main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG sw comics by dark horse--any1 read them?

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by benTantilles, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    just wondering if anyone here's into star wars comics... rogue squadron, open seasons, republic, empire, SOTE:evolution...any of them ring a bell? got introduced to them about a year ago and have been hooked ever since...

2. siaosaber

siaosaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    first of all , i am not exactly a "comic" guy . but i am very interested to read up all the sw comics. can you share a bit on how i can be hook?? where to start?? :)

3. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    sure. there's no proper star wars comic to start off with coz they span over the entire star wars timeline...from 'tales of the jedi' (supposed to be a really good series but i've never actually read it myself) set in 5000 years before ANH to 'chewbacca' set after vector prime (good series... a tribute to the recently-deceased wookie). i personally found the following series to be highly enjoyable:
    1) x-wing: rogue squadron
    this series, in my opinion, encompasses both the best & worst comics in star wars history. it includes several subseries or arcs, the best of which include 'the phantom affair', 'in the empire's service' & 'blood honour'. blood & honour consists of 2 miniarcs: the making of baron fel (that was one kick ass comic!) & family ties (which introduces corran horn & iella wessiri). i strongly advise u to give the arc 'rebel opposition' a wide berth...it sucked big time, no doubt the worst star wars comic in the minds of many.
    2) jango fett: open seasons
    u can either get the individual issues (#1-#4) or the trade paperback (TPB, a collection of the 4 issues. no adverts inside, good value for money). lotsa action, touches on the history of the mandolarians. wadeva u do, don't miss out #3 where jango takes on the jedi...man, that was cool...
    3)the ongoing 'republic' & 'empire' series (ongoing meaning that new issues are still being released)
    excellent series. republic deals with the post-epI, pre-epIII timeline. covers many arcs, including one on ki-adi-mundi, several on the jedi quinlan vos (don't miss those out) and many more. it actually didn't start off being called 'republic'...it was just called 'star wars' followed by the arc's name. (am i confusing u yet? :D). for issue #47, the series was renamed 'republic' as it started dealing with issues concerning the republic as a whole, not just the jedi. the clone wars are specifically featured in the latest republic issues. the empire series, currently about 9 issues strong but increasing every month or so, is good, too. wanna see vader in action? this is the series to turn to. set in the years following the formation of the empire (hence the name...). touches on yavin base and the defection of biggs & co as well.

dark empire was supposed to have been good... it heralds the resurrection of the emperor & is set immediately after the thrawn trilogy novels by timZahn. didn't enjoy it, tho.

*phew!* well, that about does it...this list isn't exhaustive (tho it was kinda exhausting to type...). for a complete list, check out http://www.darkhorse.com/products/zones/z_starwars/zp_timeline/index.html

and btw, i'm not really a comics guy either (would u have guessed?)

4. siaosaber

siaosaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    Ok , thanks for sharing. Maybe next month , i will go to comic shop and see see.but dont know whether can get any full series? :)

5. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    well i've read a bit here and there

The Sith War

Dark Lords Of The Sith

some of the rogue squadron series here and there SOTE evolutions as well

6. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I used to buy and read a lot before Leisure Central stop selling comics.

Dark Empire is a great read but some people may not like it due to its dark drawings.

TOTJ are also good IMHO, especially the ones covering Ulic Qel-Droma (The Golden Age of the Sith and The Fall of the Sith Empire is okay though IMHO, it lacks the impact the other TOTJ have). Redemption is pretty good too and it has the better drawing style compared to The Sith War or Dark Lord of the Sith.

SW Tales will make a good parody stories as most of the stories are alternate storylines.

My favourite so far is the Crimson Empire Series and Darth Maul.

Well, think my last comic set was Mara Jade or Darth Vader. Feel like want to start reading and collecting again soon.

7. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    OMG, you guys wanna hear something quite hilarious??

I was going thru' my old comics awhile back, and realised that I had actually bought a number of SW comics, along with some Lobo, Batman, X-Men, Spawn, The Crow, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Aliens/Predator, Species, X-Files comics, and yipes!... I think there's even a Daredevil TPB in there too!!

