main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG SW Costuming Notes

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Darth_Eagle, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    He meant he suspect the actors are not wearing full riding shoes; just normal leather shoes with a thin leather added to it to make it that high. Something like a shoe cover (like Lukedecop wore during our parade), but with it glued/attached permanently to the shoes. They did this to the ROTJ Biker Scouts shoes.

Personally, they could had done that or make the shoes out of thin but good quality leather or the actors wore 2 different boots during the filming; one of thinner leather for the fighting scene while the hard ones during normal walking etc, or had break and soften the shoes way before the time they used it for filming.

2. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    OIC.

I was thinking of doing that too if it cost less, but I have no idea how to attach the 'boot pipes' to the shoes. On second thought, I don't think the difference in cost would be very great. Leather would be needed, as well as the materials needed to attach the 'boot pipes' (sewn on or glued?), and also leather shoes -- relatively 'good' ones, which most probably won't come cheap -- and added to that, if it's done wrongly (which is likely), then have to redo it.

Hmm...thoughts?

3. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Think it's better to sew it on. Then, there is the problem of hunting for the shoes, matching the shoes to the leather and like you say, the cost. Finished Leather cost around $20 per square foot.

Personally, I'll prefer a riding/high cut shoes, 2nd hand but still in good condition the best as that means it had been break. I'll try to go to Tanglin Mall this Sat to see if anyone is offering any riding boots similar to OB1's like last year. Clark Quay may offer some hope but prices may not be low.

Why not ask Shawn if he knows any shops here that sell second hand riding boots?

Here's the other alternative to riding boots:
    Leather Gaiters.

4. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    D'Equestrian might actually have 2nd-hand boots for sale, but you'd have to check with them first... 'cos they don't always have a pair available for sale, and in your size, since the riding community in Singapore is rather small as it is.

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Just the latest news in my hunt for cheap leather and leather goods maker; found a new Leather Goods making shop at Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, the one beside Beauty World Shopping Centre/Plaza.

Leather Arcade
    B1-02, Bukit Timah Shopping Centre,
    170, Upper Bukit Timah Road.

They gave quite good recommandations on how the belt was done and will charge me around $88 for the Anakin Belt with normal 2 1/2" double pins buckle at the back and a thinner leather covering the buckle, and the front Buckle and maybe Rivets I provide myself.

Will try to look for the ones at Bugis tomorrow if I can get myself to go to school to do my Plants this morning. :p

As for the my Jedi Food Pellet, I'm gonna continue painting it this Sunday (the first pellet failed due to insufficient drying between the 1st color coat, sanding and 2nd coat :_| ) and start snapping some how-to-do photos. ;) Can't believe I have to wait 2-3 days for the color layer to dry up completely at the balcony! Will have to get the Krylon 14K Gold Plate Paint and Finisher today too.

6. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    JediClare, check out this picture for some hints on a possible way to make your Jedi Boots comfortable. ;)

[image=http://www.splunkyard.com/cosplay/inprogress/jedi/jedibootsecrets.jpg]

7. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Thanks JediJean and DE :)

Using leather gaiters are an interesting idea...if they could be connected at the bottom to a similarly-coloured pair of leather shoes and the 'seam' concealed by a leather strap around the ankle like on Obi-Wan's boots, they would be a pretty good alternative to riding boots.

[image=http://www.equestrian-connection.com/ewtackservice/Products/TallyHoChaps/Gaiters-200.jpg] [image=http://www.equitux.com/Tallyholtd/Gaiter.JPG]

But there is the problem of hiding the buckles, unless they sell buckle-less ones. I can't tell from the pictures above. The buckles could be on the other side.

I really should find some time to run down to D'Equestrian to see what they have...but at least I have around two-and-a-half years to do it. :p

8. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Maybe there are some that closes using Industrial Strength Velcro or "Dress Zip" (those zip that doesn't have big zipper head).

Ya, take your time JediClare. It took me 2 years to find my White Ankle Length boots for Leia, Padme and possibly Stormtrooper (if I can afford and fit into one in the first place!) so it'll depend on your luck and how far you go looking for them. ;)

9. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Okay, I had painted 7 of my Jedi Food/Energy Pellets with one screwed up (1st piece; painted the layers too fast and too near). Now just need to paint the rest and add the Finisher to all the pieces. Think I can "exhibit" mine in 4 weeks' time; after I get that Krylon Acrylic Glossy Finisher from Spotlight! :(

Just a little tibits, who's interested in seeing Metallic Green Jedi Food Pellets? It's for Veggies. ;)

So far, I'd opted for Metallic Silver (Nippon Paint), Gold (Krylon 18K Gold) and Copper (Krylon Copper Brilliant). Think want to get GunMetal (Dark Silver?) and also do a few in the Metallic Green for some customization. :D

10. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    And metallic light blue for blue milk... ;)

Do you just use the caps and throw the pens away, or do you replace them with other caps and continue to use the pens? For me, I'm trying to (I say trying to because I may run out of patience in a few months :D) use up the ink in the pens, then use the caps.

11. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    And metallic light blue for blue milk

Heehee, actually I did end up with Metallic Blue first cause the hardware shop didn't have the green (Metallic Mulberry) I wanted. Will have to go to one of the big Fix-It Shop or Nippon Main Dealers to get the green one this week.

Gotten a new can of Primer today too but it's spoilt, being the last can of White around. :( Now I got to make another trip to Spotlight, maybe even to the Tampinese Branch on the same day tomorrow after school to change for a new can.

For the pens, I just put them into my desk pen holder. Will use them for all my scribbling while at my desk. Aiyah! Unless I'm selling off the Food Pellets, currently not worth it to just throw them away. ;)

After I'm done with the Food Pellets (or while waiting for the Finisher to arrive), I'm gonna move on to the Comlink since the Shaver had been kept idle on my display bookcase for months now. Now what color scheme and design should I use?

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    YES! YES! My Covertec had arrived by Global Priority (a few days ago I think cause I found it under a pile of papers on the dinner table) as promised so now I can have something extra other than the Jedi Food/Energy Capsules on my belt. Err, make that SOON on my belt cause I haven't made my Jedi Belt yet (maybe next month after I've gotten that metal Anakin Belt Buckle and Rivets this month!). :p

Okay, got 2 to spare for sale at SGD14/US$8 each. Any takers? :D

13. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Cool :D

I might want one, but not sure yet...don't hold any for me. :)

For the rivets, a lot of tutorials I've seen talk about using rivets, and those pics (belts at padawansguide.com) use 'flat' rivets, but in pictures of the movie Jedi, they use rivets that are kind of button studs (Parts of Star Wars - look under the Jedi for a pic). So I'm wondering if you know where to get those button studs. I think I saw some at Spotlight, but I can't remember the name...I'll pop down sometime (after finals :() and check.

btw, could you post some pics of your blue food capsules? I'd like to see how they look like :D

EDIT: Something I keep forgetting to ask...what's the difference between Krylon and Nippon spray paint/finisher?

14. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    JediClare, sorry for the delay in replying but here's a link to the pictures of my Jedi Food Capsules:

Star Wars Props

For the rivets like the actual, you can get them from Leather Arcade (and other leather goods making shop?). At Leather Arcade, it's "Weathered Bronze-Gold" in color. The ones I thought of getting with the Anakin buckle is silver (but of the same size as at Leather Arcade) so I might reconsider and get 2 Anakin Buckles instead.

For the ones at Spotlight, maybe what you saw were the metal press buttons or similar? I got a pack from using on my Blaster Holster (and I might get the black ones used on my Darth Maul belt too so I can remove the 4 belts when required ;) ).

what's the difference between Krylon and Nippon spray paint/finisher?

Krylon is the American Spray Paint and is highly recommanded by most SW prop painter. I'm not sure about its content (water or oil base) but it seems to be better for props that comes in close contact with our clothings, body, hands.

Nippon Pylox's is rubbery-like (water based?) IMHO and if you make a mistake, you can peel if off using your fingernail; I did that for 2 of the capsules who paint got spoiled (post in one of the posts above) or starting to show signs of "running off".

From my experience so far on using both Krylon and Nippon Pylox on the Jedi Food Capsules, I had found out that the Krylon is so much better. After carefully adding on the Krylon Finisher, the paint layer didn't get spoilt like those painted with Nippon Pylox (The Metallic Blue and now Metallic Silver Food Capsules had now failed the test run on the belt badly :_| as the surface "run off" and took the pattern of the skirt/pant I'm wearing.) So I recommand you use Krylon for the Food Capsules and I can spare mine to you if you want. ;)

But Shawn said the Nippon Pylox works well for his Vader Armor and Helmet with the Clear Coat one acting as the Finisher Layer. I should be using Nippon Pylox too for my helmet as I have not much choices due to the "odd" color of my cloak (Fire Red).

15. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    DE - The link doesn't work, I get a message saying that the album doesn't exist. Same problem with your Cosfest photo album in the other thread too. ?[face_plain]

For the ones at Spotlight, maybe what you saw were the metal press buttons or similar?

