main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Survey] We're moving, please tell us what you want

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    That post is an extension of a 3SA social thread conversation. Please stick to the topic more closely in Comms. Thanks.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't feel like reading the rest of the thread, but do we have an official move date? End of March?

3. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    We have no date at all. Sorry.

4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    So there isn't an eviction notice? We just have to leave or (the owner) will have pay more money to IGN, right? Well, when is IGN going to send the bill? I assume we'll want to be out before then, right?

5. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    We've got a forum developed and waiting. No need to panic. The sky is staying where it is.

6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I know DS. I know I sound like a nervous nelly, but I'm just tired of 'the man'. I look forward to the new boards and to a smooth transfer.

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Nobody moreso than me.

8. Balrog_Paradox

Balrog_Paradox Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2003
    I'd definitely like to see the Thread Index carried over from the JCC. A quick reply box would be handy too, though not really necessary. Also, the 5 smiley per post rule should be re-instituted, and perhaps the smileys be brought onto the reply page (just the original ones, not all 70 of them).

OPPM should stay, just cause it's fun to watch people complain about it and beat it up all the time. Such anger.

9. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    I jus want new Nute Gunray avatars.

10. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    I'm sure this has been said, but can we PLEASE get rid of the OPPM? Or at least make in only apply within the same board.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  12. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
  13. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm sure this has been said, but can we PLEASE get rid of the OPPM? Or at least make in only apply within the same board.

We're actually thinking of making it a five minute wait, and a ten minute wait has also been proposed.

[face_devil]

14. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    I think I would probably kill myself. :p

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I think for every time someone asks, we should add another minute. [face_devil]

16. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I was thinking about that too, Grimby.

That, or every time someone complains, add a second.

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    God, there'd be people posting once a year. Hmmm, that might not be too bad. Put me down for OPPY

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    1) What existing features here are most important to you?
    ...does IGN boards count? :p Well, other than that, the icons, YIM smilies, banners...

2) What new features would you most like to see?
    I don't really have any kinds of requests for new things. I'm most concerned about preserving some of the existing thngs.

3) What existing features here are least important to you?
    Spaces in names ;) Seriously, the features that are not important to me might be ones I don't even know we have so I really couldn't say.

4) What features that we don?t have that are common on some other boards do you feel are unimportant?
    Little icons by threads stating if they're 'hot' or not; pictures in sigs (please no); picking your own icons.

5) Are there any particular message board systems that you really like? What do you like about them?
    I really love IGN boards, actually :) I'm pretty pertrubed that we have to move. Especially when I just installed my nifty Mozilla plugin :(

6) Are there any forums that you think should be preserved as 100% intact, and should not be pruned at all?
    3SA (I don't read spoilers, but I think preserving pre-film speculation is priceless. Old usenet groups about RotJ speculation sure are)
    FanFiction (any of the boards with stories. Don't mess up or delete anyone's stories. That would be terrible)
    SW Saga (there are some ongoing and incredibly thoughtful threads here)

7) Are there any changes to our interface that you would like to see? Is there anything about our interface that you think must be kept as is?
    As I've said, I really like our interface and wouldn't want it changed too much. I definitely like having usernames and icons out to the side... I like the top and side banner scheme a lot. I really don't want these boards to end up looking like the lame TF.n new mainpage, basically.

8) Is there anything else that you feel is important and should be taken into consideration with this move?
    I hope we get to keep post counts and reg dates :)

IMPORTANT EDIT: This smiley and this one would greatly improve the tone of certain humour posts that can be lost in e-space. I'm serious, these smileys are on another board I go to and they're quite useful. Gimme.

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. Balrog_Paradox

Balrog_Paradox Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2003
    Speaking of smileys, I dare anyone to say they dont want this one.

20. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I love that smiley!

21. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Right--I just needed somewhere to tell The Powers That Be that I love the "last post by" feature that's just been added. Now I don't have to squint at post times and think, "Okay, 11:41--that's uh, 2:41 my time. Was that me who posted then, or did somebody else reply right after me? Oh, I better just go open the stupid thread."

I'm not trying to derail the moving discussion, but the "what do you want" thread seemed to be the place people were asking for this feature, and I couldn't find a thread in which to post anything nice in Comms. :p If there is one, it's not in the first two pages or listed in the "rules and guidlines" sticky.

22. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Right--I just needed somewhere to tell The Powers That Be that I love the "last post by" feature that's just been added."

Um, am I missing something? Because I don't see that here, nor will it be part of the new boards.

23. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    D'oh! It was on last night, and as of 3:10 EST, it's still on the Fanfic Resource Forum board. There's no way we could keep that? It's awfully handy. :(

Edit: I'm not crazy! I'm not! It *does* exist! [image=http://img217.exs.cx/img217/7588/ffboard6gb.gif]

24. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    I see it too, now... just appeared a minute ago. Weird!

//edit: Not sure if I like it - could be quite useful I guess, but it makes the index page look kind of cluttered.

But I'm amazed they managed to add a new feature without any downtime. ;)

//edit 2: It's gone again! I'm so confused! :p

25. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    ::Whew::, thanks, Morgaine, I was about to go get a name plate that says "Fox Mulder" and stick it on my desk.

Edit: Aiiigh! Okay, maybe I *do* need a Mulder name plate. You want one that says "Scully?" :p

This is a neat feature if you play with it . . . if you click on the user's name in the "Last post by" field, it takes you right to their user profile. Clicking on the little arrows on the right takes you to the thread's last page, with the post by the named user highlighted, as if you'd gotten there through their user activity page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.