main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA SW: RPG Anyone? (Next Session: To Be Discussed In This Thread)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ben_ethus, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    EDITED TEXT IS BOLDED BELOW

Greetings, blokes.

Over the months I've been flitting around the boards here, a few people have proposed the idea of starting a tabletop Star Wars Roleplaying game quest. These proposals typically were very well-received, though (as far as I know) nothing ever came as a result. I was always disappointed when things failed to progress, as I'd always wanted to take the game for a spin.

So, I've decided to take matters into my own hands... *cracks knuckles*

Sometime towards the middle (or end) of August I fully intend to start a quest going, and anyone who is interested is welcome to join the crew.

--------------------------
    LOGISTIC DETAILS
    ---------------------------
    ***We'll be using the Star Wars D20 Revised Rulebooks.
    ***I'd like to have a session maybe twice a month, or once every three weeks.
    ***Sessions will most likely run (at least) 4 hours. [This isn't an exact figure, but I've found that you need at least 4 hours to get any form of progress made in a quest. Me and my college cronies have been known to have sessions last anywhere from 10-12 hours, but I doubt others have that kind of stamina. 8-} ]
    ***I'll be serving as GM (or DM, as it were).
    ***Since table-top RPGs are fueled by imagination, it always seemed kind of dodgy to use pre-fabbed quests, so I will most likely create all scenarios using both halves of my very own brain.
    ***I'd like to have at least 4 players.
    ***Unless there's some hideous problem with it, or special circumstances dictate otherwise, sessions will be at my place.
    ***Supply your own dice. (I only have one set for myself! One set = 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d10, 1d12, 1d20. If you don't have 'em, they can be bought for like $5 at game shops, or, if you're lucky, a fellow player may be nice enough to let you borrow theirs.)
    ***You won't need to purchase any books if you don't want to. I (or someone else) will have access to the info you need.

***Your characters will start at Level 1.
    ***No one will start off owning a starship. (It may be possible to later purchase one, but it will not prove to be an easy/cheap task, I assure you.)
    ***Chances are you won't run into "main characters" from the movies or EU very often or, possibly, at all.

***More info as I ponder it.

-----------------------
    MY BACKGROUND
    -----------------------
    I should probably mention this would be my first time running a Star Wars D20 quest; however, I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons D20 with my college cronies ever since it came out, and I have had experience running a quest in that game. Since both games basically use the same system, I feel confident enough in my knowledge of the rules to provide a reasonably decent quest for you folks. (Doesn't hurt I'm rather well-versed with the Star Wars universe in general, I s'pose... 8-} )

At any rate, I'm going to use the coming weeks to familiarize myself with the idiosyncrasies of the Star Wars D20 rules, and to put together what I believe to be an entertaining quest for the players.

So, I suppose what I need from you guys is a couple of things... If you could reply to this post with the following info, that'd be great.

1) What's your level of interest?
    a) Lifer: Will make an effort to make each session for the duration of the quest.
    b) Floater: Only would like to play once or twice, or bop in and out as a cameo once in a while.

2) What era would you like to play in? (Old Republic, Rebellion, New Republic, NJO, etc...) [Note: This will effect the race/class you can be.]

3) So as to keep things a surprise for the other players, please PM or email me the race/class/mini-bio of the character you'll be playing. Mini-bio need only be a sentence or two describing what your dude is about: goals, occupation, etc...

4) Best days / times to get together. (Not specific dates, but general points during the week.)

That's all I can think of for now, but i

2. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I'm in as a lifer what era to play in I think either the old republic or the NJO eras would give the most leeway. what days considdering I'm not working and don't know when I will be again don't matter to me.

3. corran_16201

corran_16201 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2000
    You know that was false advertising I thought I'd finally be able to make money for wearin tights and beating up bad guys.

4. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Floater. Rebellion.

My character will need to be a member of the E.T. species.

5. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    a) Lifer

2) What era would you like to play in?
    Old Republic, or Rebellion

3) Best days / times to get together.
    Saturday's noonish to whenever.

Brian, I have MANY of the source books for this and can readily help you. Although to be honest I get them for the trivia and not the game play.

I used to be a RPG player "back in da day" (high school), but haven't played for at least 10 years now. I used to play D&D, Battletech and even Star TREK the RPG. Okay noone start throwing stones, that was during the dark times of being a Star Wars fan, whenthere were no movies on the horizon and the toys had stopped being produced. Anyway, don't worry, I can get up to speed very quickly on RPG's, especially if concerns Star Wars. Let me know if you'd like to borrow any of my sourcebook's. PM me if you want a list of what I've got. (It's all the new stuff. I've been buying these up a bit for the last 6 months or so because of the toy drought, so I had to have something fill my time...)

6. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Lifer.

Old Republic or Rebellion

3) Best days / times to get together.
    Friday nights or anytime Saturday

Dice roleplaying is very very fun. From high school through college I did alot of RPGing (mostly D&D) I was even part of the Allegheny Role Playing Assoication (college organization. allowed us to have an 'office' along with the other student organizations, and more importantly a budget to buy sourcebooks) The only reason that I don't play anymore is I couldn't find anyone else to play with :)

Also, as a side note, when the WV group was up for the Comicon, they mentioned that they play fairly regularily. If we get this game group off the ground, maybe we could get together with the WV folks for an 'one shot' marathon session some weekend . . .

7. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I've more or less decided to set the game in the Old Republic times to give you guys freedom in creating your characters.

Now, I've been batting many different fairly nifty ideas for a quest around, but what characters you guys choose to play will ultimately decide how the quest begins.

As a result, if you could let me know somehow what kind of character you'd like to play (race, class, mini-bio) via PM or email as soon as you can, that'd be uber-fabulous. Now don't go and completely create your character yet. All I need at this point is those three very basic tidbits. (Please bear in mind that the info you send me in regards to your character is what you've committed yourself to playing.)

In fact, I'd very much like to be present when you guys roll your stats. (Unless you decide to do that weird alternate point-allotting system described in the core rulebook.) If I was smart, I would have had those present at the meeting today roll stats there, but I wasn't thinking. So, I'll just have you guys do it at the picnic. If you don't plan to be at the picnic, we'll figure something out.

At any rate, I'll more or less let you guys have total freedom in regards to your character, unless it's completely and totally off-the-wall... (read as: Jedi Jawas, Ewok Fighter Pilots, etc...) If you think there may be issues with your character, just get in touch with me, and we can discuss it, and I'll figure something out.

I think that's all for now. I'm going to go to my first post and edit it a bit to reflect that I'd like to know your character info.

I'm very excited about getting this crazy game going.

Rolling his initiative,
    Yours Truly

8. DarthDahc

DarthDahc Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 4, 2002
    b) Floater

Old republic, because everyone else wants to play that

4) Best days / times to get together.
    I'll be playing at holidays and certain weekends, i'll give the heads up when

9. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    Well, as it appears that I'm not going to be going anywhere(for school that is), it looks like I will be around to join in on the fun of the good ole RPG. As long as it's not too late to jump in here. Here's my info though.
    1)Level of interest: Lifer
    2)Era to play in: It appears as the Old Republic has been selected
    3)Best days/times: Any days are ok, times best for me would be any time after 2pm. Unless we set dates in advance, so I can request those days off, in which case any time would be good.

10. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Hmmmm, unfortunate it is that you will not be returning to school this fall Zero :( even though it will be much fun to have you in the RPG group.

So when is our first session?? Delalunna Nodrian is ready to go :D

11. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    So is Zathahr Grahrk!

Pronounced: ZA (hard "A") thar (like far but with "th") - Grack

By the way, GC, what race is Delalunna Nodrian? She (I assume your playing a female character) sound Rodian in nature. Am I right? Either that or Twi-Lek... And what type of character is she?

My guy is a cousin to Villie (from the comic book) and every bit as much like him. If you don't know who he is, I'd recommend getting the comic books. The title is Star Wars "Republic". Very good stories for comic books, IMO.

12. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Unfortunately, the start of your party's adventures may be delayed a bit as a result of my seemingly never-ending string of bad luck that is posing serious threats to my current quality of life.

When my current crisis has abated, I'll get down my ideas on paper, map them out, and then unleash them upon you poor, unsuspecting suckers... [face_devil]

Zero... There's no such thing as "too late," fortunately, though if you could come up with a character idea (just the idea, not the stats or anything) and send that to me (via PM or email), that'd be faboo.

So very tired,
    Yours Truly

13. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Brian - which crisis was it that you are currently working on? I've lost track ;) Seriously, I do hope you get the car/apartment stuff sorted out soon.

Zero -- If you are coming to the Sept meeting, perhaps we could make your character there (if we don't get together to play before that)

Sal -- Delaluna is a Codru-Ji (sp?) they were mentioned in the book where the Solo kids were kidnapped and Leia disguises herself as a bounty hunter to find them . . . I think it was Crystal Star.

And I know who Villie is :D

14. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

You'll be happy to know that I've rectified my most recent personal crisis, and unless a new one manifests itself, I'll finally have the time and presence of mind to jot down the specifics for your quest.

