SW:CCG Nostalgia.... Gotta love that game!

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by RidingMyCarousel, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Forgive me if this isn't the kind of topic that should be in here. [face_blush] If it isn't, I'll gladly lock it. :)

I was just going through my old anthology boxes and pulled out a few decks I had built up. The cards smelled fresh and itching to be played. So, for the first time since Theed Palace came out, I sat down with my brother and played the SW:CCG.

Oh, how I missed the game. I can't believe I forgot about it. I guess with the news of Attack of the Clones, I left it behind and became more interested in comics.

The coolest thing about this was being able to beat my brother with good ol' Rebel Troopers and some Corellian Corvettes. ;)

So... come, share nostalgic moments you've had about the SW:CCG and memories of the great game that Decipher created :)
  2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    In a tourney this past Saturday, I goaded my opponent into initiating an Epic Duel against my Jedi Luke armed with a saber. He completely forgot that Luke subtracted 3 from his total, so Luke won the duel 25-23. Good times, good times.
  3. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Heh heh. I loved tricking someone into something like that and then watching them frantically check their hand, the rulebook/glossary, all the cards on the table, and anything else they could think of to try and find some loophole or card to get out of it. Then finally they admit you just won or did some major smackdown. :)
    Problem is, it never worked again with them.

I am currently finding a few of these little tricks in the TCG as well, as new Battle and Mission cards come out.

My worst moment something like this was used against me was my RTP deck against a Tie Bomber deck. I think I have mentioned this before because it was such a bummer to me. Out of all the decks at the tourney, this was the one I was pretty much helpless against with my RTP. He just blew up all the sites one at a time. I still rescued her but it did no good. :(
  4. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    One of the funnest games I had was my brother's jawa deck and my ewok deck. First time we played it was incredibly boring. I couldn't leave Endor and he couldn't leave Tatooine so it was just a drain race. Next time he found a card that would allow him to come to endor. So it was Ewoks against Jawas! Neither deck stood any chance against a serious deck, but they were very fun to play with.

We had a bunch more serious games, some of them fun, but I can't specifically remember what kind of decks they were now.

My boyfriend played the game for a while and managed to get quite a few wins by using his Dianogas on Dagobah. One time he ate Luke. Luke didn't even stand a chance. But that was before the errata.
  5. MoronDude Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Most of the times I played was with my brothers. I had to bribe or really coax them into playing. Anyway, I'd make two decks, and we'd decide on what types of decks they'd be before I started. Ground or Space? If ground than what location: Tatooine, Cloud City, Hoth, Endor, the Death Star and Yavin IV? then I'd make pretty evenly matched decks:

6 Rebel Troopers - 6 Stormtroopers
    2 Rebel Squad Leaders - 2 Imperial Squad Leaders
    2 Rebel Guards - 2 Imperial Guards
    Luke and Obi-Wan - Vader and Tarkin

anyway, we'd play for about a half hour, sometimes alittle longer, but never usually finish a game because whatever I bribed them with at the time had worn thin and it is the worst to try and play a game with someone who isn't trying. Most of the time we'd put all our guys on one location and after we each had about 15, we'd attack until one of us had lost.

I love the game, but i need an opponant who enjoys it as much as I do. That's what is good about the TCG. You don't have enough time to get bored, a game usually lasts no more than 5 to 7 minutes.
  6. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    That is one of the reasons I like the TCG. It is easier to find people to play and get started collecting it. Plus, if I get tired of TCGs for a while I can put it down and not worry that 6 months later I won't know what the heck is going on with it. I just hope it stays that way while getting more interesting at the same time.

Then sometimes I just feel like a good ol' game of Pinochle or Euchre now and then.
  7. Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games)

VIP
    star 4
    Geez, I've got so many.. I guess one I would pick actually isn't a game moment... and that would be the first Regional Championship I went to with my crew (then consisting of four of us). It was right around Spring of '97 because everyone got 3 packs of Dagobah after paying the entrance fee.

I remember waslking in and being totally blown away. I had never seen 30+ players in one room all playing the same game I did. Kendrick Summers (then Gold Leader, I think) was there so it was cool to see a "real, live Decipher employee" (little did I know I'd be working with him a year and half later). I actually did pretty well, going 3-3.. not bad back when Asteroids and Dagobah Droids & Numbers were the decks of choice (bleh!)
  8. Restrainingbolt Jedi Master

star 4
    Personally I've always loved a mains and toys deck coupled with Harvest on Tatooine. For the darkside, I frequently played a no flip Endor Ops deck. If they start running Classic tournaments in my area, I'll most likely dust off my decks and jump in again!

