main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG SW Costuming Notes

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Darth_Eagle, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    The Thread to discuss about SW Costuming . . . 90% of the time! :D Add in more info or questions if you got 'em! ;)

Areas Where you can get fabric for SW Costumes:

Arab Street (near Sultan Mosque)

Chinatown (People's Park Food Center 2nd Level)

Spotlight Orchard Point & Tampinese DBS Building

Your Neighbourhood Cloth Stores. ;)

Places Where you can get materials for SW Costumes/Props:

Art-Friend Craft
    Bras Basah Complex #03-33

Sagacity Art & Crafts
    Bras Basah Complex, #02-93
    -Acrylic cheaper to get here.

Army Market
    -Golden Mile Tower, Beside Old Army Market Beach Road
    -Outside Nee Soon Camp?

Your Neighbourhood Hardware Stores. ;)

Websites Useful For Costumes Designing

JediCouncil Prop & Costuming

Obi-Wan Jedi Academy

The Padawan Guide

Amber's Jedi Meditation Chamber

The Jedi Temple

McCall's Patterns

Simplicity Patterns

Here are some shops where you can rent SW costumes in case of "emergency" (ranked according to quality of costumes)

No. 1 Costume Costume
    No. 145, Neil Road
    -Mixture but mostly specially made/No Rubbies Costumes. :)

Foreigners House Of Costumes
    No. 268 Middle Rd (opposite Peace Centre)
    -Rubbies and Specially Made?

Costumes & Mascots
    785 North Bridge Rd Singapore 198753
    -mostly Rubies
    -can also place order for certain SW Rubies props

Jewel's Costumes
    The Plaza (Near The Plaza Hotel & Behind Furniture Mall Beach Road) #B1-310/311
    -Mostly Rubies

Darth Eagle's Terminator :D
    -depend on your size? ;)

2. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Just a little note I've found; James' Lightsaber is the Echelon Lightsaber.

Other types available is the Plasma Lightsaber but that one gaurentee cannot spare with. ;)

3. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
  4. solidnono

solidnono Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    i noticed u do ur shopping frm ART FRIENDS too, DE. so im wondering whether u get any discounts while purchasing frm them??
    Because if u dont, i could help u with that coz im a NAFA student and im entitled to a 10% or 15% discount. it may not be a big amount but overall it helps out abit. or u can get frens frm lascelle-SIA, the other institute which enjoys discounts frm ART FRIENDS.

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Every time I buy from them, I seems to be paying less for some items like the Wire Mesh, Rigid Wrap or anything priced more than a few dollars. :p Donno why; maybe the lady can guess I'm a student with my black file and heavy bag, and endless questions on the uses, durablility of the items they sell or not sell. ;)

It's okay, Solidnono, I haven't start buying that much stuffs yet, maybe after July when I have to buy 20-30 packets of white feathers. :eek:

6. Delight

Delight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    DE! What about down feather pillows? ;) Hope that dress comes to fruition. I want to see it!

Two other costumes I've been 'wondering' about: Bail Organa's blue and the Palpatine brown. Figured that the Organa costume is going to be waaayyyy too hot to wear here (is that wool turtleneck or what?). Got a chuckle from the 'graduation hood' on the Palpatine brown. Don't know if I'd ever get around to making them, though.

7. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Actually, Delight, the feathers are for my Wings, Adam Kadmon of Angel Sanctuary. :p Hence the 20-30 packets combined with a few metre of faux fur.

Sabe's Gown Headgear will need just about 4 packets of Black (Random) Wings (of which I got 1 1/2 packet now) and 5 of the whole feathers.

Hope your Rainbow one will come true soon too! ;)

8. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Went to Action City today and saw they got lots of Don Post Boba Fett Helmets, Version 1996; costing $69.90 each.

This helmet can be used for Boba (Duh!) and Jango. But be warn that it need a paint job and some modifications as the original color is too dark and dull, and the eye piece is just a rectangular slit so you have to cut out the front a bit to create the T-Shape and add new Visor.

Also available are some TPM Battle Droid Blaster Rifle, like mine. Cost $39.90 each :_| :_| (I gotten mine for US$9.90 but the shipping was $19.90 :_| ). It need just some paint job to cover the Orange Tip and Removing the SW Sticker. ;)

9. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    DE - Which Action City shop did u go to?

10. solidnono

solidnono Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    if im not wrong DE went to the 1 in heeren. becoz thats where i also saw the helms, kinda of cool !!!

11. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Oh ok. I gotta check it out next week :D. No money to buy anything though.. but I like the battle driod blaster. I'm convinced it can be used for costuming purposes.

;)

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Yes, Hereen one I went to today. Drop by on my way to Ultimate Toys Collectibles at Midpoint Orchard, from Taka. Wish they have Padme's Pistol instead as I need it to add on to my costume. :p

Anyone still lacking YODA? Can try Ultimate Toys Collectibles as saw about 3 there but I donno the price tag.

13. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Are Covertec pager clips available in Singapore?

Parks Sabers seems to be selling their lightsabres a little more expensive than at buystarwarsstuff.com. Is there any difference?

14. Delight

Mar 25, 2001
    JediClare, does Parksabers ship outside the States? It wasn't very clear on their website....

DE, what sort of velvet did you use for the maroon handmaiden robe/cloak? I think the costume itself used quite 'heavy'/'expensive'-looking velvet. Don't know if I want to fork out more than SGD6 for one meter of that (cheap looking)42" plastic-backed velvet...

happey sewing...

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I used Taffeta Velvet, the cheapest kind bought at a shop at Arab Street (can be found at Little India too). It has very short coat and plastic like backing. Cost me $3/m. It can tolerate cool ironing it seems.

Currently, the problem with this velvet is it's too light so I'm either gonna use double layers (Velvet + Satin) for my new Royal Guard Outer Robe or Upgrade to a heavier Velvet which is unlikely as I've decide the color for my helmet (Fire Red). Seems Tafetta Velvet the only one to have Fire Red.

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    A kinda important website to note ;)

Boots Of Star Wars

But I do think Jedis and Smugglers can wear Reeboks and Nike! :p

17. Delight

Mar 25, 2001
    What about sandals with leather/twine 'tongs'?

Q: What does a Jedi at the beach sun-tanning wear?

[face_plain] :) :D

18. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    :eek:

US$250 = :_|

Is it less expensive to buy normal riding boots, then put on the leather straps or to buy replicas?

::Still in shock :eek:::

:p :D

19. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Anyone thinking of getting Riding Boots locally should check out D'equestrian Paradise Singapore Pte Limited.

They have a range of Riding Boots that cost anything from about SGD$100 upwards, so you can probably try them to find the right pair of boots for yourself.

The price depends on:
    - boot size
    - width of your calves
    - materials the boot is made out of (rubber or leather)
    - brand of the boot
    - whether or not there is a comfortable lining on the inside of the boot
    - The height of the boot (whether it is ankle-high, calf-high, or knee-high boots)

Here are the details of the store:

D'equestrian Paradise Singapore Pte Limited

Address:
    No. 6 Tagore Drive,
    #01-05,
    Tagore Industrial Building,
    Singapore 787623.

Tel: 6554-0550 (24 hrs)

Fax: 6554-0301

E-mail: dequest@starhub.net.sg

Shopsite: horseshop.com.sg

Here's a suggestion though...
    If you're on a budget, you might want to contact them first to find out if they are having any special promotions on any of their boots, before you go down to buy a pair for yourself. This way, you might be able to get them at discounted prices instead of at the usual prices.

20. Delight

Mar 25, 2001
    Whoah, Jean, thanks for the heads up!

*looks into bank accont, then looks at credit account relating to Star Wars stuff*

*faints*

:D

Anyhow, bought the fabric for the 'rainbow' dress... now wondering how one sews chiffon. argh.

21. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Delight, you can try Ballpoint needle (Blunt end needle) since it's the kind used for delicate fabrics.

Today, I think I've just found the long lost Singapore Stormtrooper . . . :eek:

22. tmingyang

tmingyang Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    I'm sorry, but where is Ultimate Toys Collectibles ?

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Ultimate Toys Collectible is located at the 3rd Level of Midpoint Orchard, the building between Orchard OG and Orchard Emerald. It's beside the escalator, a small corner shop and you can't miss it with its window filled with toys. ;)

(The second level seems to have a very interesting adult shop . . . :eek: )

IMHO, it's good for some loose SW figures, some old used toys and occasionally that bargain MIB items like 4" Maul With Sith Attack Speeder going for $25 instead of $50 or more. They also got loose clothings and accesories for 12" Posable Action Figures. ;)

:_| :_| I really will love to get the last Maul Lightsaber there as it's half the actual price. :D

24. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Does anyone have any pictures or know of any site with good, clear pictures of Episode I Obi-Wan's costume (esp. the belt, pouches etc. and the boots) and his lightsabre? I can't seem to find a good picture of the pouch at the back...

25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    JediClare, I keep forgetting to ask :p but which Pen's pen cap did you used for the food/energy capsules, how much and where to get them? I think they are the closest I have seen to the original and I think I should continue making my NJO Jedi Suit more complete. ;)

The ones recommanded by OB1 Jedi Academy is "Staedtler Liquid Roller pen" cover and round buttons (will buy lots now ;) ) of which the first I didn't remember seeing in shops cause I don't use Liquid Pen anymore (am using Gel G3, G-Tech, Sakura now :p )

And could these be the pictures/instructions you're looking for?

OB1 Belt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.