main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Galaxies and the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    So. We've got this huge online game going, with two expansions so far and another rumored to be in the works. And yet we have heard little about it in EU sources. I once heard that it was in an AU EU ( ;) ), but what if it is canon? What information can be gleaned from it and what can we learn about the old characters long gone?

I would like tomake this a thread where we could compile the EU tidbits from Galaxies, including the NPCs, important missions, and just plain info. Just like KotOR, Galaxies is chalk full of EU nods and references and it would be a shame to ignore them.

So lets compile some EU goodies. And retcons are good too. :)

I've heard a lot about NPCs in this game, so they would be a good place to start. The big ones (Vader, Luke, Leia, Han, etc.) are in there, but so are the minor ones. Reelo (originally from Jedi Outcast) works for Jabba the Hutt in this game. Thrawn can be found on Naboo at Palpy's estate. Talon Karrde, Nym, and Corran Horn can also be seen in the game. And then there are the continuity oddities: the Grievious-like cyborg (who I would retcon as being the result of Teh General's experiments in the GG comic series.) I've also heard rumors that Durge is there somewhere... [face_thinking]

2. Anacondabug

Anacondabug Jedi Master

May 20, 2005
    What sucks about SWG is that there are tons of jedi running all over the place now hehe. Myself included. :)

3. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Well, I'll get this in before the mods lock it. They'll say this belongs at the game board, which it kinda does.

I have a thread about this on the game board, I'll get a link in a minute. Read through that and then just re-post this in my thread, and it'll be discussed, cause I'd like to know the same thing you're asking.

http://boards.theforce.net/Games:_Board_and_Videogames/b10005/20929590/?30

there's the link. You may have to copy and paste:p

EDIT: Woooo! Link worked!

4. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    My reasoning is that all of the game content outside of the players themselves is C-canon (with game mechanics being N-canon as usual). I had the same thought about N-K "Necrosis".

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The game storylines are part of continuity- we had a thread a couple years ago, I'll try to find it later.

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    So we can reason that the storyline of some random schmuck getting captured by the Empire on fraudulent charges of smuggling, fighting a terrorist threatening to blow the orbital inspection station up, then getting dumped in Mos Eisley is canon, although for the purposes of the continuity it only happened once (as if only one actual person followed the "storyline" of the game).

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's somewhat shaky in terms of the actual accomplishment and end result of the game events, but the initial setups and stuff are definitely part of continuity.

8. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004
    I'm hesitant to take any sort of EU refrences from SWG as cannon because of the simple fact that SWG treads over everything sacred to the Star Wars story.(Jedi running around EVERYWHERE anyone?)

But Padme's niece is in it on Naboo(Pooja Naberie), and she was a senator before it was disolved. Now she has connections to the Rebel Alliance.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, again, player characters such as all those Jedi and their actions would not be part of continuity. Just NPC's.

10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    if its in continuity then i'm a hutt.

I didn't realise to be a Jedi it required so much killing of innocent creatures.

It's BS, but i like some of the new starships from jump to lightspeed, the dunelizard's great.

11. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I think it works best in continuity if we use it as a sorta "Tales" sounding board - the ideas in there might not be STRICTLY canon, and I don't think LFL should go ABSOLUTLEY out of the way to avoid contradictions in newer works, but if an author goes and pulls something out of it, that's cool. No reason why equipment/ships/the like from the game can't be canon, tho, much like in Battlefront. But, y'know, guys standing round spaceports shouting what they're selling, that's not canon. Nor is there a Corellian town named Osgiliath.

12. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Well, its a video game, so we can use the game specific copout: "gameplay aspects." The Jedi, cloning centers, and things that contradict continuity are all parts of the game rather than the Star Wars universe, so we can ignore them. Player characters and groups are out of continuity since they too would be gameplay aspects. Banning that type of continuity, a Tales approach as Tam suggested would be good: non-canon with elements of continuity.

But things like ships, NPCs, items, cities, etc. should all be considered canon, IMHO. The space sector designs may be canon too. Quests are something I would use the RPG form of continuity where they only happened once.

>>> Well, I'll get this in before the mods lock it. They'll say this belongs at the game board, which it kinda does. <<<

Kinda. But since it deals with the EU elements of the game, the Lit forum is more appropriate. :)

13. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    Oh, thread wasn't locked, congrats, hehe.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but it takes place between ANH and ESB? Does that change the longer you play?

14. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes, I believe that its between ANH and ESB. I don't think the time changes the longer you play---that would probably be too hard to program and isn't really the purpose of the game.

There is a Galaxies novel (Ruins of Dantooine) that tries to set up the game in the EU, but from what I've heard it isn't all that great, just a meet-and-greet with the major characters and fighting some animals.

15. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    Yeah, I read the book awhile ago.

16. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"Oh, thread wasn't locked, congrats, hehe."<<

We'll discuss anything here, as long as it's about the EU. This sorta thread really doesn't belong in Games. Case in point - someone once cross posted a threat about "What species is Desann" to here and to Games. Here, they got a nice "Chistori" answer, straight off the bat. I think the one in Games degenerated into something about Barney the Dinosaur (and no mention of Chistori, either).

17. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    Oh, ok, I just needed that cleared up. It seemed a Game subject, and while I don't care where it is, some mods may have.

18. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
  19. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Yeah, player actions aren't canon. However, Naboo has a moon called Rori with two cities called Narmle and Restuss on it, light lightning cannons were among the exotic weapons to be found in some bounty hunters' arsenals, the result of one of Grievous's morbid experiments is N-K "Necrosis" who is hidden on Kashyyyk, Hutt fighters include the "Scyk", the "Dunelizard", and the "Kimogila"...

But the actions of players - player cities, player Jedi, etc - and game mechanics - how to become Jedi, how much damage weapons deal, etc - are N-canon.

20. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Thanks, jawajames! :)

Notable stuff from thread:
    There's the canon policy, as was stated when it first came out.

[Thread Extra:] Some stuff about the name Pooja... [face_laugh]

Here's jawajames' list of NPCs on Naboo.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The reason I didn't lock this is because it's discussing story elements of the games, which belong sin Lit. Gameplay discussion belongs in Games.

That being said, since the older thread was dug up, I am gonna lock this thread now and direct everyone over to that thread ::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.