main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Figure Playsets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Feb 16, 2015.

1. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Received ROTJ Ewok Village with cage, net and a rough box and also TPM Theed Generator Complex complete with battle droid. Both have made my sets look much improved.

2. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Received a few more POTF2 sets. The Detention block, which is pretty neat with sliding door and escape hatch (that I have leading into my vintage Death Star trash compactor) and The Death Star Escape with swinging rope and bridge. Overall they fit my figures well as I like to use non POTF2 figures because they are not so bulky. I ended up putting the Final Jedi Duel on top of the Death Star Escape with Palpatine watching as Luke and Vader do battle and Imperial Guards guarding the door.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Had a great pick up on the Sears Cantina playset with Greedo, Walrus Man, Hammerhead, and Red Snaggletooth all with weapons last month and original
    owner said "I hope you take care of it because it meant so much to me". I reassured him what kind of collector I was and that this fantastic playset would be in
    good hands.
    I passed on a POTJ Carbon Freezing Chamber playset I saw at a collector show for $40 and really kicking myself now for it. It was sealed and in great condition
    but dealer would not go down even a few bucks plus I really want one loose so I can display. I'm sure I'll find another chance soon.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Awesome find w/ the Cantina set. If I ever A) get the rest of my stuff out of storage B) ever get more shelves to display stuff, I might get around to picking up more playsets. As it is at the moment I don't have display room.

I saw this on FB today - talk about an AMAZING custom job, goes to show you that looking at a toy w/ fresh eyes and applying some creativity can make for remarkable changes. This guy ( he posted in the FB Vintage Star Wars Community) took a GI Joe Mobile Command Center....

[​IMG]

and turned it into a "Scout Class Sandcrawler"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great finds, everyone! And, PadmeLeiaJaina, Thanks for the pics. of that EU Sandcrawler - very impressive! The before & after pic. just shows that a lot of work was put into making this. And, after seeing the Sandcrawler pics., if I didn't know better I would think this toy was produced by Hasbro! Heck - I take that back - it looks too good to have been produced by Hasbro!

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah it's really impressive. I wish that I'd seen these pics sooner, I saw a big white snowy mountain action figure playset thing at a thrift store this weekend that I thought looked interesting but it didn't occur to me "hey ding dong you can turn that into a killer Hoth playset." Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and see if it's still there and pick it up.

I come across various playsets (DC/Marvel,) GI Joe vehicles, and other stuff at thrift shops all of the time. I'm usually so focused on finding stuff to sell or looking for just actual SW stuff that I don't stop to really look at something and try to see it as something else. I almost picked up a TMNT vehicle just because it was weird looking but it seemed like it was missing propellers or something so I passed.

This was an eye opener for me though - I'm definitely going to look at those playsets w/ fresh eyes from now on.

BTW - I really would love to get the giant Queen Amidala Naboo ship, I saw pics that someone had of it all opened up and the display areas are awesome.

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I spent last night perusing "action figure playsets" on ebay. The big top 3 seem to be Star Wars, TMNT, and Hee-Man. Somehow I didn't realize that you can pick up the smaller vintage playsets that are in complete/ near complete condition for not a lot of money. I definitely want to get the droid factory because it'll go w/ my junk yard display. I noticed that the Jabba's torture chamber was a reuse of that set.

I was happy to see that my Mustafar playset is going for good money.

There are a bunch of the smaller sets that I wouldn't mind having - I like the 2 Theed hanger displays, the Endor bunker, and even though it's not 3 3/4" scale - I saw this for the first time and would love it for displaying w/ my Amidala figures:

[​IMG]

I scored an Indiana Jones KOTCS playset dirt cheap.

Darthmaul208 and whostheBossk like this.
  8. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Yes the vintage sets may not all be complete, but so easily affordable and fun to complete later on.

PadmeLeiaJane said "There are a bunch of the smaller sets that I wouldn't mind having - I like the 2 Theed hanger displays, the Endor bunker, and even though it's not 3 3/4" scale - I saw this for the first time and would love it for displaying w/ my Amidala figures"

I like the Theed Hanger as I have the other Theed playset with the platform and have Obi Wan, Qui Gon vs. Darth Maul. That Endor Bunker is so cool and very pricey. I really like the Carbon Freezing Chamber but as stated above, I passed on it and it is so tough to find under $40.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I haven't managed to put it together yet but I got my Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Mayan ruins playset. I haven't put it fully together yet but I got it cheap along w/ 5 different Indy figures. I don't mind the film - happy to get my first playset for that toy line.