I had kinda totally forgotten about them till I did that bit of "spring-cleaning"... haha! :p

...hmmm, didn't know I was such a big SW fan, even back then in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996?? LOL! :p

Say, what kinda of comics do you guys favour?
    I used to love Image Comics, Dark Horse Comics, and DC Comics, so most of my old comics are either Image, DC or Dark Horse.

I used to love reading movie tie-in type comics, as well as a few alternative type things... not so much Neil Gaiman stuff, but other similar type things.

Still, my absolute fave remains Lobo... dunno why, it's just plain sick and twisted, but I still love it anyways... I dunno why, but it still makes me laugh when I read it :p

...actually, come to think of it, I do have some idea why I enjoy it so much, it's just that Lobo is this big tough guy, but somehow I still see this little boy inside of him when I read the comics, and I just seem to really enjoy the character :)

8. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    I got the Dark Empire, The Sith War, Tales of the Jedi and a ESB comic.

9. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm not really a comic book person, but ever since X2 came out, I've been borrowing X-Men comics from the public libraries (when I can find them). :p Not that into SW comics.

10. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    " but dont know whether can get any full series? "
    open seasons TPB is an entire serie by itself... only 4 issues, but worth every penny. jango vs jedi...that was one of the most thrilling battle scenes i've seen.

" some of the rogue squadron series here and there "
    which ones, faiz?

"some people may not like it due to its dark drawings. "
    like myself, for example.... prefer comics which convey information rather than emotion. no, i do most of the emotive deduction myself... but that's a personal preference.

jedi jean-
    man, how could u forget things like that?! i guess that age must really be getting to u... ;) (.....gonna be regretting that sometime soon.....)
    so which sw comics do u have?

anyway, i chiefly like dark horse comics (mainly coz i haven't read that many from other companies)

"Not that into SW comics"
    oh well...your loss. but seriously, u should try checking some out... they've contributed much to the EU storyline & have great art in 'em.

11. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2001
    if u want to check out the comics before buying them...go to the Orchard library...

12. Faiz

Jun 1, 2002
    masquerade was one of the series. i forgot the other =\ maybe u could fire off all the series and i'll pick from the MCQ? lol

13. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    the orchard library has sw comics? cool...will go check it out sometime.

masquerade. hmm...that wasn't too bad, it wasn't the best either. so, about your other one...u gotta gimme a hint, dude, coz there're about a dozen arcs within the rogue squadron series.... here're some questions which should narrow it down..
    does it have baron fel in it?
    any rogue die in it?
    did it suck?
    what's it called?

an answer 2 that last one would be helpful...

14. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Faiz: Think u still have something that is mine. :p

Hmm, the last time I check, Orchard Library only got certain titles; popular ones that is. Stock could had increased since then.

15. Faiz

Jun 1, 2002
    yeah fatimah, i noe, your sw comics, lol. lemme, uh, sort them out first, lol

16. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Ok, I haven't posted in quite awhile...blame it on NS ;).

I'm a big comic book reader, but I'm not that well read for SW comics. I've got the popular ones like Dark Empire (which I think is the best), but I'm sure there are many other good ones, especially now Dark Horse is reprinting all of Marvel's old SW comics which take place between ANH and ESB if I'm not wrong. :)

17. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003

Dark Empire had some interesting plot elements (but what story which featured the emperor's resurrection, boba fett & the fall of coruscant wouldn't?) but in my opinion, they pace was far too fast... i'm a die-hard sw novel fan, and the thrawn trilogy had a really big impact on me... the transition from the alliance's victory in the last command to their chaotic state of affairs---complete with their loss of coruscant-- in dark empire was WAY to hurried.... u can't possibly hope to go from the former to the latter without a thorough explanation... also, the fact that dark horse was set mere days after the thrawn trilogy contradicts the story told in isard's revenge.... unless, of course, the 'mere days after thrawn's death' which dark empire occurred is taken much less literally. gonna take a major continuity patch to fix that one up...

anyway, u should check out some of the other comics i mentioned...open seasons, x-wing rogue squadron: in the empire's service, republic, empire...great comics, all...

18. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2001
    comics mart at serene centre sells SW comics also... lots of titles....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.