main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suzi's Holiday Special

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by suzijedi, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suzijedi

suzijedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2006
    A long time ago: -8 hours GMT
    In a Galaxy far, far away: well, 6983 miles to be precise

Well, tomorrow I'll be heading off to sunny LA, so I just thought I?d say au revoir!

I?ll also use this thread to try and update you all with what?s been going on while I?m there and to let you know I?m still alive! I?ll upload my pics when I get back.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

[image=http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/suzijedi/e-card_amidala_f.jpg]

2. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    have a great time suzi [face_peace]

3. nlindenj

nlindenj Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2006
    see you suzi, don't talk to any strange americans-what am i saying it'll be full of strange americans, see if you can get any inside info about CE, don't forget you can only bring £145 worth of stuff into the country without paying duty and taxes

4. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Thanks you two!

Nige- thanks for the tips....if anyone has any holiday/long-haul/travelling hints or tips or 'have you remembered to pack <whatever>' questions, please feel free to post here!!

5. nlindenj

nlindenj Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2006
    best one is don't forget your rechargers (phone, ipod etc) and take lots of spare batteries don't wanna be forking out and looking for them also if you are taking shower gel and such decant them into small pots then on the way home chuck em makes your case lighter and more room for goodies, take advantage of the airlines baggage allowances if you can take 2 suitcases pack one in another for the return trip i know this seems obvious but carry your pass port and tickets on you not in your carry on (in case that goes missing you will have your tickets and passport)

6. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    [:D]
    Wish I was coming with you, maybe next time I'll be in a position to book time off from work.

Some tips (and Nige has some good ones :cool: ).

Immigration stuff - you'll (I am not 100% sure with LA, my experience is from NYC) have to fill in a small immigration form (there may be two different ones) about your stay, so make sure you have details of where you are staying etc with you when you are sat on the plane. They usually hand that out near the end of the journey. Just be patient going through customs, sometimes it can seem like it takes ages.

Electronics - I always took several converter plugs with me, because obviously they have different sockets to us. I'd also recommend checking for a local "Radio Shack" (website) to you, just in case your mobile phone charger (if you are taking one) doesn't still work with a plug adaptor - mine didn't when I went to NYC, so I got an adaptor from Radio Shack (which, kicking myself, I should have given to you last time I saw you, especially since our phones use the same adaptor damn! :( ). They were very knowledgeable in the one I went to in NYC, and were right on the money with the adaptor I needed, wasn't expensive if I remember correctly.

Here you go, LA based Radio Shacks --> clicky linky

Trying to think of other stuff. Hmmm, just be careful about times walking round if you are on your own, just usual stuff you'd do here tbh. Just take care of yourself, have a load of fun, and come back safe missus [:D]
    If you need 'owt, let me know by whatever method ok?

7. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    1) Take a disposable camera with you just incase something happens with your digital

2) Energy/granola bars are handy to keep your energy up during the days (and im guessing its gonna be pretty hectic lol) and bringing a bottle of water is handy too

3) Be prepared to be asked if you're scotish lol (what? it happened to me :p)

4) Keep safe and HAVE FUN! *Is jealous* :p

8. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Thanks for the tips, guys! [:D]

See you sooooooooon!! [face_cowboy]

9. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Have fun Suzi [:D]

10. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    We wanna see lots of photos [:D]

11. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    I'm here!! 8-}

16 hour journey and it's now 10.00pm (I think!)

Flights fine- great journey- flew over UK, up west coast of Scotland, over east coast of Iceland, south Greenland and through Canada- amazing scenery!!

Tomorrow will be spent at the convention centre queuing for my passes etc

More soon.........time for bed

12. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    good to hear you got there ok :)

and like other spike said - loads of photo's please :D

13. Ranouch_Heath

Ranouch_Heath Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2006
    Ive been off-line for 2 days PC problems It looks like Im missing all the fun !

Dont drink the water !

Bring the sun back with you ?

Also Have fun and enjoy ya-self out there in the outter rimm

14. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Yay :D
    Hoping your day has gone well.

15. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Episode 1: The Phantom Queues

Well, after arriving at the LA Convention Centre at 9am, I was amazed to find absolutley no queues at all, so I collected my lanyard/passes from a very helpful Imperial Officer and with a tingle of excitment, headed into Downtown (or DoonToon) LA earlier than expected for a wander around.

After some random wandering, I made my way up to the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) which was shut! No matter, for across the road was a certain little droid disguised as a mail box (the only one left in DoonToon apparently) so a photo was duly taken. Various places visited included Pershing Square, Grand Central Market and the Jewelry District (chav heaven). After some feeding and watering (which included a bar of 'Dagoba' choc :D ), I headed to the Museum of Neon Art...which I couldn't find- it could've been my map reading skills, but I swear I was in the right place....ho-hum.

Headed back to Hollywood and had a bit of a wander- went to Grauman's Chinese Theatre and found the footprints of R2, 3-PO, Darth V, Harrison Ford and SL Jackson (again- pics taken) and soon I'll be heading off for a 2-3 hour trek around Runyan Canyon and the Hollywood Hills.

Tomorrow I move to a hotel DoonToon and spend my first day of SW fandom at the Convention Centre :-B

Oh and Leigh- so far I've been asked if I'm Australian and German....must be the Geordie accent!

Speak soon! :cool:

16. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    sounds great fun, girl! :D

17. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Hey Suzi-Uzi!

Glad to hear you're safe....enjoy yourself and watch out for those stormtroopers who pinch yer bum when you're not looking [face_blush]

Say Hi to George for me!!!

[:D] Hugs across the sea! [:D]

18. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Hehe! Told you! :p 8-}

19. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Episode 2: Attack of the Queues

Arrived at the Centre 11am and stood for an hour in the searing heat until the doors opened at 12pm, then we were straight inside. Saw some unusual sights whilst waiting in the queue- lots of Jedi Knights and even a lady in a fetching suit made from the 1980's SW bedding...nice.

Visited the Lucasfilm Archives, which had a few of the costumes/props incl Anakin's burnt head, Luke's head in Darth Vaders helmet (from the Cave) and Leias slave costume. Next, onto the R2 Builders Room with an array of droids (mainly various incarnations of R2's) and the odd 3PO and Gonk Droid too. Next the DV Helmet Exhibition, which was impressive...most impressive, with all sorts of custom designs and modifications to the famous bonce (got plenty of pics of that).

Dropped by the FF table and will help out for an hour on Monday...it wasn't exactly like I stood there chatting with them, tbh, but then again, I'm not the most sociable of people. The RL table has a loop with various pics from events and it was good to see Jase, Leigh, Spike_T and others included in that :) Passed by the SW Tattoo table too, so I may pick up a t-shirt form there.

The Exhibition Hall has a huge amount of stalls with almost anything you can think of to do with SW and there are various spaces for people such as DH Comics and Gentle Giant to show off their products. Bought a print from the Art Gallery section too, so that'll fill a space on one of my walls at home :)

Tbh, I don't know if it's the fact that it was just a fan-only day and there were no actual 'events' going on, but it felt a bit empty...I dunno if I described that right. Things should start picking up tomorrow, so hopefully will have more to report!

20. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Sounds like you're having a great time, Suzi. Make sure you have fun and be safe, ok???

[:D]

21. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Suzi, do you know if the SW Tattoo table will be coming to CE? I'd love to get a T-shirt off them. [face_praying]

22. Ranouch_Heath

Ranouch_Heath Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2006
    Sounds like your having great fun out there suez

23. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    I'll ask them today....the t-shirt is $40...if they're not coming to CE, shall I get you one? It's long-sleeve with black arms, white body and a old style tattoo design on the front (SW related) with wording on...looks nice....If you want one, let me know what size (PM me).

24. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    is it a shirt of tattoos? or a shirt with pics of tattoos? or something entirely else?

25. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    It's a shirt specifically designed for SW tattoos with one illustration on the front- very nice.

Coz- They will be at CE, but he's not bringing the shirts- u still want one?

The guy said I should enter the tatt contest on Sunday...hmmmmmmm [face_thinking]

I'll do a 'proper' post tomorrow....it's been a long day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.