main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG SW Costuming Notes

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Darth_Eagle, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Yes! Thank you! :) :) :p

That's the one recommended, but I couldn't find that (and I was a bit desperate; it was only one or two days to the TODAY screening :p). There's also another picture of three yellow caps which look similar to it:

[image=http://www.jedi-academy.com/props/foodcapsules.jpg]
    http://www.jedi-academy.com/props/foodcapsules.jpg

and those are the ones I used.

Go to staedtler.com, click on 'products' on the bar at the bottom, then 'writing instruments', 'rollerballs', and finally 'liquid point 415'.

EDIT: or look under Prequel/Item/General Equipment/Food Pellets at Parts of Star Wars.

I got them at a Popular bookstore for $1.85 each.

:)

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I'm running off to AMK Popular now. :D

And that craft/sewing shop for more round buttons.

3. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I got the Pens and Buttons for the Food/Energy Capsules!!! :D :D

They are Staedtler Gel Roller Point 0.4 and cost $1.44 at Popular. The caps are transparent through but it the only one to fit the look of the recommanded one. I'll sand, primer and paint it this weekend I hope but first must figure out which glue I can use to glue the button to the bottom first! ;)

Thanks for the link too, JediClare! :) It seems that other Pen caps that we can use is Liquid Point 5/7. I'll keep a look out for the Liquid Point 5/7 and 415 too!

I also gotten Uni-Ball Signo Broad & Pilot V Ball Extra Fine whose caps can also be used for a variety in the length and design. But these are Plastic Clip so must clip on carefully! (DE remembering how many G-Tech Pen Clip she broke within a month when clipped them to her jeans pocket )

4. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    The Gel pens' caps are slightly different from the 415 one, but they're nicer to use (IMHO). I'm still struggling to finish the 415 pens. :p

(Oh no...I'm planning to make new food capsules...12 of them... :_| :p)

5. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Are the Covertec belt clips available in Singapore?

6. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Not sure.

But IF I do get hold of some from US, will you or 2 other people be willing to pay at least US$7 (SGD14) for it? :D

7. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I would. :D

8. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    I need at least four. [face_plain] :S (Wallet: Ouch.)

But if it's in bigger shipments it's slightly less expensive for each one, right?

DE - You mentioned before (somewhere) that leather can be gotten at Chinatown. Which shop? And is there anywhere else I can get brown leather, or something that looks and feels like it?

9. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    JediClare, maybe you can try Spotlight, but it may be more costly there than it is in Chinatown.

DE, your further assistance is needed in this matter...

10. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Went to Spotlight today for a hasty look around before rushing off for dinner, and I didn't see the leather I was looking for (for the belt and pouches). But I saw what could be used to make Anakin's tabards. :p

If the little basic sewing machine is ever found among the stuff under the stairs, I might try making a bigger hood. :p How do I accurately (more or less) measure how much cloth I should use for the hood?

11. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    JediClare, the leather I mentioned at Chinatown is the thin type. Not actually leather but Vinyl and the aunty selling it called it Fake Leather or PVC. I think you better not use it to make the Pouches.

The shop is located near the middle of the place near the staircase or clearing. It's the only shop selling this kind of Vinyl as sample pieces on cardboard. I'll check out the name or address when I go there again one of these days. ;)

Army Market got this shop that have the old uncle making Police Holster, Pouch out of real thick leather but the place is under renovation till Oct(?) so I donno of he'll be back or where he's currently. Golden Mile Tower may have such shop (some of the shops from Army Market moved there) but I haven't check it out fully.

Far East Plaza got this shop that looks like making & selling leather stuffs (like the Hereen Shop). I'll check it out again when I go there tomorrow (must get my Insider and IRG figure anyway ;) )

For Anakin's Tabbard, better not get that Wet Look Vinyl from Spotlight (if that's what you're thinking) as it's too shiny and expansive. I had a whole lots of trouble sewing it anyway, even with my Walking Foot but think a piece of tissue will solve the problem. I will see if Chinatown have that shade of Dark Brown as Arab Street don't have. Vinyl at Arab Street cost $5/m while Chinatown $5/yard.

Moreover, Anakin's Tabbard is only Vinyl on the front; the back/underside is actually cotton or wool! :eek:

Near the left most side of the Orchard Spotlight at the back, they also got PVC-Vinyl which are thicker but not thick enough to make belt. It cost $12.90/m. Color: White, Black, Rust, ???? :p

12. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    For belt if I can't find suitable leather that's thick enough, it doesn't really matter. I can just buy one wide belt and one thin one and put them together. :p But I think leather would be better 'cos I can control the exact width that I want.

As for pouches, my plan is to cut a mineral bottle in half to get the rectangular shape as well as the grooves of the front of the pouches, paint it, then use leather to make the back of the pouches and the flap to close it. If there's no thick leather to be found, then perhaps I can sew two or three layers of leather-like vinyl together and use that. What do you think?

13. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    For the pouches, that sound like a good and money saving idea. ;) The only thing it that when you paint the plastic, give it a few layers of paints, best 2 layers of Primer and 2-3 layers of color paints and 1 layer of Finisher best with sanding the surface a bit in between the first 3-4 layers (Primer & Paint just before final color coat). And you have to get the correct type of spray paint in the first place cause mineral water bottle can get "sensitive" to certain chemicals (jusrt think of hot water & plastic bottles).

As for your leather belt, are you aiming for TPM or AOTC version? If you're willing to wait longer, you can get the leather you need. We just need to search more for the shop that sell leather cheaper (the Hereen Shop selling it at $10 square foot and I haven't check out the Far East one :p ). And have you found the belt "end" yet (some people say it's from a shoe for OB1 and Anakin's is commercially available, maybe even at Spotlight)?

Personally for me, I'm waiting for Beach Road Army Market to reopen again to get the "Old Uncle" to do some pistol holster and pouches for me. :D

Hmm, to buy Rubies' Jango Pistol now or wait for Oct which has success rates of 25% as only 1-3 shops will have it (2 costume shops and TRU)?

EDIT: Forget to add, the original pouches are made of RESIN and scuptured but you can use Scuply instead although I'm not sure how to attach it to the belt. :p

14. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    And you have to get the correct type of spray paint in the first place cause mineral water bottle can get "sensitive" to certain chemicals

What's the 'correct' type of spray paint?

As for your leather belt, are you aiming for TPM or AOTC version?

What's the difference between the TPM and AOTC belts? I thought they were the same.

And have you found the belt "end" yet

Nope, but I don't expect it to be difficult to find. Although Obi-Wan's is more unusual, Anakin's looks like it came from a plastic buckle of a waistpouch (or my sandals :D), painted silver. And there's always the 'custom-look' option to fall back upon. :p

the original pouches are made of RESIN and scuptured but you can use Scuply instead although I'm not sure how to attach it to the belt.

In the AOTC Visual Dictionary, Anakin's pouches seem to be attached to his belt by clips similar to the pen caps'.

What's Scuply? [face_blush] :p

Thanks! :)

15. L0rd-NyaX

L0rd-NyaX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    Woo!! you guys really making costumes eh... Maybe i shall try something after O's.. Sounds really fun.. any Sith Theme suggestions? or bounty hunter ones :p

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    What's the 'correct' type of spray paint?

Shawn said use something water based(?) like he use Nippon Paints for his helmets and I'm doing the same for mine. You can get it from normal hardware stores but range of colors is usually smaller compared to main Nippon Paint Distributors. I gotten my Fire Red from this shop near Textile Centre at Beach Road cause the one near my house don't have it.

Krylon can also do the job according to the US Costumers but it's harder to find here (try some hardware or DIY shop at Marina Square?). The ones at Spotlight seems quite ex and the lady at Orchard Point keep insisting I can't use it for Plastics.

What's the difference between the TPM and AOTC belts? I thought they were the same.

Oppss. I was a bit blur here. :p

Ya, they are basically the same but why do I sense OB1 is one Jedi who gets hungry easily cause he got 12 Food/Energy Capsules unlike Anakin who got 8. No wonder he found Dexter's Cafe in the first place. ;)

Although Obi-Wan's is more unusual

Someone said he gotten the buckle from his shoes or sandle. :p

Anakin's looks like it came from a plastic buckle of a waistpouch (or my sandals ), painted silver.

The metal buckle in the correct color/tone can be found in stores as someone gotten a lot off his local fabric/handicraft store. I haven't have a look at Spotlight or Arts Friends Craft yet as they may have it too.

And there's always the 'custom-look' option to fall back upon.

LOL! I'm doing my Jedi as a more New Jedi Order or not the usual Jedi Knight so I'm falling back upon the "custom-look" a lot! :D Think I also want to get myself a better belt but will leave it to later when I found someone selling leather for less than $10 per square foot.

Must fix my tabbards and Obi first too as I'm thinking of switching to matte vinyl and having it more like Anakin's, no more cross over on my back and instead a V that goes to below the belt.

What's Scuply?

It's something like Clay or Plaster but in various color and much lighter. Harden by baking in an oven. Unfortunately, it kinda cost a bit high for something sold in small package (small pack is about the palm size and $9.90?)

So far, I've found it at the Craft shop below Spotlight Orchard Point.

17. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    L0rd-NyaX, for Bounty Hunter try Jodo Kast (heard a lot of protesting from Boba's Fans and an applause from Jodo's only Costume Supportor!).

Or Zuckuss or Bossk or Dengar? (MINI MAUL: Mistress!! He'll melt under Singapore Sun!!

Aha! You should try out Kenix Kil aka Kir Kanos from Dark Horse Comic's Crimson Empire II. He's one Bounty Hunter as efficient as Boba Fett although less armed. ;)

For Sith Lords, I can recommand Naga Shadow (MINI MAUL: He's an alien, a REAL Sith, Mitress . . .
    DE: All the better, my pet . . .
    )
    or Exar Kum or Darth Bane before Yavin 4 (don't try out after Yavin 4 cause you gonna give most people goosebumps! :eek: )

Anyhow, it's up to your choice and how much you can commit yourself to do most parts of the costume/armor yourself. ;)

18. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    why do I sense OB1 is one Jedi who gets hungry easily cause he got 12 Food/Energy Capsules unlike Anakin who got 8. No wonder he found Dexter's Cafe in the first place.