R'bolt
  9. RogueRoyalGuard Jedi Knight

star 2
    Dose Mara Jade count as a Imp and alien or an Imp or a alien?
  10. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    Mara Jade is an Imperial AND an alien.

Mara Jade can be targeted by any card that targets an Imperial or an alien. She can not be targeted by a card that targets a non-Imperial or a non-alien.

Does that make sense?

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    She is either, and she is both. It depends on which card is requiring her to be which type.

For exmaple, Scum and Villainy searches for aliens. Mara is an alien, so her Imperial status is irrelevant.

See "Characters with dual icons" in the Glossary.
  12. NissoJape Jedi Knight

star 1
    This is the coolest ever!

when the ccg game first came out, me and my brother bought the VERY basic set. well we had no idea how to play and could care less about the rules, we ended up using no locations, just laying down cards, i had vader attack "run luke run" with i think a tusken raider weapon....HAHAHA! that is so genius! well he doesn't play anymore and i am just getting back into it ( and now finally learning the rules) but i play with my cousinand have a bunch of fun. some other examples were we would use rebel v.s. rebel and things like that. I remember one of the last games we played was one where i used i think it was an interrupt of boba fett against one of his han solo interrupts, since he had a better destiny number we said he won.....we were so LAME!
  13. NissoJape Jedi Knight

star 1
    lame, yet complete genius's.
  14. RogueRoyalGuard Jedi Knight

star 2
    you should be able to play Imp vs. Imp. you could call it Warlord or some thing like that. i guess i'll have to take Jade out 'cause I want to use Emrire's New Order or can you use jade with that?
  15. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    I still like to reminice (sp?) over my games at the '98 Bespin Regionals.

At that point, Jabba's Pallace was still new. For my light side I was playing Eloms/Odds/Counter Assault on Cloud City with Plastoid Armor and Lift Tubes so I could run away and make all my Eloms power 4 (6 if imperial present) with armor of 5 and be spies. Lift Tubes were great destiny and I could run all over Cloud City (using Lift Tube Escape to run or react to battles with just the Lift Tubes).

In one of my games, my opponent was playing a EV-9D9/EG-6 deck in Jabba's Palace with huge drains. For the first few turns I was able to cancel his drains by just putting Eloms on the Bargaining Table but eventually I drew one of my surprise assaults. With all those power droids there, and the only other droid he had was EG-6, I drew somewhere around ten destinies (many of which were my Lift Tubes of destiny 6) and resulted in him having to lose somewhere around 40 force from his own drain.

However that win bumped me up so much I had to play Matt Potters the next round which, if I remember correctly, was that year's world champion. Needless to say, I got smacked for it. But it was still great.

Another fun thing I've done is using a gross combination, I was able to make power 12 stormtroopers. It had something to do with Expanding The Empire on one of the spaceport sites, using trooper assault, and having Vader there so I could Dark Jedi Presence. During that battle I think I had somewhere over 100 power against the 40 something my opponent had. Another unusual victory on that one.

Unfortunately now, I only know of three players other than myself that still play the CCG in my state (MO) so I haven't had a chance to play since October '01. But those were good times...
  16. NissoJape Jedi Knight

star 1
    POWER 12? wow.....crazy. I remember once where I decided to play with myself, i just had luke and Vader stand there, one with an artillery weapon, the other with a gaderffi stick, then i got bored and went outside!
  17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Right now I'm running SYCFA and MBO decks, mostly for the pure thrill of doing theme decks. Of course, I don't blow up Alderaan or Yavin in my SYCFA deck, but it's still a lot of fun.
  18. NissoJape Jedi Knight

star 1
    I once played a game with both my cousins, actually on christmas eve, this one.....so not too long ago. Well i had my deck, my cousin had his, and then we built one out of both sides for my other cousin, we had two monumental battles, because my other cousin didn't want force drain....so he beat us all with a power of about 187 in space.....pretty cool.....
  19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I've had enormous space battles too. My favorite one was:

Dash in Outrider
    Wedge RSL in RS1
    Luke in Artoo & Red 5
    Elyhek Rue in Red 4 w/ Torpedoes
    Mirax and Jek Porkins in the Skate
    Tycho in Green 3
    Home One
    Spiral

vs

Thrawn in Chimaera
    Bossk in Hound's Tooth
    V Motti, Godherdt, and Merrejk in a virtual ISD
    Devastator
    Chiraneau and V Praji in Avenger

Needless to say, that battle lasted quite a long time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.