school, amassed huge student debts which cut deeply into his salary still, given that his starting salary would have been far less than half that of a tube driver, in fact significantly less than a tube driver in training. His junior doctor colleagues, as well as nurses and paramedics who have also been through extensive medical training, will earn far less.

Many of you may think '**** the tube drivers and their whining over 7 night shifts a year for which they will be richly rewarded, money should go instead to medical staff working night shifts'.

To you, you miserable knowlessmen, I say this: where are the large cats in that article? The ice giants? The risk of repetitive strain injury from occasional pushing of a button that isn't made of pure, solid gold?

SUPPORT THE STRIKE!

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Are you never going to stop whining about this? The "save Darfur" campaigns were carried on with less intensity. For all the talk about class envy, it seems pretty clear whose jealous here. Just switch professions and be done with it.

14. Bob Crow

Jul 7, 2015
    Ah, flibbertygibbet, you dour and joyless individual, please don't derail my thread with your drivel. Your blindness to levity is entirely your problem and I have no idea what 'talk of class envy' you're blithering about.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I have nothing to contribute to the strike discussion or unions, because meh... but I do want to say how much I love the name "flibbertygibbet." :p

Juliet316 and Bob Crow like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What if Will Smith endorsed it? What then?

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I can't wait til Wocky is savaged by a tiger or a shark when trying to ride the tube because the union were denied access or something and nobody was there to keep the roving hoards of predatory creatures at bay.

Bob Crow likes this.
  18. Bob Crow

Jul 7, 2015
    I just hope Jojoba Wonky doesn't interfere too much. If the unions don't secure golden buttons for all drivers, there's no way the can prevent the breaking of the Fourth Seal, leaving the entire underground system at the mercy of the Rider of the Pale Horse.

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It would be good if the button could press itself. Sometimes you might be mid nap when someone who has actual pressures with their job leaps in front of the carriage and moving from a barely awake posture to being awake and pressing the gold (or platinum) button could take precious sleep time away. It is every Working Man's right to have a nap on the job, and that shouldn't be impeded. Besidse they are, after all, fighting the Great Old One himself in their sleep, which is the realm where he's most vulnerable.

20. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Good luck to everyone caught up in this tonight.

Amazing that this can still be allowed to happen in a first world 21st century country

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but... workers of the world, untie those belts and let it all hang out!!!

Bob Crow likes this.
  22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I don't mind, it's almost a good thing to see English people taking action over something they perceive as unfair. It's one of the few things I like about the French, if they don't like something, they make it known.

Point Given likes this.
  23. Bob Crow

Jul 7, 2015
    Strike's going ahead, comrades!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33773658

Update so far:

London Underground offered a measly 2% payrise, £2000 bonus for night drivers and a £500 one off bonus. Responding to concerns about work-life balance, they gave assurances that night shifts were non-mandatory - anyone could choose not to work them - and redrafted rotas to ensure that no-one would be working any more weekends than they were before.

The Glorious Unions rejected this outright and - because this is about work-life balance and not money - demanded more money. They also demanded the hiring of more staff, including staff for ticket offices that are no longer used by customers but constitute the front line in protection of the travelling public against tigers, werewolves and ice giants. The final demand was for a 32 hour, four day week because saving the capital from being sacked by Visigoths or crushed underfoot by a huge Japanese dinosaur-lookin'-thing is hard work.

Here's a picture of a few of our tube drivers picketing. As you can see, they are fine specimens of humanity, a true elite. Especially the guy whose sleeves come down over his hands. Look at the fierce intellect burning behind those eyes, the hint of the rippling musculature of an elite athlete showing through his well-tailored garments. Truly a god among men, holding back the tide of darkness and tiger-related death that would wash over this city were it not for his steadfast button pushing.

[​IMG]

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    This is what's going on with all them fine Working Folk, barely scraping together a livin', fightin' for their rights.

[​IMG]

Although hard to tell in this image, I have been reliably informed the corpse is of one Robert "Bob" Whittaker, a 53 year old accountant from Sevenoaks, in Kent.

Bob Crow likes this.
  25. Bob Crow

Jul 7, 2015
    That's what happens when you deny the Working Man his Diamond Encrusted Gold Button with Platinum Trim.