main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sure is quiet in here...

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Doesn't take much. Everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen. ;)

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    As for myself (and Josie)..things have been on the hetic side. Between getting new kids in my classroom...trying to get a massive thesis done for my Master's Program (and this is just ONE due for one class at that too).. and more importantly, our Mom being in the hospital (going through the gamet of serious, stable and critical conditions...literally can change back and forth and up and down from hour to hour).. for the past 12 days. So things are really shakey on what we can and cannot plan for right now.

But, Im hoping things will settle down soon. Plans have been made for events...it's just seeing if we will be able to attend them or not. To quote Yoda: "Difficult to see, the future is."

But we are defintiely still around...just taking deep long breaths and trying to prepare for "come what may."

Hugs to all

Master K

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    [:D]

Just remember Kim, when life gets you down...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/anupma/Dory.jpg]

Just keep swimming...

4. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    [:D]

I am so sorry to hear how things are going and, of course, am hoping and hoping and hoping that they improve. Sending lots of love your way.

To add to that, let me apologize. My enthusiasm for keeping contact on the boards has been expressed badly. To whit, "Gee, it's quiet in here"...which comes off like criticism. It isn't meant as such. Please mark it down to the fact that I find the people on this board charming, funny, and interesting. It provides a spot of fun in my work day to drop in here and see new posts, and I let that enjoyment manifest as disappointment (self-centered of me) when that fun wasn't there for stretches of time. I am sorry for that.

Obviously, real life totally trumps fantasy life any day. You on the boards are not here to entertain me. And in addition to the really hard stuff happening for Master K and family right now (and I am very sad to hear it), I also understand Sid's comment about burn-out. Been there. Done that.

So, in summary--while I love the contact the boards allow us, and would love to spend more time OL or IRL with the folks on the SC FanForce boards, I will stop twittering here on my end. Everybody has more than enough on their plate without this sort of behavior from me. And, sadly, a lot of that stuff "on the plate" right now is of the hard-to-endure, life-impacting kind. :(

Lots of love to you all! And when contact happens, it'll happen! :) Until then, you're all in my thoughts! :)

- Kai

5. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Kai...

DON'T YOU BLOODY DARE QUITE POSTING!!!!

These boards and the fun I have on them are what keeps me going at times, through the delightful "Summer of the Knee" (hey at least I'm on the official CA Surgical and Insurance Reports for Ambulatory Surgery as a "First Ever to be....." [face_laugh] to The Never-Ending-Master's Program (would be easier just to take a saber and get to business) to General Life-Crap (Don't even ask) to the Teacher's Aide that Makes Anakin look like a Rank Beginner (Oh...this is sooooooo fun at times) to Current Health Crisis with Mom....(sigh)

These boards make me laugh, get silly and get through some unbelievably horrific moments. Through them I've been involved in things I would have never though possible, met some awsome new people that have become my family and love the camaderie. Am I Getting burned out...no way. Ready to take on more here?.. Absolutely. Both Jos and I have plans for events, cons and get-toethers, new outfits..Bring it on. New and exciting responsibilites and duties in the SW Universe have come forth. So, while we might be a little shaky on the confirmations of everything, we will still Surf The Force and ride it out.

So, don't feel bad you posted. Never ever EVER took it wrong. Smiled and laughed when I saw it. Physically a bit worn down... emotionally even more so... But nothing a smile, some Saber Kata, and "Tall boots and a Billow" won't take care of. (Hmmm may have to go watch Velvet Goldmine...got a new copy. THAT always makes me feel better).[face_laugh]

Hugs To All and May The Force CONTINUE To Be With You![:D]

THE Master (Accept no substitutes!) :D

6. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Huh, wha?

Whoops, did not mean to throw a wet blanket on the fiery enthusiasm of others, really sorry for that. I was simply explaining our absence and lowered morale level. Please, keep up the fun stuff, like you Kai, it helps make the day a little brighter.

7. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    And Just keep swiming..just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

;)

8. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Swimming, swimming, swimmingswimmmingswimming.
    Now you've got that song, it's in my head! [face_laugh]

I agree with Master K and the others, this group is wonderful when you need to escape the "badness" of real life. I love coming out to the Santa Cruz boards because you guys always have some quirky something-or-other going on that I can join in on. If it weren't for this group I would never have met Kim or Rachel or any of you (I can trace it all the way back to Chanel actually, it's her fault I pester you all ;) ). And you are what keep me going when I'd rather crawl into a corner and weep.
    You are my family in the Force.

[:D] everyone
    [:D] [:D] Master K!!

9. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    ..And Chanel is the reason I met Matt and Dale and the SF FF..... She brought a lot of light and pure moments of fun insanity into our lives. [:D]

After I posted 3 of our upper grade teachers came down and asked me if I had the Make-A-Wish DVD on me (I did cause I've been asked to do a presentation to our School Board tonight). One mass showing turned into another and into another and so on. Since I also had the Behind-The-Scenes with me..got to show that as well. So relieving those moments were both great and hard. While it signaled the end of some things for myself, it also marked the beginning of new adventures, friends and more importantly ...family! (Oh Gods..kick me.. I'm getting philosophical here).

When things are under control, I definitely need to put on the tall boots and feel that "billow" behind me as I walk! (See what you started, Kai) ;) So, hopefully soon, I'll see about setting up a time and us all getting together and playing! Maybe an upcoming Con, or SW Event, or maybe just getting together and being silly and fun and riding rollercoasters till we almost puke! (Right Kai) or the Tilt-A-Whirl until we are pancaked and "one with the back of the seat" (Right LadyCieon?) Or just going up to the Endor "Happy Place" and just chill under the stars (How about it, Siri..we've been trying to get up there for...oh.. HOW many years LOL) Or just sitting around being, "Jedi on the Couch." (Memories..ok there is defintiely a FanFilm in that..right, Hawkie?) :D

Or just all say Lets go to DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!![face_dancing]

10. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Yipe! LOL! Now I've got you and Sid worried! No, no, no! It's just the curse of internet communication! I wasn't planning to quit posting! I just wanted to apologize for coming off needy or grumpy, and to stress that I do realize what it's like to have rotten stuff in one's real life getting in the way of fandom, and also what it's like to feel a bit tired and burnt out! :) Don't worry, I'll still hang around posting random stuff until or unless someone says, "Kai. Please. Just knock it off now. No. Really."

Wow, Master K, you have more than the average load of blech to deal with right now. Did I even know about your Padawan (er, teachers aide)? And Sid, no worries at all.

*Big Un-Jedi-Like Smooch to you all*

- Kai

11. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Yeah, I've got a few fannish things that leave me happy and a little sad upon the "rewatch" or "reread." For just the reasons you mentioned--that they happened at times of transition, and embody both sweet and bittersweet, and sometimes tinctured with just plain bitter. And yet they still mean an immense amount to me. You were part of such a great thing, though, that Make a Wish project. :)

And yeah, when things are under control, I hope you get a chance to do "the billow." LOL!

It sounds like, since things HAVE been so nuts for everybody, perhaps a quiet get-together might be nice eventually (although riding the rollercoasters until we nearly puked had its own snubfighter charm to it). Movie night at a house, or dinner at a restaurant. I dunno.

On an unrelated note (just to be random, as I warned I would be in an earlier post), if I had to come up with a "baddie" costume for SW, what should it be? Clearly I'm a little short for storm (or clone) trooper. So...what? Canon? Non-canon? EU? I am soliciting suggestions!

- Kai

12. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Definitely need a fanfilm for "Jedi on the Couch"!

You're never too short to be a TIE pilot Kai!!! You'll be like me, Stealth Size!!!

Okay, can you tell I'm a bit wired tonight. (aka exclamation point-happy)Time for Hawkie to lay off the caffeine.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Jedi on the Couch... [face_laugh] Good times...

14. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Ok we definitely have to do "Jedi on the Couch!" (Kai you will LOVE this!). Also, Kai start thinking about THE Party at BayCon...we only have...SIX months and counting LOL[face_laugh]

Hey guys, you need to come to BayCon...Hawkie, it's not THAT far from you ..and Miana...its just plain small-convention, kick back fun!

