main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA SW: RPG Anyone? (Next Session: To Be Discussed In This Thread)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ben_ethus, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Sal... Once again our thoughts are aligned: I didn't intend to run it any later than the times you specified.

Get out of my brain!!! ;)

Anyway, glad to hear Josh can attend. I'll apologize once more for all the confusion in regards to this, but, fortunately, things seem like they'll work out.

Can't wait,
    Yours Truly

2. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    ~~~ I was not in your brain ~~~ (waves hand in front of himself)

No reason to apologize.

Scheduling conflicts happen all the time.

And I can't wait either!

3. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I had lots of fun on Sunday and can't wait until the next session on Sunday Nov 9th!

4. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Yes, so did I. Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been extremely busy at work.

5. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I'm glad you guys had a good time. I enjoyed myself as well.

On the plus side, there shouldn't be as much combat next time... Though, there's nothing else quite like having an entire session devoted to one large brawl... ;)

Ah well... at least you guys got a chance to be more familiar with the combat rules... [face_mischief]

Looking forward to next time,
    Yours Truly

6. JebZingo

JebZingo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    Wow, you guys are playing d20? That's brave. The d20 system is one I could never reconcile.

You should definitely play the d6 WEG version instead. It's easier, more fun, and vastly superior.

I always felt that the d20 SW was rather shoehorned into the D&D paradigm in an unnatural way. d20 as an OGL system is silly, anyway, if only because it's so limited by its parameters (the class system, for one...and the races in the SW d20 main book are stupid; who wants to play a bloody Gungan?!).

We play a d6 SW game twice a month (sometimes in Sewickley, sometimes in Bellevue, sometimes on the South Side), and it never fails to entertain. The vast amount of documentation for WEG is nothing short of comprehensive.

But if you're having fun, more power to you.

7. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

JebZingo... Unfortunately, since I've never really gotten to experience the d6 system (I don't count the one time I played with 2 friends for an hour before we took a "snack break" that lasted... well... forever), I'm decidedly ill-equipped to debate with you.

But, I'll try, anyway!!! [face_mischief]

I do agree that the choices of species in the Revised Core Book are slightly odd. Human, Ewok, Gungan, Zabrak, etc... Strange mix to say the least. (I can't imagine ever wanting to play a gungan. Not my style.)

However, I never really thought of the d20 system as all that difficult to learn. Bear in mind, I have no clue as to how things run in d6, but I like the concise, tactical nature of the d20 combat system. (1 round = 1 full attack, 1 attack and 1 move, or 2 moves). Mostly everyone who played last Sunday had never played d20 before, and seemed to pick it up pretty quickly.

Also, what issues do you have with the d20 class system? I'm curious as to why you think it's limiting.

Anyway, I should probably note that the d20 system is only the second role-playing system I've ever dealt with, so I may be a bit biased. The only other rules I've played under was the AD&D Second Edition rules, which could make any other system seem easy...

I will freely admit that the d20 system does practically encourage the DM/players to "power-game," and that's not cool. I see that as the system's weakest point; however, if DM'ed/played properly, it can be avoided... but the system does lend itself to it pretty readily. I reckon it was designed in such a way so as to ensnare some of the folks who would only play video game RPGs. To make it more enticing to those who only ever scoffed at pencil/paper adventures. Granted, I have no way of proving that, but it seems as valid an argument as any other.

At any rate, that's cool that you're a fellow local and that you decided to post. Where've you been hiding? 8-}

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope to maybe see you around on the boards.

Needs to catch some sleep,
    Yours Truly

8. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Oh my friend, JebZingo, you haven't seen the Ultimate Alien Anthology yet then.

There are a couple of hundren aliens in that book. (It's part of SW RPG) So much to choose from. Mnay of those races of Aliens come with their own Modifiers as well making for a more diverse community of characters to choose from.

It's been sometime since I played the d6 system, but I recall it being strenuous at times. This system seems to be easy to figure out and for our little RPG group that seems to work well.

Some had either never played or like me hadn't played an RPG game in awhile.

I think we all enjoyed the game alot.

[Thinking out loud] Just wish those Jedi wouldn't have cut holes in that ship. We could have commandeered it for ourselves and had our own group starship... Oooh and I'll have to keep my eyes on that little furball... (J/K) ;)

9. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    Sal is quite correct. The Alien Anthology book is quite cool. I wish I would have bought it before I created my character; I found some rellay cool species I'd like to play in there. I think they only included the species they did in the core rulebook because they were"big" around the time Ep. 1& 2 came out, as that's about the time the book was released. Either that, or they figured that you could use one of the stats from those species as the basis for others. Who knows.
    And as for certain Jedi cutting holes in the ship, it worked at the time. Besides, no one else had a quicker idea. And in any case, we have a wookie mechanic with us. He can fix it! :D

10. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    No worries. It was my idea for you and Deluna to jump onto the cockpit window and hack away.

