main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Timeline Gold & ChronoRadio Announcements

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nathan PTH, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    I would imagine so. I haven't read those in quite a while, but I always had the feeling that the Fall of Coruscant was quite soon after the very end of the Thrawn Campaign. If I remember correctly, I was actually surprised at how much time was given over to Isard's Revenge in between.

2. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Qui-Gon's knighting in 74 BBY is still conjecture - that is the earliest point he could be knighted at from Legacy of the Jedi, but not an absolute date.

3. Melda

Melda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    Point to correct:

Just under the heading 18.85 ? 18 BSW4 there is the following date repeated quite a bit: "16:5:241".

I'm guessing that's either 16:5:24 or 16:5:21?

4. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    I'd have to doublecheck, but I seem to recall that, for some reason, the original source somehow used "241" instead of a two-digit number in that slot. I remember thinking that was really bizarre.

Oh, and for those who also listen to ChronoRadio . . .

ChronoRadio #30 (Alternate Worlds) is now available. It features guests Robbie Chastain (Star Wars and Beyond) and the duo of Arnie and Marjorie Carvalho (Star Wars Action News).

5. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    A brand new edition of the Star Wars Timeline Gold (#42) is now available, fresh for 2007.

6. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Sweet. As always, thanks for the hard work. Finally was able to get around to reading the Kyle Katarn tales issue you did, as well. Bravo!

- Keralys

7. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Glad you enjoyed it.

Be sure to check out the February 1 edition of ChronoRadio when it comes out. There'll be a contest in there for a signed copy of the photo cover variant. Sadly, you JUUUUUST missed the deadline for the trivia contest for the signed art cover variant, as that ended with December.

8. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Interesting. I'll definitely be sure to keep an eye out for that, as I'd love to have it. :)

- Keralys

9. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    (It's a tad early but . . . )

ChronoRadio #31 has now been released. Two to go!

10. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Say, Nathan, have you had a chance to flip through Allegiance yet? I already finished and suffice to say... I think it's going to cause some compression problems for the post EIV era. Just a little heads up for you.

11. Merlyn_Gabriel

Merlyn_Gabriel Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Nathan: I just have 2 words for you.

You rock!

thanks for all the hard work. You make writing fan fic for SW and keeping the time line straight so much easier.

Many heart felt thanks!

-merly

12. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Merly: I'm glad my pursuit has been of some use to you. I'll keep 'em coming. ;)

Matt: Actually, I have only read a tiny bit. I'm reading a LOT right now.

- At work, during quiet reading time for the students, I'm reading David Simon's "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets."

- At home, as I am able, I'm reading MM's "Gone with the Wind."

- At home, other times, I'm reading "Exile."

- I'm reading through "Allegience," but only as I'm able within the scope of the others. Just don't care about the story yet.

- I'm supposed to be reading "Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon" for the "Star Wars Action News Book Club Podcast," but haven't started. Oops.

13. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    If you happen to follow ChronoRadio, the last "regular" episode is now available (CR #32). The finale will be released on May 16.

14. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    And . . .

That's a wrap.

I have just completed work on the final episode of ChronoRadio. The episode clocks in at just under 55 minutes, a nice little endcap to the series.

I hope you'll enjoy it when it arrives in about 32 days.

And now, my creative attention shifts . . .

15. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    The time has finally come . . .

The final episode of ChronoRadio is now available.

You can find it on starwarsfanworks.com, as always, but you'll now find the series under the "ended" category of radio shows.

This is Special Edition #4, the Series Retrospective.

Thanks for a great five years of listenership.

16. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    Thank you and your incredibly motivated fandom for five years of the best made SW fan raio show out there [face_peace]

17. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Thanks for the . . . thanks . . . Brooks. :)

Also, a heads-up:

The next edition of the SWT-G should arrive on Friday, June 8.

Also, if you're caring about following my recent convention appearance at ConCarolinas 2007, keep an eye at starwarsfanworks.com. My remaining podcast, "The Butlerniverse," is airing four segments from ConCarolinas. This past Tuesday (yesterday) saw the release of an episode with an interview with Peter Schweighofer. Next Tuesday will be the Heroes panel recording, then podcasting the following Tuesday. The last Tuesday of June will feature the Star Wars panel.

18. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    And . . . The Star Wars Timeline Gold #43 is now available for download.

19. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    Great interview with Peter, some nice stuff.

20. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Glad you enjoyed it. I'll have the Heroes panel up late tonight.

I plan to spend today working a ton on the 10th Anniversary SWT-G, assuming I can stay conscious. Twas a loooooooooooooooong night. : collapse :

21. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Hello Nathan,

Thank-you for another excellent Timeline Gold update! =)

However I'm here to ask for your opinion on something.

Now, I was attempting to reconcile the old 10-month calendar's feature of three individual holidays spread out in the year with the 'national' holidays used by the New Republic (and the Empire before that, and the Old Republic before that --- of course with each government using different names for the holidays, e.g. "Supreme Chancellor's Day" becoming "New Order Day").

The solution is not exactly elegant, but I thought I would run it by you to gauge your opinion on its validity (while my solutions are non-canon I'm honestly not expecting any new material from Lucasfilm to directly contradict any dates that I work out, but I'm just seeing if you think my solutions follow any sort of logic or not).

First of all, this is my calendar of the 'galactic year'.

And the three holidays for the New Republic in question are Endor Day, Restoration Day, and Liberation Day.

Also, this is assuming that Return of the Jedi takes place half a year after The Empire Strikes Back, rather than a whole year.

Okay, Endor Day is a holiday celebrating the anniversary of the Rebel victory at the Battle of Endor, which presumably takes place in 39:3. I'm not going to pretend this is intentional, but it seems convenient (for my purposes) that 39:H1 is located just after 39:3 (and before 39:4). Would it be much of a stretch to assume that the New Republic would host a galactic celebration not exactly on the anniversary of the battle (out by a few weeks) for the sake of coinciding with a day in the year that galactic citizens are already used to celebrating as a holiday? If so, then Endor Day is sorted.

I'll come back to Restoration Day in a bit, but on to Liberation Day for now. Liberation Day is meant to celebrate the New Republic liberation of Coruscant from the tyranny of the Empire . . . now, my rough guestimations make it seem as though this event could have taken place around 41:9 (I really have to look into this further before feeling supremely confident with that date, but for the sake of argument let's assume I'm not completely wrong). 41:H3, another day citizens are accustomed to celebrating as a holiday takes place at the end of 41:9. So that could be a convenient coincidental placement for a slight fudging of the date of the true liberation in order to appease the masses who want their holiday at the same time it's been for years.

So those two seem to fall into place without any major injuries or insults to the timeline gods (I hope!), but Restoration Day is a bit more tricky. Now, I've come across two definitions for what this holiday is supposedly an anniversary of. The first (and this is the one I was working from) being that it is the anniversary of the formation of the New Republic (from the previous incarnation as the Alliance of Free Worlds) and the Declaration of a New Republic, and the second being that it is the anniversary of the dissolution of the Provisional Council which was replaced by the New Republic Senate on Coruscant in . . . 7 ABY, or something like that. I've tried locating specifics on when the Provisional Council was dissolved and the New Republic Senate was formed, to no avail. So . . . in the meantime, I'm working with the idea that maybe this holiday is an anniversary of the declaration of a New Republic. If so, this takes place "one month after the Battle of Endor". So . . . around 39:4. So this is the messy bit, if I want to make it analogous with 39:H2, which takes place between 39:5 and 39:6, which is quite a bit more than one month after Endor (more like two or two and a half).

So . . . the declaration of the New Republic isn't really very close to 39:H2,

22. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Just a note as to why I chose those three holidays as the holidays . . . conjecture from this article on Wookieepedia, which mentions them as possible festival days for the New Republic.

23. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    That seems fairly well reasoned out. However, the biggest issue would be the whole "let's drop the 10 month calendar" issue, which makes me wonder whether they even bother with separate holidays. (Hey, if they can retcon everything else . . . sigh . . . )

But, yeah, seems reasonable, I believe.

24. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Hmm . . . one thing I'm thinking of that might shoot my entire idea down in flames . . . is the sources that mention the three festival days . . .

Endor Day is "mentioned" in Spectre of the Past, but I'm not sure in what context. If they say 'last week', or 'a few weeks ago', or anything specific like that, then we'd have to check what what point in the year the story took place . . . to make sure it's not in the wrong part of the year, for example.

Same with Restoration Day, except that it seems to be more than 'mentioned' in Shield of Lies, and may actually be part of the narrative. So that would definitely be dependent on when the story occurs in the year.

And Liberation Day is apparently shown in Dark Tide I: Onslaught, but I cannot confirm that or check when it occurs myself, as I only own the Bantam-era books.