Do you mean press studs? I don't think so, but I don't know what they were either. Hmmm...

After carefully adding on the Krylon Finisher

Carefully...oh dear. :p

So I recommand you use Krylon for the Food Capsules

Where do you get yours? I only see Nippon Pylox in D.I.Y. stores. Unless those paint shops that sell everything from paint for walls to spray paint sell it? I haven't been in there lately to check.

Can't wait for final exams to be over...

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I gotten my Krylon paints from Spotlight (the craft section) but I got to know another store have them too in better range of colors (and cheaper?). Will check out the link this week.

About applying the Finisher carefully, I meant that you have to give it a short burst of the spray to prevent the finisher from "melting" the paint layers. And the distance between them must be an arm's lenght and more, or the paint layer will get "melted" by the finisher.

Try this new link to see them:
    DE SW Props

About the Rivets, Kai-Rhann replied this to my question on the differences:

"As to the rivet question, I use "rapid rivets" from Tandy Leather for general construction. The "knob" riviets Jedi_Kai referred to are commonly known as "button studs". They are used as a type of button commonly found on black powder acouterments, as well as some types of parade belts for military and so on, and on older gun holsters and gun belts. These are solid brass and require special setting tool and anvil (rivet anvil, not blacksmith anvil). Tandy should have those in stock, as well as the setting tools."

Well, good luck for your exams! Surely you can score again. ;) I too realized I got 1+ more month till my finals and the end of my Final Year Project! :eek:

17. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Thanks! :)

I love your food/energy capsules, so nicely painted! :D

Good luck (or MTFBWY ;)) for your exams and final year project too (even though they're still about a month away -- but time flies). Projects can be a real pain, not to mention exams :p

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    YES! YES! :D

Today I had spent my last $20 on a pair of Dark Grey Weinbrenner Men's Casual Shoes that can be used for Zam Wesell. :D It's not 100% accurate; I prefer to using a pair of mid shin/ankle high boots but getting one with the correct sole (side of it) is just too difficult. Frankly, find a shoe with that sole itself is difficult. :( And the best part is, it only cost $19.95 from the usual $39.95.

Some shot of them can be seen here:

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=90361

Comparing picture is here

In Jan 2003, I just need to get some light purple/lavender suede or leather and sew them onto the top part. The rest, I'm leaving it Dark Grey for a little customization. ;)

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Something interesting posted by Jauhzmynn at the Costuming & Props Forum:

I finally found out from a friend what the markers(Color bands or beads) mean on a braid. She got all of this from various sources. LOTS fo books.:) I do NOT know if it's "Cannon", but it can explain some things of the skills of Obi Wan, Qui Gon and Anakin.

Yellow band----New beginnings as a Padawan. This is applied right after being choosen as a Padawan(before 16 standard years old.)

Beads or other color bands represent the Padawan's area/s of study. Possibly woven along the braid. The yellow band at the top and the Red band at the bottom.

Red band after 16 standard years old means he/she is starting on the road for gaining of wisdom and knowledge.

White-------Healer
    Blue--------Mechanics
    Red---------Pilot
    Green-------Living Force
    Yellow------Lightsaber/and other weapons
    Black-------Jedi version of Covert
    Operations.

Anakin Skywalker had Red and Blue bands. Mencahincs and piloting. BOTH of which he excels at.

Obi Wan as a Padawan had red /yellow bands,(I might be wrong). Those would mean he studied piloting and weapons skills. Both he is good with.

Myown braid will have white, green, and yellow beads. I'll a tie on my yellow and red bands out of embroidry floss when it arrives.

My beads are of Qui Gon's Padawan days, plus it'd look cool. If I don't like how it looks, I can always use the embroidry floss to do the same thing.

Does this make any sense?

Jauhzmynn

20. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    DE ,$14 for covertec clips ,I want,I want.But got the mounting stud?

21. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    Anyone, Wher got sell Obi1 Buckle?

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    It's the full Covertech, with the part that clip onto your belt and the "wheel" that suppose to be drilled onto your lightsabre. ;)

For Obi's buckle, have you check up RPF as that place usually have people selling stuffs. It'll probably be a resin cast though. Or you can go hunting for the shoe or sandle that has that particular buckle or similar. ;) I'm suppose to get the Anakin Buckle from someone but it seems some things has taken a main piority now. :(

23. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    I want to buy .$14 right , Wher to meet? I want to buy!!!! :) :)

24. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    At the next FanForce meeting? Or if there's gonna be a cloth shops outing soon, we can settle it then. ;)

25. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    When is the next meeting or outing? because I really want!!!!!!!!!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.