main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[SWC] Combining Basher Sanctuaries or putting both in SW Comm

Discussion in 'Communications' started by rhonderoo, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Let me start by saying - I am NOT a basher of either the PT or the OT or the OT SE. And I may regret opening this particular can of worms as I am an objective viewer, so to speak...

That being said, there is a new PT bashing thread in SW Community and an older OT bashing thread in the CT forum. In actuality, the "Basher's" sanctuaries aren't supposed to be for bashing in total. If I understand it correctly it is to talk about what you feel are negative aspects of either, even if you enjoy in total. There are things to gripe about for both trilogies, or if you prefer both parts of the saga.

After May 2005, I think both trilogies will start to be seen as more of a saga, I could be wrong. I think that's the way it supposed to be, anyway. Maybe we could just have a overall "Basher's" Sanctuary in SW Comm. Then again folks can't seem to act like adults on both sides of this movie discussion sometimes and let it affect their real-life attitude, so I can see where maybe the two should be separated, but still think having both in SW Comm would be a better idea than having the OT sanctuary in the OT forum as it probably causes a little friction and those guys probably don't feel they can be as honest without getting tramped on. Thoughts?

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    i think what the basher's sanctuary in SWC lets you do is tie things from movie to movie.

Cause, i think this is a TPM bashers in the TPM forum and an AOTC bashers in AOTC. there is only so much you can bash about individual films, or one part of the saga. have to be able to tie them all together.

3. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Roo it's kind of like this. The Bashers thread for the OT is very different in the way that many in the BS thread in SWC right know only bash the PT no the OT. So it would not really work out that well.

Edit: I do see where you are coming from though. That is why TPMDF was moved to SWC.

4. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    We DO need something for bashing NJO. Myself and many I know loathe it.

5. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    NJO critics club, dearie. Well, not bashing, but expressing dislike.

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    The thread I linked to in the CT Forum is not the OT Basher Sanctuary, it's an OT bashing thread. It's a movie discussion thread that praises the PT at the expense of the PT (the basic theme of that thread is that the CT is dragging down the overall quality of SW). I spoke with both DamonD and EV about it before moving the Basher Sanctuary to SWC. I asked if they were going to allow that thread to continue and if they were, could I direct OT bashing discussion's there. They said yes to both.

For PT fans who want a place to hang out in SWC and talk with like minded PT fans about movies or whatnot, you have the TPMDF and AOTCDF. So in that sense, all Sanctuaries (movie-related) have been moved to SWC. If you just want to bash the OT, Go-Mer's thread in the CT fits that need nicely. Since SWC is a movie forum, any EU bashing thread is off-topic there and should be directed to EUC (is that right, DP4M?)

EDIT: grammar and clarity

7. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    I tried bashing NJO in EUC.

It got locked.

Thats why we need a bashing fourm.

And maybe a Phil Whise bashing fourm. I bet theres a lot of mods thatd like 2 bash him.

Well, X mods anyway.

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I tried bashing NJO in EUC. -- It got locked. -- Thats why we need a bashing fourm.

Actually, just as was the case in the TPM, there is one basher thread. There's an NJO Critics Club in the EUC, and then a general "EU Haters" thread. Anything else is simply redundant.

9. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Theres a thread for those who love it. Why not for those who dont ?

10. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    There IS. It's called the NJO Critics Club! It's on page 2. Go find it.

11. BlueTrooper

BlueTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2004
    The OT bashing thread seems more like a parody than anything.

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    There is only one Bashers' Sanctuary so far as I am aware, as Stryphe already stated. The thread in the CT forum is not a sanctuary per se. I see no reason even once all 6 films are out to combine any sanctuary threads. There will be an OT forum and a PT forum, so why combine the sanctuaries? Especially when there is such division about the PT as compared to the OT.

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    The thread in the CT forum is not a sanctuary per se. I see no reason even once all 6 films are out to combine any sanctuary threads. There will be an OT forum and a PT forum, so why combine the sanctuaries?

