main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Susan G Komen RACE FOR THE CURE

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Jan 20, 2007.

1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I'll be there.

Cathie - did I miss the Monday night meeting? Or is it the 12th?

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    meeting is the 12th Cheryl, you did not miss it. :)

and in regards to the race entry form...I did not get the hrl for the race yet, hopefully I go to the office friday morning.. actually in regards to this if anyone is in the area(Broadway and Alvernon) and would be able to pick me up from the Komen office around 5pm friday preferably and give me a ride home that would be a great help... I am spending the day there doing work friday and wanted to go in early morning but I don't have a way to get home at the end of the day.

plan for our Kids for the Cure game making day on sunday.. 2pm

this is the day we scheduled at the meeting.. I have material at home and I was thinking we could work on cutting squares of material for sewing bean bags for the bean bag toss game.. and then a thought process for the other games as we got off the thought process for the ideas of what games and how to make them.. also was hoping we could work on making popsicle frames for the crafts projects and then also if you folks were so willing help me look up addresses in current phone books if a few of us could provide current phone books.. I have two myself.. this is for looking up potentional business sponsors I can then contact by mail.. I will do all the contacting.. I am not asking anyone to actually go out and meet and greet, or even write letters.. but just would help if I had folks to write down business names and addresses and phone numbers.. so this is what I have for the agenda on sunday.. if you can make it let me know.. I can provide us with some snacks if I know how many of us to expect.

3. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I work on Broadway and will be driving down Alvernon on Friday to pick up my sewing machine. I have to pick it up before 5. Since I get off at 430, I will have to get the machine first, then I can come back up and get you without a problem. Which corner is it on?

4. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Sorry guys I cant make the brainstorming session, the DSG meeting in PHX was JUST ANNOUNced yesterday for sunday! Nothing like last minute. I feel like I need to go represent since we hanvt gone to any of their events for awhile.

5. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    You're ditching us for them? :_|

Maybe I'll tag along if U dont mind?

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    online entry at www.KomenSAZ.org

7. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Did you start a team? Is this just for the run? Do you want us to sign up?

8. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    sorry I couldnt make it Cat but Ive got some ideas I want to throw at you later

9. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    A little useless trivia for the day...

...when making "bean" bags, lentils work better than beans or peas. Lentils have a much better feel to the thrower.

10. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I was wondering about a team as well. that's why I haven't registered yet.

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    no, no one has to register and I am not personally asking anyone in the fan force to register, It is not free to register for this particular race, I posted it solely because a few members asked for the link and do plan on registering, so for those folks the link is there to use.

for those of you that plan on registering do you already have a team picked out that you want to join or did you want to start a fan force team?

12. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    It is not free to register for this particular race:confused:

Personally I can't run in whatever I have, as most of us can't. Are we the "home base" entertainment?

13. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Nobody has to run or walk UNLESS they choose to. We can be as "stationary" as we wish. We are there PRIMARILY to entertain. Any walking/running is up to the individual.

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Home Base entertainment sounds quite amusing. I quite liked that!

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Times are getting a bit more stringent in the charity arena.. I got this in my email today.. letting me know that any entertainment or volunteers recruited must comply with these requests.. they are simple requests and I hope no one has a problem with them.. I do know that Mike.. you will have to have your mom sign your liability waiver for you as you are under 18, and Steve will have to sign for his kids as well. This is a new thing that Komen has started this year. Actually it is rather prudent of them and I hope it offends none of you. The information is only being given to the Komen Foundation. e mail is to reach you to let you know of anything important that is coming up that you might need to know about that I fail to tell you and cell phone is so that if there is an emergency on race day they can contact you and let you know.

I need to get all the names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses and cell phones for any one that is going to be at the race in a volunteer or entertainment capacity. This information is required for all volunteers/entertainment as well as signing the new liability waiver. If the Komen foundation does not have this information and the waiver signed we will not be able to participate. So please make sure to get everything to my PM box as soon as you can if you plan on being at the Race for the Cure to Volunteer or Entertain.

I know at the moment the thing most of you want to know is what time to be there.. and that time is still at least 6:30 in the morning as the roads close right after that and you won't be able to get in. We will be having a few park meetings in the coming weeks and I will then let you know specifically what area of the park our canopy/tent will be set up in.