I'm going to work on it each night this week, and will let you know when I have completed enough to begin our fun. Then we can work together to nail down a time in which we can start things up.

Sorry for all the delay. I'd really hoped to have had the first session by now, but reality has a tendency to put a damper on even the best laid plans.

Gang aft agly,
    Yours Truly

P.S. I now drive this...

15. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    looks like a nice car. :)

16. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, reality bites sometimes. I guess that's why we escape to that galaxy, far, far away sometimes.

Cool Car, congrats.

17. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Okay, I've been working on things for the past week or so now, and I'm getting ready to finish off the nitty-gritty details, so...

Let's set a date for the first session!

I'd like to run it on a Saturday afternoon (noonish - whenever), since that's when most people seemed to be available. The 20th is out, since that's our monthly meeting. So, does the 13th work for you guys? (Or, even the 6th, though that'd be very little notice for you guys, and not terribly convenient for Yours Truly.)

Just post and let me know when it would be best for everyone to meet up. I will proceed with a date if I can get at least 3 players. (Which aren't necessarily entirely from the SWAP boards. I've got some other buddies potentially interested.)

So, just let me know what works best for you, and lets get this crazy thang started!

Real men's dice have 20 sides,
    Yours Truly

18. MetalliJedi

May 10, 2002
    i'm game but I have one request could we please push it back till around 2 I work overnight and don't get home till 7:30 in the am that a noon time start w/ somebody pickin me up around 11ish would only get me 3.5-4 hrs of sleep and I work that night and the night before.

19. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    The 13th is my niece's birthday party. The 27th I'm taking her to see Sing-a-Long Wizard of Oz. 6th i'm moving the rest of my stuff.

What about Friday nights?

20. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

In regards to Fridays... it sounds like Josh works tough hours on Friday night, and I'm typically a little kooky after having worked all day long, and we'd have to stay up real late to make any progress since the earliest I could probably start things would be 6pm.

Having said all that, I could do it if absoultely needed, but how does Sunday afternoons work for you folks?

Or... if you guys wanted to go ultimo-hardcore, we could just do it after the meeting/book discussion on the 20th. We'd probably all be together anyhow, and would be just down the street from my swingin' pad.

So, I don't know. Let me know what works best for you folks.

Scheduling is brutal,
    Yours Truly

21. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    *shrug* i'm taking the Padawans back to collge after the meeting . . . Sundays would be fine by me if we played mostly in the day and wrapped things up by 8PM or 9PM.

22. MetalliJedi

May 10, 2002
    sunday would be fine too I don't start till 10 that night so i'm good.

23. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Since I have to get up at 5:30am each weekday morning to get to work, if we played it up on Sundays, I can assure you that things would come to a close relatively early.

How does the 14th sound then?

Can't think of a decent tagline,
    Yours Truly

24. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Sorry, I haven't chimed in yet. I'll be on vacation from the 12th to 19th.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be a part of this.

If you can schedule it for the sunday after the meeting (21st), I'm good for that.

PLEASE include me in this. I have been waiting VERY long to make use of the RPG books I have, and to kinda get back to having a RPG night to go to.

If we can't shcedule it before the meeting then maybe we should discuss it there.

How about a set weekend like we do with the meetings now? If we put it off until Oct. maybe we can go with the second Sat of the month. This is the next least intrusive weekend in general and for holidays in particular.

Another suggestion, since some of us have not made our character yet, how about we do that after the meeting and we can go over some of the basics without actually playing the game, and consider that our RPG for Sept. This way we will be better prepared for the actual game. (It would really slow the start of the game if we have to create characters and be taught how to play the game, at the game itself.)

What do you all think?

25. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Sal... I rather like your idea for doing a mini-quest (to finalize characters, and go over basic mechanics) before the Big Shebang. Doing it after the meeting would be convenient since we should all be there, though I believe Chris has to bail to take the Padawans back to college, so I'm guessing that won't work for her.

So, would you guys be available to do the "character-finalization/mechanics session" on the 21st?

(NOTE: Chris... if it turns out you're the only one who can't hang around and do up the mini-quest, we can schedule up a time to meet and do that on a one-on-one basis, if you'd like, rather than having everyone congregate [again] the very next day.)

As much as I dislike pushing things back even further, I'm open to holding off till October, if need be. However, if we could meet up on a Sunday afternoon prior to October, but then keep a regular schedule implemented after that point, I think that would be good.

I suppose just let me know your preferences on all the happy junk I discussed above.

For a number of different reasons, I'll hold off on having the first session until after the 20th. The bonus to this is that it gives me more time to prepare things for you guys.

Doesn't want to disappoint,
    Yours Truly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.