main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA SWAP Poker night- UPDATED 4/19

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Shewski, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    When playing in a fun game of Epic Duels, I mentioned to Sal how Brian and I sometimes play texas hold em poker (the style on TV) and he was interested. Is anyone else interested in getting together at some point to play poker? Discuss, Discuss. =)

EDIT

What: SWAP Poker Night
    When: Friday, April 23rd. @ 7:30 PM
    Where: Terry's (Rox's) house... PM him for directions.

Who's In:
    Terry, Sal, Shewski ("host"), Zero, Brian, Fluke and his gal

Supplies- Sal can bring poker chips... we'll want 100 or so (varying values) for everyone there, so let us know if we need to get more chips. If Terry needs others to bring good decks of cards, he can let us know.

Everyone Else- Be a pal and bring some food/drink for our host! Post what you will bring.

Brian- Pretzels
    Mike- Doritos

We might go in for pizza from Terry's shop, so bring some money!

Things we need to decide on:

Buy-in
    Other Rules

See my latest post on page 3 for discussion.

2. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Well even though you already mentioned me, you know I'm in. (Do you play on weekends?) That's the best for me.

3. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    If I can make it I'll play. I have been watching a little bit of Texas Holdem on TV and it looks fun to play.

4. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Yeah, a weekend thing would be the best IMO. Sal also mentioned restricting it to adult members since there will be some more gambling involved. I'll see if there is more interest before nailing down a time, place, and more intimate details.

5. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    (Ah, the "politically correct" term is "gaming" not gambling) Ha ha, wouldn't want the authorities to think we were doing something bad, just having a fun nite, but with adult themes.

6. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... You know I'm totally down. I can't believe this didn't occur to me earlier. I think weekends would work for me, though most of my upcoming ones are kinda booked. If someone throws out a date, I'll see what I can do, though. I'd love to play.

Digs poker,
    Yours Truly

P.S. Props to Shewski for the idea!

7. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    I'm definatly in. Some friends of mine play poker all the time. Unfortunately, they are all at school now, so we don't get to play that much anymore. Although, I would be interested to know how much the buy in is, are we gonna play annty or blinds, no limit or or not, etc. Either way, I would love to play.

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm in. I play hold'em at work for hours at a time, I love it. I play on 888.com as well. I would also like to know the answers zero asked.

9. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

When me and Shewski play with our SW:CCG buddies, we typically use a $5 buy-in which gives you X number of chips (where X is affected by total number of players), with a 'small blind' of 1, then a 'big blind' of 2, (which gets doubled when people drop out of the game, or as time passes so as to speed up the game), and I don't believe we played with limits. The last man holding all the chips gets all the money in the pot.

Of course, we can alter any of these options as to suit people's preferences. As this is what I've played in the past, this is what I'm used to, but I don't mind changing things up. What do you guys say?

Is open to suggestion,
    Yours Truly

10. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Ummmmmm. What?

11. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I have multiple sets of chips so you needn't worry about those. Would you please explain the "blind" thing? I don't know Texas Hold 'Em. (Lots of other poker games but not that one so much)

How about a poker night after the Comicon dinner, or is that too much in one day? That's assuming Terry doesn't mind us crashing his room after the dinner...(not crashing overnight mind you)

12. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Here's some rules for hold 'em poker, but I'll do my best to explain them in layman's terms.

Poker rules

As Brian said, a buy in gets you a certain number of chips. We usually play winner takes all, but we also usually get in 2-3 games a night so you have a good (or at least better) chance of getting some money. We can always change this to what we want to do.

The two common ways of making people pay to play are the general ante (everyone puts in an amount before any cards are dealt to play) or the blind. The blind gets it name in that 1-2 players must put in chips before they get to see any cards (putting chips in "blind") wheras the other players can see some initial cards before determining whether to play or to fold. The "small blind" pays half of the ante (we usually use 2 to play, so the small pays 1, as Brian said) and the "big blind" pays the full 2 chips. Everyone else goes around, decides to pony up 2 to stay in, raise, etc. If no one raises the small blind must still pay another 1 chip so that every player in has paid 2 chips to play.

Limits are just that, limits to how much may be bet and/or how many times you may raise in a hand. We typically play that there is a 3 raise limit to a hand, and that you must raise by at least what the hand's ante was.

13. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Sounds fun! you can count me in!

14. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I'm still just a tad "corn-fused" about that.

Besides Texas Hold-em do you play anything else?

For instance (not neccessarily poker) Euchre or Spades?

What about 5 card draw or stud, follow the queen, 7 card draw and the like?

15. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Well, I've played some of those variants, but not recently. Typically when Brian and I play w/ those other fellas, we just play hold em.

16. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I've played those you are talking about Sal, though not as fun as hold'em they can be fun. Though I know how to play holdem the best/most so I would be comfortable just playing that.

17. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I'm personally a fan of hold 'em. I wouldn't be upset if we just stuck with that.

Likes hold 'em,
    Yours Truly

18. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Ummmmm, I basically know the rules of poker. How hardcore are you guys going to be when it comes to playing? In other words, would you be willing to run through the rules first? If so, I'm in.

19. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Yeah, we'll go over the rules. Of Brian and I, he is the better player, but we are by no means hardcore. I mess up the rules at least once a game still. =)

20. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Since we have a nice interest when do you guys want to gt together?

21. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    How about a run through for us beginners at Texas Hold-em at the party after Comicon?

Then maybe the second or third weekend in May?

I'm basically free any weekend except for Easter weekend.

22. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I wasn't thinking that far down the road....but if we have to then cool. But I would definately like to play sooner if we could.

23. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    hmmm...this is starting to peak my interest....and i don't like gambling or cards....we'll have to see

*strokes goatee with thumb and index finger* er....sorry forgot I have no goatee

24. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    So are we doing this or what?

Is after comicon cool?

Should I bring my poker chips?

Is this played with more than one deck?

What's the price of tea in China?

Does a bear sh.. uh, nevermind...

25. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Well, Brian and I were chatting just about this last night, actually. We were hoping to actually get the ball rolling on this a week or two sooner than the end of April.

But for both of us, we have a unique set of porblems that made us respectively give it a back seat. Mine is the wedding, his is lack of weekend time in April.

If anyone wants to pick a weekend (maybe the one before Comicon in order to not make that day busier than it will be) and a venue, I'm all for making plans... I'm just not all for MAKING the plans, if you get my drift, at least until next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.