main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST SW Saga Film Traditions Not Followed In The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by IKilledSifo-Dyas, Dec 21, 2017.

1. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Broom Boy looks out across the stars in a way that is sort of like how episode 2 and 5 end but in 2 and 5 it was 2 people looking out into the distance/the future. And to be honest it more an allusion to the binary sunset.

2. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Hasn't EVERY SW movie followed the same formula, with rehashed story ideas, re-used lines/quotes etc....and don't get me started on the big round planet destroying machines that have shown up in how many SW movies???????

3. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Two people can both have all the same ingredients but that still doesn’t mean both will bake the perfect cake.

4. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

There have been exactly two SW movies that haven't featured either a) a death star or b) a large space battle against a spherical space station.

TESB and TLJ

Julius Vernon likes this.
  5. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    The primary protagonists in the OT and PT (Luke and Anakin, respectively) have inner battles with themselves. While Rey has a little of this, the primary inner struggle belongs to Kylo.

I am kind of enjoying the inversion.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Since this is the middle chapter of the trilogy, nobody lost an appendage, although you could make the case for Snoke's bisection.

7. Darth Ewok

Darth Ewok Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2016
    Being an enjoyable film first and foremost. TLJ if nothing else is the most boring Star Wars film.

8. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    Can we keep this thread on topic please? It's supposed to be a discussion about traditional SW story elements missing from TLJ, not elements you feel were "copy & pasted" from the OT. If you want to vent your hatred of TLJ, I believe there is already a thread for that.

Thanks.:)

Anyway, good call on those who said the Wilhelm scream. I do not remember hearing it in the movie.

Julius Vernon and yanote like this.
  9. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    BB-8 says "I have a bad feeling about this" and Leia agrees with him. Its scripted, but i thought it was lame since it wasn't remotely obvious.

DBPirate likes this.
  10. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I'm not positive on this since I've only see the movie once. But I think this is the first SW film where no one is killed by blaster fire, of the hand held variety. There's a few stun shots, rose's shot that deflects off phasma, and a few FO troopers shooting at BB8 in the walker, but that's about it I think.

It's also the first SW film with a "false" ending. You think it's gonna end with the falcon shot when the music swells, but then there's the extra scene with the broom boy.

In terms of trilogy "symmetry", it's the first time the 2nd film in a trilogy didn't have a love theme written by Williams.

DBPirate likes this.
  11. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    Here's a video listing a lot of easter eggs and call backs in TLJ

12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Did TFA have the bad feeling line? Also, twice now no amputations, unless it happens penned to a PG. Oh, and Snoke’s left hand.

13. 2old2Bhere

2old2Bhere Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 8, 2014
    Lets clarify. In the E1-6 there are two Deathstars. If were talking 'themes' im not including R1 or the ST for this response.

In E1-6 Luke and Anakin are shadows of each other so some of the main story lines needed to be similar to echo each other so as to portray the different forks they took along the same path. This is an over arcing plot devise to show the difference in decisions made by Anakin vs the ones made by Luke. Anakin primarily made selfish choices whereas Lukes were not. Even the right hand getting cut off is a symbolic connection between Anakin and Luke. When others lose their right hand this is a call to the audience that "hey, this is important". And it was. At the end of RotJ Luke cutting off Vaders right hand is that moment that stopped him from being seduced by the darkside and even turned Vader to the light.

There are so many themes like this. For example, like all the opening ships in the PT were Republic ships and Anakin turned evil, whereas all the OT opening ships were the Empire and Luke remained good.

There is a "point" to this and its more than just doing things for the sake of doing things.

Its hard to figure out what the ST is doing because were still missing a whole movie but right now, there seems to be no rhyme or reason and they may just be abandoning these things in an attempt to limit the "lucas effect" on Star Wars.

14. Mandalore464

Mandalore464 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 3, 2011
    Not sure those are actual typos or due to some kind of auto-correct function, but I love it.

15. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

If we can't hear the line, it doesn't count. It doesn't matter to me and didn't affect my enjoyment of the film but having a robot beep-boop the line or an alien say it in a language we don't understand is not the same thing as having a character speak "I have a bad feeling about this." It's too clever by half.

Rhyoth likes this.
  16. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Technically, Snoke does get his hand cut off when he gets bisected. You can see his left hand still sitting on the armrest of the throne.

This made me very happy. :p

Jedi Knight Fett and Pensivia like this.
  17. JoDark

JoDark Jedi Master

May 21, 2005
    Hmm, I think the Wilhelm scream has been placed inside the sound effect of when Kylo slashes with his lightsaber at Luke in their fight.

TOASTEROVEN and Dagobah_Dude like this.
  18. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003

Han says it when he hears the sound of the Rathtars being released by Rey:

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  19. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I find it interesting I was so into the movie that none of the little touches I always thought were so very important were scarcely missed at all at least by me.

RavagerFish likes this.
  20. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    how do you know? Did you do a poll or something?

21. DARTH_small_paw

DARTH_small_paw Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson both broke the tradition of closing on an operatic group shot of our heroes as the music swells. JJ elected for the helicopter spinning shot of Luke and Rey was okay (would have preferred a more objective, stable shot), but Rian's decision to close on the face of a complete nobody (who is a hokey, self-aware, reflection of the audience) was just ridiculous and lazy AND a break with sacred tradition.

DBPirate likes this.
  22. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    The most glaring tradition they flushed was competent storytelling

23. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    This.

It’s self-aware of how much we all know Star Wars and then sets the table in order to better then use our expectations against us and pull the rug out from all of us who know it well and also new fans.

One of the reasons the father twist worked so great on audiences in Empire was because audiences are so accustomed to revenge myth tropes and thought they’d been watching a movie where the hero would eventually meet the man who killed his father and avenge him.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The first movie where the Jedi Master refuses to do his duty outright (and until the end of the movie).
    Also the first one where a Jedi contemplates killing someone in their sleep (to the point of igniting the lightsaber).

25. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    The only thing in this film I would argue was a "Rehash" was the throne room scene.
    I confess to nearly face palming when I heard them quote ROTJ nearly word for word.

But it's a miner complaint in the long run. Beyond that, I don't see TLJ as a rehash of the OT any more than AOTC was.
    To me there is a very clear difference between mirroring and a rehash.

BB8 definitely said "I have a bad feeling about this", and it even makes sense in the context of the scene (Leia concurring with him immediately afterwards. Perhaps it could have been more obvious but I don't mind.)

The lack of star destroyers in the beginning didn't bug me as indicated in the OP this is hardly the only film to lack that opening.

The lack of lightsaber dual was disappointing, but it shifted the mold I suppose. And the 'vision fight' was clearly a stand in for the traditional dual.

And I honestly don't pay attention to which way the camera pans.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017