LOL [face_laugh]

Have you read the Jedi Apprentice series? Obi-Wan is always hungry. :p

Thanks for all the info! :)

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Yub, yub JediClare! But I stopped at somewhere around #12 cause nowadays too lazy to go to library and AMK one is under renovation (next accesible one will be Orchard but it got no kids books, I think).

As for the belt, I enquired with the Hereen Shop and he said will charged about $160+/- :eek: with the center front buckle we provide ourselves. I'll try to ask around the Cosplay ML if they know where can get leather by the meter or cheaper belt maker (hope someone knows cause I seems to be the only few answering costuming questions there :( ).

Can't locate the Leather stuffs shop at Far East Plaza though. :(

As for how big the Jedi Robe Hood should be, my question concerning it some time ago was answer as:
    "WE DID OURS 5 OR 6 INCHES LARGER HEIGHT WISE . I THINK SOME WE DID WERE AS BIG AS 25X50 . I THINK THE BIG ONES LOOK BETTER AND MORE AUTHENTIC . IF YOU HAVE TIME AND ITS YOUR FIRST ONE I SUGGEST A TEST ROBE . IF YOU DONT HAVE TIME MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH TO EXPERAMENT . YOU CAN ALLWAYS REMOVE FABRIC , BUT YOU CANT REALLY ADD ."

Someone told me too to make it as big or bigger than your body (or do a test piece with cheap $0.90 cloth like Muslin or gauze?). On how to fit it to the collar, can use pleats around the seam to make sure it fit. ;)

Delight, previously you asked about Parksabre's Lightsabres. I check it out and yes they do ship to Singapore (I think James gotten his from there ;) ) and it only cost US$25 extra. So you'll end up paying $300++ for the lightsabre in total. ;)

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Just some random address of shops at Arab Street and Chinatown you may find useful:

ARAB STREET
    Gim Joo Textile Company
    No. 90, Arab Street
    Closes at about 5-6pm, Mon-Sat

Aik Bee Textile Co.
    No. 69, 71 and 73, Arab Street
    When the cloak strikes 4.30pm, Mon-Sat, the workers will start closing shop

Lallubhai & Bros.
    No. 103, Arab Street
    Sell gloves, laces, rhinestones etc; just for your random Republic/Imperial citizen needs ;)

CHINATOWN
    Peng Hin (S) Corporation
    #03-1078
    Blk 32, People's Park (Food Centre)
    For those looking for extra hair to make Wookie Scalp Braid? Or Hair Extensions for Padme? (Ps: The Gloves here are more expansive than at Arab Street but they got little kids size!)

Will add more address, especially from Chinatown as I spent more time there. :p

21. noora

noora Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2002
    Hi!

'As for the belt, I enquired with the Hereen Shop and he said will charged about $160+/- with the center front buckle we provide ourselves. I'll try to ask around the Cosplay ML if they know where can get leather by the meter or cheaper belt maker (hope someone knows cause I seems to be the only few answering costuming questions there ).'

Is there someone in the Heeren who can make Jedi Belts?

Noora

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Hereen has a shop that can make Leather stuffs, especially belts but the price is quite expansive IMHO (or I gave him the wrong measurements). :(

It's the one on the 3rd level near the escalator going up (Shop Name: 310?). You can't miss it. ;)

I'll check out some places where some people recommanded having belt quality leather being sold by the metre soon at Bugis & Marina Mandarin.

23. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    I have a little suggestion: once (or if, if we're going to have one) the SGFF website is up, could we put a costuming section, one especially for Singaporeans? Many costuming websites that are based somewhere outside of Singapore, like in the U.S., so there are a lot of references to Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc., which Singapore doesn't have. So maybe we could do one for Singaporeans, e.g. you can get the Staedtler 415 pens at Orchard Popular (instead of Wal-Mart or Home Depot ;)), and leather at a shop at The Heeren (instead of Tandy Leather).

Unless there's already one that blind ol' me hasn't spotted. :p

24. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    That's a GREAT idea, JediClare! :) We should dedicate a section to Costuming in Singapore when we get round to put up our own SGFF website. The other thing that we should also put up is of course the FAQ for SGFF and reports/photo albums for our activities.

I was putting together all shops addresses pertaining to Cosplaying (Costumers, Fabrics, Crafts etc) last year but my notebook swallow them up last Dec. Will do a special one pertaining to SW Costuming but of course, I can't (and shouldn't) do it alone; will need help and info from everybody, especially on Feedbacks! ;)

25. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001

Originally posted by JediToren:

Recently some folks have suspected that Obi-Wan's boots (and probably most other Jedi's boots) are actually leather shoes with some thin leather boot pipes attached to them. As flexible as my boots are, I don't think they would be flexible enough to do the kinds of stunts, martial arts, and acrobatics that we see in the SW movies.

?[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.