main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Infinities #3 (Spoilers!!!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Pipes, Sep 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I didn't notice the part about the Justice Star until I reread it. I guess the name Death Star isn't good for public relations. ;)

This story has been a lot of fun. I hope it ends distinctly different from ANH or the original trilogy.

2. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Dude, do I feel silly. I read Justice Star and didn't connect it. :p

I really liked this issue, though the five year bit did shock me. And Leia... the poor gal's been brainwashed. How she could serve the very people who destroyed her planet. :( I really hope that Luke is able to save her... I don't want to see her become Queen of the Empire! I'm more worried about that than about whether Han and Leia end up together (though I hope they do [face_love]). The bibical quote "What does it profit a man to gain the world, and lose his soul," comes to mind when I think about Leia in this issue. While she may have gained an exaulted place in the Empire, it came at the expense of brainwashing and losing her sense of who she is. :(

I loved the interaction between Han and Yoda. Especially when Yoda says Han should pay for his meal [face_laugh] Not to mention the fact I can't *wait* to see Yoda back on Coruscant.

Do we *really* have to wait another month till issue #4? :D

~*~Bria

P.S. I didn't find Tales #9 either... :(

3. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    I think it's kind of dumb how five years later Han still cares about Leia, after they only have been together for what, the Death Star Escape? The Imperial Parade was great, though, and Nazi Leia, and the Justice Star.

But the art still sucks. What's up with the four-eyed Aqualish?

4. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Tales #9 was delayed. I guess Darkhorse didn't want to release three SW comics in the same week.

5. Bria

May 15, 1999
    But wasn't Tales #9 supposed to come out *last* week? :mad:

Anyway... While I liked the issue, I didn't care for the Nazi salute. The Empire is based on Hitler's Third Reich, I know, but that jesture has such negitive connatations for me, I wish they wouldn't have included it.

~*~Bria

6. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    I liked this issue quite a bit. Others here have summed up some of the things I like best about it, so I won't rehash all that.

I do hope that there's not some trite happy ending out of all this. If there is a happy ending, I hope that it's as compelling as some of the other stuff we've seen from this story.

7. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Agreed. It has to be completely different from the original ending. That is what Infinities should be. If they did a "What if Anakin Skywalker never became Darth Vader" I would expect a happy ending. "What if the Rebellion lost at Yavin" you don't expect a happy ending. At the very least it should be something in-between.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I didn't care for the Nazi salute. The Empire is based on Hitler's Third Reich, I know, but that jesture has such negitive connatations for me, I wish they wouldn't have included it.

It's not without precedence. Check out XWRS: The Rebel Opposition

9. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Definately agree on that one. I hope the ending isn't horribly sad, but happy wouldn't be that plausable either, IMHO. Somewhere in the middle is what I'm hoping for...

~*~Bria

10. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    So what do you think will be the next Infinities? I don't think it will be the "What if Anakin Skywalker didn't become Darth Vader." We'll have to wait until all the films are done for that one.

11. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
  12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I hope there is no next one, but if they do I'd like to see, what if the droid army succeeded in taking over naboo, amidala was forced to sign the treaty and was subsequently killed, maul beat both qui-gon and obi-wan and Ani was taken by Palpatine then.

13. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Jeez Mast, i don't think they'll go that far. The only thing that changed in this one was the torp malfunctioned.

14. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I personally would like to see a "What if Anakin Skywalker didn't become Darth Vader," because while one darkness would be taken care of that way, the man behind it, Palpatine, would still make a bid for power, I have no doubt. But I agree with Darth Pipes that we wouldn't see anything like that for a while, if at all.

~*~Bria

15. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "Anyway... While I liked the issue, I didn't care for the Nazi salute. The Empire is based on Hitler's Third Reich, I know, but that jesture has such negitive connatations for me, I wish they wouldn't have included it"

Well..it's a Roman salute originally.

It is the Imperial salute.It's shown in the Rebel Opposition and the Stele Chronicles.

16. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Ok, I didn't know about it being Roman, but it understood as German. It's like the swastika. While the swastika symbol has many meanings in several cultures that date back hundreds if not thousands of years (Native Americans and the Japanese for instance) *that* is what immediately comes to mind in most people when they see it. It's the same with the salute.

While I haven't read that X-Wing arc or the other story that were mentioned, I reallly don't care if it's shown up before. I still don't like it, nor do I think it was neccessary to have it. Lucas modeled the Imperials after Hilter's soldiers, but he certainly didn't put it in the films.

~*~Bria

17. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    What do you think of Han and Leia being smoked on the cover of issue 4?

18. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    The cover is out?

19. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    It's at the end of Infinities no 3.

20. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Are you sure that was Han in there? I think it was Luke and Leia being "smoked" by the Emperor. The cover doesn't look too promising for the good guys and that's the way it should be.

21. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    OHH yeah. Stupid me. And I thought it was Vader and Luke, not Han and Leia.

Yoda looks cool though!

22. RogueMonCalamari

RogueMonCalamari Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2001
    I don't know much about Infinites.... is it a comic book series?

23. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Yep. It deviates from the offical universe. Like an alternate reality. In the current (and premiere) series Luke's torpedo detonates before getting to the core of the Death Star at the end of ANH. It goes in fine, it had nothing to do with his aim or use of the Force. The torp was just malfunctioning and blew apart way to early. So, the Death Star is damamged, but not destroyed. The story goes from there, I don't want to spoil it.

If the Infinities comics continue, they will explore other ideas instead of continueing the story where they leave off at the end of this arc. Or thats the impression I get.

Infinities is also used to denote any other infomation or stories that don't fit into the storyline. Tales comics (a seasonal comic with 5 or so short comic stories in it) has some comedy peices that don't really fit with the offical universe. So the whole Tales series was marked Infinities. It will probably be branded on some other past and new stories. Heres hoping it won't, though.

I like the Infinites comic series because I've always been interested in alternate history and such. I know it may affect the integraty of the entire Star Wars universe. But for the most part I hate the Infinities icon as a whole, as it denotes stories that could fit (with a little work) as not being apart of the original story. I feel its out of laziness. But then, I don't know everything (or anything, really. :))

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "What If Anakin Skywalker Didn't Become Darth Vader?"
    Hmm...That's actually the premise of a Rebellion-Era SWRPG campaign that I'm running right now. One thing is that Obi-Wan will be the Spider-Man of AGFFA: if you notice in all Marvel Comics "What If?" stories, no matter what happens, Spider-Man always ends up dead. So will it be with Obi-Wan in AGFFA. The thing that will really throw my players for a loop is that there will be an Anakin Skywalker and a Darth Vader...

mwoomwoomwoomwoomwoom...I mean...muhahahahaha!

25. RogueMonCalamari

RogueMonCalamari Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2001
    thanks for the info, I'm going to see if I can get the first Infinites issue, sounds like tight stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.