main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA SW-RPG Miniatures. See latest post for new info.

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Agreed!

Everyone collecting these cool with having a trading session after a meeting?

We can use this thread to post our wants/haves list of figures.

Here's my wants list so far:

All of them (ha ha)

-Sal

[Edit]
    Here's more info I found out about these:

Designed to allow players the immediate satisfaction of an instantly playable game, the first set of Star Wars Miniatures will be available in both Entry and Expansion Packs. The initial Entry ' s pack provide all the starting materials a player needs to become familiar with the Star Wars® miniatures line, including 16 randomized, standard-scale (30mm) miniatures from Episodes IV, V, and VI, each with their own statistics card. The Entry Pack also includes a complete basic rulebook, a 20-sided die, and a checklist for the set, making the miniatures playable right out of the box.
    The Star Wars® Miniatures Expansion Pack will feature eight random miniatures with statistics cards, and will include super-rare figures not available in the Entry Pack. The Expansion pack will also contain rare, uncommon and common figures.

Here's the website for the full report:
    SW-RPG miniatures

Now their numbers conflict with the posts above so take this info with a grain of salt.

Either way though whether the figures come 10 or 16 to the starter kit and 6, 7, or 8 to the expansion sets, I'm still planning on buy them.
    [End Edit]

2. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    We know there will be 60 mini figs for the first set that encompasses the Original Trilogy. We don't yet know what charcters however will be part of that list.

Here's a list of possibles (seperated into each movie-going on the premise that they will do 20 from each movie) I'm basing these off of importance to the story. There won't be too many minor characters unless their role was pivotal to the story or they were an army building type character like a Stormtrooper for instance.

Star Wars:
    1. Luke (Tatooine)
    2. Leia
    3. Han
    4. Chewie
    5. R2-D2
    6. C-3PO
    7. Stormtrooper
    8. Darth Vader
    9. Ben Kenobi
    10. Jawa
    11. Tusken Raider
    12. Greedo
    13. Poda Baba
    14. Dr. Evazan (sp?)
    15. X-wing pilot (this may be a specific one or a generic one)
    16. Tie Pilot
    17. Grand Moff Tarkin
    18. Death Star Trooper (detention area guards)
    19. Sandtrooper
    20. Garindan (Imperial spy who reported the docking bay of the Millenium Falcon-Docking Bay 94)

Empire Stikes Back:
    1. Lando
    2. Luke (Cloud City outfit)
    3. Han (blue jacket-brown pants)
    4. Luke (Hoth)
    5. Han (Hoth)
    6. Snowtrooper
    7. Wampa (if not too big)
    8. Yoda
    9. Boba Fett
    10. Bossk
    11. IG-88
    12. 4-lom
    13. Zuckuss
    14. Dengar
    15. General Veers (either as Officer or AT-AT commander)
    16. AT-AT driver
    17. Chewie w/C-3po "backpack"
    18. Ugnauts
    19. Hoth Rebel soldier
    20. General Reikaan

Return of the Jedi:
    1. Emperor
    2. Luke (Jedi-black robes)
    3. Royal Guard
    4. Biker Scout
    5. Ewok (this may be a specific one -Wicket- or a generic one)
    6. Lando (general)
    7. Lando (Skiff guard)
    8. Leia (slave)
    9. Jabba (If not too big)
    10. Gammorean Guard
    11. AT-ST driver
    12. Han (Endor)
    13. Luke (Endor)
    14. Leia (Endor)
    15. Rebel Commando
    16. Admiral Ackbar
    17. Moff Jerjerrod (Death Star II's officer in charge) or a generic Imperial officer
    18. Admiral Piett
    19. General Madine
    20. Darth Vader battle damaged-face reveal (either a small removable helmet to show Anakin underneath or just without the helmet at all)

Here's the Possibles for the prequel sets (Basing it off the fact that there not be equal sets for the three prequels. Only a few preview figs will be released from EPIII)

