FF:WA SW thread: Worst movie and why??-had to do this.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ghost-of-Spider, Mar 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Knight

star 3
    ROTJ:
    1. I waited 6 years to see what I saw before.
    2. 5 min talk for the skywalker history and all the secrets.
    3. Ewoks-geez I hate them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    4. Creative fatigue-the whole movie stunk of it.
  2. Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Master

star 4
    Worst Star Wars movie? Hmmm, that would have to be The Phantom Menace. Crappy plot, dumb ideas, FX overload, cheesy dialogue, butchered soundtrack, need I go on?

Anakin's age - I don't know what drugs George was smoking when he decided a 9 year old should be chasing a 14 year old. All I can say is I want some of whatever he was on. It might convince me it was a good idea.

Trade Federation blockade - You mean to tell me that the greatest sci-fi saga kicked off because of a tax dispute? Yeah, okay, I'm intelligent enough to look beyond that and see that there was more to it than that, but why weren't the characters? I know it's fiction, but a good fiction plot has characters with more than 2 dimensions.

I'll be back later with more.
  3. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Quite honestly I don't have a preference. I like them all about the same. I couldn't pick one I like more or less than the rest. I don't see them as individual movies. They're all part of the same story to me. For me I guess it could be like trying to decide whether I prefer The Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers or Return of the King. To me they're all the one story - Lord of the Rings. I see the Star Wars movies in a similar way. Having said that, there are several points in some of the movies I might have preferred if they'd been done differently but that might be better for another thread. Guess I should start one.
  4. Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Knight

star 3
    That's cool, so Soneil what chapter in the story do you like least??
  5. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    The Holiday Special!
  6. Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Knight

star 3
    That is a diplomatic answer if ever there was one :)
  7. Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooh, there are some people who consider the Holiday Special to be the Holy Grail. I'm not one of them.
  8. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    It's good for a laugh.
  9. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    I think of them as one movie also. Maybe you should wait until Episode 2 & 3 are done then I might tell you. I know, its fair wait! :)
  10. Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not a huge wait, if you have already waited thus far ;)
    It is a book-start, middle and end. But like most stories some parts are better than others.(But the whole story is, so far great)
  11. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    How ever I do have a grudge. ROTJ is still my favorite movie, but I HATED in the special editions how they change the music, especially in the end scene with the ewoks. :mad:
  12. Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't mind that so much, I'm still a sucker for the Yub-yub song at heart, but the new ending isn't too bad. What really boils my blood about the SEs is the way Palpatine's scream is dubbed into TESB when Luke takes a header down the shaft in Cloud City.
  13. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice to see some other folks who liked the yub nub song. I also don't really mind the ending too much but I really wish they didn't change it. One part that has me scratching my head is - why oh why did they have a big musical number in Jabba's palace. People think Jar Jar was unneccesary and annoying but that segment!
  14. Stinky_jawa Jedi Master

star 4
    The worst film? hmmm, that would have to be "Caravan of Courage" a star-wars based movie that involves kids and ewoks...
    anyone else seen it? if not, rent it today for a good laugh
  15. Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, the jawa has a point! The reason TPM was so bad, was that after (some even during) RotJ, Lucas went on a kids film acid trip with the SW galaxy - the two (yep, count 'em folks - two!) Ewoks movies, Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor are proof of this.
  16. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I've seen Battle for Endor and thought it was pretty good. Haven't found Caravan of Courage yet though. :(

Has anyone got those cartoons adventures as well, the ones with C3PO and R2D2 in them. I think there is a ewok one as well, I wouldn't mind seeing them.
  17. Ethane Jedi Padawan

Boy, this is sure a thread I can get my teeth into.

1. (for Ghost-of-Caesar) The relationship age difference between Anakin and Amidala is a necessary one because of the fact that Anakin looks on Amidala as a kind of surrogate mother. And besides that, my wife is five years older than me, so does that make me weird for chasing a woman around that was fourteen when I was nine?

2. Caravan of Courage was cool, although a little bit kiddy. Battle for Endor was pure cheese and crackers. And yes, there was an Ewoks cartoon, it's main character was wicket, the Ewok that befriends Leia in ROTJ.

3. The holiday special is a vague memory, but from my recollection most of the cast members were drunk att he time of filming anyway.

