main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO SW Weekly Debate Thread!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MiracleMets22, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kancerman

kancerman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2004
    I heard somewhere that it's like GL went from mystical to Methodist :D

2. MiracleMets22

MiracleMets22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    Sorry for getting this week's topic out late

This week: What's your definition of canon? Most of the books? some? graphic novels? games?

3. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    if it's in one of the movies, it's cannon.

I like some of the EU, but it's basically glorified fan fiction. it's approved by lucas film or one of those other subsidiaries, but it's not actually from Lucas. I don't know how I'll feel about the tv series once it starts up yet, but I will probably accept that stuff as well. mostly because it will most likely have nothing to do with the skywalker saga.

4. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    According to the first issue of Star Wars insider: The only cannon materials are the movies, the novelizations, and radio dramas. All other sources are secondary. This is the one I agree with.

However, more recently, Lucasfilms has said that all the EU books are canon. I think they're idiots.

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Then cannon counterdicts itself.

I think the movies are the true cannon. The rest is fluff, good fluff, but fluff nonetheless. The way I see it, the OT chatacters lived happily ever after in the cannon world, then in the alternative universe the whole NJO think happened.

6. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    movies alone are canon

although I like a great deal of the EU stuff

7. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    Yep. Just the movies.

8. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    I can't ever get over this concept that one fictional story is somehow more real than another fictional story. Remember, the canon was never intended for public use; it's to keep things straight between the comissioned professionals creating stories.
    That being said, I stick to my test: If it's good, it's canon. If it sucks, chuck it!
    That lets me sleep at night.

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Remember, the canon was never intended for public use; it's to keep things straight between the comissioned professionals creating stories.

You talking in general literature or SW fiction?

10. MiracleMets22

MiracleMets22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    The meaningful thing about what's canon and what's not is what could used in timelines and such. I think it prevents whackos from going out and creating loads of crap that steers the characters in improbable directions. Canon makes a framework for us fans....heck, we're in a group that's centered on this fictional story. I think it's in our nature to debate canon.

11. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    FanFic is not canon. Regular SW EU Fiction is. Lucas approves it all anyways, and it's his world, so if he approves it, it's canon. :p I think the only thing he didn't care for was the fact that Boba Fett is in fact alive, and he escaped from the Sarlacc pit.

The movies are definitely canon...UNTIL HE CHANGES THEM!!! So, Hayden Christensen in ROTJ IS NOT CANNON!! Shaw is. That's my piece.

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Oh nooooooo, JCF just opened that can of worms! ::ducks::

13. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Lucas approves it all anyways

actually, he doesn't. he actually has extremely little to do with it. even if he approved everything, he would still only be approving a rough story line, not the final book.

I like what Jon said. if it's in the movies, novelizations, or offical radio dramas, then it sticks.

I mean, if lucas wanted, he could make an episode 7 in which Han, Luke, Leia, and all the other major players in the post-RotJ EU are killed. I think that would definitely prove that the EU is not cannon.

14. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    ...he would still only be approving a rough story line, not the final book.

But he's still approving something and stamping the title page with his Star Wars logo.

He made all of the main character decisions regarding deaths in the NJO. They were supposed to kill Luke in the first book, but he said no. They were supposed to kill Jacen instead of Anakin, but he said no.

I'd say he's approving a storyline. That makes it canon.

15. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I was bummed about killig Anakin too, I liked his character a lot more than Jacen's.

16. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Anakin was supposed to live, but Lucas's excuse was he "didn't want a lot of Anakins running around" in his universe.

I really liked the way he went. It wasn't a stupid death. It meant something. His death made more of an impact on me than Chewie's. Star by Star is still my favorite book to read because of everything that is in it. It's a very dark book... Kind of like ESB, but more action packed. ;)

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Both Star by Star and Vector Prime made me cry, which is saying a lot. I don't cry lightly. I guess cause I loved Chewie more than Anakin it was harder on me. I still like the post-ROTJ EU characters better than the Clone Wars EU ones. I guess I have known them longer. Still interesting.

18. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Books=comics=games=movies=Star Wars. There is no difference between any of them in my mind.

19. Sith-Kazar

Sith-Kazar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    As long as they don't conflict they work for me. When it comes to conflicts I go by this rule:

Movies > Books > Comics > Games

20. jedi-laurel

jedi-laurel Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2004
    I'm with Chiss_ Man on this, its all good to me. I love the comics and the books (sometimes even more than the movies).

21. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Ok Christian and Laura, what happens when the stories counterdict eachother. Which story do you pick?

22. jedi-laurel

jedi-laurel Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2004
    I look at the conflicts, in the same breath, of the infinities comics. A kind of "What if....scenario" Example, what if Luke turned to the dark side...in Jedi-the story then would have played out this way. I guess I am just not that much of a purist. I just love all that is Star Wars (except Phantom Menace.
    :D)

Edit: Woohoo!! I made the smiley face work! (I did mention I am not the most computer savvy.)

23. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Why don't you like the Phantom Menace Laura? That was much better than AotC.

Ok Christian and Laura, what happens when the stories counterdict eachother.

Playing devil's advocate Dajuan? ;)

Name one instance where the stories counterdict one another. And no, you can't say anything about the Glove of Darth Vader or anything like that. We know about those stories. ;)

24. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
    For me, the movie are the only canon.

I guess the Clone Wars cartoon and new live action series that is supposed to come out would also be canon.

While I enjoy many of the EU novels, I don't consider them canon.

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Playing devil's advocate Dajuan?

Well sure, this is a debate thread after all! Seriously I would like to know how other people resolve the cognative dissinonce between EU and the movies.

Name one instance where the stories counterdict one another. And no, you can't say anything about the Glove of Darth Vader or anything like that. We know about those stories.
    Owen being Obi-Wan's brother in early stories. The Stormtroopers all being clones when in the novels they are regular people. To name two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.