main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Productions Present: The Official SW Community ROTS Spoiler Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth-Stryphe, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Hey, I can deal with it if it was all a lie.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    We never see Palpatine use this knowledge of life over death, after all.

I think that Sids has the power to prolong life, I think he's hundreds of years old . That's what a darksider would want to do - live forever, a darksider isn't in a community, he's not altruistic, he doesn't want to bequeath it all to the next generation. That's why I think all this biz of dozens of generations of siths living and dying for the last 1000 years is ludicrous .
    This is the key to sids success - he's had hundreds of years to organise all his schemes. There has to be a classic 'Villain's monologue' in this movie where sids reveals how he orchestrated his evil deeds. But it hasn't yet turned up in the spoilers.

But the question for me is - does he tell anakin how to do this? I mean what does anakin get out of this bargain, he presumably agrees to be an apprentice of his own free will, Lucas has referred to it as a Faustian deal. So what does he get ?

And what on earth makes him go and murder kids ??
    Dramatically I like the idea (altho I've a feeling it'll upset a few anakin fans!) because it makes clear that he is evil.

g

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    A fear sets into Anakin, as he remembers the same premonition that plagued him about his mother. It is also a burning issue that even Yoda cannot soothe when he warns the young Jedi about Fear, Premonition and Mortality. Unable to put the dream from his mind, Anakin seeks out his greatest confidant, Chancellor Palpatine.

OK, I like this one, it makes a lot of sense.

In Revenge of the Sith, Sidious organises a trap to destroy one of the most powerful Jedi on the Council: Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Would some one other than me like to say what is wrong with this sentence?

Anakin realises that Palpatine is right. The Jedi Council believe that Palpatine is under the influence of the Sith. Little do they know that he is the Sith Master. In an effort to learn more about the Chancellor, the Jedi Council instruct Anakin to stay on Coruscant to watch him - spy on him, while Obi-Wan leads his mission to Utapau. They know Anakin has a close relationship with the Chancellor. Anakin is assigned as Palpatine?s personal bodyguard.

Well, I like how they make him Palp's personal guard, but the part about Palpatine accusing the Jedi of being non-Democratic doesn't make any sense.

In the Galaxies Theatre, Anakin Skywalker is the guest of the Chancellor Palpatine. The elite of Coruscant have gathered to watch the graceful movements of a female Mon Calamari soloist.

No, please!

Anakin lunges towards Mace as the Jedi goes to strike against Palpatine. A lightsaber battle begins; fast and furious until Mace's hand is cut off. Sidious raises his hands and lightning strikes from them, zapping Mace in revenge with full veracity - and with his lightning he lifts up the disabled Jedi and throws him through the window, out into the Coruscant traffic below.

Since when did Jedi have trouble falling into traffic? Anyway, sounds like an exciting scene, but having Mace out do Sidious is crap, IMO.

However, Obi-Wan can?t help but watch the recordings from the Temple?s hologram camera system. To his horror, he witnesses the murder of the Jedi Younglings by Anakin Skywalker.

Whoa!!!! We're going to see this??

He tries to convince Padme to let Palpatine declare himself Emperor. He states that the Republic needed to be destroyed; the Jedi, the Separatists... Once Palpatine unites everyone under his Empire, he will kill him, then Anakin and Padme can rule the galaxy together.

Wow, Anakin really jumps into that whole evil dark side thing aweful fast.

"Obi-Wan, there is still good in him... I know... there... is... still... "
    As Padme Amidala Skywalker dies, Obi-Wan opens his hand and gazes upon a jaipor snippet.

Will be a sad scene if they play it out right. But now how does Leia remember Padme again? I'm not getting this.

So Yoda decides to learn from Qui-Gon. Bowing, he declares,

"Qui-Gon, your apprentice, I gratefully become."

Ack!!!!! I still can't stand this. But how are they going to do this scene if Liam isn't coming back for the part?

