main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA SW: CCG Anyone?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Shewski, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rs005i

rs005i Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    man you better believe im gonna be hittin up the pnc park for some pirate games this year..i cant wait. gotta buy from the scalpers tho to get the best seats. and brian, saturday is definitely call-off material - hell, im a manager at the bk and *I* called off for this saturday. surely the folks at ge (or is it waldens) will understand, maybe you can pick up an extra shift later in the week to make up the hour$?

2. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Yo Brian, are you interested in going to that movie and munchies night? I don't really care what we end up doing Friday night.

3. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Reid... Unfortunately, I can't call off, as I'm desperately in need of the money to help me pay my bills. If I could afford to just blow it off I could, but, sadly I just can't... :( On the plus side, I've recently taken steps to help improve my financial situation. I may be able to start living like a human being once more. Ahhh... blissssssss... I'll keep you folks posted on that...

Shewski... I just now noticed that the Movies/Munchies thing was Friday night. For some reason, I had been under the impression it was Saturday night. But, anyway, I had been planning on going, and would still like to, so I'd be in favor of doing that rather than CCG'ing. It'd be a bit more relaxing, and I think that's what I need right now...

The past six weeks or so have been really rough, and I've been just a barrel of jangled nerves. I tried to not let it affect my mood, but it was inevitable for some of it to leak through.

At any rate... movies and junk food! Sounds like a deal! Want to make that the official Friday plan then?

Jonesin' for Doritos,
    Yours Truly

4. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Sure, do you want to get a game or so in beforehand? Maybe we can meet up at one of our places, play a game or two, and then carpool over to Monroeville together. I'm closer to the big M, so I'll volunteer my humble abode if you're game.

5. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... that sounds like a plan to me. I'll bring my cards to work, so I can just bop right across the street when I'm done at D'Eagle. I get off at 6:15, and unless something bad happens, or you say different, you can expect me very shortly after that.

All righty, I'll plan on doing that then. If something happens to change the plans, just let me know. I even have some time tonight to tweak out my decks a little.

Huzzah!,
    Yours Truly

6. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Will you have eaten?

Just in case I told my dad (he's in town to help with Grandma) to prepare some extra food for you if you want it.

7. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

As promised, here's the run-down of the two games me and Shewski played before we ran over for Movies and Munchies.

--------------------------------------
    GAME #1: My ImpOc(V) vs. His MBO
    This is a pretty good game, actually, and we end up trading off serious epic event damage on back to back turns: I blow up the generators on something like turn 3 dealing 8 damage, and he takes out the Death Star on like his next turn, dealing 14 damage. We then proceed to drain race, me on the ground at Hoth, him in outer space, and his worked just a little bit faster. (It didn't help that I didn't have a way to slow his force retrieval, since I lack some of the more useful defensive shields, but, them's the breaks...) [It also didn't help that I forgot to force drain for a round, and to enforce my direct AT-AT damage from YMSYL, which would have been an extra 9 damage or something wild. I'm really dumb sometimes. 8-} ]

-----------------------------------------
    GAME #2: My Wild Wacky Ewoks vs. His Death Star 2 Decks
    ------------------------------------------
    Much to my surprise, my ewoks gave the Death Star a run for its money. Using TIGIH starts me with some good Endor sites out (plus a really burly Luke and his lightsaber), so I use Strike Planning to pull Madine to pull more ewoks, and I started populating the forest moon with its natural denizens, along with an Ithorian to crank up force drains and Ewok power. Meanwhile, Shewski gets the DS2 active by turn 2, runs for Gall, and starts dishing out some direct damage pain.

This is a fairly short, violent game, if I recall. Naturally, Shewski didn't want my ewoks going nuts on Endor, so he sent down shock troops to keep them under control, but they were mostly unprepared for the power of the 'wok! Just about every battle saw me drawing 2 and/or 3 battle destiny thanks to either Slight Weapons Malfunctions + Ewok Spears, and/or Endor Celebration. The downfall is that my total power in those battles were pretty lame, since I only had like 3 or 4 ewoks at a site with only one light side force slash. *rolls eyes*

HIGH POINT OF GAME: Vader visits the docking bay, kidnaps Luke, starts a battle, gets poked by an Ewok spear, gets forfeited, Luke flees, but is immediately re-captured by a Stormtrooper Garrison, who then proceeds to take 2 damage at the end of each of Shewski's turns. Bwa ha ha ha!

