main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA SW: CCG Anyone?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Shewski, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Reid... bummer 'bout Thursday. How's about you, Shewski? You up for anything? I seem to recall you saying you might be getting together with a buddy of yours who's shipping off somewhere. I guess just let me know what happens.

Dislikes cottage cheese,
    Yours Truly

2. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I think I will be free. I am getting together with him tonight, but I might also be doing something with him tomorrow night. I can let you know tomorrow- I'll give you a call when I get back home.

3. rs005i

rs005i Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    i second the anti-cottage cheese sentiments (though im not quite sure where that came from, ben)

i was in a car accident monday so i am presently without transportation. who knows when i will be available again for ccg'ing.

on sunday drew came out to my place and we gamed .. i also taught him epic duels (10 dolla on clearance at kmart here too!), he proceeded to destroy me like 5 times in a row with yoda. i tried palpy, vader, maul, mace windu, and dooku...i think mebbe i just suck at epic duels.

here's a recap of the ccg action:

game 1 my bhbm vs his saber combat/space hybrid?
    some lightsaber combat deck with strike planning and rieekan/lock to get some systems out and try to drain in space.... i put palpy on naboo first turn, followed that up with janus and lord maul and mara jade (with lightsabers courtesy of blaster rack). he put obi-wan down and combatted the emperor once but i drew high enough to stick around, and kept battling him until he ran out of evasion tactics. palpy + force lightning + p-59 is a great combo. i took over the naboo sites and drained for a gazillion with my lightsabers. wahoo! big win

game 2 his hunt down vs my throne room
    i couldnt get any of my force gen stuff going, tho i did get goo nee tay early. he deployed first, lord vader somewhere. i terminated visage twice in a row. i got home one set up at endor and epp quigon down at a non-unique swamp. i drained for free for a couple turns till he was able to mount an offensive, dropping a serious beat squad on qui-gon. luckily i had the houjizz handy and resilienced qui. by that time i had set up all my force gen so i put the wokling out of play to retrieve my houjix, then activated up to it and 3p0'ed it back into my hand for later use. after that the details are fuzzy, i kept throwing epps at him and killing guys but he was draining me and i wasnt always able to keep menace fades in effect. i on the edged a couple times, one time i had forced him to use all the force in his force pile (text on the non-unique swamp is beefy) so he didnt have force to grab my edge with. he had a bunch of guys at my non-bg sites (home one warroom, docking bay, etc), but honor of the jedi shut that down for most of the game as he only occupied 2 bgs. finally he secured 3 bgs (vader's site, a system somewhere, and the swamp) so all those non-bg drains kicked in and finished me off. loss by a little

then we played smash brothers and drew built a new light deck while i ate dinner

game 3 drew's throne room specifically teched for my bhbm
    whatever, this wouldnt be very fun to read since he built a deck specifically to beat mine. he knew from our previous game that i wasnt packing any revolution protection (something i would do, if i were to use the bhbm in a tourney), so he threw some revos in his trm ... combine that with goo nee tay and i couldnt get anyone out. for the first few turns i kept putting guys down at my executor docking bay ... first palpy, then vader (saber with blaster rack), then mara (likewise), then dre and bob, then p-59 .. the plan was to move to a battleground docking bay and pay to drain for 5 or so a turn. what won the game for him was this: he revo'd the ex docking bay and dropped some guys with sticks, swung and hit dre and bob, and used sorry about the mess combo to make them immediately lost. if they had stuck around, the battle would have been a joke, as i had 2 lightsabers and a p-59 (and emperor's lightning making someone defense value - 4). but without them i ended up losing most of the guys at the site, then striking back next turn to clear it out (no use leaving a bunch of guys at my ex dbay when *I* have to pay 7 force to transit away). so he dropped some guys down to some docking bays to drain and pinged me to death. to my credit, i won four battles in the game, stacking a card on insignificant rebellion each time. unfortunately drew had fortified the emperor's throne room with guys so i had no prayer of getting palpy in there with luke and vader to cross him to the dark side. loss by a good amount, to a deck

4. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Reid... Car accident??? Hope you're all right, though I guess you must be if you were able to play CCG with Drew, but still... that sucks, dude.