As for a bad guy Character....hmmm....Well, I've always wanted a Trooper outfit. or a Tie Fighter..hmmm might be even better as that was the very very very FIRST costume I ever saw at a convention. [face_thinking] hmmmmm

15. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Oh yeah,,, I do have my EU Jedi Character...Not Quite Light/Not Quite Dark.. LOL..may do the outfit at some point in time...and then there's my "Biker Jedi" LOL..

16. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    When is BayCon?
    I'm going to try to go to every convention I can this year. I missed out on almost everything last year including Wondercon.
    You ARE all going to WonderCon...aren't you? :D

17. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    TionneHawk - I missed out on all the cons last year as well. (Well, except for C3. Ok, I missed out on all the local cons.) I'd had plans to go up to WonderCon, actually... I'd never been to it, and was curious... but then my brother-in-law, who was visiting, decided he wasn't so interested. He wanted to go to miniature golf instead. And then it ended up pouring rain. As in Kamino pouring rain. Grrrr. Ok, calm. A Jedi has to be serene. [face_plain]

The (local) con I really want to get to next year is BayCon, though. I've heard about it for years, but for various reasons never been able to make it. And hey... if there's a party involved... ? That sounds like fun! :D

Kai - I wish I had suggestions for a bad guy character costume, but I've never been able to think of one from the SW universe for myself, either. Stargate, sure. There are nifty-cool bad-guy costume options there. But aside from non-canon EU dark Jedi possibilities... Hmm.

Kai, btw... since the topic has been on all that other stuff above, I wanted to apologize for not making it up for the DVD event in SF, after I'd said I was going to try to at the Halloween party. My mom's health hasn't been great either, so most of my excursions are always contingent on how she's doing at the time. Unfortunately, she wasn't doing terribly great that week. I feel like such a dweeb, though... I love getting together with you guys, have so much fun when I do, always say how much I want to get more involved... and then I go and disappear for ages. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't meaning to be such a flake, and that I am looking forward to doing stuff when possible.

Master--Kenobi - I'm sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well. I hope that things improve!

Where's the Endor Happy Place? :confused:

Oh, and Kai - we could always combine some of the suggestions above... first ride the rollercoasters till nearly puking, and then have a quiet get-together after that. :)

Oy. Ok. Late for work. Gotta go!

18. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Ok, so what IS "Jedi on the Couch," anyway? I am now intrigued...and mildly frightened. ;)

Um, I definitely plan on doing Baycon next year, and intend on going to Wondercon as well. When is that, again? But yes, I plan on going. San Diego this coming year...not so sure about that. There'd have to be a huge incentive--either an amazing masquerade concept to be involved in, or some drop-dead incredible guest appearances...something. The con is getting to be SO huge and SO overwhelming that in some ways, it's not all that fun anymore. In others, it's amazing. Weirdly, the most fun I had this year at San Diego was...leaving the con and seeing the "Fellowship!" musical performance. Now that's comedy.

But like everybody is saying, the more excuses to see my fellow FF buddies, the better!

Taeriel, no worries. As it turns out, I didn't make the DVD event either! Bad me! And I had no good excuse except for being very very tired. I'm sorry that your mother has health problems. :( But it was delightful to see you at the Jabba's Palace party!!! I think one of my favorite parts was just standing around outside the club chatting with you. :)

Tionne...yeah, you must come to Baycon. Or anywhere else where we can share your company! :)

As for costumes...hmmm. I must ponder. I was thinking generic Imp officer, since it doesn't matter how darned short I am, in that case (unlike armor). Of course, fans-as-Imperials have a much higher percentage of women than the Empire does! (EU's insistence on throwing bunches of "anomolous" Imperial female officers into the mix notwithstanding!)

I am tempted to try to do a female Revan costume, but that (frankly) is a lot of work and I'm not sure if I can overcome my natural inclinations toward sloth to accomplish it. It'd be fun, though--in spite of the fact most people would look at it and go, "What the heck is she supposed to be?"

