SW Galaxies: Like Golf?

Discussion in 'Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    So far, Galaxies is reminding me of an old (I think it was Rosie O'Donnell?) joke about golfing. The comment was, to whit: "Golf is just men in ugly pants...walking."

Yep. So far, I've not been too impressed. I've made it off Tansarii Station to Tatooine and have been running some quests, most of which involve pest control (no, I'm not kidding, and no, it's not a metaphor...I mean pest control). I've seen kids who are clearly approximately 12 years old (in mental age, if not chronological) running around, waving lightsabers and leaving chat comments in the l33t "OMG SUXXORS!" category while dueling each other. This has not inspired me to talk to anybody, although I know I need to eventually to do anything in a group. I've talked to NPCs with less personality than a toaster oven. Way less personality.

And...that's about it.

Highlights so far:

1. Designing my character. This was great. I spent hours playing with all the adjustment sliders for jawline, face, eyes, freckles. Loved it. Of course, the day after I did this, SWG did a big change to humans and a few other races, which rendered my carefully constructed character into something resembling a goth-boy. *sigh*

2. Getting a Talk from a certain somebody on these boards while I was stuck on Tansarii. That was a thrill, even though we couldn't really interact, nor were we IC, since we hadn't "met" yet.

3. Plopping my pixelated rear-end atop a hill overlooking Mos Eisley at sunset. Ok, the changing weather is pretty. I really like that feature of Galaxies and wish the KOTOR games had it. Not to mention the scudding clouds. That's swell.

So...my favs are my character design, which no longer is what I want it to be, a PM from someone that lasted 3 minutes, and a bit of weather.

Help!

- Kai
  2. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hee hee hee..kinda makes me wish I could try it out...without actually buying it of course.

I think the comment about your pixelated rear end is going to keep me giggling all day. Thank you Kai! [face_laugh]
  3. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    You're welcome!

Yeah, it's pretty. I'm just having a bit of existential RP "Is this all there is?" about it. While single player games supposedly aren't are "rich" as multi-player ones...the thing they DO have going for them is there IS a plot. You're not just sort of wandering around, doing odd jobs.

And really, for a game that espouses the "Star Wars experience", I gotta say that being employed by the local pest control just doesn't have that "flair"...ya know?

I realize that low-level quests aren't going to be epic, necessarily. But setting the equiv. of roach motels???????????

- Kai
  4. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, you can DL a 10 day (or two week, can't remember) trial from the site. If I'd known that, I'd not have spent $20 before trying it out first. So...you can!
  5. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    I double-posted, so this is my edit to the second post, since I can't seem to delete it. I need something else to say. Er...oh!

Disclaimer: In spite of my complaints, it's entirely possible that SWG is a great game and its greatness has not yet revealed itself to me.

So there.

:)
  6. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Golf is just a bad way to ruin a good walk. :p
  7. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    Best Golf rant IMHO, Robin Williams Live, none of which can be posted here in any form that would make sense (he uses a 'few' "bad words"). You'll have to rent the DVD.

8. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Tatooine Update:

There was a sandstorm. That was kinda cool. Gritty, but cool.

Aside from that, not a lot going on.

Which, I suppose, is fairly appropriate for Tatooine. This is why power converter pick-ups at Tocche Station are so appealing. Nothing.Going.On.

But the sandstorm was kinda cool.

And I did find a random lightsaber supply shop between Mos Eisley and Mos Espaa. Why? Because I had nothing better to do that RUN the entire distance from town to town, dodging random levitating rabid Banthas.

At least, I think they were rabid. Maybe they were feral. One of them was definitely levitating though. He was floating at least 8 feet above his buddies on a steep mountain slope and looking at me with beady little eyes. I didn't know they could do that. Levitate, I mean. Seeing a giant, billowy, hairy levitating Bantha was...disconcerting.

Also disconcerting - a random lightsaber supply shop in the middle of Bantha-poodoo nowhere, Tatooine. I mean, c'mon. What are the odds? Who are the clientele? Wasn't there some purge or something, about 20 years back? Weren't those Jedi guys all proved to be...scientologists or something? I remember being a kid and seeing a holo of this one famous Jedi getting all upset on a talk-show and jumping on top of a couch and waving his arms and stuff. And then the Emperor ordered them all killed for the public good.