And Drew built a deck specifically designed to bring yours down...? That's rather dodgy, I must say... (Not that I wouldn't have done the same thing, but still... ;))

Also, you didn't win a single game of Epic Duels??? All I gots to say is "DUDE...!" Of course, who am I to talk? I came in dead last in the Epic Duel tourney I hosted at my place a whiles back. [face_plain]

Shewski... no big thing if you can't meet up tomorrow night. I haven't/won't have time to make any new decks or nothin', though I have been perusing that list you gave me for potential trades for that little stack of Endor stuff I pulled aside.

At any rate, guess I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Able to type legibly with boxing gloves on,
    Yours Truly

5. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    We'll have to get together for an ED game sometime... of course, in a month or so, we will probably have the the next tourney with the group, so maybe you can brush up your skills by then! ;)

I'm going to meet up with my buddy tonight for a game of tennis after work, so I may still be in for a pair of CCG games a bit later tonight. I'll still give you a call when I get in and we can go from there.

I do have two new decks ready to go. I temporarily retired the Dark Musicians "Play That Funky Music, Ak-Rev!" and the Poor Man's TRM decks, since they have done well in all games played with them.

Currently active are RalOps and the Moisture Farmers. Joining them off the bench are an old friend turned bad as well as a deck that will make it hard to do anything, let alone fight back. Tremble in fear, mortal!

6. rs005i

rs005i Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    well, as my post stated, drew came over on sunday, and the accident occurred on monday ... but yes i'm ok .. physically at least. i do have to deal with the mental and emotional anguish of being without transportation for who-knows-how-long, and paying drastically increased insurance premiums ..

shewski, while playing musicians, did you ever notice that Umpass-Stay is pig latin for "Stump-Ass"?

7. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Reid, I must admit that I never noticed that but now I have a new nickname for him! He kinda looks like that, anyways.

Well, Brian and I met up for a quick pair of games to try out new decks.

Game #1
    Brian's TIGIH vs my DS Jawas

A good inagural matchup for the grubby horde. I was able to pull the AC, dump down Jabba, 4LOM w/ gun, and a Jawa there to secure it from the get go. I forgot to pull coward shield, so I got pinged for 1 by Luke. Brian started moving to Tatooine, pulling DBs like no one's business. I foolishly picked the wrong unique Jawa (wittin) to deploy using the AC's GT. Herat is the Uttinni and thus Jawa puller. He's out, I realize I don't have the cards needed to flip, so I draw up some. A little more pain from Brian, but I threw some Jawas away. Bext turn I pulled Boelo, deployed Iasa to T: JP, and Mosep to JP:Low Passages to flip. I consolidated and waited. More draining, blah. I start inflicting pain on the top. I got out a nice Jawa horde at the Jawa Canyon, and get Gailid to the AC, so I will drain from 5 off the top. Uttini gets grabbed, but I did cancel a drain of 3. I finally got some of my BH support cards, but I end up taking 5 drain damage. I drop down Jodo, BFBH, put Ponda's gun on Jodo, stack on the Fish to hit luke, use hidden weapons to capture Chewie and draw 17 attrition on 3 draws (my draws are +2 with Jabba and Bib out) That's basically game.

Game #2
    Brian's IO (V) vs my DBO

He draws out the Def Perim, and then saves some force. I get Swamp, draw Rieekan and McQuarrie, drop Riekkan to swamp, pull a nudj, and then use him to pull Farm. I know I could be in trouble, since Brian has a few probe droids in this deck. He later tells me that he was 1 force short of being able to drop an At AT on Rieekan (I had a barrier, so I may have taken only power difference damage if he tried to get a pilot). He instead puts tempest 1 down and puts Igar on, with At AT cannon at the ice plains. I try to deploy forest, can't find it, but want to keep the pressure on so I Tunnel for it. I get McQ and Tigran to Farm and Forest, flip. I deploy a Y wing squad from hand to Hoth. Brian misses with the TTMG, then drops BF in Slave 1 and battles at hoth. I use Org. Attack. and draw a 1. He draws 0, he loses 1 force from damage. My turn, I pull a squad, Lock, and Coruscant. The Xwing Squad goes to Cor since I miscounted and cant beat down Boba. Brian hits and I lose 9 force. He throws down a Imp star at Hoth and picks on Lock and the Ywing Squad. I draw a 5, he gets a low draw. I lose some battle damage, he throws the ISD. My turn I drain for 4 at Cor, drop down a B Wing Squad and beat the tar out of Boba. I think 16 overflow. Lock had pulled Kessel, and I fly over to there. He drains me, I drain him for 8 and that basically ends it.