Bwhahaha - I just bought on ebay a loose lot of tons of assorted POTF era stuff and got the Endor bunker in it! Lots of other things in it also. Anyone want to help me to Id some of this stuff? I know what the Han/Luke things are, I know the swinging Death Star playset, and the 4 connecting platform things were from ROTS. There are 2 Vader chamber things, 2 Vader rising tables. I was going to ask what the brownish thing in the back next to the bunker was but it might be the chamber for the carbonite Han?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whostheBossk and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Hey Padme, just saw this thread. I can help you to I.D. that playset:

-The small playset with the brown platform & w/the large black laser guns is the "Detention Block Rescue" playset, which came out in Fall 1996 (POTF2 line). Here's a link with more info:

http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2detentionblockrescue.asp

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Oh cool! Thanks Blur everything came to me all disassembled. I felt very proud of myself that I put the Endor bunker together w/o knowing what pieces went where. It's missing one piece though :( The thing to the left of the bunker is a clone maker thingy.

12. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    I also see the Escape the Death Star swinging platform, also from 1996. I just got those recently. Waiting on Endor Bunker for a good deal. I need to upload pics of my Geonosis Arena playset. Also to note, on way is POTJ Carbon Freezing Chamber set i've been after!

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Can't wait to see the Geonosis playset - that Carbon Freezing chamber looks cool.

I just saw this posted on Yakface's feed - I think someone earlier suggested that modular playsets would be great if Hasbro would produce them. This is a great example on how it can be done:

[​IMG]

14. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    That's the coolest thing I've ever seen, nice! I may just build one someday. Got the Bespin carbon freezing playset. Looks great, now re-arranging room to showcase as much as possible. Will get around to sending some pics.

15. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Great pics. of the modular DS playset - Thanks for the post. I wish something like those would come out commercially, but I'm sure if Hasbro thought they would make $ off of something like this, it would have happened by now.

IMHO the heyday of action figure playsets were the '80's, i.e. Kenner Star Wars, G.I. Joe: ARAH, Masters of the Universe, etc.

16. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Endor Bunker playset arrived Saturday. Christmas in July lol. I usually like the playsets to be open, this is sealed so i will have to give in someday so i can display it.

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Eh it might be a pricier newer item but it's not vintage. Do it...do it...debox.....

<<evil laughing from fellow deboxer.

I like my little Endor bunker - even if it is missing one inside side panel (which you don't see w/ how I've angled it on the shelf)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skellybobs and whostheBossk like this.
  18. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Nice set up! You are quite the deboxer lady! Lol. I like how the bunker gives it that ROTJ feel. Also like that last 17 Lando, he must be on Endor after the battle in his ceremonial fatigue with cape (mine needs the cape!). Ok now im motivated to get my pics uploaded.

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I don't have shelf space/room for Lando/Nein Numb etc to be off by themselves. My other Endor shelf was WAY over crowded when I tried putting the smaller figures up along it so I just moved them over to the ewok invasion shelf.

My last 17 General Lando - one of about 10 of those figures that I begged my mom to pick up for me because they were on clearance for $1 each. I've only had to pick up a few of those and am down to only needing Stormtrooper Luke and Yak Face to complete my vintage figures collection...excluding some variants.

20. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    That is excellent PadmeLeiaJaina. I wish i had enough sense in '85 to get my mom to pick up the entire POTF line. Plus a few extra to open and sell....now im day dreaming ...I am happy i kept the few figures (13) from my childhood plus all the buying i've been lucky enough to do on Ebay. I only need POTF R2 & Yak Face plus some accessories (ie. Lando cape) for completion.

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    So I'd seen that these were coming out and someone over at Jedi Temple Archives picked one up and repurposed this new cardboard Death Star toy - check it out for only $14.99! It looks like that Vintage European cardboard Death Star cut out toy that's impossible to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dun da dun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Considering there are even drawn stormtroopers in some of the scenes, Hasbro obviously drew inspiration from the Palitoy Death Star Playset:

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Nice find! I will be getting that. Did you just get it and where? And nice set up as well. Love the way it looks.

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  25. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Wow - that new DS playset is extremely cool! Yes, I remember the old UK Palitoy?! DS cardboard playset - it looked almost identical to this one. Being in the U.S., I never had that one.

I wonder if this new cardboard DS playset will ever be released in the U.S.?!