main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto SW in TO?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Jedi_Sheridan, Mar 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Sheridan

Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    Ok there is obviously a large enough fan base but for some reason Toronto never seems to me to get any of the big events(minus the EP1 sneak preveiw). I could just be missing something here but we never get a convetnion or any of the stuff the Us gets...This could be that I am just bitter this morning but I think that we need some sort of convetntion or something...I will start a petition here for anyone that wants to have some big event come to TO...any followers?

2. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'd like the 'Magic and Myth' exhibit come to T.O, its been making its rounds everywhere else.

3. Ryallt

Ryallt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2001
    Simple reasons we don't get big SW events in T.O.:

1) We're in Canada, and the American view of the universe tends to stop at the Great Lakes =)

2) With the exchange rate the way it is, the income they'd make off a T.O. event woudn't be enough to warrent setting up the exhibit here, when they could make twice as much setting it up in, say, Washington and get American dollars PLUS the hardcore Canadian fans coming down anyway. It's a sad fact that LFL's entire motivation these days is financial.

I'd happily sign a petition though... just to make the point that Canadian SW fans contribute a great deal to the take-home pay of ILM and Hasbro executives as well ;)

My my... I DID wake up cynical this morning didn't I? Must be because we're shooting the live action for Legacy tomorrow and I've got my "total abject doom" hat on that all directors wear *laughs*

Kev

4. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Also, you forget America a population of roughly 300 million.
    Canada has 30 million. They have the population to support a fan base large enough for these conventionss. We simply don't. We are too spread out. :(

5. Jedi_Sheridan

Feb 7, 2001
    Ok perhaps i jumped the gun...I do feel though that we are overlooked because we are canucks and seem to be second or third class people to our neighbours to the south...I just wanted to get some enthusiasm going and perhpas have something cspecial happen for the TO fans...

NEW SUGGESTION: perhaps an all canadian event with just canadian vendors and such...we can even celebrate the Casting of felow canuck Christiansen and other cast members (Though i don't know of any my self...)

Comments???

6. Jedi_Sheridan

Feb 7, 2001
    One question for all...
    Are there any events known of coming up for the GTA...
    Are u guys getting 2getherfor EP2?
    If so tell me...i want to join up if possbile

7. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    We'll be getting together for:

Toronto Trek Convention near the end of July (??)
    Cinefex Anime/Scifi con near the end of August.

Episode II, there will be a line. We begun discussions on some things about the line up, but I doubt things will truly kick into high gear until at least until January/ February 2002, if the organization of the first line up is any indication, which worked quite well.

Plus there will be movie nights, usually on a Friday or Saturday,

Pearl Harbour, Shrek, Planet of the Apes, etc...

just watch the boards...
    and if anyone can fill in more details about the cons and others, feel free.

8. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Hi,
    We are also Planing a charity event surrounding the release of Episode II in St. Catharines. Come check out the home page.

9. THEREALSHMII

Nov 29, 2000
    Aha! A lurker!
    There is an anniversary line planned by our line mate Nina, though it has not been "officially" announced yet. She lives in the beaches across from Coxwell station.

Toronto Trek is July 20-22 this year and will be held at the Regal Constellation near the airport 900 dixon Rd.) for info on who the guest star are please visit their website.

http://tcon.icomm.ca

And in case anyone hasn't heard Canada did win the bid, not for the Olympics but something much more important, the bid to hold World Con, the world's largest Science fiction Convention for 2003. Which will be held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

http://www.torcon3.on.ca
    It's about time we toot our Canadian horn.

10. SLam

SLam Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 1999
    Don't forget SFX2001 (Aug 24-26):
    http://www.hobbystar.com/sfx/sfxmain.html

Have you seen the web pages on the past "WorldCon" cons? The Con doesn't look all that impressive.

11. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    I think part of the reason we don't get these kind of events is the attitude that we aren't good enough to host them.

I think if the World Scifi con is here, biggest city in Canada, potential hosts to the olympics, I think we should at least get Magic and Myth (amongst other events.)

I will ask in the 'Ask the Jedi Council' when can we expect 'Magic and Myth in T.O', at least they'll know we want it.

Do we? has anyone ever been? its seemed really cool to me.

12. EchoBase

EchoBase Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2000
    It would be nice to get some attention up here.

13. Jedi_Sheridan

Feb 7, 2001
    I say we dump the damned olympics and put our efforts in hosting a SW event...afterall, it is a proven fact that every city that hosts the olympics just end up losing money...

Long Live TO!

14. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    goverments will lose your money anyhow, so why not waste it on something the world can enjoy

"alright, abortions for some and mini-american flags for others"

15. THEREALSHMII

Nov 29, 2000
    Luckily, I don't think Canada is going to get the Olympic's. it's just a Mel Lastman pipe dream.
    As for world con not being impressive, it will be twice to three times the size of Toronto Trek. If the only science fiction you enjoy is Star Wars, you might be disappointed however, if you enjoy various shows, gaming and reading, you will enjoy it a lot more. It has a far wider fan base.

16. THEREALSHMII

Nov 29, 2000
    Luckily, I don't think Canada is going to get the Olympic's. it's just a Mel Lastman pipe dream.
    As for world con not being impressive, it will be twice to three times the size of Toronto Trek. If the only science fiction you enjoy is Star Wars, you might be disappointed however, if you enjoy various shows, gaming and reading, you will enjoy it a lot more. It has a far wider fan base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.