main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

--SW DMs--

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by DarkTreader, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkTreader

DarkTreader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Would any current SW GM/DM be willing to run a PBeM (Play by e-Mail) game? 'cuz I'd really like to do some SW RPing, but there're no RP groups around where I live (65 miles for RP night at a college is rough on gas)... and I'm sure that there are other people who're in the same category.
    I've played in some PBeM's before and could help with the logistics and all of putting it together, but I'm rather uninformed as to the SW rules and such.

Any takers?

2. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    I can't DM, since I don't have any source books. But I am interested (since there doesn't seem to be any D&D players near me, [I do have D&D source books]) in SW RP-ing. I'd be happy to take part in a PBeM if you don't mind filling me in on the SW specific rules...

3. DarkTreader

Feb 22, 2002
    Went out and got the Core book and the Dark Side companion this evening... hopefully the NJO sourcebook will come in at B&N soon so I can pick that one up too.
    I've been flipping through the rules and... well, if you've played 3rd Edition AD&D, you know how to play SW ;)
    Only difference is the stuff you get to play with. Feats, Classes, Races an all that whatnot...

4. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I just got the NJO Sourcebook and like the concepts. It has inspired me to read the NJO series. I am interested in running a game in this timeline, but my regular group is not interested. ("It has too many bugs; I'm not playing.") So this may be a way I could have that game, however I have never done a PBeM, so I would need specifics on how it is done before I made a final decision on whether or not I would be willing to do it.

5. DarkTreader

Feb 22, 2002
    First, an e-mail group could be set up (through yahell or some other mailing list thing like that) and all of the players subscribed to it.

Next, all of the players decide on characters (using either the rules from the book or house rules that you've found effective - like introducing the Barabels in as a race!).

While everyone gets their characters done up to the proper standards (whether its a Bothan only campaign, what era its in, etc... though I'd guess that it'd be in the NJO), people could talk privately and get to know each other, get comfortable with everyone they'd be playing with... always good to get along with the people who'll be watching your back.

Then the GM puts out the inital post describing where everyone is at their current place and time... basically giving their start like a 'So you're all in a room...', let the characters introduce themselves to each other, do some RPing, then kick the story in :)

Interested?

6. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    You could do it here (well, it would have to be in the RolePlaying Forum, but yeah) at the very least.

7. DarkTreader

Feb 22, 2002
    Well, yeah, I s'pose... but then you'd have to work around all the schmucks who want to get in there and cause trouble, as well as people dropping unrelated topics in.

8. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah, the RP forum would be troublesome. Yahoogroups does not like me; I have established several accounts and it will not let me access them. If we could find somewhere else to do it, I am interested.
    Important question: How do we handle die rolls?

9. DarkTreader

Feb 22, 2002
    Yahoogroups _is_ quite evil... um... Not really sure where else. I'll look around and see what I can come up with...

As for dice rolls... well, either the GM can do them and post the rolls, or we could probably find a program someplace that'd let us do them. Shouldn't be all that difficult to do.

10. damiller

damiller Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2001
    Hey guys

Great place for PBeMing on the web is

www.playbyweb.com

They have dice rollers, a message board like delivery system, and no one not in the group can post.

I currently have a game going in the Sci Fi section called Star Wars: Risus

Check it out, it will give you an idea of the possiblities.

darrel

11. DarkTreader

Feb 22, 2002
    I'm checking that out now... looks like a really good site. If we've got about 4 or 5 people interested (6 players should be pretty good for a starting game, no?), I'd be willing to open up a game and get things working on the technical aspect...

Fingorfin - Mebbe sometime you and I could hook up thru a messenger sometime and talk 'bout the technical stuff of the game. If you're on sometime tonight-ish, PM me and we'll exchange info for AIM or ICQ or MSN or some other evil messenger service =P

12. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I usualy run 4-6 players. I do not want the gorup to get overly large, since I have never done this before. Looking forward to it. I will PM you to discuss specifics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.