The Phantom Menace:
    1. Qui-gon Jinn
    2. Obi-wan
    3. Yoda
    4. Mace
    5. Ki-Adi Mundi
    6. Queen Amidala
    7. Captain Panaka
    8. Jar Jar Binks
    9. Boss Nass
    10. OOM-9 (Commander Battle droid)
    11. Darth Sidious
    12. Darth Maul
    13. Battle Droid
    14. Destroyer Droid
    15. Naboo royal security (mustard and brown uniform)
    16. Anakin
    17. R2-D2
    18. C-3PO
    19. Captain Tarpals
    20. Gungan Warrior
    21. Watto
    22. Sebulba
    23. Nute Gunray
    24. Naboo Pilot (Maybe Ric Olie)
    25. Naboo Royal guard (Red uniform with silverish helmet)
    26. Senator Palpatine
    27. Padme (Tatooine)

Attack of the Clones:
    1. Aayla Secura
    2. Obi-wan
    3. Anakin
    4. Clonetrooper
    5. Chancellor Palpatine
    6. Red Battle Droid
    7. Super Battle Droid
    8. Geonosian Warrior
    9. Poggle the Lesser (Leader of the Geonosians)
    10. Count Dooku
    11. Luminara Unduli
    12. Barris Offee
    13. Kit Fisto
    14. Clone trooper Commander (Yellow markings)
    15. Clone trooper Captain (Red markings)
    16. Padme (white outfit from Geonosian arena)
    17. C-3PO
    18. Jango Fett
    19. Boba Fett
    20. Lama Su (Kamino Prime Minister)
    21. Zam Wessell
    22. Captain Typho
    23. Battle Damaged Anakin (with Gold robotic arm)
    24. Yoda with lightsaber
    25. Representative Binks
    26. Saesee Tiin
    27. Shaak-TI

EPIII preview figures:
    1. General Grevious
    2. Obi-wan
    3. Anakin
    4. New Clone/Storm trooper
    5. Emperor Palpatine
    6. Neimoidian Warrior

Now these are just guesses, but I'd imagine many of these will be made. Guess we'll have to wait for the official word.

So who NOT on the lists above would you like to see made as a minifig?
    Bearing in mind they should play an important role. I highly doubt the one second on screen characters will be made.

-Sal

3. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I would agree with you last statement, but I think that WOTC will be releasing movie themed expansion packs that would need to have a balance of one second characters and big name (or maybe just different versions of them)

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    There better be a Wedge one that's all I gotta say.

5. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Terry, if not and they come out with an X-wing pilot or Luke X-wing pilot, you can just paint the helmet and call it Wedge.

6. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Wedge is slated for expansion pack #74: "Characters We Didn't Include On Purpose So That We Can make Even More Money With This Expansion"

If they don't include a Ben Quadrinaros figure who wants to help me create him with a marshmellow?

7. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    You could use the diamond shaped marshmallow from Lucky Charms cereal. Heh heh.

8. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Much too small!

9. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    If their anywhere near the size of HeroClix, then that marshmallow would be fine. Add in the legs and arms and he would of course get bigger.

10. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Ok, I will use the diamond fromlucky Charms!

11. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Heh heh, I'd like to see that...

12. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Here's the latest from the Official site:

http://www.starwars.com/gaming/other/rpg/news20040614.html

Or just read here:

Size Matters Not: Star Wars Miniatures
    June 14, 2004

Play out the battle between good and evil on your tabletop with the new Star Wars Miniatures Collectible Miniatures Game. This September, Wizards of the Coast will be releasing the Star Wars Miniatures Rebel Storm Starter Kit and Booster Packs for fans with fully assembled, prepainted plastic miniatures of characters from the Star Wars Original Trilogy.

The Star Wars Miniatures Rebel Storm Starter Set provides all the starting materials a player needs to become familiar with the brand-new Star Wars miniatures game. The miniatures in in the Starter Kit are randomized and playable right out of the box.

The Star Wars Miniatures Rebel Storm Starter Set contains 10 miniatures (eight randomized figures and two exclusive figures available only in the Starter Set), full-color stat cards for every figure, a game rulebook, 20-sided die, checklist for the Rebel Storm set, a fold-out battle grid, and eight terrain tiles.

The Star Wars Miniatures Rebel Storm Booster Pack includes seven fully assembled, prepainted plastic miniatures, including super-rare figures that are not available in the Starter Set, with a full-color stat card for each.

The Rebel Storm product line has a total of 60 unique pre-painted plastic miniatures built to standard hobby scale (32 mm). All miniatures packages are randomized and made up of figures of varying rarity. Miniatures can be used to play skirmish-level or mass-battle combat scenarios, to add dimension to Star Wars Roleplaying Game, and makes for a great collectible.