So...lightsaber supply shop? What DO they put into the water, here? Is it a byproduct from the vaporator-lining? Sheesh.

Kai, DBA Enki...out
  9. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, still mourning the absence of RPers in Galaxies. However, had some fun a few days ago on a "road trip" via a shared landspeeder across the Jundland Wastes and the Dune Sea on Tatooine. Mostly, it was fun because of the speech bubbles. Remember, I'm a newbie to these sorts of games, so I am easily amused. But anyway, my character ended up hopping aboard another PC's landspeeder on a whim, and off we went to look at Krayt Dragons.

On the way, my POV showed the speeder humming along past endless escarpments and sand dunes...it looked like a road trip through a Nevada on steroids. So, I began typing commentary, resulting in little comic-book speech bubbles popping up over the traveling landspeeder:

"Are we there yet?"
    "Are we there yet?"
    "Are we there yet?"

This, I found insanely amusing. For a while, the other player didn't respond to these scintillating witticisms. For one thing he (or she, but the avatar is male--of course, so is mine), had to actually drive. But when I sallied forth with:

"I gotta pee."

Another speech bubble, his, popped up:

"Hold it!"

"Fine."

We drove for a while later, and then he pulled the landspeeder over at a ghost town: "If you've gotta go, do it here."

"I don't have to anymore."

So, we continued on, reaching a point in the Wastes where the Krayt Dragons roamed. Ok, Krayt Dragons are HUGE and they're actually pretty impressive. Very cool design. They're also insta-lethal. And aggressive. Before we knew it, we were being charged by Komodo Dragons the size of small apartment blocks.

"Ok, NOW I have to pee!"

We turned the speeder and gunned it, but the Krayts were catching up. "Faster would be better! Faster would be better!" Moments after typing this, my character is thrown from the speeder, WHUMP, unconscious on the sand. As soon as he recovers, WHUMP, he is pasted by a Krayt and wakes up back in the cloning facility at Bestine. Moments later, my buddy shows up as well, having also been thoroughly killed.

"Oh yeah. Let's go see the Krayt Dragons, he says." I type. "Oh, THAT'll be fun. Let's go see the Dragons! Yeah, great idea! Really good!"

We both start cracking up.

Ok, so it wasn't 5 star roleplaying, but it was funny. On our way back to try again, I started a game of "I Spy" after passing some patrolling sandtroopers ("I spy with my little eye...something white!"), then began singing "99 Bottles of Tarisian Ale on the Wall"...at which point I was threatened with eviction from the speeder.

Sheesh. Some people have no sense of humor.
  10. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Argh! I totally double-posted and just caught that I did 4 minutes before my editing time was up! And now I don't have anything interesting to say...I just replaced my double-post with this text instead. Wow.

Um...

So.

Yeah.

- Kai, embarassed
  11. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    heheheheh...sounds like good RPing to me!
    Forget the battles and intricate plots. Let's just go roam the desert in a speeder looking for fun things to do!

Kudos to Kai for keeping me amused at work ;)
  12. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    For me, RPing is actually having a character who speaks IN character (this could have been, as my character is shaping up to be a bit of a smarty-pants) and who has an internal objective AS a character, whatever that may be, that drives their own personal plotline and interactions with other characters.

This was just vaguely in-character twiddling. But amusing.
  13. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I found I did my best RPing and found out just WHO my character was when she wasn't doing much of anything related to plot line. What she did sitting in a bar watching other patrons really started to define her personality. Of course this was many years ago in a galaxy far far away called Prodigy. ;)
  14. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    But again, if there is nobody (or very few people) to play OFF of who will respond in kind, it's hard to define a personality. But I agree in principle.
  15. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    True enough. Does that mean you have to go play outside during those times...out into the REAL world? :eek:
  16. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Believe me, I have enough character in real life. ;) It's my PC I worry about.
  17. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    ROFLMFJAO!!! It's sorta like...riding along on your swoop and then your suddenly on your back..."Ohhhh so THAT's what an upclose view of the dragon looks like" which immediately goes into ....

"Wow, they changed the wallpaper on the cloning center!" [face_laugh]
  18. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey! There wasn't any wallpaper in Bestine! What a gyp! ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.