main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW in 1959--a Humoroid

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthWrytard, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWrytard

DarthWrytard Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2002
    I call this a humoroid because it's only remotely humorous. I'm putting this in SW Community because it definetly doesn't fit elsewhere.

What if SW Had been released in the summer of 1959, and YOU were responsible for casting? I asked myself this question, and here are the profane results.

Padme: Debby Reynolds--runners-up include Vivian Leigh and Jeanne Crain.

Anakin, ep 1: Tommy Kirk (no runners-up.)

Anakin, ep 2, 3: James Dean (no runners-up.)

Anakin, ep 4, 5, 6: Vincent Price (no runners-up.)

C3PO: Bing Crosby--candidates included Sir Alec Guinness, Groucho Marx, and the guy who plays the Tin Man on Wizard of Oz.

R2D2: Bob Hope. (I thought of Lassy, but "Road to Jawatopia" has too much spin-off appeal.

Darth Maul: Yule Brinner. Absolutely no competition.

Palpatine: Claude Raines. Also no contest.

Qui Gon Jinn: Gregory Peck. Maybe Charlton Heston.

Mace Windu: Victor Matur

Leia: Audrey Hepburn, with serious consideration to Lauren Bacall, Rita Hayworth, and Barbara Stanwick.

Han Solo: Humphrey Bogart, all the way.

Chewbacca: Boris Karloff. Easily.

Lando Calrisian: Kirk Douglas, with a tip-o-the-hat to Erol Flinn.

Salacious Crumb: Peter Lore...Horrifying.

Jabba the Hutt: Sydney Greenstreet died before production began, so we settled for Edward Arnold, who also died during filming.

Mon Mothma: Kathrine Hepburn...a female authority figure if ever there was one.

Wicket: Mickey Rooney, with the Lolly Pop Guild playing the rest of the Ewoks.

Luke: Cary Grant, Charlton Heston, and John Wayne will be locked in a dark room with knives. Whoever emerges alive will play Luke.

Obi, ep 1, 2, 3: Laurence Olivier...sorry, Richard Harris.

Obi, ep 4, 5, 6: Sir Alec Guinness. In spite of the fact that he was only 45 in 1959, he was versatile enough to pull it off with some stage make up.

2. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    cool idea,

I like most of your choices except Han because Bogart was dead in 1959. I agree a young Bogart would've been a cool Han Solo. My pick would be Paul Newman.

I like Debbie Reynolds as Princess Leia's mom.

Steve McQueen would be my Luke Skywalker.

3. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    McQueen as Solo, and Newman as Skywalker, maybe Jack Lemmon as Luke, actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.