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    There is so much going on right now with the Race for the Cure.. I wanted to remind everyone I still need your personal info that I have in the above post to be PM'd to me asap so I can get it turned it to the Komen office. To those of you that have already done this.. thank you as well :)

Also, on the morning of March 31st (not sure of exact time yet) we will have a set up and training day at Reid Park for the Race. This will be a good day to find out about parking/ where to set up, change clothes and any other pertinent needed info.. so please if you can plan to be there. It won't take too long.. I would imagine about one hour.. to ninety minutes at the very most.. I will let you know as soon as I know the times.. actually if you get your info in to me.. then the Komen Foundation will email you info as well. :)

Now on to the FUN news!!! I got this email yesterday...

Diane Tucker, Mrs. America, was nominated as our Honorary Chair of our 2007 Komen Southern Arizona Race for the Cure and had accepted back in September. Diane is originally from Sierra Vista, and moved to Tucson. She has been an amazing volunteer and activist with our local Komen Southern Arizona for the past 3 years, helping out with registration at the mall and on Race day during Race for the Cure.

Last year Diane begun her reign as Mrs. Tucson, then went on to win Mrs. Arizona, and this past fall, won the Mrs. America pageant which was hosted here in Tucson. She left for Russia two weeks ago to compete for the crown of Mrs. World.

So the big news is? Diane is now the reigning Mrs. World, and it couldn?t have happened to a more deserving person. Diane is a wonderful ambassador for Komen, breast health and self advocacy, and her outreach has helped us get our message out to organizations in Tucson and in Sierra Vista and other parts of Southern Arizona.

We do plan on letting the media know about this. Just wanted you all to be the first to hear it from us.

What an exciting Race season! Visit here to see Diane being crowned as the reigning Mrs. World.

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    ****REMINDER****

March 31st is a training day for the Race Day Volunteers and Charity Personnel for the race. Even if you don't need volunteer training if you show up and fill out your paper work at the park you will receive a Race for the Cure Volunteer T-Shirt for your time. We are meeting at 11am that morning at pavilion 18 .. if the pavilion # changes I will post it here on this thread. It hopefully will not change though. If you do not fill out paperwork at this training session or at the TFF March 31st 2:30pm meeting later this day at the library then you will NOT be allowed to be a part of this event. Except as a Race for the Cure Paying Race Participant, not as part of the Kids area Entertainment. Please do your best to be there and get your paperwork filled out, and if you can't be there then please see me about filling out your paperwork at the TFF meeting at the Library that day. I can only get a T-Shirt for anyone that does come to Reid Park that morning though.

18. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I've got 31 picture frames done so far. They go quickly once you get started. I'd have more if I hadn't accidentally touched the hot glue. [face_blush]

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    ***Today is Volunteer Training Day at Reid Park. 11AM!! Kids area is by the playground closest to the Rose Garden.***

20. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    66 frames

21. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Total of 97 frames before I ran out of glue sticks and I've only got a few popsicle sticks left as well. I hope someone else is making these as well.

22. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Im sorry i missed the meeting, and I admit I have not been payng alot of attentiont ot he boards to notice Cats post about the deadline, does this mean I am not going to be able to participate inthis event?

Also, what times are we needed at the park, what time does it actually start/do we need to be in costume, and what time does it officially end?

23. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    6AM - 10:30/11AM you need to be in costume by 7AM.. but if you arrive after 6AM you can't get in Reid Park unless you take a shuttle from El Con, but then you would not get in the park in time to get into costume by 7AM I would imagine.

Parking is in the lot on 22nd street only.. if I am wrong.. Jack please correct me.. and Jack, Damian, and Steve know where the changing rooms are and all other pertinent race day info. Plus I have to get anyone that turns in their waivers their parking passes in addition to their T-shirts once they are cleared.

24. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Change in the "tallent" dressing rooms at the park's bandshell. We R 2 stand between 2 trees (in other words in the shade) just south of where we change, not a far walk at all.

25. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, Im going to need to bail right when it ends for my sons birthday party.