"How lovely!" exclaims Threepio to Artoo, walking down the corridor. "His daughter is the child of Master Anakin and Senator Amidala. I can hardly wait to tell her all about her parents! I'm sure she will be very proud-"

Suddenly, Bail turns and says, "Oh, and the protocol droid? Have its mind wiped."

The captain salutes.

"Oh," says C-3PO. "Oh, dear."

LOL!!! That's great!

Suddenly, just when Mace is about to strike down and destroy the Sith, Palpatine unleashes his power and lightning strikes from his hand. His face ages dramaticially into an aged old man before the Jedi's eyes.

Uh....... no?

Once Mace is killed, Anakin pledges his attachment to the Sith Order. Sidious gives him the title DARTH VADER and instructs him in his first mission... sterilization of The Jedi Temple.

Like I said, Anakin really jumps into that whole evil dark side thing aweful fast.

Suddenly in Yoda's hand, a new creation is born. Fr

4. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    But the question for me is - does he tell anakin how to do this? I mean what does anakin get out of this bargain, he presumably agrees to be an apprentice of his own free will, Lucas has referred to it as a Faustian deal. So what does he get?

OK, I see what he gets, but my question is, why is he afraid of Palpatine?

And what on earth makes him go and murder kids ??
    Dramatically I like the idea (altho I've a feeling it'll upset a few anakin fans!) because it makes clear that he is evil.

Agreed on both points there.

5. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    I love ya, r-12, but story matters to me. And telling me Luke is a product of a mad laboratory experiment by a dead Jedi ghost

Could someone explain this to me? I'm lost here.

Qui-Gon does a CYA from the Force side and manipulates midis so that there are twins instead of the one child Anakin saw in his vision. Luke is supposed to be some kind of stealth Chosen One to cover Qui's mistake of picking up Anakin.

If I'm wrong, somebody correct me. :p

6. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Qui-Gon does a CYA from the Force side and manipulates midis so that there are twins instead of the one child Anakin saw in his vision.

How do we know this?

Luke is supposed to be some kind of stealth Chosen One to cover Qui's mistake of picking up Anakin.

Stealth chosen one? So I was right, there isn't a chosen one, since two is greater than one.

7. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    Okay, this turns out to be another Ternian spoiler "on the side". No big annoucement, probably mentioned in the same thread with a major spoiler.

Hudnall said this on page 1:

The idea of Qui-Gon manipulating midichlorians to create the twins or having any involvement beyond either 1) protecting them or 2) talking about them is pointless, overly complicated and detracts from Luke and Leia's very existence.

In fact, such a spoiler makes Luke no more than a Clone - a laboratory experiment, and QGJ and the Force no greater than said Kaminoans and Palpatine himself. When in fact, the twins should be the product of Anakin and Padme's love - a product of FAMILY. You know, that theme which saves Vader in RETURN OF THE JEDI.

My description was a bit too colorful, maybe. [face_blush]

EDIT: more:

"Qui-Gon had a hand in Luke and Leia's conception. The guy knew what he was doing."- from "The Death of Amidala Skywalker" thread

8. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Some of Rick McCallum's latest blatherings will be in italics, my responses in regular type:

The Sith-eyed Anakin [from the teaser] is NOT a dream, and he will have the Sith eyes for some of the fight.

[face_plain] Oh, good grief. How much more like a cartoon can the PT get?

There are five duels in ROTS (Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku, General Grievous vs Obi-Wan, Sidious vs Mace Windu, Sidious vs Yoda, and Obi-Wan vs Anakin).

By my count that is four too many. Let's examine each one:

1. Anakin & Obi-wan vs Dooku: Dooku was a throwaway character in the throw-away plot of AOTC. Now Lucas just has to clumsily get rid of him in the first 15 minutes of ROTS to, you know, try to tie up that loose end. Total waste of screen time.