Brian, I remembed how that dude used Obi Wan being PooPed to his advantage in TIGIH. He uses Balanced Attack, and then pulls Obi and puts him in harms way. He then loses him, then uses Merc Sunlet V to PooP him, then busts out I can't Belive He's Gone to seriously help TIGIH stack some cards.

8. rs005i

rs005i Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    yeh here's some more fun with swccg card names .. most of these are anagrams:
    brangus glee = snuggle bear
    chall bekan = kallenbach (chuck kallenbach, lead game designer at decipher)
    loci rosen = eric olsen (another decipher guy)
    caldera righim = michael girard (same thing)
    tanus spijek = justin pakes (former rules master for swccg)
    what's gotta be cool for these guys is that swccg cards are actual, lucas-certified pieces of star wars lore. so even though these characters dont exist anywhere outside of the ccg, they are now actual canonized star wars characters, which must make the guys they are named after rather proud.

oh and regarding the tigih deck, youre not supposed to actually deploy obi-wan after pulling him with balanced attack .. you throw him away to a force drain, or visage, or whatever the opponent makes you lose force with. if you deploy him the opponent might find a creative way to keep him alive, which would negate the whole idea. merc sunlet is required starting material, and the ddta shield will get your i cant believe he's gone into hand. another trick i like to put in that deck is this: start strike planning, use it to get rieekan, use rieekan to get ewok catapults out of your deck and put them on endor. then use 3 or 4 copies of the asp droid from special edition and use them to stack the destiny-7 catapults on top of your deck. combine that with the power 5 from i cant believe he's gone, and maybe even more high destiny from the claw fish, and even lowly characters like owen and beru or corran horn can win battles out the wazoo. plus with rieekan on the table you can also use him to get the hoth war room for force gen, and then get lock navander to get endor system for even more (and your opponent doesnt generate force at endor)
    w000000t

9. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I finally, finally, finally got my 2 Player Intro cards back in my grasp, so now I can finally start playing with REAL copies of Walker Garrison, sub in Hoth:Mountains, and have more piloted generic At-Ats at my disposal for my At-At deck. Woo-hoo!

It also gives me my Run, Luke Runs back and those uber-crappy versions of Luke, Chewie, Veers, and Vader that can't deploy if > 3 opponent's unique characters are on table! Awesome! Those guys rule!

At any rate, I've got some time this afternoon, so I may start pulling together a new deck, so when next we meet, maybe I'll have something new to throw at you folks. I already know like 8 cards that are going in it... so WATCH OUT!

Ate meat (BBQ Chicken!!!) for the first time this month last night,
    Yours Truly

10. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Right, I must have missed that point in reading over the TIGIH strat.

New decks, huh? I bet I know what some of those are gonna be after having you ransack me for those trades....

It's time to blow up the DSII!

11. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Well, here's my availability for this week, in case you guys can meet up:

I get off Wednesday at 9pm, which is a little late, but that's the time me and Shewski have met up the past two sessions. I get off Thursday at 6:30, but would once again need to be in a position to be able to catch Survivor at 8pm. I work in the morning on Saturday, so could meet up whenever.

So, that's basically it. If any of those times work, just let me know. Hopefully, I'll have my new deck thrown together, and and have one of my old ones completely refurbished before next we play.

