main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Support the London tube strike

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Feb 5, 2014.

1. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    That's certainly another way to go.

Oh, and for anyone wanting to present the Docklands Light Railway as evidence, with it's driverless trains, complete lack of ticket offices, cleanliness and efficiency... the reason people aren't constantly mauled, harmed or diddled to death by marauding tigers on that line is that there are many old fashioned underground stations nearby so the tigers still keep their distance.

Scale back staffing in ticket offices and you WILL all die of health and safety or tiger wounds

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, here come the bleedin' 'eart lefties, who never ride the Tube anyway because they're too busy cycling from coffee shop to coffee shop...

slightly_unhinged, you described my Tube experience in very eloquent terms, thank you sir. I wasn't sure if the train driver was playing that game kids play where they make noises too close to the microphone to hear how buzzy and incoherent it sounds. Thank you sir, and you're doing the Lord's work.

He 100% summed up the Tube experience, though.
    Tube apps are the most useful apps I've used, second only to Angry Birds. Oh and the one that changes peoples faces in photos.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not possible without data service, Ender. I felt like such a troglodyte, living in another century. Or I guess what wocky feels like every day, since he'd rather cost the public a tremendous amount of money than download an app to his phone if he lived there.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The app I had didn't need data service; it would tell you that if you wanted to go from A to B what line/s to take and where to change. It would also tell you your journey would take X minutes, largely due to the engineering prowess of the driver and assuming that tigers hadn't formed a single unit and decided to overwhelm one station in force rather than small skirmish attacks on many. It didn't tell you when the next one was, but that's ok because the longest wait's 10mins in offpeak.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Also, Jello, they have this curious wall art at Tube stations that looks like a kid has drawn terrible shapes with different coloured crayons. Turns out they're actually maps.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

By tracing your finger along the route, and using the circle symbol to indicate where a line change is possible, you can navigate to your destination without someone half listening to your question and avoiding eye-contact (mandatory on the tube).

e.g. I want to catch the tube from Baker St* to Tower Hill, because I'm a tourist so I've been to the Beatles store and the Sherlock Holmes museum, and I need to gawk at the crown jewels or Henry VII's enormous codpiece. Using this "map", I see that I could take the Pink line to Aldgate, then take the yellow line to Tower Hill.

Of course, being an American you'll probably end up at Earl's Court or Clapham North.

* Every time the train pulled in here the opening bars of that bloody Gerry Rafferty song would pop into my head.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I always ended up at Cockfosters or St. John's Wood.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I always loved the blue line around Piccadily and Oxford Circus. Gosh there's a lot of red trousers there.

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Is that really what happened? I honestly can't remember. :p

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, you guys did have quite the lead on me in drinking... I like to imagine you guys were just getting sloshed the entire time I spent at the Palace :p

halibut likes this.
  10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Not quite, we had sandwiches (I made vegetarian cheese sandwiches just for you and you didn't even show up in time for them... :( ) and cake and we played football (or at least tried to before we were told off :p ). It's your fault that you were late... :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It was a lovely afternoon. hal displayed his goalkeeping might.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So, excepting a few armchair leftists, we're agreed that the strike is a git move?

13. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Don't come crying to me when someone loses a leg, Mr Sai

[​IMG]

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I raped and killed 4 BART workers in your honor, Ender. If you want sloppy seconds, i can send you their corpses.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    the fancy epaulets suggest an income of near £50,000 per annum, so I can only conclude based on the dated haircut and moustache that the gentleman in the above is in fact, a proud train driver and not Michael Palin?

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I'm sure a very large manhunt will be conducted after than behavior.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not my fault! Blame Her Majesty for having such a sweet house. :p

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Listen, Yank... you and your ilk are in no fit state to point the finger of blame at Her August Majesty. You apologise now, and show your apology by posting the flag of Her United Kingdom, the Coat of Arms of the House of Windsor, and saying "sorry, Ma'am". In your head, this must should like "maarm" and not like a sheep bleating (a common affliction of the American accent, sadly).

Or I'll have at you.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    If i were in LA the police would shoot two innocent women and burn down my cabin.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's actually not how you say Ma'am to Her Majesty. Please consult a copy of Debrett's, you vile antipodean.

21. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    COLONIAL FIGHT!

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's how you should talk, Iello, to overcome the American-ness you were born with.

They're not a colony anymore, remember? They broke away, wrote tonnes of dreadful fanfic, and thought they were special as a result.

(I mean, they are special, but that's not what they mean.)

Liberty Bell? More like Liberty Bell-End!

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Pete, Ender is not actually a Brit.... he's Australian. He just has a boner for Britain.

Ender, Pete actually despises living in London.. :p

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You would have a point if you were referring to anyone other than HM The Queen but alas you are wrong in this instance to suggest such a proletarian pronunciation. And actually, I would note that the Conservative strain of the Received Pronunciation (such as used by Her Majesty, the court, and certain older hereditary peers) is a little bit different from the RP you might here today, since it still preserves the pre-war inflections.

But really you should know better than to try this with me. I'll royalist you under the table, sir!

And I wouldn't be so proud of your silly country. I'm willing to bet the British monarchy is more popular in my country than yours. We had a record audience for the royal wedding here, whereas you people recently had a referendum where you almost became a republic. :p

edit: Harps, I think he was calling the both of us colonials, hence colonial fight :p