Hopefully Rorwr can fix it if we're able to keep it. Hopefully we can remember to ask Brian about this.

Maybe the Republic will be nice enough and give us the ship after investigating it. Hey it saves them the paper work and storage space...

11. ZeroCool69

Feb 22, 2002
    I ment to bring this up at Kennywood, but I just forgot since I was having so much fun.
    Our next session, Nov 9, is the same "weekend" area as the Clone Wars Party. I know we had tried to make the Kennywood outing a date where we wouldn't be doing alot of things right in a row. I know I don't have a problem with it, just making sure it wouldn't cause a problem later on.

12. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I'm cool with it. I think we mentioned or at least realized this was going to be the same weekend as the cartoon party.

So, when's the one after that?

Do we dare try one for December? Remember there is a toy convention in December, Christmas and so on. Still I'd like to have one in December if at all possible.

Brian, if you can and not everyone else can, maybe whomever can, can (lots of cans huh?) have a mini adventure for themselves or a side adventure with whomever can make it.

This might be a good idea fr the future as well, incase the whole group can't make it for some reason or another. Not too much in XP but just a little something extra for those who can make it. just a though.

BTW, the Coruscant RPG book is very cool. I'm learning tons about our favorite city-world. Hmm perhaps I'll use this to my advantage in the quest itself...

13. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Ummm, there is not only a big hole in the cockpit windsheild, but also a couple of holes in the hull and one of the landing struts has been hacked on by an enraged ewok.

*grin* I thought the holes (Sal's idea???????) were a very good idea. Worked, didn't it :)

14. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Ok as for the ship the windshield can be replaced, the landing strut repaired, and the holes in the hull can be welded. If we offer to fix it ourselves we very well may get the ship free.

15. ZeroCool69

Feb 22, 2002
    Worked quite well if I remember correctly. Granted, we didn't actually get involved too much in the fighting. In fact, I think all we really did was put holes in the ship and search it (but at least it's something!!!) And like I said, that's why we have Rookie the Wookie with us(j/k Josh ;) )

16. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, it was my idea to cut the hole in the windshield. (That was after the Jedi decided to carve up the Trandoshan slaver craft like a Thanksgiving Turkey.) The damage had already been done...

(BTW, I am speaking this as my character not me...)

Well, Coruscant Security and Customs may still let us take it off their hands.

Hmm, there was a room for sleeping, a refresher (bathroom) and a cargo area. Seems like just enough for a small band of would-be heroes. And if there's not enough room we can always stuff the Ewok in a utility locker... Just kiddin' you little furball. (Gives a noogie to the Ewok.)

Anyone up for Sabaac or Paazak?

(Sabaac is a poker-like game and Paazak is a Blackjack/21-like game in the SW universe)

17. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    D'oh, why didn't I think of this before...

Brian, were the creatures that attacked the customs officials, Massiffs? They have sharp teeth and spikey things coming out of there backs.

Or perhaps, kitten Nexu?

Not that it matters too much now, just like to know.

18. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Ding ding ding!

Sal wins the prize!

The "beasties" you guys were fighting were in fact "massiffs." I'm glad to see my shoddy oral description skills were sufficient enough for you to deduce that. :)

I'd meant to mention it before but, I have a tendency to forget to do stuff...

Just forgot something else,
    Yours Truly

19. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Oh, I had thought they were Howlrunners from Kamar. Opps. [face_blush]

20. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I don't know about you crazy kids, but I had a good time. I rather liked some of the solutions you guys concocted to get past a few of the obstacles placed in your path.

Good times. Thanks for coming.

See you next month,
    Yours Truly

21. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, as Obi-wan said, "There are alternatives to fighting"...

22. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Nothing to see here.

You may go about your business.

Swears he didn't just post this to bump the thread,
    Yours Truly

23. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I didn't post here just to keep this near the top either :D

24. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I'm gonna have to cancel today's meeting on account of the weather. So, yeah, I hate the snow.

Sorry, folks.

Boo to snow,
    Yours Truly

25. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    *shakes her head* I can't believe you guys let a little snow cancel our RPG session.

sigh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.