main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series SW Movie Saga Quotes in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Saxman, May 28, 2015.

1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Clearly.

Honestly, I can see the issue but the examples OP used aren't very good. Quotes about fear, hate, and anger aren't just specific to Yoda... that's kinda the overall theme of the dark side.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  2. Darth Saxman

Darth Saxman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012

LOL --- fair enough ---- if a mod is concerned about the thread title, then instead of locking, I'd appreciate it be changed to "SW Movie Saga Quote Re-Usage in Rebels"

So "I haven't sensed a presence like that since............" and "That's it, the Rebels are there!!!!" aren't very good examples?

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No, but Yoda is the Iconic Mouth Piece when it comes to preaching his Era's take on the Force. So I can understand some issue with that case.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Have they said in show

I have a bad feeling about this?

TCW had the same problem if you look for it but most of them fit with what was being said at the time.

5. Darth Saxman

Nov 6, 2012
    Pretty sure they have, and we already discussed that this is probably one of only a few lines from the OT/PT that can be re-used fairly. Another example is "May the Force Be With You" ---- that is universal enough to be fair game.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

SO to you they can use any lines from the movies except those two?

7. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    The one that gets me every time is Kanan saying "The Force is everywhere. It surrounds us. It penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together" in Spark of Rebellion. He is directly quoting something that Obi-wan Kenobi hasn't even said yet (and even if he had already said it, Kanan wouldn't know).That definitely made me cringe.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Although that means the OT is ripping off lines from rebels chronologically speaking.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Darth Saxman

Nov 6, 2012
    Um, JKF....please read more carefully. Those two lines are two of the only lines that CAN fairly and non-confusingly be re-used throughout the series.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Sorry I read that right what I meant to say is those are the only to lines that you think should be used from the PT and OT

11. Darth Saxman

Nov 6, 2012
    JKF ---- that is one of the main points of this thread. That re-usage of lines from the OT diminishes the future chronological usage of those lines by major characters in the movies.

Those are the two that come to mind at the moment that are the least confusing and least disruptive to the chronological canon storyline. There may be others, and maybe others will chime in with some.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Think of it this way if you could work on star wars would you not use a movie line here and there other then those two.

13. Darth Saxman

Nov 6, 2012
    No, really, I wouldn't, because I would know just how confusing that is to the well-versed fan, and how it could take a brilliant line from a prior film and cheapen it. There are a lot of ways to say things and a lot of words in the English language. Why have two different characters in two different time periods say the exact same thing (beyond such universal expressions like "may the force be with you" and in-the-know fan jokes like "I have a bad feeling about this)? If I worked for Star Wars, I'd have my characters say new, fresh dialogue lines and would, if I was a talented enough writer, be lucky enough to have those lines become NEW classics in the star wars canon saga.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I see your points but I don't think having lines would cheapen them IMO

and I would think it the opposite confusing to non well versed fans.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Darth Saxman

Nov 6, 2012
    Well, non-well versed fans wouldn't even know the difference ---- they'd just attribute the clever line to the Rebels character and Rebels screenwriters, robbing the original screenwriters of their credit and OT characters of their moment later in the saga.

Well-versed fans would recognize the line and either a) not care or b) wonder why that character is saying that line decades before another character does

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

To me its pretty simple to see it as a call back to the films to the knowing fans and I think I am B.

Iron_lord and jakobitis89 like this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well. This happened. Darth Saxman,

I'll be blunt. You want to endlessly debate the same three points over and over again? That's not okay. Strawmanning is one thing, but dragging threads down page after page and gaining zero ground isn't what I'd call contructive discussion. Also, "X" fans are different from "Y" fans is not an argument, so drop that.

So, Darth Saxman, lay off making threads for a bit. If all you're going to do is irritate everyone, then I can assure you your popularity here will dwindle. This thread is fine, if a bit disingenuous in origin.

Everyone else, ease up a bit, especially you Jako. I'm trying this thing where I don't lock every other thread, and I'd like to keep that going.

And FWIW, if anyone's gonna accuse Rebels of cheaply cribbing lines from the films, then I'd have to point out that the films themselves did it more than enough, and I'm not just talking about MTFBWY or IHABFAT.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  18. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Yep, point taken. My apologies to anyone who I have offended. Certain lines were crossed and that's on me.
    [​IMG]

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I can agree that there are some lines that are badly used and some really funny ones

Funny

Coincidence I think not.:p

20. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    You may very well think so... I couldn't possibly comment.

21. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Well, it is for sure debatable whether those re-use of movie quotes is a good thing or not. I think it depends on the situation. That Kanan re-used Yodas quote in the series premiere was even for me a bit too far, but I don't see why it would weaken Yodas line in TESB.

In a galaxy with trillions of sentient beings and a history that spans over thousands of generations (at least in Legends), it is entirely possible that person A speaks a line that was spoken by person B somewhere in the past.

22. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Saxman has made a thread without a mention of Filoni.He's improving.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  23. Darth Saxman

Nov 6, 2012
    Todd the Jedi --- will do, and my apologies for the recent hyperbole towards Filoni and dead horse beating I've been responsible for. Will hold off on the thread making for awhile and will make sure that the next one I make is either positive or neutral in tone for a change :D

I can't think of anytime in the OT that was guilty of this, beyond Han and Leia each doing the "I love you" "I know" thing in two different films, which worked since it was their own little inside love proclamation / exchange.

The PT did do this at points (like Anakin going "Here's where the fun begins" and Palpatine going "Search your feelings.....you know.........", both in Episode III interestingly --- I'm not sure if Episodes 1 or 2 had many re-uses / ripoffs), and that doesn't necessarily make it OK for Rebels to do, because be it PT or Rebels, there are cases where re-using old OT lines feels confusing to and risks cheapening a potentially brilliant quote.

Sure,
    Sure, that's true, but when it happens a bunch of times among the same characters in a not-so-long timeframe, it can't really be written off as coincidence --- it comes off more as the screenwriter shoehorning in language and phrases that were originally intended for other characters and other circumstances as opposed to seeming like what the character at hand would actually say.

Would both Kanan and Vader "sense a presence they haven't felt since................" and say it in the exact same way, and in the same storyline, both Anakin Skywalker and Han Solo both say "This is where the fun begins!"? Feels more like heavyhanded screenwriter shoehorning, for who knows what reason, instead of genuine dialogue for the character that re-used the phrase (Kanan and Anakin in these instances).

LOL --- see? I am learning to practice some restraint on here :cool: It only took about 30 pages over 3 threads.

24. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Unless Im very much mistaken Kanan actually says :"I haven't felt a presence like that since".....What do you want him to say?

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He also quotes Yoda's "Do or do not, there is no try" and admits he doesn't entirely understand it either when Ezra complains.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.