main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW literature vs. regular lit (newbie qustion)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by proopti, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    i agree that it really comes down to the reader -- the question is, will the reader of 2020 or 2050 or 2150 feel touched by SW books? there's a lot of 'classic lit' that definitely didn't grab me.. except in the 'omg i want to chuck this as far as i can' sense.. thanks Thomas Hardy!

2. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    I don't look at Star Wars books as being seperate, really, since they all arc together into one gigantic saga. That makes it much more enjoyable to read, in my opinion, when compared to most stories that rarely go more then seven books long.

If you look at a typical book, they all tend to follow a general formula to some extent. I can't really stand to read non-Star Wars books, when they spend 1/4-1/2 of the book just establishing who the characters are, and what their world is like. That just doesn't interest me. In Star Wars books, we usually already know who the people are, so any set-up needed is minimal.

3. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Considering that some of the so-called classics of today (Shakespeare or Homer) were lofty entertainment when they were written, there aren't large differences.

Depending on author and his/her performance with a novel (Zahn's TTT was brilliant, while Survivor's Quest was only decent) and considering the wide variety of SW you'll find novels, that will catch and exite you, but also stories, that aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

In the end it comes down to your personal taste and the things you expect from a good StarWars-novel.

4. DarthElendil

DarthElendil Jedi Master

Aug 29, 2005
    i agree, its not up to tolkien, but an advantage of star wars is that most of it is very good, and they keep coming out with more, so if you like it, you will be able to get new ones all the time.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yay, somebody else hates Dickens! [face_dancing]

6. Pyroooo

Pyroooo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2005
    I cant stand Dickens either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.