main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW EPII quick review on costumes (w/ plot spoilers)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    We just got back from the 7:30pm show @ McClurg. Quincy & I won tickets because we were in costumes.
    The theater was packed! We sat in the 2nd row center.
    The sound and projection were phenominal! Boeing digital.
    All of the action sequences ROCKED.
    Great one-liners. Great battle sequences.

I only have 2 complaints:

1.) CG Yoda doesn't look right because his robes don't look like they are made of "real" cloth.

2.) Padme changes outfits too fast and too often. You hardly get to see what one looks like on her before she's changed again.

(I wonder what all got cut out of the movie.....)

There is also not enough Fett. [face_plain]

But.

It's nice to know that George Lucas and I think alike about certain things--like head-switching. ;)

I want to see it again! NOW!

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    It was good. :) I got in an early showing too.

Most of those points you made are my opinion too. Another problem with Yoda was his lips moved too much. But I suppose they couldn't do his battle scene with him as a puppet.

And you barely saw any of Padme's costumes! Except at the very end when you get the nice close up of the wedding dress... mmmmm... I want that dress!

And 3PO was so funny!

"I feel so confused." "DIE JEDI!...Wait, what am I saying?"

And I really liked the scene with Anakin and Dooku. Very much like the Vader/Luke fight on bespin... hmmmmm...

3. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Just got home from Pleasure Island, Orlando FL WOW what a group tto see this awesome movie with!! The place rocked and so did YODA!! I especially liked the part with Anakin writhing in the sheets!!!! YUMMY!

Dress changes were too quick--a couple missing from the stills I've seen-what a fabulous wedding gown--I can hear my sewing machine calling me right now.

Well, it's my B-day (thanks for the gift George) Nighty Night!!! I'll eat my cake in a few hours!!!

4. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    We had a great time at Gulfpoint 30 in Houston. There were lots and lots of really nice costumes there! We were allowed in about 2 hours early and the crowd was quite entertaining. There was a large lightsaber fight at the front involving neard a dozed Jedi. A guy walked in dressed as Jar Jar to a chorus of boos until a Jedi attacked him and recieved a standing ovation.

C3PO's comedy was a little carried away in my opinion.

Things I loved were Yodas fight with Dokuu and those bombs Jango dropped in the asteroid field...when they went off and that brief moment of silence...wow!

5. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Did you folks notice that Jango and Capt. Typho have the same vest?

6. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Didn't notice the vest-but will take a closer look when I see it again at 7pm (gotta get a better view of that wedding dress!)

Did you notice Padme's dress at the Lar's homestead was more than a little sheer? What, they don't have slips on the outer rim??? Guess you guys didn't mind--what with all that midriff and all.

YODA ROCKS!!!!!

7. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I was thinking all day about which Amidala costume really stood out in my mind as the 'one' costume that will be the signature look of EP II Padme.
    I want to start working on an other one soon for Quincy.

Really, they all had such a breif screen-time, I don't know.

The costume that got the most screen-time is the white battle costume. I already did that one. Second most screen time is the other one I made for Quincy, the refugee/travel costume.
    I love the dark blue/purple one she has on when she first sees Anakin & Obiwan again, but it is seen so briefly.

Trisha Biggar had 2 of the EP II Amidala costumes and the Queen Jamilla costume at her pannel at CII. They were absolutely gorgeous! It is a shame that we can't see more of them on screen.
    One of the pieces she had ther was the robe Padme wears over her nightgown in the morning at the lake retreat when Anakin is troubles by dreams of his mother. That single piece had such intricate work, but you could hardly see it in the movie.
    We bearily saw the Queen Jamilla costume.
    There was so much time and effort put into just Padme's costumes. In a way, I feel robbed.
    There is so much other stuff to see in EP II. I will have to see it at least 10 times.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I agree on that we saw too little of the costumes, especially the blue tatooine one!

I think that the dress most remembered will probably be the rainbow dress, if you think about the scene it was in too.

9. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Well, now that I've seen it a couple of times I can say without question...
    I really really love it.

Costume thoughts:

I didn't mind all the quick costume changes -- after all, it gives us more costumes to see. :)

Queen Jamillia's costume, which I had only been a lukewarm about, having only seen it in still shots, has officially won me over. Somehow when there's movement involved with it (even just a little) it really seems much more impressive than when it's merely photographed.

Not really a costume, but I want a life-size Taun We for my house. I couldn't tell you why, but I LOVED her! Strangely soothing.

I wish I were just a few inches taller, so I could get away with Clone Trooper armor. Alas, a 5'2" trooper would look kinda silly and very un-clone like. :) I'd look like the runt of the litter!

FERDALUMP, I actually kind of liked the sheerness of the blue underdress. [face_blush] But I'm one of those anti-slip people anyway, so I'm definitely biased in that direction. ;)

And, the person now officially at the top of my list of "People who know how to work a cloak" -- Christopher Lee! He manages to look charming, sinister, and superstylish all at the same time.

