main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Susan G Komen RACE FOR THE CURE

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Jan 20, 2007.

1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    We can use this thread for anything relating to Susan G Komen Race for the Cure. The race will take place on April 15th. I will let you know other information as soon as I get it, such as time to be there, in costume, where to park, which tent/table to go to, ect.

for now we can use this thread to plan the games for the event. So if you have any ideas.. here is where to post the thoughts.. three games should suffice I believe.

the day we set to work on games is sunday feb 11th at 2:00 pm at my house.

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    fishing game for small prizes - just need poles, strings and clothes pins. We'll have to have age-specific prizes. Under 3s need bigger safer prizes.

bean bag toss - either for a bucket or one of those tic tac toe games.

bowling - use a ball to knock down pins (2 litre bottles or gallon milk jugs)

I'll wear my pink Jedi tunic for the event.

do we know how long we'll be staffing the kids area? Is it just for the actual race or is it longer? I want to be able to purchase a memory flower for Mom.

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    you will be able to come and go for race events if you want to participate in the events. Not sure of the exact timeline at this point, as soon as I know I will post it though.

4. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    So, basicly, we are after simple kiddie games that we can attach a STAR WARS theme to.

Smash the Wookiee with a Moon! (Sort of like the old skittleball game.)
    Bowling, with stormtroopers as the pins.

5. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Just a quick note: The MS Walk in Phoenix, hosted by the DSG, is on April 14. This event is on April 15.

In case anybody was planning on making this a long STAR WARS weekend, this would be the weekend to do it.

6. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    The MS walk is alot of work but (as far as I know) none of us showed for the PF Chang's gig so as of now count me in.

I know this is also the day for the "march of dimes" in Tucson, but like last year (it was on Earth day) it's just bad timing on MoD's part. Unless anyone wants to to the march of dimes in liu of the Phoenix gig?

I think I've confused myself. 8-}

7. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    lets do all 3 an see how smelly we can get our suits!

8. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    *makes note to stand up-wind of the guys*

I'm just doing the one. I'm looking forward to it.

Cat, don't forget to remind me when the next meeting is.

9. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, so there are going to be volunteers to help run the games but are you getting any funding to make them?

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I am in the process of mailing out fundraising letters now. There will be funds for games. I may have to have myself reimbursed if the money doesn't come in before we make the games.

11. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, because NO MONEY can come from me, just time.

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    The Susan G. Komen foundation is the fundraiser, all funds come in and funnel through Susan G Komen, on average the Kids for the Cure section raises about $4000.00 each year through area businesses, which is then used to fund the Kids for the Cure area of the Race. This year we got off to a late start because they did not get the folder for fundraising until January, normally the fundraising is started in September through the Junior Aux. Therefore it has been slow getting started but I was assured that some companies pledged to stay in as sponsors even though we have yet to get their letters out.. Just through the Tucson race alone Safeway has already raised $100,000 for 2007. There will be a major sponsor of the kids area, I don't know at this time who that is, but I was assured by the President of the Komen Foundation that there would be, so I am trusting them that there will be.

Anyways.. that was more info that you asked me.. but I just wanted to assure you and anyone else that no one is or will be expected to give any money for this event, unless it goes towards their own costumes and provisions of course.

13. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    How or when would we actually register for the race?

14. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    If I understand Cat we going to provide entertainment for the younglings..... nobody said anything about running... but why not?

15. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    I believe there is a short walk for kids? Y/N?

16. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    If so are we all in aggrement we will walk with the kids?

17. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    If I can get my boots modified so they actually fit me I will do the whole thing but prob minus the jetpack

18. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    If the same as previous years, it would be a mile long run/walk.

19. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    I'd like to do the 3 mile (sans Jedi boots this year), but that's just me [face_whistling]

20. FORCEinept

FORCEinept Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2006
    Count me in... I'll be home at the end of february!

21. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    It'll B good 2 have U back

22. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005

They have a three mile competative race, and a three mile fun run/walk.

23. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    fun run, definitely...I'm not in the running in running competitively...per se...in the least

24. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    We can't wait to have you back among us!! Glad your doing well!!

I will post the online registration on Monday.. I just don't remember it off the top of my head, but I will be at the office on Monday and I will get the addy then and post it that evening. It is a personal thing if you want to walk the event in addition to entertaining.. it is not a requirement at all. Yes, there is a one mile walk in addition to the three mile one.

25. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    We are still meeting to work on games for SGK on Sunday, Feb. 11, at 2:00 PM at Cat's house, are we not?

It would appear that we are more likely to be brainstorming game ideas(pros and cons) than any actual labor in constructing games.