main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA SW and people who just don't get it

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Chris-Stacina_Rajinn, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Chris-Stacina_Rajinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I've just been watching ESB with my dad, and I don't think I've ever been happier to see a SW movie end! He was the one who wanted to watch it, cause he didn't really remember it that well or something, and all he did the whole time was complain and ask me questions. Questions, that when answered, he still didn't understand. I know that the movies can be a bit complicated, but seriously, if you just pay attention! Some people just don't get it. I dunno, I've never had much trouble understanding it, but I guess some people really have to be observant and patient if they want to know what's going on. Sorry if this is kinda irrelevant, I'm just frustrated.

2. silverca03

silverca03 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    I know exactly what you mean. My best friend has never seen any. So I made her watch TPM then took her to the midnight showing of AOTC when it came out. I've spent so much time explaining to her but she only watches for Hayden I think

3. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Apr 15, 2002
    yeah, I have a friend who watches it for jar jar and chewbacca, lol, and she complains about the rest of it. Of course there are worse things, like the people who have never seen it but say that they don't like it, that doesn't even make sense.

4. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    How about those that confuse Star Wars and Star Trek?? My parents have always been very indulgent of my 'hobby' but if I had a dollar for everytime they confused the two, I wouldn't have to work for a living.

5. silverca03

silverca03 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    oh i hate that too everyone's like don't you do all that star trek stuff...NO!

6. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    What I hate is when people will get really stupid things confused.
    I once had this dude ask me this:
    What color is Kirk Skywalker's lightsaber? Didn't he kill that Vader dude?
    I rest my case. Some people just don't understand.

7. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Apr 15, 2002
    lol, kirk? That's terrible! I hate when people confuse SW and ST, just yesterday I was at my grandfather's and they saw my SW hat and asked if I was a trekie. I was like, huh?

8. karateyoda17

karateyoda17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    My mom, before she went literally insane, actually asked me what a battle droid was and she saw TPM like 3 times. Thats bad...

9. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Apr 15, 2002
    When I was getting Kenny Baker's autograph at Comicon he asked me what my pitdroid watch was supposed to be. But then again, everyone asks me what my pitdroid watch is supposed to be...they all think it's a turtle [face_plain]

10. karateyoda17

karateyoda17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    LOL, thats pretty funny. A turtle, I just had a dream about turtles. My dad still does not get why I love Boba Fett. e understands why I love Jango, because he likes um too and Jango was a major player in EP2, but Boba in the OT and EP2 were really background characters. I just love um because hes cool lookin and can kick some a**. Plus the EU on Boba I love, and I look like lil boba acourding to everyone from the board (dont ask me :) )

11. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Boy do I know what yunz mean!I work with 2 or 300 people all of whom don't get why Anakin is on my left shoulder and Darth Vader is on my right.And the confusing Trek with SW,get alot of that,too.All of this is why I'll continually relate to the membership what this group and being a member of this group means to me.

12. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Ditto, Tony.

For 20+ years I have been a loner in my obsession. Only in the last 4-5 years have I found people like you good folks here to share my fanaticism with.

It's feels great to belong to this group knowing that we all are basically like-minded.

SW means soooo much to me on many levels of my life and I appreciate that others can share in this with me. (wish my fiancee would more but maybe you all can help with that at the picnic)
    She is good for SW trivia though. Guess that comes from livin' wth me. OH VELL.

13. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    I also appreciate that there are others like me. Being the only SW appreciative in my household gets kind of lonely- especially when even your parents think your appreciation is a little wierd.

Plus, I'm very happy to learn that SW is not a completely male-dominated passion. You have no idea how much it means to me to find other females in a SW-loving group. I thought I was alone.. I was petrified.. ^_^

14. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I was also thrilled when I found a bunch of other people who shared my obsession. As I've said, my parents have always been supportive of it, but were never all that excited about it themselves. My friends like the films, but no more than any other good movies.

As for people thinking I was weird . . . well I accepted long ago I am weird (not just because of the SW thing) but then why be normal? I have no desire to be a 'sheep' going along with what everyone else is doing just becasue that is 'normal'. Cats do as they please! :)

15. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I so tatally agree! Most of my coworkers laughed when I requested the day off for TPM. They shake their heads and wonder about my obsession. Thankfully I have 2 people well strike that 3 people, now that Dan is there, that like it My manager has a collection to rival mine! My on coworker is a big fan but not a fanatic.

16. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Apr 15, 2002
    My boss has loved SW since she was a kid, and so does her brother (who is also kinda my boss) so I'm kinda lucky there. The weird thing about that though is that I know more about it then they do. It's kind of annoying cause they're always talking about how they saw it in the theater and how I'm not a fan cause I wasn't born yet. Meanwhile I'm answering questions for them like is Palpatine Sidious. That's messed up!

17. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I agree CSR.

I think that's why even some of the "masters" are reluctant to include trivia in the trials.

Shoot we have (some of us) 25 years of SW life. WE SHOULD KNOW THIS STUFF!

Alright I get down from my soap box.

I just like trivia, sorry if I'm being obsessive about the whole idea.

18. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    I agree. Co-workers just don't have a clue about why you lug SW books around (looks around guiltily) or can draw a lightsaber really, really well. :p

My co-workers, aka the other hosts, put up with it. They've accepted the fact that it's a part of my life that they're never going to be able to sway me from. ^_^

19. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Heard that one saberpilot!Everyone that I work with is used to seeing AotC,D.Vader ball caps,D.Vader & Anikin tattoos,all variety of SW t shirts,not to mention all the stuff on my desk.It's in me and I'm in it.

20. I_have_zam_cards

I_have_zam_cards Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    how bout one of my ex girl friends never seen one star wars. one day we sat down and watched them. worst time i ever seen a SW movie. she didnt get any thing. how can you not under stand it. i mean come on. she would be like who is that whats up with him did his hand really fall down the hole.

21. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Apr 15, 2002
    Yeah, that's like my dad. "Who's that? What's going on? What's he gonna do now, jump?!" It's crazy! He saw the OT before I was born, and he still doesn't know what's going on?!

22. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    What's worse is when people come to the premiere of SW: Ep. II and only come to see Hayden. My friends, of course, came to see SW. But there was one of those 'girl gangs' there as well, only to view anakin in his latest flick.
    Please.
    There's a story involved. Just because Anakin is cute is no reason to ignore that story. ^_^

23. I_have_zam_cards

I_have_zam_cards Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    good thing every one in my family knows what the heck star wars is and stuff or i might just have had to run away.

24. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    Yes. My parents have at least kindness enough to understand at least the main parts of the universe. (sigh)
    At least, the OT. the PT they're pretty.. eh... on.

25. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    My parents have seen the movies like them understand for the most part what is going on. my dad read a few of the
    sw books even.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.