main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'SW Characters and Marriages' or 'Name Changes Are Annoying'

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fluke_Groundwalker, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    How come, when the women of STAR WARS get married, they adopt their husband's last name? For instance, Leia Organa became Leia Organa Solo, and Mara Jade became Mara Jade Skywalker. Why can't they drop their maiden name, and use their spouse's last name, like most women on Earth?

2. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Leia and Mara seem like the types to throw in their maiden names. And Leia might need to occaisionally remind dimwits in the senate that she's royalty and the adopted daughter of a Republic hero. Plus you see a lot of famous women here on Earth keeping their maiden names.

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    they just seem like the independent minded wonmen who would keep their maiden names.

¤Night

4. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I was always kinda upset about that too. Alion_Sangre put it perfectly though.

5. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Gracias, amigo.

6. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    if i ever got married i wouldn't drop my last name (i like my last name, it's obviously not really skylark but it's still cool), i wouldn't tac my husband's last name after mine either... i wouldn't change my name at all. accually, my first name sucks... i might eventually change that... but probably not

~NiKe SKyLaRK~

EDIT: i just added more stuff

7. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Who really cares!! Jade is like the last part of Mara's origanal identilty!Let her keep it!

8. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    I always thought there were a couple of reasons why Leia kept Organa and added Solo. She had a name for herself prior to her marriage. She was a professional woman as well as a member of a royal family, so it might have been logical to keep that name for her. I guess it's the same with professional people today. If a woman has a reputation with her maiden name, she often keeps it alone or adds on the husband's name.

I also thought that perhaps LFL and the publishers thought that it might be easier to get used to the "Solo" added to her name if Organa was still there, instead of just Leia Solo. Her name without the Organa there, I have actually gotten used to, but I know in the past I would have thought it sounded odd without the Organa there.

As for Mara, I guess she had made a name for herself also, but I wouldn't have thought that she would need to keep her maiden name. Maybe with her, the independent woman factor comes in? Or maybe she just copied, Liea. ;) J/K. :)

9. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    There have also been those who have just taken their husband's name, like Mirax Horn Iella Antilles and others.

I assume that it is a personal choice, just like here on Earth.

Kimball Kinnison

10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Why does it matter? It's an accepted practice here on Earth.

TC

11. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    Why can't they drop their maiden name, and use their spouse's last name, like most women on Earth?

Last time I checked, Leia and Mara are not like most women on earth. ;)

I think the deal with Mara's last name was based on the precedent of Leia's last name.

12. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Is Winter now Winter Celchu? Should Asyr be Asyr Sei'lar Darklighter?

13. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Did winter have another part to her name?...i don't seem to remember any...

14. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    <<Should Asyr be Asyr Sei'lar Darklighter>>

Why?

wk

15. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    As far as I know, we were never told Winter's last name. Perhaps she doesn't have one. Either way, I always think of her last name as Celchu now.

Gavin and Asyr aren't married. He married Sera Faleur according to the Unofficial Encyclopedia.

16. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Mirax Terrik Horn, not Mirax Horn. Yeah, Asyr had to fake her own death after Borsk ranted and raved at her.

17. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Just a theory, but it's likley Bail Antilles took his wife's last name, and became Bail Organa. Under this idea, Han Solo would become Han Organa.

I definitely like Leia Organa Solo better than Han Solo Organa.

18. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Bail Antilles and Bail Organa aren't the same guy. Bail must be the Alderaanian version of "John" or "Chang" or whatever the most common name on this planet is.

19. mj

mj Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 12, 1998
    There are many women on Earth that DON'T take their husbands' names at all, and plenty that hyphenate. I would agree with the post above that Leia and Mara both developed professional reputations with their maiden names and decided to keep them.

Keep in mind that Leia is also royalty. In the political arena, the name Organa certainly has to give her some clout. So why get rid of it?

20. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    I don't think they have to take their husband's name at all! I don't understand why we have to do it here; to symbolize that the wife belongs to the husband? well she doesn't, at least not in the ownership sense that used to be popular. I would expect the GFFA to have already done away with such a stupid antiquated ritual.

anyway, I've seen "10 Things I Hate About You" a few too many times, but that's the way I feel.

21. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Taking names can be dumb to a point, but were I to have children(which I'm not) I'd want the same name they would have. I don't think it's a big deal anyhow. The nice thing is that there is a choice now. I myself would do it, but mostly because I hate my last name. ;)

22. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I kept my last name when I got married and I've never regretted it. We have to kids and it's not causing any sort of problems. It's strictly a personal choice. I just didn't understand why I should give up my identity just because I got married.

23. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    When Jacen and Tenel Ka tie the knot, Jacen will have to adopt her name, becuase he will be in the royal family.

24. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Gavin and Asyr aren't married

Oh, I know, but they should have been. Not my use of "should" instead of "are." I was just speculating on how interspecial couples would manage naming conventions.

25. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't see it as being a loss of identity, or a sense of ownership. I just think a married couple should have the same last name, and that name should be the same as their children's. Be it John Doe Smith and Jane Smith Doe, or John Doe and Jane Doe, or John Smith and Jane Smith, or John Smith-Doe and Jane Doe-Smith or John Simoe and Jane Simoe, or John Smith and Jane Doe Smith... :D But that's just me. :) Of course, it's different for step children and adopted children... :)

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.