main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Survivor's Quest question

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RedRiverOutlaw, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRiverOutlaw

RedRiverOutlaw Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2002
    I just finished reading Survivor's Quest and while I really enjoyed it (it's the fist SW book since the end of the NJO that I have really gotten into) there were a couple of things that confused me a bit.

First -- The Empire of the Hand. What is this? From the Hand of Thrawn duology and the NJO I got the impression that the Fel's and their clawcraft flying Chiss brethren were part of the general Chiss government. Was I wrong? This book made it seem that there were two seperate governments.

Second -- What happened to the two people who were exiled into D-3? If the colony was forced to move out, then those two people would also have to be moved...right?

Overall though I really liked the book and I think it makes a good lead in to the NJO.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The Empire of the Hand is a giant mess. I read SQ before the NJO, so I never had an idea that Thrawn's people had joined the Chiss government (since IIRC they mention that Stent and the like were exiles in HoT). However with the vastly different governmental structures mentioned and the complete lack of EotH mentions in NJO, Sue Rostoni said she though it'd been wiped out IIRC. Disappointing for me.

As for the exiles, who knows? There's nothing besides SQ. Perhaps they'll be mentioned in Dark Nest.

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    First -- The Empire of the Hand. What is this? From the Hand of Thrawn duology and the NJO I got the impression that the Fel's and their clawcraft flying Chiss brethren were part of the general Chiss government. Was I wrong?This book made it seem that there were two seperate governments.

Considering Zahn wrote both VOTF and SQ I think his intention was to have the Chiss seperate all along. The giant cock-up with Chiss continuity was partly Zahn's fault for keeping them so mysterious. VOTF does imply Thrawn was seperate from the Chiss Ascendancy.

Second -- What happened to the two people who were exiled into D-3? If the colony was forced to move out, then those two people would also have to be moved...right?

All of them were moved. The Chiss wouldn't let anyone stay in their territory. Especially a tactically important location like the Redoubt.

However with the vastly different governmental structures mentioned and the complete lack of EotH mentions in NJO, Sue Rostoni said she though it'd been wiped out IIRC.

Pretty stupid idea. The EOTH should really be a lot stronger than the Chiss Ascendancy given that Thrawn struck up alliances with plenty of natives across 250 sectors. Again, I blame Zahn for being too vague with the Chiss, but I'd listen more to his take on the EOTH and the Chiss rather than Dix and Williams'.

4. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Why Rostoni couldn't have asked Zahn what he was doing with them in SQ while FH was being written is beyond me. Instead they had 2 very different stories being written at the same time.

The end result. The EotH and Chiss both got ****ed over.

5. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Personally, I think the EotH ate up the Chiss Ascendancy, not the other way around.

I must admit it's beginning to seem like Star Trek continuity is better kept than that of Star Wars continuity.

6. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Why Rostoni couldn't have asked Zahn what he was doing with them in SQ while FH was being written is beyond me. Instead they had 2 very different stories being written at the same time.

The end result. The EotH and Chiss both got ****ed over.

I already told you, RW, she was skiing int he Alps. Too busy to notice little things like Empires dissapeearing.

And Zahn really really REALLY needs to let go of Thrawn. It's getting embarrassing already.

I read over SOTP today, and it has so many drylys, points, and grimaces, growls, and feral half smiles, it's distracting. Zahn is too repetitve. Karrde must sound like Joe Cocker with how he says everything so dryly all the damn time. It was funny after a while.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm about to read it now. I understand why they call it a mass market paperback now.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    It's a mess. See this thread...

I don't know whether what went wrong in DJ was an accident, or a deliberate retconn which they hoped no-one would notice... :p [face_frustrated]

That said, while Jag's POV in FH3 is consistent with DJ, there's really nothing in that novel's Unknown Regions sections that explicitly says this is Jag's adopted homeworld - potentially, all the Chiss we see on "Csilla" could come from the crew of Frasta's corvette, except Ganet's group, who're there to kill Fel...

- The Imperial Ewok

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Talon Karrde as played by Joe Cocker. Thank you, sir, for making one of the most profoundly humorous and apt comments on the EU I've read in the past few months.

At what point and in which novel do you think Karrde would break into "Many Rivers to Cross?"

10. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I bet he sang "You Are so Beautiful" at Luke and Mara's overhyped wedding.

At the cresendo, The "you're everything I hoped, everything I nee-ee-eed".......
    Jaina said in alarm, "Mama, what's the matter with Mr. Karrde?"

"Your dad and him had one too many Corellian Whiskeys at toast time."

11. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Makes one wonder what happened to all the glimmerstim?

Or all this mess is a ploy by Del Rey and LFL to get curious fans to buy any future SW books that would deal with the UR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.