2. General Grievous [face_plain] vs. Obi-wan: Now THERE's a villian we don't need. It seems each prequel has to have a throw-away villian, and this one is the lamest one yet. Yet more wasted screen time.

3. Sidious vs Mace Windu: Do I really have to explain this? Sidious with a lightsabre is just wrong. He should be the mastermind behind the scenes, pulling all the strings. He should never stoop to actually physically fight. It should be beneath him. It'd be like Don Corleone (the Godfather) walking around picking fistfights. And talk about your throwaway characters: Mace Windu has no business being in the prequels at all. Lucas saw on TV one night Sam Jackson saying it'd be cool to be in Star Wars, so Lucas makes up this part for him. Good grief.

4. Sidious vs Yoda: Here we get to the bottom of the bucket. Neither one of these guys should have a lightsabre, but oh, no: "Hey, let's them two fight! It will rox!" Is Lucas a two-year-old?

5. Obi-wan vs. Anakin: This is the only lightsabre fight that should be in ROTS. I'm worried that it will be too long (rumors are it will be 12 minutes) and totally whacked-out with CGI. (Remember, there was no location shooting for ROTS...) I'm also worried that it will be totally over-the-top in terms of fancy acrobatics and all the rest, in a sad endeavour to be the best sabre duel ever. Why can't it just be a good sabre duel of under 2 minutes? And shot on location? Can't Lucas go on location even for what is arguably the central scene of the prequels?

ROTS as of now is roughly 2 hours 13 minutes and 22 seconds (Without credits).

That's at least 13 minutes, 22 seconds too long. Both the previous prequels suffered from way, way too much fat that needed trimming. The shorter this movie is, the better. Early on in the ROTS spoiler game, McCallum said ROTS would be the shortest of the prequels. I was hoping for something around 90 minutes or so. Truth be told, if there is more than 20 minutes of good stuff in ROTS, I will be surprised.

RM says that as of now Luke is born first and that in his next chat he will give the definitive answer.

It's good to know that Lucas has a decades-long vision for SW. We wouldn't want him to make this stuff up by the seat of his pants, would we?

After the score is complete they will come back to the states and will have at least 450-500 effects shots to do.

Only three months until ROTS is released, and it still has more unfinished special effects shots than the 1977 SW film has effects shots in its entirety? Now there's a problem for you right there.

9. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    When it comes to ROTS sopilers, my biggest problem is not the spoilers I see, but the spoilers I don't see. I.e., there's no stuff about Alderaan. Is it even in the bloody movie? Bah!

Perhaps the worst spoiler of them all is the elevation of the throw-away character of Qui-Gon (who was a late addition to the screenplay--seat of the pants movie making at its finest) into the Grand Guru of the Jedi

This is just bad. Horrible. Not only did he take screentime that should have belonged to Kenobi in TPM, now he's the freaking hero of the whole saga? Hey, did they insert Qui Gon's ghost for the Ultra Edition of the OT?

Bah, and bah again!

And there was a spoiler a couple of days ago where senator Mon Mothma described Padme as "intelligent" [face_plain] The senator who asked Jar Jar to replace her while she goes into hiding is described as intelligent???

LMAO!

On the plus side, I'm looking forward to the duels and battle scenes. I think Lucas will do great for this one. It's the otehr stuff I'm more worried about.

10. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Ok. Palpatine/Sidious.

I am worried. This character (my favourite) has been treated with relative subtlety in TPM and AOTC - thanks largely to Ian McDiarmid's masterful command and understanding of character.

Now it looks like that is out the window. We don't need to see him fight. The fact that he is Sith Master implies that he is no slouch in a confrontation but we don't need to SEE it. Better that his powers are limited only by our imagination.

And what is with his appearance? So far the ROTS pictures I have seen are:

1. Palpatine looking younger than he did in AOTC.

2. Palpatine looking like he does in ROTJ - in EMPIRE mag photo with Vader and McCallum. (Shouldn't look like this in this film but is still oddly cool to see.)