At any rate, it became a force drain/direct damage race, and the DS2 came out ahead against the native ewoks. Highly enjoyable game.

I think that about does it for that pair of games. Also, the only night I have open this week for anything is Wednesday, so if anyone wants to try to get anything going, let me know.

Reid... how'd that tourney go? You kick some major booty? You gotta give us a report whenever you can...

Till then,
    Yours Truly

8. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

This is slightly off-topic, but I felt compelled to comment on the contents of the SW:TCG 2-Player Intro game that I won at the banquet (with my mad l33t w0rd-s33k sk1llz).

Anyway, it's kinda interesting/amusing/different that they seem to prefer you NOT to read the rules before playing the game. They seem to want you to play entirely off of the comprehensive gaming mat that they provide you for the first few times you try the game out. It's also cool that they provide you with positively everything you need to get your game on immediately (even the teeny tiny little 6-sided dice). I thought it was kinda funny that they want you to play with like a 7 card deck for the very first time, rather than the whole thing, too. Decipher suggested doing something similar, too, with their intro sets, if I recall, though with 20 card decks. 7 cards seems awful small for a playable deck, but... you know, whatever works, I s'pose.

It looks like they give you some nice cards in the box, too. Anakin/Dooku foils, and a smattering of other main characters. That's always a good thing.

At any rate, I may have to bust it out at the next "impromptu" session that we have for CCG, just to experience it with my own two hands.

Also, in unrelated news, I managed to find a somewhat less crappy job to replace my two totally crappy jobs, so I should be getting a bit more free time in the future. Zong! I'll be getting, like, days off and stuff. How novel! This'll give me more time to tinker with decks and do other fun stuff I've been meaning to do. Huzzah!

In kind-of-related news, I've started working on a top-secret CCG project, code named: "Top Secret CCG Project." :) I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you.

I think that's all I got. Can't get together over the weekend since I'm going to be spending it getting toasted at one of my college buddies' wedding. Woohoo! PAR-TAY! (Well, maybe could meet up Sunday night if I'm not still hung-over... 8-})

r34gn1ng w0rd s33k ch4mp,
    Yours Truly

9. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Congrats on the new job, Brian! When do you start at the new place?

10. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... I start training for the "New Not Quite As Crappy Job" on the 19th. Frustratingly enough, I'm still waiting for any kind of word on the mythical "Good Interview" that never seems to want to come around, which frustrates me to no end.

Blarg, blarg, and double blarg I say, fellows!

Anyway, at least things will be improving for me a little bit. No more 7 day work weeks! That's something.

Can't believe Rob just backstabbed Christy,
    Yours Truly

11. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Hey Brian,

How was the wedding? What does your week look like? When do you get to say take this job and shove it to GE and the bookstore?

12. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... Wedding was all kinds of a good time, though admittedly a little on the unusual side. Remind me to tell you about all the craziness when we get together next.

My week looks like this: Wednesday get off at 8:30, Friday off at 3:00, Saturday off at 8. If you want to try to do something, just let me know which day works for you.

Thursday is my last day at Waldens (thank God), but I'm stuck at Da Eagle until the 15th or so. Blah! Can't wait to tell those fiends to shove it. That'll be the highlight of the past 3 months. Ahh.... blissssssss....

The poopy thing is I *still* haven't heard back about the "good" interview, which is starting to really, really, really irritate me. And I thought *I* was a slacker... Yeeesh...

Oh well,
    Yours Truly

13. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Saturday night would work for me.... I am on my own, Kristy is having a girl's night out =)

14. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... Saturday would be cool. Unless there's a reason I shouldn't, I guess I'll plan on just popping by right after work at Da Eagle. I get off at 8, and would be at your place very shortly afterwards. I suppose just let me know how that sounds.

Off to work,
    Yours Truly

15. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Sounds good to me. Will you have eaten? We could order some food if you haven't.

16. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... I probably wouldn't have eaten anything since before 1pm, since I don't typically eat at all during my shifts at Da Eagle. So, by 8, I'll probably be fairly hungry. I'd be down with maybe ordering something.

Actually... brainstorm... since I'm at work, I could just pick up a frozen pizza when I'm done (whose cost we could split) and then just cook it up when I get to your place. That way we wouldn't have to wait like 45 minutes for a delivery boy to show up... Of course, that assumes you were talking about ordering pizza... If you weren't, then, uh... just ignore that last idea...

