main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ SW Mag

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by nzfergie, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nzfergie

nzfergie Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2002
    Hi all,
    does any one know if u can get the sw mag (called 'Star Wars insider' is this rite?)
    in NZ - like in book shops etc.
    And does any one no of any other Star Wars magazines avaliable in NZ?
    Thnaks

2. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Hi and welcome to the boards, NZfergie.

The Star Wars Insider stopped subscriptions outside the US sometime last year, but an australian source tells me you can now subscribe outside the states: "if you want to subscribe you must either snail mail or call 001-1800-692-3836."
    because of this I don't think any comic stores sell it either.

There is another SW magazine available at some bookstores (it took me a while to find someone who stocked it) it is a UK publication, thats as much as I know. someone else might have some more info :)

hope that helps.

3. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Welcome nzfergie! May your stay be long and addictive! :D

The other SW mag Chansplace spoke of is just called "Star Wars". I tried to find it at Borders in Auckland but they don't sell it. Just one less place you have to look. ;)

4. nzfergie

nzfergie Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2002
    Thanks for that u guys!
    Um, 'Chansplace' do u no anything about this 'Australian Source' like web addy, email, name etc.
    Thanks agin

5. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    DOH!! I typed up a reply and then obviously forgot to "Post" it before logging off. :mad:

The UK magazine is a bi-monthly one (every two months) simply called Star Wars. I get a copy put aside for me at a PaperPlus branch here in Auckland, but I have seen it at another PaperPlus branch and one Whitcoulls branch as well. So far I've collected four issues (and missed one that never arrived in NZ).

It's published by Titan magazines in the UK, but I'm not sure who distributes it here in NZ (there's only a couple of distributors anyway). It costs nearly $17 and is fairly thin, but it's full colour and has only a few adverts, mostly for other Titan magazines/comics.

The same company does a monthly Star Trek magazine which is easier to find - that'd help the shop owner to get a copy for you, just make sure they understand you want WARS not Trek, and that it's a magazine not a comic.

Like all overseas magazines, it's sent by sea so is always a 2-3 months behind. Unfortunately you can't airmail subscribe yet.

There should be another issue due about now, but the Christmas/New Year period can cause a delay in shipping and distributing. I'll be going in later in the week to check.

6. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    If u have a comic shop where u live go and ask for a look at there previews book it comes out every month and it has all the comics and toys they order from america in it it also has a magazine sectionu can order the star wars insider in there u can ask if they can order one for u but it will be like 30-40 nz and will take about 2 months to arrive

7. nzfergie

nzfergie Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2002
    Hey 'Buzz-Bumble'
    Could you please tell me when the latest one is out. (just when u see it)
    Cheers

8. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    NZfergie, just e-mailed you the e-mail addy for the SW Insider. any one else want the e-mail address let me know. :)

9. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

I've just got back from PaperPlus. I picked up the latest Mac magazine, but no Star Wars one yet. :(

10. nzfergie

nzfergie Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2002
    hey 'chansplace' i got your email - emailed them, but they said ' Lucas does not license subscriptions outside US and Canada'
    But don't worry,
    I've got my local P+ store to get this UK mag, so i'll c wot that is like
    Thanks tho
    :)

11. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    probably common knowlege already, but you can now get The Insider From Iconix:

"Back Issues of the Star Wars Insider are available from Iconix in Hastings, and the new Issues will also be available as they come out in the USA. They are $23.95 each."

more here: SWNZ

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    "Insider" and "Galaxy" were the 2 Star Wars mags I used to buy. Then I discovered starwars.com and tf.n and the need to buy those magazines, with 2 month old stories, suddenly vanished!

Gotta love the internet...

13. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    Zigactly!

I bought a couple of galaxy mags, but the net is a much better (and cheaper) source of info.

14. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    I've seen the mags in whitcoulls and the magazine center, but as already mentioned here why pay horrendous sums for 2 month old mags when TFN offers up to date info..

Hey Fergie, still keen to play XWA sometime?

15. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey, it's STAR WARS, that alone justifies any price ... well, almost. :)

I just picked up my copy of the Jan/Feb 2002 issue of the UK Star Wars magazine. :)

In this issue we get ...
    • "News" about the R2-D2: Beneath the Dome mockumentary.

• More Episode II "news" - including a picture of Temuera Morrison (not wearing Jango Fett's helmet) sitting at the controls of Slave I.

• A 14-page article about Jango and Boba Fett (with picture pages).

• An 8-page article about the Muppets Star Wars episode.

• Pull-out poster for the Muppets Star wars episode - Luke, C-3PO, Chewie, Princess Piggy and Darth Gonzo. :)

• Competition to win a limited edition 1/3 scale pewter Boba Fett statue - closed 20 Feb :(

• The Dark Side Sourcebook for the roleplaying game.

• The Star Wars Customizable Card Game.

• Article about Troy Denning, author of New Jedi Order: Star By Star.

• Top ten list of Star Wars Smugglers, Rogues and Outlaws - we can all guess who's #1. :)

Also inside the magazine was an advertising brochure / application form from MBNA Europe Bank for a Star Trek Visa credit card. :)

You join up and get a Star Trek: The Original Series credit card (yellow). When you've spent £2,500 you receive the Star Trek: The Next Generation credit card (purple). After you've spent £5,000 you get the Star Trek: Voyager credit card. Each card has the same credit limit (whatever your allowed by the bank).

The Star Trek theme cards are a (semi) good idea, but the "earning" is a bit silly. You should just be able to pick whichever one you want.

Now, where's the Star Wars version?? :D

16. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    Agh! Where did you find it?

And how much is it?

Saw the US Vanity Fair today, $17.95!!! [face_shocked] I think I'll wait for the Europe edition.

17. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

I don't need to find it. :)

I haven't actually seen a copy on the shelves anywhere this time. I get a copy put aside for me at the Sunnynook (Auckland) PaperPlus each time. It looks like this one arrived in the shop last week (18 February).

It costs $16.45, but it's bimonthly, so that only makes it $8.23 per month. :)

Any "good" magazine shop should be able to order it for you. It's called simply Star Wars and is published in the UK by Titan Publishing. I don't know who distributes it here, but the shop can find out - there's only two or three companies, and this magazine is by the same people who do a monthly Star Trek magazine I've seen on various shelves.

18. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    I wish I could use the Telecom Talking Points to trade for that.

19. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    Is that the one with Jango Fett on the cover?

if so saw it in Gotham Comics in Auckland yesterday
    unsure of the price.

20. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Yep. Jango on the cover, with Princess Piggy and Darth Gonzo in the bottom-left corner.

Gotham Comics probably do stock it as well - they might even get it airfreighted, so no two month wait (but more cost).

21. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    LOOK!

We already have a "Star Wars" based Magazine thread here.

JP is not closing redundent threads.

DE-MOD!

22. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    JP is a games mod SFL its not like we have soooo many people that post here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.