3. A fat, pasty faced Palpatine in a maroon robe grinning madly while holding a lightsabre. Looks like Friar Tuck in a face-pack. Looks nothing like any incarnation we have seen.

4. From the trailer, a monstrous looking Sidious with huge mouth and fangs swinging a sabre.

I was looking forward to a Palpatine that had decayed a little further from AOTC and appeared a few times in the hood. The idea was age and darkside use had ravaged his physical appearance by the time we see him in ROTJ.

I like that better than the transformation he goes through in ROTS - a la Mumm-Raa from Thundercats.

11. TheAnointedOne

TheAnointedOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    Here's a bad spoiler in two words: Senator Binks

What the heck is Lucas thinking about? "Senator Binks"! In the first movie, he went from being banished to being "General Binks" for no reason at all. Then in AOTC, he became "Representative Binks" for no reason at all. Now in AOTC, he is "Senator Binks" for no reason at all.

Maybe in Lucas' next reworking of the OT, Jar Jar will show up in ANH and he will be "Emperor Binks"! [face_laugh]

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

Does anyone know if Binks does anything in this movie ?

Maybe he accidentally and ironically knocks Mace out the window just before he kills Sids .

g

13. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    he went from being banished to being "General Binks" for no reason at all.

Not unprecedented in Star Wars, something similar happened with Lando in ROTJ when he suddenly became General.

What makes this different?

14. TheAnointedOne

Dec 2, 2002
    I agree, that was almost as stupid. At least some time had gone by between movies and apparently some battles had been fought, but it was a dumb thing to do.

15. TheAnointedOne

Dec 2, 2002
    By the way, does anyone agree that it seems stupid that the entire Jedi council can sit in Palpatine's office and not know that he is the king of dark side users? And if the "dark side clouds everything", then why did Yoda say that he could sense the dark side in Dooku? And if the dark side can extend/create life on top of the fact that it can disguise itself, fool jedi into thinking it's not there, and can enable the user to defeat any Jedi in combat, then why, for the love of all that is good, did Yoda tell Luke that the dark side was NOT stronger than the good side? :confused: [face_thinking]

16. Thunderwing

Thunderwing Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2005
    Not unprecedented in Star Wars, something similar happened with Lando in ROTJ when he syddenly became General.

What makes this different?

Well, after his mistake at Bespin, Lando redeemed himself and was shown to be a true hero in helping to rescue Han. Not to mention that his flying skills led to him being chosen to lead the attack on the DS2. What had Jar Jar done before being promoted in TPM? Not a lot, and what he did achieve was down to luck.

By the way, does anyone agree that it seems stupid that the entire Jedi council can sit in Palpatine's office and not know that he is the king of dark side users?

This is bizarre. Remember the look of suspicion Yoda gave Palpy when he finished Padme's sentence for her? Then later, Dooku tells Obi-Wan that Sidious is controlling the Senate. Even then, all these Jedi masters can't rub their midichlorians together and work out that Palpatine is Sidious?

17. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    I was actually hoping more folk happy with these spoilers would come in here so we could, at least hopefully, have a civilized discussion about the pros and cons of them.

But I'm not one of those folk, at least when it comes to the medic alien:

[image=http://img104.exs.cx/img104/3287/x3ox.jpg]

[image=http://img223.exs.cx/img223/6014/x0nn.jpg]

Looks derivative of Princess Mononoke to me.

18. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    >>>By the way, does anyone agree that it seems stupid that the entire Jedi council can sit in Palpatine's office and not know that he is the king of dark side users?<<<

Um, I have always really, really liked this, actually. In fact, I always expected this would be the case before any of the prequels showed up. One, because as far back as '77, with the novelization, it was pretty much set that Palpatine was a politician of some sort who rose to power, not a conquerer who assumed it, so he would HAVE HAD to be prominent and visible to the Jedi throughout the Republic side of the story. And two, and most importantly, because that's what evil is like. Under the surface. And it only stands to reason that the greatest powers of the Sith are those that are stealthy/evasive/shadowy.

