main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW unrealistic?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RAYNAR_THUL, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Stop and think about what you're actually seeing in a real-world dogfight when the fighters are in the gun range. It's not the bullet's themselves. It's the tracers. So useing that example, the colored light to the lasers is actually a tracer equivalent(spelling please).

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "And it is not that I really care about realism, its just that a sci-fic is ignoring science."

You can add any number of scientific ideas that are ignored. In addition to the ones already mentioned, the biggest lack of realism would be the concept of travelling faster than light. But I think looking for realism in science fiction is a good way to ruin the fun of reading it.

Amazing.

3. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    The thing we have to remember, the laws of physics we all are talking about apply to Earth. SW is a completely different Universe. Also keep in mind that the laws of physics can differ from place to place. For example, the effects of gravity are greater on Earth then on the Moon.

Besides, is it even worth having space battles if you can't see lasers or hear explosions? I think not. :D

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Also keep in mind that despite our knowledge of the laws of physics, we really don't know what the laws are. While they may not always change, every now and then it's discovered that physics as it is currently known at that time is only a small portion of a much greater field (unless the laws of the time are disproven in which case they are replaced.) As Star Wars is supposed to be more advanced than our current technological level, it may well be that the laws of physics used in Star Wars are yet to be discovered..

5. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    Also the sound in space thing was explained somewhere as sound synthesisers in the cockpits/bridges of the craft making the sounds of the carft as it travelled in astmosphere.

Aslo answers the question to why you can't hear large capital ships go past you in the Space Sims. :p

6. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    What about deep space illumination?...i mean...we occasionaly see these groupings of ISDs sitting about or pulling manuvers...all fully illuminated...in some scenes there is no star near by to shed light on them and yet they shine brightly...its even called attention to with the appearance of the executor as it creates a shadow upon an ISD...

7. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

...in some scenes there is no star near by to shed light on them and yet they shine brightly...its even called attention to with the appearance of the executor as it creates a shadow upon an ISD...

No reason why it wouldn't. Just because we didn't see a star that was producing the light, doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Besides, they have illuminate the models so people know what they are looking at instead of vague shapes.

In the CineFex issue on 2010, Richard Edlund admits that lighting Star Wars models was 'unrealistic', but since the you want to see the models in all they're glory, they were lit from all sides. As opposed to 2010 where ships were lit from one side - wherever the Sun was supposed to be relative to the ship in the shot. This created a lot of harsh shadows that was 'realistic'.

Originally, they would shoot, say a Star Destroyer, in front of a blue screen with a motion control rig and light sources. Once the shot was complete they'd wind the film back to the start point, turn off all the studio lights including the blue screen screen and shoot the exact shot again. This time the only light sources would be the individual window lights from the Star Destroyer. And the double exposed film looks just fine. It is my understanding the reason why they did this is because when you shot the ship with the blue screen and the running lights at the same time, you couldn't see them very well.

8. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    You think that's air you're breathing? Hmmmm...

9. Jag_Fel

Jag_Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    Well, it depends, if we're talking big capital ship turbolasers, then its not at all unrealistic. Considering that those shiips are often 100,000km+ away, it makes sense that lasers would take 1/3 of a second to get there. As for being able to see them, I'm not totally sure about the gas/plasma thing, (I think thats just there energy pack) but it would be a boring movie if you couldn't see the lasers!

10. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, the force is realistic.

I mean, I just see it as a stronger form of ESP really.

And there are stories of men who levitate and move objects,

In fact, many religions no longer in practice depends on such force like powers, as seeing the future and levitation.

So who knows.

I do believe in ESP and levitation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.