- Kai

19. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    As for female Imps, I agree there aren't many, but if you look very closely in RotJ (I think) you can see several women dressed in Imp uniforms when the Emperor arrives. :D

Wondercon is in February..some holiday weekend I think (forget which). I still need to find a hotel room.

20. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I'll have to check that out!

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll second Bridget's question: When IS Baycon?

And Jedi on the Couch... gosh, I don't even know how to describe that...

22. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Baycon is Memorial Day Weekend.

We tend to call it "relax-a-con". The programming is not terribly exciting except for a few highlights, the stars that show up are rather minor. It's mostly a "literary con", a few great authors, but mostly just locals. Where the con shines is in the entertainment value...

1. Parties. Awesome parties in the past, from belly dancing at the Klingon Bar to various fan based parties, it's a great place to meet people, snarf free munchies, and just hang out or show off.

2. Friends. We see people there that we see only once a year, great people who are funny, witty and have a great time.

3. Costumes. Lots of costumes, lots of people IN costume. And later in the evening a few that are somewhat out of costume...

4. The Sunday night dance. Usually themed with a live DJ, high tech lighting, and great dance tunes. Memorable moment: Using "Mom" as a limbo stick during a salsa dance. Oh, and it's where Sid got his black balloon from, the night it was themed for "Death Records"

5. Swim-in movies. Overlooking the pool is a big blank wall. Saturday and Sunday night, they hook up a projector and you can watch movies from your hotel room or while floating in the pool. Usually some new release on DVD, but also classic shorts, cartoons, and even fan films like I.M.P.S. Got to see myself on the "big screen" in an Imperial Uniform, was the highlight of my year, heh.

6. The hot tub. Say no more.

7. The Coffee Bar. Good food, but better still it's between the dealer's room and the hotel rooms, making it a great place to meet friends and people watch. Oh, and the quiet bar / sushi bar is also a great place for meeting with friends.

And it's close to home for many of us, so it's like a vacation without the long drive or plane flight. We almost always get a room as the late night stuff just goes on and on, it's easier for us to go crash than drive and play deer dodgeum in the hills.

In short: Not shiny on the outside, but a dang good time, maybe the best all year.

23. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Indeed...Jedi on the Couch can not be described...it must be experienced. Think Trey would consider donating the couch to us for...sentimental reasons? ;)

BayCon: I am SO there! Sounds like a great time with low stress.

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Memorial day weekend? That's basically the weekend before finals. :( So, that'll be a negative for next year.

25. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Kai - Oooh, I hadn't thought about Revan. Hehe. Maybe because I still haven't gotten that far in the game. *sigh* There's always so much other stuff to do. But anyway, Revan sounds cool. And hey, if you were to make a Revan costume, maybe it would inspire me to actually finish the Bastila costume I started earlier this year. :) That reminds me of one or two other possibilities for you, too... I haven't played KOTOR2 yet, but I've seen some cool costumes for female bad characters from it.

I'm with Kai. "Jedi on the Couch" is starting to sound more and more intriguing and frightening as time goes on. I mean... Jedi. Couch. What are the possibilities? The mind boggles.

Sid - thanks for the description of BayCon. As much as I've known BayCon is there, I didn't have much of an idea of what went on, other than the fact that it's suppose to be literary and kinda quiet as far as guests go. I had been planning to come on and ask what day would be best to attend... but now you make more than one day sound cool. I'd also been planning to commute from home - 'cause really, why spend the money on hotel when it's local? - but now you're making the hotel sound so cool. Oy. Maybe thanks isn't quite the word I wanted after all. :p But yeah... the best cons I've been to have been great because of the people to hang out with, not the programming or guests. (Well, ok, there was the time Michael Shanks came to Starfest; that's an exception to the rule. But I had fun watching him together with my friends, so it still comes back to friends, right?)

Gah. You know, all this talk about cons next spring is making me think. Spring isn't that far away, relatively speaking. It's probably time to actually start working on costumes, if I'm going to get anything done. Eep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.