main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Surrender - one post vignette (Luke/Vader) ROTJ

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by rhonderoo, Nov 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Surrender

Darth Vader struggled to find his son within the perimeter of his plastisteel lenses. His breathing was labored and if life was just - his head would be parted from his body by his own flesh and blood?s saber, as his arm had. Dazedly he realized that he was holding up his left hand in?surrender? Lord Vader had never surrendered to any sentient being in his lifetime. At his point, his mind swirled with the possibilities. Could this boy, this barely trained Jedi have bested him? He suddenly realized that his head had indeed not parted from his body and this boy, his son, was refusing the Dark Side.

?You?ve failed your highness. I?ll never turn to the Dark Side. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.?

?like my father before me.

With those words, images of a young handsome man came to mind ? brash but compassionate, arrogant but needy, good yet misled?

With a heave of his body, Vader stood. Was it Vader? He could no longer tell. There were so many memories ? of podracing through the canyons of Tatooine, of receiving his master?s treasured rock, of picnics in fields, of his wedding, of flying battles, and of lava?.

He had begun to think that maybe his son was right after all, that maybe there was still good in him. He thought of his son and his proclamation of love and a belief in the man that was Anakin Skywalker that Luke had held on to, and knew it would be his only saving grace if he was to right just one wrong that had happened in the past twenty years.

?Father... please...? Luke was reaching to him.

He knew he didn?t have much time, as he looked to Luke writhing on the ground in front of him, he knew that this was the greatest thing he would do with his life. With all his might, he turned to Palpatine. It was time to end this?

2. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Hey, a micro-mini-viggy! Good read, though. Interesting look into that single moment.

3. _across-the-stars_

_across-the-stars_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2003
    You've captured that moment so well!

I particularly liked his brief flashback to random events in Anakin's life...

That last paragraph was beautifully written.

Good stuff.

~ats~

4. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    As far as I am concerned this should be added to the ROTJ novel, it explained that little scene so well.

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OOOH! Another jem that has been hidden away!

Lovely!

6. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Great viggie I like how you described Vader's memories. How conflicting he was.
    Love it

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks for the nice compliments, guys. :) [face_blush]

8. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    I know I always read more between the lines of these highly emotional scenes. It's great to see someone else's perceptions for a change. Rather like finding candy you didn't know you had... :)

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm upping this, it's been awhile since its been on the front page! [face_smile]

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    That was great!! I love seeing OT scenes in a new (PT) light :)

11. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Ooh, nice job! You conveyed a wealth of emotions in such a tiny package. Impressive. :)

12. SITH_LORD_MARIANA

SITH_LORD_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2004
  13. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    I loved this viggie!

With a heave of his body, Vader stood. Was it Vader? He could no longer tell. There were so many memories ? of podracing through the canyons of Tatooine, of receiving his master?s treasured rock, of picnics in fields, of his wedding, of flying battles, and of lava?.

This part was so sad, but it really conveys the turmoil Vader must have been experiencing at that pivotal moment.

He thought of his son and his proclamation of love and a belief in the man that was Anakin Skywalker that Luke had held on to, and knew it would be his only saving grace if he was to right just one wrong that had happened in the past twenty years.

Beautiful line.

14. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Thank you, Gina! :)

15. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Very well done Rhonderoo. This is one of my favorite scenes and you described Vader's thoughts so well.

I also reviewed this in the Support your Local Writers thread here

16. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    One of the best viggies I've read, so much conveyed in so little words! I love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.