I'm sure once I get the whirlwind in my brain calmed down a bit, I'll have more (and more coherent) thoughts on the costumes...

gotta see it a couple more time this weekend...

-sg

10. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    I want Padme's nightgown outfit. Because it was cute in a 'I-just-woke-up' sort of way. ;)

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I will try to pay less attention to the costumes the next time I see it.

I know that the costume changes are a theatrical device to allude to the passage of time. If I try to think of it more as a different costume she is wearing everyday, or a glimpse we see of what she is doing every few days...it might make more sence.

To me it also seemed like she was changing outfits every hour..........and the time span of the movie was just 2 or 3 days, instead of several weeks.

12. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    The way time seemed to pass disturbed me. I just couldn't grasp that it WAS over a span of several weeks. Hehee... I was amazed at how fast they became 'involved'.

The costume I'm interested in right now is the one Amidala's decoy was wearing right before she was assasinated... hmmm...

13. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I think one of the coolest looking female Jedi was Shaak Ti. However, that's not a possibility for me to make it. Waaaayyy too hard to make the horns and all.

14. Dayda_Amidala

Dayda_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    [image=http://img.stopklatka.pl/galeria/rysunki/00000/00030/g-30.jpg]

What happened to this outifit? I really liked it when I first saw it. But it was never in the movie! :_|
    I hope it will be on the DVD

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Dayda, I believe that is what Padme wore at her parent's house on Naboo. The scene was cut. We might get to see it as a deleted scene on the dvd. *crosses fingers*

16. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I got the novellization today. I am going to read what was missing from the movie.

17. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    We saw it again today.

It's official. I like the Clones.

18. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    FERDALUMP, what showing did you go to at PI?

19. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I was at the 12:01am Wed/Thurs at Pleasure Island (the line around Bongos). I was one of the many with the Leia buns :) Are you a neighbor??

I've seen the movie twice so far (going again Tues) wish I could pause the wedding scene--can't see that dress long enough!!!! Loved the "romance" parts--but really don't get to see the dresses long enough-what a shame--so much detail not scene at all.

A question: The "dark" gown that I've seen on the Padawan's guide site with the goldish split skirt in the front with all the heavy black lace up the neck--was that dress totally cut or was that what dress the decoy wore at the beginning??

20. Jedi_Seamstress

Jedi_Seamstress Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    My husband and I attended the 12:01 showing - WOW!

Again, too many lovely outfits and not enough time! The one I loved most was that flowery little number with the dropped shoulders and the sti looking corset in the matching fabric. The one she wore in the field when everyone in the theater started singing "The hills are alive"!

Any thoughts as to how to make that one? The dress part doesn't seem too difficult - I'm used to making medieval outfits and other costumes. I'm just wondering how to make that corset (my husband loved all of the different ones she wore!) so that it looks right. Any suggestions?

21. LovelyLotus

LovelyLotus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Soooo visual, soooo fast...brain spinning. Need to see it again.

I loved some of Padme's costumes, and don't hit me for this referance, but heck some of them screamed Britney Spears. I know she was supose to look young and beautiful, and fresh, but dang, enough skin already!

Loved her Purple Elizabethian costume. Beautiful! I'm collecting pictures to create this one! Got pictures at C2, the poor people in the exhibit room probably wanted to hit me. I love the yellow gold flower lacy thing. Loved the pinic dress. And the multi coloured kiss dress. Gah! Loved the wedding dress. Beautiful! The drawing in the Paper doll book looks as if it has a Lotus pattern. Very neat since she's Padme!

I guess it caugh me off guard after all her old costumes were very regal and offical. They made her look so formal. I got used to that, so when I saw this it was a shock at her costumes. I love them, but it's gonna take some getting used to.

Agreed, so many costumes, to quick of scene cuts!

I love the clones! I loved Yoda CG or not! He kick butt! DUDE!

Movie..wonderful...I think I need to see it 4 or five more times to say much more.

22. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I am 'used' to the new Yoda now. He does kick butt.

23. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Jedi_Seamstress - there's a great thead going about Padme's gold floral outfit--it's got great tips from several people who made this outfit already. I, too have made it and it is really beautiful--trick is finding the perfect fabric! Good Luck!!!

Can anyone help me out?? I have the paperdolls-and have scowered several websites, have seen the movie with sketch pad in hand--but still can't tell for sure--THE WEDDING DRESS--it appears to me that the fitted sleeves that go the the wrist and the dress are one piece. And the above the elbow fuller sleeves and ??? the train are part of an overcoat/jacket. Also I feel the dress is IVORY not WHITE.

ANY FEEDBACK on my observations????

24. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    The wedding dress is definitely several different shades of ivory.

I want to run the (digital) projecter and stop that scene too!

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I would love a photo of the wedding dress, it's gourgeous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.