main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Surviving Carbonite Freezing

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Scott109, May 30, 2016.

1. Scott109

Scott109 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2016
    How was Han Solo able to survive the carbonite freezing process? How was he still able to breathe, and how was his heart still able to keep beating?

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    He was able to survive because it's a movie with elements of science fiction, aka fictional science.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The carbonite freezing placed Han in a state of suspended animation. His heart was still beating, albeit very slowly. Presumably, all the equipment attached to the side of the carbonite slab was used to monitor Han's vitals and provide the appropriate nutrition and other necessities.

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Yes. And CT has also survived it.

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Y'know how in some sci-fi movies/video games/etc., they have this theme/plot revolving around people being frozen in stasis (usually in pods, ala Fallout 4)? Well that was kind of what happened with Han, only his stasis was a slab of frozen carbonite. As timmoishere stated, the panel on the side of the slab was what kept him alive.

6. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Do you have a Lucas era source of canon substantiating these contentions that Han continues to breathe and that his heart continues to beat?

7. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    They have the technology to do so. Lando checked the side with the lights and dials and told Vader that Han is still alive. The Family Guy scene where Peter is uncarbonited still cracks me up.

8. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [face_whistling] (regarding the difficulty of the subject, great tough question you brought up Scott109)

Well, checking some original materials the carbon freezing chamber is a Zero degree freezing chamber. The ROJ materials suggest it's a "carbonite shell" protecting his protruding features. Yet, freezing a human body to 0° Celsius is technically impossible (according to our understanding of human biology) and the part that really troubles me is the breathing problem. Even in a comatose state, air still has to find its ways into the lungs.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, but this isn't the real world. This is a universe where people have been frozen before and they've survived.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  10. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    What source says that Han still has respiration and circulation while in carbon freeze?

What materials say 'zero degree freezing chamber'? Draft / unused ESB script / radio play / novelization? A few things could be said about the generalized configuration Lucas sets up. The first being that Lando's reliability is already suspect because he has betrayed Han, and now he has clearly stated that the facility is for carbon freezing with the implication of goods or products or inanimate objects, and that using it on a living human like Luke Skywalker might kill him. So. How is it that Lando is suddenly supposed to possess the credibility and credentials to know factually that Han Solo is in "perfect hibernation", whatever that means in this context? Was he a doctor before a gambling scoundrel? Did he check webmd.com after Vader altered the deal? Is a consumer of ESB, consuming strictly the material of the film ESB, supposed to conclude that suspension of this kind exists routinely in GFFA so that Lando, Administrator of a gas mine, can have a basis to conclude what is and is not 'perfect hibernation' of a living human?

Second, how is 'hibernation', by any definition, squared against the repetition of conjugates of base verb 'freeze'? Lucas is an artful and wily practitioner of koan, and/or/but the sum of meaning should incorporate and represent all the pertinent words used, not solely the last. Let it be only me, but I would rank the stage direction and expository descriptions of the script, plus C-3PO's reliable expository role, over the dialogue of a less than perfectly reliable character. Who we know was of a class with Han Solo himself, who we know was much less than a perfectly reliable character. I'm afraid the surface of this question is not entirely stable.

11. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Hernalt

Screenplay from October 1978, almost identical to the final version:

379. INT CARBON-FREEZING CHAMBER - CLOUD CITY - BES
    PIN
    With Boba Fett in the lead, a squad of Stormtrooper
    s bring in
    Han, Leia and Chewie. Strapped to Chewie's back, wi
    th only his
    head, torso and one arm assembled is Threepio. Thre
    epio's head
    faces the opposite direction from Chewie's and the
    droid is
    constantly twisting around in a vain effort to see
    what's
    happening. His one attached arm is animate and expr
    essive,
    intermittently pointing, gesturing and covering his
    eyes. The
    remaining pieces of his body are roughly bundled. t
    o the
    Wookiee's back. His legs and other arm stick out at
    odd angles
    from the pack.
    Vader turns to Boba Fett.
    VADER
    I'll make your goods easier for you to transport. P
    ut Captain
    Solo in the zero-cold chamber.
    BOBA
    But the chamber is for power goods. What if he does
    n't survive?
    This slime is worth a lot to me...

12. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    This answers the OP the fastest. Biological samples far smaller than an adult human have been frozen for long periods, and then demonstrated function after thawing. For tldr, do a find on "cat brains" and on "rabbit kidney". (I do recommend reading the entire page.)

http://www.benbest.com/cryonics/vitrify.html

Lt. Hija likes this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I wonder if someone could survive being frozen in ice as easily as being frozen in carbonite or stasis in the SW universe. Anyone know? Iron Lord out there somewhere?

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    SateleNovelist11

I really recommend you read the essential parts in the link Hernalt provided. The essential problem with freezing a human body to 0° Celsius remains that the water in our bodies will immediately produce ice crystals that would destroy our brains, if I understood correctly.

Yet, I'm still not sure I understand why some insects and amphibians survive being frozen, while the human body wouldn't. [face_dunno]

15. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Ah, I see. Thanks. I'm more of a right-brained person. Not left-brained at all, but I do enjoy reading about science, particularly if it's astronomy or the topic you mentioned. It's interesting to note that our species may be the descendants of microscopic life-forms stuck on an asteroid from Mars a billion years ago. I'll definitely read it!

But, yeah. I never had a problem with the carbon-freezing idea. I can buy Han, Darsha Assant, Ahsoka, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Rex, etc. surviving it in different stories. It's science-fantasy. Go figure. I can buy Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc. Np. All of that is part of the beauty of the Star Wars universe.

It's interesting how, in many versus series, humans typically are not as strong constitutionally or physically as most alien species. I think that may be a reflection of what you said about how the human body cannot survive freezing as those real-life species. Humans evolved from ancient mammals with specific advantages, but we haven't evolved in the ways that other species have.

Don't ya just love how fictional genetics and evolution reflects the complexity of our real-world diversity on Earth?

16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Actually, the principle was set up, albeit in a different way, back in 1978 (or '79). In Brian Daley's Han Solo at Stars' End, Viceprex Hirken keeps his prisoners in stasis booths, which generate a field that, in effect, basically stops someone in time. Beyond a mention of a "low entropy field", there's no details on exactly how it works, beyond that when the power shuts off, the subject revives immediately without any ill effects, beyond some confusion over how long they've been out.

Given the recent continuity shake-up, I have no idea if this is currently considered canon.

17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Very interesting, Mr. Morgan.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.