For more information regarding the Star Wars Miniatures Rebel Storm game, check back here tomorrow for an exclusive interview with the developers of the game!

13. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Here's a follow up report to yesterday's:

http://www.starwars.com/gaming/other/rpg/f20040615/index.html

or read it here...

Start copy and paste
    A Closer Look at The New Miniatures Game

June 15, 2004

Build Up Your Forces

As previously reported, Wizards of the Coast will be releasing the Star Wars Miniatures Rebel Storm Starter Kit and Booster Packs for fans with fully assembled, prepainted plastic miniatures of characters -- on small, medium, and large bases -- from the Star Wars Original Trilogy this September to coincide with the Star Wars Originally Trilogy DVD set.

Bill Slavicsek, Director of Roleplaying and Miniatures Games R&D at Wizards of the Coast, played a pivotal role in bringing Star Wars fans into the next realm of roleplaying games.

"When we decided to enter the world of prepainted plastic for our Dungeons & Dragons miniatures, we immediately knew we wanted to take Star Wars into that same realm," Bill Slavicsek says. " The goal for the Star Wars miniatures is to create a line of figures that fans will want to collect, competitive players will want to use in head-to-head games, and roleplayers will want to use in their adventures. We want to appeal to all three activities -- collecting, battling, and re-creating scenes from movies and adventures. The scale and the level of detail that we invest into our miniatures has never been applied to Star Wars before, and we think that by combining the two we'll have a product that will appeal to fans and players on many different levels."

Fans already schooled in the d20 Game System mechanics of the Star Wars Roleplaying Games will find the Star Wars miniatures game a way of expanding their current games -- either as a supplement or as a stand-alone activity.

"The d20 Game System works best on the tactical level, with physical representations for the player characters and opponents," Slavicsek explains. "Star Wars RPG players will find a mix of well-known characters and more generic figures from which to draw their own player characters. In addition, the rules they learned for the RPG are the same rules used for the battle game. When you can't get your entire group together for an adventure, or if you just want to battle it out with lightsabers and blasters for an afternoon or evening, the Miniatures Game makes for a great diversion."

Another key player in the release of the Star Wars Miniatures Game, Mary Elizabeth Allen, Miniatures Brand Manager at Wizards of the Coast, agrees with Slavicsek.

"Ask anyone -- not just roleplayers -- what Star Wars is, and you'll find that the question evokes strong imagery in the mind's eye, from flashing lightsabers and stirring battle scenes to droids, vehicles, and iconic characters," Allen says. "The Star Wars Miniatures game allows this visual imagery to take 3-D form, but at a manageable level. For those who roleplay in the Star Wars universe, this third dimension makes their roleplaying experience even more authentic and immersive."

For fans who have never played an RPG before, the Star Wars Miniatures Game may be easier to enter than most roleplaying games on the market.

"Whether you're using them as a roleplaying game accessory or as pieces in the competitive game, miniatures are extremely user-friendly," Slavicsek says. "New players have a solid, physical representation to latch on to, and the miniatures are so cool and detailed that they help bring the game to life. The Miniatures Game in particular is geared toward beginning players as the rules are much more streamlined and easy to understand than the more detailed and comprehensive roleplaying game rules. For people unfamiliar with hobby games, the Miniatures Game looks and plays more like a traditional board game, which also adds to the ease and comfort level of beginning players."

However, seasoned players who wish to be challenged in their game play may find a few surprises with the Star Wars Miniatures.

"The Star Wars Collectable Miniatures Game features a depth of play and a wealth of choices that make

14. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Besides, what happens next year when after the movie, SW dies down?
    My thoughts are Ep3 will carry high interest for at least a year or two. We know there will still be toys til what? 2008 or so at the very least.
    I remember when Heir to the Empire came out of nowhere. It'd been close to 10 years since SW was in the public eye and then BAM! It was everywhere again. As long as we're here, it'll never die down :)
    I'm probably not going to try for a full set of these aside from the money, they'll be a pain to store. cases=more $$. I'm sure I'll collect the characters I like at least.
    Did everyone catch the figures on "small, medium and large bases" part?? AT-ATs maybe? :) I've seen some of the bigger Clix pieces and they rock.

15. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    OK, I just saw a promo for this stuff on the front page of TFN. Sal, can you work your collecting mojo and find out if this is an actual promo piece or if it is just an advance of the actual line. Only reason I ask is that on the 2nd card image it has "53/60" on the bottom.

16. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Well, from looking at the further description, the author mentions the peice has "Origins 6/04" on the base. One could taek this to mean it was an exclusive at Origins which happened earlier this month in Ohio. If this is the case then it might be reak hard to find that particular miniature. I'll look into it further and report back when I have any info one way or the other.

This is the first I've heard of this as well. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

-Sal

17. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Anyone want to bet me that even if that figure is an "exclusive" that it will be available to buy when the rest of the line comes out?

18. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    My guess is that this piece will be in the regular set, but the promo will say Origins 04 on it.
    If it was going to be exclusive Con-only fig I think they'd have done something more impressive to stir up interest that a MonCal merc, no?
    :)

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    The miniatures are now in Gamestop's computer system with a ship date of August 16th! Most of the info below is already known.

"The SW Miniatures Rebel Storm Entry ($19.99) pack has all the starting materials a player needs to play. The Entry Pack draws from the first set of figures which features creatures and characters from the classic era of Star Wars (Episodes IV, V, VI) films.

Includes:
    * 12 Randomized Miniatures with Statistics cards
    * Rare, Common, & Uncommon Mimi's
    * Complete Basic Rulebook
    * 20-sided Die
    * Checklist for the set
    * Terrain mapsheet and Terrain cards.

SW Minitures Rebel Storm Expansion Pack ($12.99)
    - composed largely of the same randomized minitures foundin the Entry Pack. Expansion pack includes super-rare figures not available in the Entry Pack. Six miniatures with statistics cards. There are 60 miniatures in the set.

20. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Here's that site I mentioned finding:

http://members.cox.net/ghenghis_ska/

21. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Thanks Shewski. Some good stuff to find there and some of the links lead to better info.

22. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Rebelscum has some good photos of al of the mini's. Photos were taken at the San Diego Comicon.

Here's the link:

http://rebelscum.com/gallery/sdcc04/swmini/default.asp

VERY COOL, IMHO

I'm back to really looking forward to these again.

-Sal

23. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    The sets go on sale today! Starter sets are $19.99 and booster seem to range from $10.99-12.99 from what I've been told.

Here's a link that shows the Common, Uncommon, Rare and VERY Rare list of each specific minifig.

http://www.kennertoys.com/stuff/checklist.jpg

Looks like the bigger ones are the VR ones. (Jabba, Wampa Commando on Speeder Bike for example)

Let's get to buying these folks!

Also, since these ARE now on sale, for those of us who will be collecting/playing the game, let's have a trading session at the next meeting. (OT DVD release at Tina and Stacie's)

-Sal

24. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Cool. I might buy some tomorrow to see what they are like.

25. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I was able to get a starter and booster set Friday. Still reading through the rules book. Some things a relatively similar to Epic Duels as well as SW:RPG.I don't see these games being short whatsoever, so I don't imagine we could use this for Interclubbal play. (Though we could use most of the minifigs for custom decks in Epic Duels-something I had hoped for).

The starter set was $19.99 and the boosters were $12.99. In the Starter set you get 2 exclusive mini's and 8 others, plus the rulebook, damage counters, fold out map to play on and some additional smaller "room" maps.

There's a lot to learn about this game, but I think between some of knowing the SW:RPG game and Epic Duels, we should be ablt ot pick up on this fairly quickly. I totally recommend just following the rulebook for now before we even consider making up "club rules". There's enough to learn in the rules anyway before we start adding to them.

The game looks like it will be fun though. The figs are decent in sculpt and paint job. For their size, they are accurate depictions of the characters that they represent.

After looking at the laying maps, I KNOW I'll be designing alternates to play on. The one included in the starter set is of the Death Star. I've already got ideas and some rough sketches for the following "boards" since just Friday, they are:
    Hoth Rebel base
    Cloud City
    Endor

The next three will be for the second set that deals with the prequels. If one of them is the same as what will come in the starter set then I'll remove it from the list. These are:
    Naboo plains
    Theed (Naboo Capital City)
    Geonosis Arena
    Geonosis battlefield
    Geonosis Droid Foundry

Well, I really hope some of you decide to get this game. I think we can have alot of fun with this. I'm going to talk with several of the shops that sell these and see if they want to have tournaments for this, or at the least would host an event for us to play at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.