The new deck's looking pretty good. I've almost got the first two turns completely mapped out, and it seems to be pretty darned efficient. However, just as an FYI (and I hope you guys don't have a problem with this), a lot of the cards I need to make this work I don't actually own, so I intend to proxy quite a bit. If the deck works pretty well, I'll then go and fill in the gaps through trading or eBay or something. I hate having to do that, but my collection is far from complete, so I'm stuck with what I gots.

All right, I gotta start getting ready for work. Let me know what works.

Can't believe it's freakin' snowing!!!,
    Yours Truly

12. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I finally managed to finish putting together the initial draft of my new DS deck, and, as Shewski guessed, it's a DS2 deck. In the first two test runs, I've managed to get the DS2 built and operational pretty quickly. (The second trial had it running on Turn 2.)

Although it's pretty efficient, I'm a little concerned about it's actual ability to win. After running through a few trials, it seems to play very similarly to my LS MBO deck, which, frankly, isn't all that superb at winning. But, I won't really know how well it does until I see it in action, which I'm hoping will be sometime this week.

EDIT: Da Eagle just called, and now I have my Wednesday (tomorrow) night totally clear, if that works for any of you folks to meet up.

I reckon just let me know via post, email, or phone if/when you folks can meet up.

My neighbor's screen door keeps banging,
    Yours Truly

13. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

My availability schedule for this week altered enough to warrant a new post.

So, here she is:

Wednesday night --> totally clear (Any takers?)
    Thursday night --> clear, but need to be able to see Survivor @ 8pm
    Saturday night --> made alternate plans, so no longer available

At any rate, I'm looking forward to throwing my new DS2 deck at you guys. If nobody can swing this week, hopefully we can pull something out next week. Just keep me posted.

Off to bed,
    Yours Truly

14. rs005i

rs005i Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    im still, uh, looking for a car :mad:

15. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Tonight might be cool- I need to take care of taxes but then I could give you a call.

16. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I know it's almost a week late, but here's a rundown of the games me and Shewski experienced last Wednesday when we got together for some CCG. (Since it's been a while, I've probably forgotten all kinds of stuff, but I'll try to get in the good bits.)

GAME#1: My Newly-Fashioned DS2 Deck vs. Shewski's Moisture Farming Deck

I get my DS2 rolling pretty fast. Meanwhile, Shewski's dropping all kinds of crazy aliens and stuff on Tatooine, hitting me up for drains of like 3 and 5. I do manage to drop a beat-squad of Crazy Boba and Thrawn to clear out a site, and cause some damage, but the Death Star more or less stalls out in space, leaving me unable to properly fight, drain, or do anything exciting. I lose by quite a bit.

Game#2: My Weirdly-Designed TIGIH Deck vs. Shewski's Dark Jawa Deck

This game is rather lenghthy and bizarre, primarily because we kept forgetting to take Shewski's bonuses against me into account. He drops Ability, Ability, Ability midway through the game, and I seem to recall only remembering to honor it twice. Ooops. Anyway, as a result, the game goes on for a real long time, and becomes something of a squeaker. His Jawas and Co. hold dominion over Tatooine, but whenever I see a relatively weak link, I drop a beat squad, consisting of EPP characters, Qui-Gon, and the like, destiny-adders like Slight Weapons Malfunction, and stuff like Jedi Presence. Whenever possible, I retrieve characters with stuff like Bacta tank, and Draw Their Fire.

HIGHLIGHT: By the end of the game, I have 5 cards stacked on I Can Feel The Conflict. If he had any Imperials (or even Vader) I could have maybe gotten the Instant-Win destiny draw to go through. That'd been cool.

LOWLIGHT: It turns out, like an idiot, I've been misinterpreting the game text on I've Got A Bad Feeling About This for about 8 years now. It's not quite as good as I thought, unfortunately. Not saying it's bad, just not as handy as I'd always believed.

GAME#3: My DS2 vs. Shewski's DBO

Another long, kind of strange game. I get my DS2 groovin, and get some ships out, with the Executor, and some unique interceptors. Shewski plops down the Home One, and there's a pretty vicious space battle. Home One dies. About two turns later, Executor dies from beatdown delivered by some enemy squadrons. Shortly after, the squadrons start draining me away to nothing at varying systems, and I lose once more.

