main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Swag yo.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I have never been to a convention before, let alone a Star Wars convention, let alone even dreamed of the concept of FREE THINGS???

What kind of things do they have, or have had at past cons? Just so I have a guesstimate of what to expect.

2. wookieesrus

wookieesrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2009
    Here's a very good list of quite a few things. Some have prices, some are TBD, and some are free.

http://www.rebelscum.com/prec5-collectibles.asp

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    $125 for Mark Hammill's autograph? Why don't you just pick up some nice heels and a miniskirt from the local thrift shop and schmooze your way with him before/after he's working so you get it for free? Probably get his digitz too.

4. wookieesrus

wookieesrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2009
    Yeah my wife just about had a cow when I told her how much I was spending for his...and the others I'm getting as well :oops:

5. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Holy crap...that list made my head spin. Now I have to make a list of who I'm going to hit up first.

6. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Thats a great list! Now to make my schedule. What to go get, who to go see, what to go do! Cant forget autographs, autographs, autographs!!! Almost time!! :D

7. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    My current collection of pre-CV swag:

[image=http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4153/cvswag.jpg]

8. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Want!

9. Grog_StarKiller2

Grog_StarKiller2 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2007

10. chucknotsteve

chucknotsteve Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2010
    Neat! Where did you get that!?

11. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Now I can't divulge my LFL sources, can I? ;)

No actually I got them from various fellow fans.

12. chucknotsteve

chucknotsteve Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2010
    Very jealous. =P~

13. dustinroberts

dustinroberts TFN Content Manager star 1 VIP

Aug 23, 2001
    here's a bunch of stuff I scored from c4 -

[image=http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/1291/medium/C4_037.jpg]

[image=http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/1291/medium/C4_040.jpg]

[image=http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/1291/medium/C4_046.jpg]

[image=http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/1291/medium/C4_036.jpg]

14. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    Nice swag! One of these days I need to go through all my CIV stuff, there was just so much stuff! lol

Hope it's the same at this year's event. I want FRIDGE MAGNETS!

Martha

15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I scored about $500 worth of merch from the store after C4 closed. They had a bunch of stuff they didn't sell and so anyone with a Crew, Exhibitor, or other staff badge (I had a Crew badge as I volunteered for Official Pix) was given $2000 in credit at the C4 store after the show closed on the last day. I scored shot glasses, magnets, shirts, bandannas, etc. Needless to say, I'll be keeping an ear out for anything similar as I am volunteering again this year.

And no, you can't have my badge.

16. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    I had no idea there were such great perks to volunteering!

Oh I love those shot glasses...I wish they had those this year...they're very heavy, square, and with logo etched in...the pint glass is great too!

Martha

17. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Yup. I considered grabbing more, but my thoughts then turned to "How do I get this stuff back home without it shattering into a million pieces inside my bags?" so I just stuck with the shot glasses as those could be wrapped up in clothing without too much effort. I kept my loot pretty light as I wanted to get it all home along with my other stuff, so I mostly bought smaller things which wouldn't take up too much space in my luggage.

The downside is that I have no idea if they'll have such a glut of leftover merch this year that they'll resort to letting crew go for it after the show or not. I don't recall if GenCon ran the store last time of if it was LFL. If it was GenCon who did and Reed runs the store this year, they might not be so generous. On the other hand, if it is LFL and they have a surplus of merchandise, then they may let crew take a swing at it after the show. Even then, last time they didn't announce it to everyone, it spread by word of mouth and I only saw 2-3 dozen people there aside from store personnel.

18. lija

lija Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2002
    I was a volunteer for Official Pix at C4 and I didn't even know about that. The only one I knew about was the free Anthony Daniels autograph which I didn't get cause I was working the last shift on Sunday and he left early. :(

19. blacklodge

blacklodge Jedi Knight

Apr 18, 2005
    Interesting, I was there volunteering at the end, and was even around the store well after official closing and and never heard or saw anything about this. In fact this is the first Ive heard of it period. Sounds like not many availed themselves of this, I certainly would not call it a perk of volunteering. I notice a lot of people claiming different privledges that have happened in the past as being "perks" whereas the reality is that any or all of these "perks" may or may not occur in the future.

I did get my AD at C4, but at CJ I was soo freaking busy at the end I missed on Hamill who signed virtually a unlimited number of free graphs for crew/volunteers at the end of the last day. Luckily I worked beside him most of the earlier part of the day. :)

20. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    I agree with you about it not being an actual perk of volunteering. I wasn't expecting it at all and I only found out about it as myself and 2 other volunteer friends were going to dinner after the last day of C4 and someone else asked us if we were going there. As the buses were still running, we grabbed our badges and made a beeline on over to the LACC to see what was up, we didn't set out to get to it, we simply heard about it and found out that it was going on. Will it happen at CV? Doubt it, but it never hurts to talk to people on the last day and stick around for a bit afterward just in case. Part of me thinks that it was something GenCon did to get rid of excess merchandise and it may have been one of the grievances that LFL had with them as there was some money that GenCon owed LFL, I don't know. All I know is that it happened, very few people were there, and that I am not expecting it this time around, but I wouldn't be too surprised if something like it does end up happening again.

21. blacklodge

blacklodge Jedi Knight

Apr 18, 2005
    Heh cool. Yeah at first you think wow I can get sooo much stuff then you start saying, wow, what the hell am I going to do with all this crap and how do I get it back. I think I would have started handing it out ot the homeless in the area LOL. I wanted one of the parkas but even on the last day at 50% off, the XL still did not fit :) I think you are correct in that it pissed LFL off as they likely would

22. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I didn't even think about this! I talked to a Random House rep. last weekend at a book convention and she said "everything must go' we're not taking anything back with us" it might be like that for a lot of vendors, more money and man power in packing, shipping, storing re-sorting, etc.
    which I have to do, because ours is inventory.

23. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    That is very often the case. I've worked business conventions for work and towards the end of that last day everyone in every booth is trying to offload as much as they can. Don't want to have to pay to ship it back to HQ.

I've never known any exhibitor to have "just the right amount" of swag. They either run out on the first day or they are handing out piles of it to everyone (including other exhibitors) on the last day.

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I was at CE for all 3 days. On the final day (Sunday) the air conditioning was fried or something and it was hot and a lot of people left early. We wandered the hall and then repaired to a nearby pub to cool off. When we got back there was about an hour to go and people were packing up. I'd had my eye on a few collectibles that were too expensive at full price and managed to get them at knockdown prices. My big score was the RoTS Lithograph Set for £15.00.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.