That was kinda my point. If its not a Sanctuary, like the PT thread in SW Comm, it probably should be. Like the PT thread it would keep those itching for a fight out, and its fair. Even if it probably doens't have the same amount of posting.

And the PT Basher's Sanctuary was moved to SW Comms from the PT forum, why not the CT Sanctuary (that isn't really a sanctuary)? I see why they probably shouldn't be combined, but probably moving any CT discussion like that would cause less controversy for the folks that post in CT in SW Comm. Am I making sense now? 8-}

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, moving the PT Bashers' Sanctuary to the SWC forum was entirely the decision of the TPM forum mods. As we also mod SWC it seemed an easy and natural decision to make, especially as many of the regulars of the thread were suggesting it. I would say this issue is up to the CT mod(s) and the posters in that thread.

15. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Except Go-Mer's thread is a movie discussion thread, related to the CT. Thus it is fitting for the CT Forum. It's not thread with social aspects like the PT Sanct. Now, if someone who likes the PT over the OT wants a social thread, we have two PT defense forces in SWC.

Now, if there are those who feel that's not enough, if there are people who feel they truly want a thread dedicated to OT bashing in the SWC forum, I would ask that they contact me and discuss it. If we get enough interested parties, we could possibly open an official OT Basher Sanctuary. So far, though, we have none. Even Go-Mer's thread in the OT Forum is dying.

16. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Shouldn't they be in The Star Wars Saga forum rather than in SWC? ?[face_plain]

17. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    **Hears DA/Dagsy screaming NOOOOOO!!!! all the way from Houston**

The Sanct is too social for Saga, even though it's not an entirely social thread.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree with teh Stryphe.

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, they like to keep the discussion serious in the Saga forum. I see your points, and didn't know it wasn't an admin decision, but one of the forum owners.

So are there plans to combine AOTC and TPM into a PT forum after III is out?

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That is the general direction, yes...

21. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I reckon the (combined) Ep3 forum will last for a couple years or so, then we'll end up with an overall PT forum.

22. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    The true answer is, though --- we don't know. Nothing has been officially decided. Very likely all PT forums will merge, and IMO it will happen in 2005. I suspect an official decision will be made about the time the movie is being released.

23. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    The problem I have with this is that many months ago, I tried to start a thread in the SWC forum that bashed LOTR while camparing it to SW. It was basically a thread that was to denounce the gushing of LOTR by way of bashing the PT. It got locked because supposedly they didnt allow the bashing of other franchises. I sent my complaint somewhere in this forum, and I basically said that it seems unfair to be able to bash the PT on a SW site, but you cant bash another franchise. And I could have sworn that the excuse I got was that different forums have different rules and that some forums dont allow basher sanctuaries. And I could be wrong, but I think they might have said that the SWC forum does not allow Basher Sanctuaries. Did the SWC forum used to not allow Basher Sanctuaries, and if that is so, did they decide to change the rule or something? I am not necessarilly against a PT basher sanctuary, but I would like to keep things consistent, fair and balanced. If a PT basher thread is allowed in this forum, then a LOTR basher thread should be allowed as long as it continually compares LOTR to SW and stays related to SW.

24. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Well, moving the PT Bashers' Sanctuary to the SWC forum was entirely the decision of the TPM forum mods. As we also mod SWC it seemed an easy and natural decision to make, especially as many of the regulars of the thread were suggesting it. I would say this issue is up to the CT mod(s) and the posters in that thread."

So Quixotic-Sith was lying to me months ago when he was a moderator of the Episode I Forum? He said that many members were against the move as I recall. Either many people have changed their minds in a short amount of time or someone was lying to me in particular.

25. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Learner, there was a sudden shift in attitude, and no, it wasn't because Strilo and I were mods there. This started about a month before then, maybe two, I forget exactly. So, no, no one lied to you.

Rpueugh, I don't believe there were rules against sancts in SWC. The AP Thread and AOTCDF were already there.

Regarding your LOTR thread, send me a PM and we can chat about re-opening it. I vaguely remember it, but I don't remember enough to make a call one way or the other at this moment, but we can discuss it if you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.