main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO SW Weekly Debate Thread!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MiracleMets22, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    I believe he was signing at CII.

2. jedi-laurel

jedi-laurel Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2004
    hey, at least you didn't call me scruffy lookin'.;)

3. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I think James Luceno is doing ROTS.

4. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Matthew Stover (Traitor, Shatterpoint) is doing ROTS. Seeing as I loved those two books, I have high hopes for the ROTS novel.

5. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Yep. Stover also said after reading the ROTS script he enjoyed the first two prequels more.So I guess it redeems the saga, so-to-speak.

6. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Stover's awesome! I loved Traitor and Shatterpoint.

Stover also said after reading the ROTS script he enjoyed the first two prequels more.So I guess it redeems the saga, so-to-speak.

:confused: Weird...

7. MiracleMets22

MiracleMets22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    My apologies for the incredible delay in topic posting. As Dajuan would say "Darth Real Life" interfered. A couple of major papers due in school this week and next, so as I have a free moment....

This week: What do you think of John Williams' scores between the Prequels and the Original Trilogy? Are they as good?

8. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
    I would say that the OT score is better than the PT.

Although I did enjoy the Duel of the Fates song from TPM.

But my favorite is the Imperial March.

9. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Yes, my fav is the Imperial March as well, followed by Duel of the Fates.

The OT soundtrack is better I think also. The Return of the Jedi soundtrack is the best. Just the track with the Luke and Vader Final Duel... That was one of the best scores for a scene in ANY movie.

The PT soundtracks are good too. TPM was great. AOTC wasn't all that good... I liked the Chase Through Coruscant track. But most of the good stuff was taken out... :( Also, AOTC used a LOT of stuff from TPM in the CD and movie. It was like Williams kind of got, well, not lazy, but that's the only word I can think of right now.

Can't wait to hear the ROTS soundtrack. It's going to be really good. I hope. Hopefully the duel between Kenobi and Skywalker will have new music, not reusing Duel of the Fates. Maybe something more like the Final Duel music in ROTJ.

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I liked the use of themes in the OT better than the PT. Maybe in RotS Williams will bring back more OT themes, like the Imperial March. I liked ESB music best because in the Carbon freeze chamber scene the March was so intense. Makes you feel so heavy, depressed and terrified.

The Vader-Luke duel in RotJ was pretty intense and was the Obi-Wan-Maul duel. In TPM, I didn't dig all the voices they used. I'd have prefered more tradtional SW instrumentals.

11. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    OK, first let me say Mr. Williams is my ALL-TIME favorite composer. That said:

John's style is to associate a certain piece with a specific character or situation. (The force has a theme, Leia has a theme, Yoda has a theme, Vader has a theme, etc.) These pieces are further incorporated into other pieces that involve that character/ situation. (Leitmotif.)

In the OT, it's a smaller scale of characters, narrowed down from the grand situation leading up to that point as presented in the PT. The prequels introduce us to a huge scenario of people and places that we are not familiar with. Therefore, the accompanying score is unfamiliar as well.

In maintaining this style, as the prequels progress, more and more of the score will "make sense" and as the drama leading up to "the duel" increases, so will the intensity of the score. He hasn't disappointed me yet!

12. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I think everything that needs to be said has been said. Except for one thing:

In the Coruscant chase, there's an electric guitar. Electric guitars do NOT belong in Star Wars soundtracks.

13. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    Like in Jedi Rocks? (Although I kinda dig the tune...Distorted harmonica is interesting!)

14. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I liked ESB music best because in the Carbon freeze chamber scene the March was so intense. Makes you feel so heavy, depressed and terrified.

Very true.

I didn't dig all the voices they used.

Dig? I haven't heard that term in a while... ;) LOL!

There was voices in the Arrival at Cloud City sequence.

In the Arena battle, so much TPM tracks were used... I didn't like it. The Yoda entrance/battle music was cool, wish they put it on the CD.

15. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Some good music in the PT but nothing beats the march!!! Or the sail barge music. I could go on LOL.

16. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I've liked all five movie soundtracks, maybe a slight edge to the OT.

17. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Yes, the Sail Barge music, named The Return of the Jedi, that was a great piece. Both versions. :D

18. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    Time for the next topic.

19. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    But nobody debated with me......... :(

20. MiracleMets22

MiracleMets22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    This Week's topic:
    Because of the stressful finals, holidays, parties, whatever....here is something that should be less serious, more fun...
    What would be your preference for a SW vehicle? Is a Imperial Star Destroyer better than a Mon Cal crusier?

21. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    Star Destroyers are DEFINITELY better. Mon Cal Cruisers have this "fishy" smell that no amount of stick-ups seems to get rid of.....

Actually, the Star Destroyer is MUCH more heavily armed (60 turbolasers, 40 point laser cannons, 60 ion cannons, and 10 tractor beams as opposed to the Cruiser's 48 turbolasers, 20 ion cannons, and 6 tractor beams.).

22. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    Star Destroyer definitely!

They are much more menacing.

But if I could have a choice, why not have a Super Star Destroyer!

The largest ship in the galaxy!

One of my favorite ships, next to the Falcon and X-wing.

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Ok I was totally going to say Star Desroyer, but now I have to be different. I'm gong Mon Cal. They have that organic look going for them. I'm sure the Mon Cal's serve seafood, and I really like seafood. I can see the Imp's serving protein sludge like in the matrix.

24. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Well, the Yuuzhan Vong ships had the organic thing working for them too Dajuan... ;)

I will have to say that the Imperial Star Destroyers, any model, are some of the best spacecraft ever created. Some days, I really wish I had one. Blow up the school, take care of some unfinished business, blow up the school's ashes... [face_laugh]

25. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I wanna paint mine yellow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.