4. I would have to say that, as good as it was, TPM was a little too scientific in it's explanation of the force for my taste. I thought that the force was meant to be "something that surrounds us, is inside of us, that made up the living galaxy" not some little midi-chlorian that rushed through our blood, either Obi-Wan forgot about the Midi-Chlorians in A New Hope, or someone has just created the worst continuity problem in history (besides Clark Gable's wrist watch in gone with the wind)

5. The awards ceremony at the end of A New Hope was cheese, pure and simple, no need for it. They could have just ended it with them landing and everyone celebrating, besides, CHEWIE didn't get a medal (that blew)

Anyway, thats my rant for this thread. Sorry if I have caused offence, but these are the things that I think are a little skew whiff with the four movies to date. But like Soneil said, its like a book, some good bits, some bad, and with Star Wars I can cope with what little of bad there is for the sake of a good family drama/saga

18. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey, I remember seeing those two movies, and I loved them when I was younger - it was the Ewoks I must admit. If anyone has a copy that I could borrow, it would be great. I've been chasing around for them (sort of) and I really want to watch them again.
  19. Grizzly Jedi Master

star 4
    Chewie ended up getting a medal... a bit late tho... there was a segment on the MTV awards a few years ago where Carrie Fisher ended up presenting Chewies' medal to him. Somehow they managed to drag the original costume out and dusted Peter Mayhew off as well :)
  20. Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, I take right of defence for my comments earlier.

Age difference doesn't matter when you're an adult. Both parties are capable of making informed and mature decisions about what they want from a relationship. So Ethane, unless you were chasing your wife when you nine and she fourteen, no, that's not weird at all (and that concept, BTW, offends my moral sense - a 9yo chasing a 14yo, that is). I am assuming that you are at least 18, and more likely in your mid 20's.In the case of Anakin and Amidala, he's flirting with her before he leaves and needs a surrogate (and besides, Qui-Gon fills the role of the missing parent anyway - until he becomes meat on a lightsabre - then Obi-Wan takes over). If you are to believe any rumours about Episode 2, they don't see each other for ten years. Let me compare this to a real world situation - would you have been chasing a girl five years older than you when you were nine? Didn't think so. When I was nine, I was more interested in playing soldier games with the neighbourhood gang. Women weren't of any interest until I was in high school. My sister (who was 15 at the time of TPM's release) was interested in boys, but only a boy the same age as her. The same applied to most of her friends.

Basically, I can buy the age difference thing, I even don't disapprove, but I do disapprove of making it so that the scenario is totally unrealistic (which it is). Anakin is portrayed as a mummy's boy in TPM - fair enough. If he's a mummy's boy at nine, he's still going to be a mummy's boy at 14 or 15. A technical whiz racing pods at nine? Not believable, even conceding the fact that it is fictional. That's like having a nine-year-old winning the F1 Grand Prix.

My whole point here is that Anakin age angle is not believable, which is what a good film should be. One should not have to suspend belief to enjoy the film. I was always thought (and this very debatable) that a good film should be done so that it could plausibly happen - this is where the OT succeeded. I was convinced that although a complete wrk of fiction, it could have happened a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. Lucas publicly admitted to having considered Anakin being older during the casting process. And this was after the release. All I can say is thank the Maker that Episode 2 is set ten years later.
  21. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Nat. Our video library has both of those ewok movies.
  22. Stinky_jawa Jedi Master

star 4
    Quick! rent em and dub em down.. must have all SW's related films.. on second thoughts better not...
    to me, caravan of courage mixed the 2 most annoying things i could think of.. kids and small fury animals.. both are initially cute, but a story revolving around them? if i wanted that, i would go see never-ending-story (which strangely is over in 90mins or so)
  23. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Steve, you are my saviour! Can I please borrow them sometime, cause I really want to watch them. I did have a dubbed copy of Battle of Endor, but someone stupidly taped over it!
  24. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Give me a call and let me know when you want them. We got them out for the kids one time and we watched them too. I had seen Caravan of Courage when I was young but I'd never seen the other one. In Battle for Endor I thought it was a bit much to have Wicket speaking and I thought his modified eyes were freaky.
  25. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    What was that about freaky modified eyes? [face_devil]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.