I'll check out Endor Day ('mentioned' in Spectre of the Past and Restoration Day (in Shield of Lies), but I have no way to confirm or check out the information about Liberation Day since I don't own the New Jedi Order series.

I'll check the books I do have, and cross-check that with the Timeline Gold in the hope that the NJO was organised enough to have numbers of days that passed (or at least some indication of passage of time, and where they stand in the year), such as the Legacy of the Force series seems to.

I also have something else to run by you (Thrawn Crisis-era), but that can wait until I check this out.

":)

25. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Well, good news, sort of, on the holidays front. :)

I checked through my copies of Spectre of the Past and Shield of Lies, and tracked down a copy of Onlaught, and the festival days do not occur within any of them.

Both Endor Day and Liberation Day are referenced as thoughts of characters who are watching everything light up during a battle, and likening it to fireworks celebrations during those holidays. And Shield of Lies has Ackbar quote an address Organa Solo made during Restoration Day, in order to convince her of a point he was making.

So hurrah! EU vagueness means that my unofficial New Republic/10-month calendar holidays hypothesis isn't directly contradicted anywhere. ;)

Anyway, onto the next issue I wished to discuss . . .

Righto, the following are a list of dates that I've made up certain events of the Thrawn Crisis as having happened. They're unofficial, and have no basis in fact, except that they are in the correct order (based on the books themselves, and the Timeline Gold) and in some cases specifics are mentioned, such as 'two weeks ago'. But for the most part these dates are purely fanciful fabrications without merit . . . and as a way of explaining their lack of reliability, I'm using them for an in-universe news source of the dates when the news is published, which means that the dates aren't necessarily the day that it happened (as the news service is based in the Outer Rim fringes, and so news could conceivably take different amounts of time to reach there, depending on the impact and import of the news). Also, not all items on this list aren't for use in the news service, but just to help me plan out when events (that the galactic public don't find out about) occur.

44:3:24 -- Battle of Obroa-skai
    44:4:21 -- Organa Solo and entourage attacked on Bimmisaari
    44:5:9 -- Bpfassh assaulted by Star Destroyers
    44:5:24 -- Jorus C'baoth rumours
    44:5:33 -- New Republic investigation force on Bpfassh attacked
    44:5?? -- Nkllon is raided for mole miners
    44:6:19 -- Battle of Sluis Van/Ackbar arrested (happened before the battle, probably, but news doesn't reach the military crews in the battle until afterwards)
    44:6:30 -- Thrawn! (Solo reports to the New Republic the name of the enemy Imperial commander, from which point I imagine most people would learn the fact)
    44:7:7 -- Honoghr (I'm not sure if Organa Solo discusses diplomacy with the Noghri, or if there's an attack on the place . . . I've forgotten for the moment, but here is the placement)
    44:7:16 -- Battle for the Katana Fleet
    somwhere in 44:7, 44:8 or 44:9? -- (Battle of Ord Mantell takes place sometime between here and the next battle at Nkllon)
    44:7:26 -- Battle at Saam
    44:7:34 -- Battle at Generis
    44:8:5 -- Battle at Atrivis
    44:8:9 -- Battle at Sheris
    44:8:16 -- Battle at Ukio
    44:8:29 -- Jacen and Jaina are born
    44:9:5 -- Mara Jade arrested on Coruscant
    44:9:12 -- Imperial forces destroy Calrission's city on Nkllon / Battle of Qat Chrystac takes place at the same time, General Bel Iblis and his fifteen-ship fleet (plus Rogue Squadron and Cracken Flight Group) withdraw from the battle at Qat Chrystac to respond to General Calrission's distress signal at Nkllon
    somewhere in 44:9 or 44:10? -- (Battle of Xa Fel takes place sometime between here and Bilbringi)
    44:9:20 -- Trogan (smugglers convene)
    44:9:28 -- Coruscant (cloaked asteroids in orbit)
    44:10:2 -- Bel Iblis/Mothma make-up
    44:10:7 -- Chazwa (smugglers convene)
    44:10:17 -- Battles of Wayland and Bilbringi

The reason I mention this, is because the Battle of Ord Mantell and the Battle of Qat Chrystac appear on Wookieepedia, but not in the Timeline Gold.

At first I was going to ask for clarification, but instead worked out the situation myself (I thought I'd messed up something, until I realised it was just these two battles not accounted for

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.