And since when was Qui-Gon a throwaway character? He was the lead of the first movie. May we not at least admit now that that might've been some partial reason for that now, even if we all would've preferred a focus on Obi-Wan? However, if Stryphe is right, and Liam is just as voice in the film, than for me this spoiler will not work at all. He has to appear to close in this circle properly and make Yoda's "humbling" believable. (And that's another idea I like, that the Jedi were proud and stupid and came to realize to late they had been softened by the Republic, only this has been too poorly realized, for my money. In particular, somebody--Qui Gon? Anakin?--should've been VOINCING that in the prior movies, to reassure the audience about why the Jedi aren't fixing anything.)

It occurs to me now that I've never seen or read the actual spoiler content about Qui-Gon and thetwins. Where's the text of it? It's not on the thread that Hudnail's been arguing on the 3SA.

19. a2dmusic

Mar 4, 2001
    And since when was Qui-Gon a throwaway character? He was the lead of the first movie. May we not at least admit now that that might've been some partial reason for that now, even if we all would've preferred a focus on Obi-Wan?

No, that was not the reason why Qui-Gon was the lead in the first film. Earlier drafts of the film had Obi-Wan in Qui-Gon's role (these earlier drafts are well-known and have been circulated widely). The focus changed and later drafts Qui-Gon appeared - around the time that Lucas decided he wanted Liam. We of course don't know the next part is fact, but it fits - that since Liam was too old to play Obi, he created Qui-Gon.

In other words, this was not the story Lucas had set out to tell, even as late as writing stages of TPM.

20. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    So now when Leia talks about her Mother in ROTJ it's all a load of crap . Now the midis are being used to cover up story blunders

And THAT creates another story blunder. Luke is powerful and TRAINED in the Force can't remember anything at all.

Anakin finds out that QG has been having poltergeist sex with his bird .

LOL

We never see Palpatine use this knowledge of life over death, after all.

Yes, that is how he prolongs his own life - and he'll use it to 'create' Vader, saving him from his injuries of the Duel. That is why once Vader turns back in ROTJ and has given up the Dark Side, he goes right back to dying. He knew he would die without the Dark Side.

You don't know the power of the Dark Side...

A fear sets into Anakin, as he remembers the same premonition that plagued him about his mother. It is also a burning issue that even Yoda cannot soothe when he warns the young Jedi about Fear, Premonition and Mortality. Unable to put the dream from his mind, Anakin seeks out his greatest confidant, Chancellor Palpatine.

I agree with you, Stryphe. I think the recurring dreams which haunt Anakin are a nice touch to his all-powerful Jedi state. So much power, he doesn't know how to control it or understand it - and at times, it controls him. His dreams pop up in TPM, AOTC and now ROTS... I like this aspect to his character, and like it even more that George has followed through with it though I do wish the TPM dream actually referenced something.

but the part about Palpatine accusing the Jedi of being non-Democratic doesn't make any sense.

*** avoids current political commentary ***

but having Mace out do Sidious is crap,

Not to me. Sid's is a schemer. He needs a poweruser to be his front man. He's the brains, not the muscle.

He tries to convince Padme to let Palpatine declare himself Emperor. He states that the Republic needed to be destroyed; the Jedi, the Separatists... Once Palpatine unites everyone under his Empire, he will kill him, then Anakin and Padme can rule the galaxy together.

Binary, in answer to your question, I think this spoiler is awesome. Frikkin awesome. It actually, in a way, justifies him jumping into the Dark Side - he's going to take over the Galaxy and rule it with Padme, a dream which began at the picnic.

On QGJ, midis and making twin or clones or whatever: - Ternian, who is spoiling from the novelization, said that QGJ "has a hand in the twin's birth" and that "Bail, Yoda and Obi discuss QG influence over midis in the twins."