I guess just let me know how you want to work things.

Bought my very own copy of "Top 10" yesterday,
    Yours Truly

17. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Mmmmmm..... frozen pizza!

Sounds good, I'll preheat the oven!

18. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... Sounds like a plan! I'll be there with bells on... well, not really "bells," I guess... more like my totally cruddy black (plague) jeans and D'Eagle polio shirt.

Just played the longest game of "Yuri's Revenge" of my entire life,
    Yours Truly

19. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Here's the rundown of events that took place the other night, when Shewski and I got some CCG games in:

I swung over to his place after work, frozen pizza in tow, and cooked it up when we got there. After we ate and chatted for a bit, we kicked out three CCG games.

GAME#1: My Imp Occ(V) vs. His Updated MBO
    ---------------------------------------------
    This is kind of an odd game, as I manage to lose the most important key to my strategy on one of the very first turns, which prevents me from ever blowing up the Main Power Generators. So, I more or less just try to take the fight to Shewski, and try to make beatdowns when I can to make him lose force, while trying to set up my Garrison drains on Hoth. Unfortunately, Shewski manages to nuke the Death Star, hitting me for 14 damage, which is more or less the beginning of the end. After that, it's a simple matter for him to just pick me away down to nothing.

GAME#2: My Crazy Ewoks vs. His RalOps
    ---------------------------------------
    Fun game. I have trouble setting up my Ewok drains, though he gets Raltiir running rather quick. I keep hoping he'll come down and pick on my one lone ewok on the first few turns, as I could have brought the pain with a total of 4 destiny draws (with cards on table, and those in hand), but, alas, he leaves him alone. This is more or less a drain race, and it doesn't take a whole lot of time for him to pick me away to nothing.

GAME#3: My Imp Occ(V) vs. His DBO
    This game is SO close, it's not even funny. I manage to get the power generators blown on turn 3, and quickly follow up with dropping At-Ats down on Hoth to consolidate power and start the Garrison draining process. Shewski takes a little while to finish constructing his Dantooine base, and get his squadrons out. Let the drain race begin! By now, we're both doing on the order of 9 damage a turn to one another. We alternate smacking each other around, and, at the very bitter end, I end up losing by a whopping two force. D'oh! Very good game. Both our decks actually managed to perform in their intended fashion, and it made for a fun time.

After this, we busted out my 2-player intro TCG set, and tried out a "game" of that. We pulled out the burly 7 card decks, and went to it. I ended up winning because I'm able to roll the dice a little bit better, I guess. *shrug*

By this point, it's late, so I jet.

In other news, I'm making very good progress on my "Top Secret CCG Project" and may be able to unveil it in the coming week or so. I'll keep all you crazy fiends posted.

Got to sleep in today,
    Yours Truly

20. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    For my next DS deck, I'm going no objective. BWA HA HA! What CAN it be?

And for my next and greatest, LS deck, your puny walkers will finally meet their match!

21. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... no objective, eh? I'm curious now. Last time I made a non-objective was the Pod People I think. Can't wait to see what you came up with.

Trying to take my walkers out, huh? Do I smell snowspeeders? Commie Luke? *sniff sniff* I smell something...

Now that I'll have some free time, maybe I can throw something new together. Haven't done that in a loooooong time, it seems.

Going to see the Matrix today,
    Yours Truly

22. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    What's your weekend like, Brian? Are you heading to the meeting?

23. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... I had been planning on hitting up the meeting. You going?

In regards to the rest of the weekend, I work till 7pm on Friday, and then the uber-crappy 4 - 11 on Saturday (which is also my last day at Da Eagle).

I just found out (this very second actually) that some buddies of mine may be getting together for some board-gamin' action sometime Sunday afternoon/evening... Any interest in partaking?

It's late. Long day. I need sleep.

Is thankful no PowerAde appeared in Matrix 2,
    Yours Truly

24. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Sunday evening might be fun....I'll give you a call this weekend about that. I'm pretty clear, but I'm hanging out with Kristy in the afternoon, so no meeting for me!

25. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Howdy all,

Brian, sorry that I didn't get back to you. I was busy pretty much all day Monday since my Marine friend Andrew was in town. Are you interested in playing sometime this week?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.