So, there you have it. That's more or less how the evening went, if I recall properly. Time seems to have stolen most of the details from the foggy remnants of my memory.

It actually looks like I may not have any evenings free this week to get together for some gamin'. Oy. Maybe sometime next week...

Saves the thread from dropping off first page,
    Yours Truly

17. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Well, I've been pretty busy this week and my foggy memory doesn't shed any more light on our last games, so good report!

What's the weekend look like for you, Brian?

I'm a big copycat, so I built a TTO deck as well. Mine is different than yours, so we'll have to have a TTO battle! Mine is nice- I've got an average destiny of 3.22 after turn 1, and then once I am built it is 3.54.

18. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski, I saw your new TTO over on GPN, and oddly enough, it looks similar to the original incarnation of my deck (before I got excited by all the SFS stuff and swapped some stuff around), which I was actually going to revert it to once I got some time. Now, if I do that, and post over on GPN, *I'll* be the copycat... Oh, cruel irony! [face_laugh]

At any rate, I'll be looking forward to facing off against yours. Maybe by playing against it, I'll be able to see what I was doing wrong with mine.

Sunday would be the only potential day I'd have to get together, though the new schedule hasn't come out yet, so I don't know what I work yet. I'll let you know tomorrow what works for me.

Hopefully I'll have some time to make some changes to my decks before next we meet.

Oh yeah, and I got another interview on Monday!

w00t w00t,
    Yours Truly

19. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, sports fans.

Unfortunately, I'm working the late shift Sunday, so I'll be nice and exhausted for my interview on Monday morning.

This also prevents me from being able to get together for some CCG action.

Do I hate Giant Eagle?

Oh, yes.

In other news, next Wednesday and Friday nights I have off, so maybe we could get something going on one of those days. That'll give me some time to tinker with my decks, too.

Let me know if either of those days work for you crazy kids.

Till then...

Swamp Thing can beat up your dad,
    Yours Truly

20. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    I shall be out of town for Easter this weekend, but Wednesday may work. I'll keep you posted!

21. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

My Wednesday may have just gotten booked actually, Shewski. I'll keep you posted, though if you have any interest in catching "Lost in La Mancha" that night with me and Brent, you're welcome to join us. It's not a definite thing yet, but it most likely will be. It's at Regency Square @ 8pm.

EDIT: This invite goes out to anyone else who may be interested, too, though I honestly don't know how many other people still keep up with this thread besides Shewski, Reid, and I.

Just let me know what's up, I reckon.

Is about to post some really great news in a new thread,
    Yours Truly

22. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Oh, that crazy Shewski... Once again it would appear that a new pair of decks = new message board icon...

Heh heh heh... I'm lookin' forward to seeing your new decks in action.

In regards to that, here's the list of nights I got open for next week:

Wednesday night and Friday night.

If you want to try to work something out, just let me know. Enjoy your Easter. I know I will. It'll be my first day off in... oh... about 77 days! Woohoo!

Can't think of a good sign-off line,
    Yours Truly

23. rs005i

rs005i Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    "though I honestly don't know how many other people still keep up with this thread besides Shewski, Reid, and I."

and even i havent been around much at all lately. busy with real-life issues i guess (shrug)

hope yinz guys had a happy easter..anybody here goin to pa state championships this weekend? sat the 26th at the pitt comicon, if all goes well ill be there...i found a car for the time being...an old 85 jeep cherokee that i have affectionately named "the heep" ... jeep + heap = heep, get it? yeah its a beater but itll do me for now, i hope. so as long as that thing dont break down on the way in to pitt this weekend ill be in for states. w00t w0000t

24. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Friday night might be coolness. Wed night I am going to see the Buccos down at PNC.

25. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Reid... in regards to your query, I won't be at the tourney on Saturday. I work in the morning, and thus won't be able to attend, which is a shame, because it would have been pretty cool to go. Oh well. I'll get 'em next time.

Shewski... have fun at the ball game! I guess just keep me posted for Friday.

Just generally frustrated with stuff,
    Yours Truly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.