By my count that is four (duels) too many.

I only think the Grievous one does not belong. I like the rest.

Only three months until ROTS is released, and it still has more unfinished special effects shots than the 1977 SW film has effects shots in its entirety? Now there's a problem for you right there.

That's how we end up with crap. AOTC would have improved miles over with even a month more to polish and score it to a FINISHED film.

Palpatine/Sidious.I am worried. This character (my favourite) has been treated with relative subtlety in TPM and AOTC - thanks largely to Ian McDiarmid's masterful command and understanding of character. Now it looks like that is out the window.

To Mandalorian, you listen.

Not unprecedented in Star Wars, something similar happened with Lando in ROTJ when he suddenly became General.

I agree with hansen. Though making Lando a general in ROTJ is one of the all-time stupid STAR WARS moves.

And that's another idea I like, that the Jedi were proud and stupid and came to realize to late they had been softened by the Republic

Excellent point, R12. I like the idea of Yoda being completely humbled, broken and deject. He should be. He got beat. He had to get beat. It is the story. There is even a great deal of strength in realizing one's own mistakes.

I really like Qui-Gon coming to him at this moment of distress - a ray of

21. a2dmusic

Mar 4, 2001
    Excellent point, R12. I like the idea of Yoda being completely humbled, broken and deject. He should be. He got beat. He had to get beat. It is the story.

It is now. It never had to be that way, though. What if Yoda was on Degobah not because he hid there from the Empire, but because he is the remote guru? The one that leads many the pupil up the mountain paths to the remote inaccessible location to learn? I always thought that Yoda didn't even get involved in the affairs of the galaxy... he was wiser: the pendulum swings.

22. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    I always saw him as the head of the Jedi - and as such, I always assumed he got sent into hiding just like Ben - because the Empire destroyed everyone in their way. Basically, he was forced to hide until the time was right to train Luke or Leia.

23. a2dmusic

Mar 4, 2001
    I can see that, but the (OT) Yoda plays the part of the remote guru so well. It's such a classic trope, even the Simpsons used it in the episode where Apu got fired from the Kwik-E-Mart and had to go see the president of the company to ask for his job back.

It's very much how the character was set up in Empire (IMO).

24. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    A2dmusic wrote: What if Yoda was on Degobah not because he hid there from the Empire, but because he is the remote guru? The one that leads many the pupil up the mountain paths to the remote inaccessible location to learn? I always thought that Yoda didn't even get involved in the affairs of the galaxy... he was wiser: the pendulum swings.

Exactly so. Yoda should not have been in the PT. He should have been on Dagobah the whole time. Yoda certainly should have been mentioned in the PT, in awed tones as the greatest of all the Jedi. Kenobi should have mentioned that he was privileged to be one of the very few to be trained by Yoda. But that's it.

Then, when watched in order from episode I to VI, the "ideal viewer" would have his imagination stoked about Yoda in the first three episodes. Then, finally, in episode V Kenobi tells Luke to go be trained by Yoda on Dagobah. "Wow! We finally get to see Yoda! YES!!!" Then Luke arrives on Dagobah and talks with this little imp. Like Luke, the viewer is thinking, "Enough with this wretched imp! We want Yoda!" Then, the reveal: The little imp IS Yoda.

Instead in the prequels we have a retard Yoda bouncing around and getting lectured by Liam Neeson. [face_plain]

Of all the characters who have been ruined by the PT, Yoda has been ruined the worst.

25. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    "Palpatine/Sidious.I am worried. This character (my favourite) has been treated with relative subtlety in TPM and AOTC - thanks largely to Ian McDiarmid's masterful command and understanding of character. Now it looks like that is out the window."

I thought that the Emperor in RotJ was one of the best characters in the OT. He made that film for me. So I'm not all that worried about his portrayal of over-the-top evil in RotS. I kind of wish he hadn't been given a lightsaber, though. Same as Yoda - it is unnecessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.