main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Sushi?

Discussion in 'Community' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 18, 2016.

1. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Sushi is amazing, I can eat it several times a week. Out of my entire life, I've only met one person who doesn't like sushi.

With that said, here are some pictures from my most recent sushi trip a week ago!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    hate to break it to you but that picture on the left might be nigri sushi but on the right? Sashimi.

3. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Indeed, Sashimi is on the right. On the left, the left most one is a Rainbow Roll. I forgot what the name of the one on the right is, there are too many different rolls lol.

Nigiri Sushi has a piece of fish on top of rice, like this:

[​IMG]

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I had to look up "rainbow roll". Turns out it's not so much authentic sushi as an American concept. A variation on the California roll.

Why do you people do this? Authentic sushi is fine. I'm reading the list of ways in which states have desecrated the concept. Putting nori on the inside rather than as a wrap. Why is this a thing.

So confused and angry.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Go and see Mrs. Fitzgerald for a good pegging. All will be well, Andy Pandy.

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So my wife and I get sushi every Thursday and they typically only give us one set of chopsticks so I was thinking of investing in a pair? Any recommendations on brand?

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Unless you’re concerned about looks, IMO just buy a pack of basic bamboo chopsticks that you can wash and reuse. I use these and they work great for eating and the odd bit of emergency whisk replacement.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Been thinking about getting some myself, if anything cuz I'm tired of them not putting in the cheap bamboo ones in my take out bag.

Also: Favorite Sushi is probably Spicy Yellowtail Maki. Shrimp Tempura maki. Tuna sushi. There's also a place near me that does sweat potato roll w/ a lettuce wrap instead of rice and it's amazing.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I can put away some oshinko.
    And now I want to put away some oshinko.

Ramza and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

12. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I have my sticks in one of the kitchen drawers, yes sir!

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That ****ing shadow being so wrong has me wishing death upon you, P.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    IKEA, of all places, have great chopsticks. They're the only ones I use these days, and I use chopsticks several days a week.

DarthIshtar and TiniTinyTony like this.
  15. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    As for sushi, just two words: LOVE IT. Always have. Unfortunately I am at the moment spending several months where pretty much anything Asian is pretty hard to find, let alone authentic stuff.
    I haven't read every single post in this thread, so sorry if it has been mentioned already. But it seems there is a general misconception about sushi and sashimi. Sushi does not necessarily have to involve fish. It is basically rice rolled into nori and can have different ingredients, like pickled Japanese radish (daikon), cucumber or omelette. It CAN contain fish but doesn't have to. Sashimi is typically (mostly) uncooked fish and doesn't have to include rice or nori. But in my experience sashimi is typically eaten accompanied with rice, tofu, natto or miso soup.
    Oh, for those who love sushi, like me, is anyone else also a fan of Korean kimbap? It's very similar to sushi, but sometimes uses different ingredients.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I was watching some videos on sushi etiquette, and it's actually considered more proper to just use your fingers instead of chopsticks.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Had some sushi for breakfast.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  18. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Real sushi or the cheap fake sushi from Trader Joe's?

19. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I will make a confession here: I've actually had gas station sushi. It was......well, its something I promise to never ever to do again, lets just leave it at that.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sushi etiquette is kind of like wok hei or proper liquor glasses in that the internet is prone to getting way up its ass about it but I don’t think anyone actually cares.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm very weary of supermarket sushi. It usually tastes a bit stale. Or like it was made 5 hours ago. Which is what it is for the most part.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Nah the fake **** I bought at the grocery store when I went shopping at 8 to buy beef for tacos tonight

Alpha-Red likes this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    But I mean, they always give you that little bit of wasabi and ginger, so I thought I should figure out what exactly I'm supposed to do with it.

Also, since using your fingers is actually easier, it's probably good to know it's also the correct way.

24. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    The only rule I follow is don't put the wasabi in the soy sauce. Ever. Place that stuff directly on the sushi for ultimate heat.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, like, case in point here, that isn't real wasabi anyway (even in Japan it's almost never real). Hence my comparison to wok hei or liquor glasses - yes, it's a thing that can have an impact, but there are so many other more important variables impacting your experience first and more dramatically that it's kind of pointless to chase. If it's easier to use your hands or you prefer them - fine. If it's easier to use chopsticks (say because you don't like handling the food) or you prefer them - fine.

Alpha-Red likes this.