main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games SWC Senate: Restoring Peace, Prosperity and Equality to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    SWC Senate: Restoring Peace, Prosperity and Equality to the Galaxy

It is twenty five years after the Battle of Jakku. The New Republic is fully established in the Galaxy and what few Imperial and warlord powers in the Outer Rim and Deep Core that refused to adhere to the Galactic Concordance have been long vanquished and their territories annexed.

While the New Republic has in recent memory struggled with alien aggression, it has settled into an alliance with independent systems, the capital of which is based on Coruscant, while the New Republic Senate is established on Hosnian Prime.

But now the Senate fights not against Imperials or invasion but itself. The Centrist and Populist parties have mired themselves in gridlock and there are rumours of a Resistance that has formed against the very corruption and inequality that plagues the Galaxy... How will the Senate respond to such a threat? Will it divert its attention from healing the last of the damage from the recent wars or on reopening those scars with no pliant Imperial remnants? And how will the Senate square the focus on repairing and elevating and indeed arming Centrists world's such as Coruscant and Kuat, at the expense of the disenfranchised world's which align with the Populists? What of those few sectors that stand apart from the New Republic and its galactic alliances? Can they be trusted to support the Resistance or the Senate? Even then, what will happen to the Independents within the Senate that refuse to ally with either the Populists or the Centrists at all?

A time of uncertainty is approaching... How the Senate acts now will decide whether conflict will arise, or whether, first, order will arise.

The State of the Galaxy

Chancellor: Bazinga'd
    Vice Chancellor: TBA
    Speaker: TBA

Centrist

Populist

Independent

The Chancellor will hold office for 30-days. Initially, the Chancellor will be selected by the mods. Subsequently, the Chancellor will be elected in accordance with the SWC Senate Constitution. After the election, the Vice-Chancellor and Speaker positions will be filled by the Chancellor. At least one of those positions, must be filled by a member of one of the opposition parties.

2. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    SWC Senate Constitution:

Rule 1: Eligibility to participate.

This game is open to all members of the Jedi Council Forums. Players may join and leave at any time. To join the game, a player needs only add themselves to the official game roster, and indicate on that roster which planet they wish to represent. A player may leave the game by removing themselves from the roster. A player may be removed from the game for violating the ToS or the forum rules at the discretion of the forum moderators, Sinrebirth. A player may also be removed from the game by the Vice Chief of State (see rule 2, Officers below) after the player has been inactive for a period of 14 consecutive days without giving prior notice of an absence.

Rule 2: Officers

There shall be three official officers of this game. The Chief of State, the Vice Chief of State, and the Speaker of the House. The job of the Chief of State is to manage the game. The CoS will introduce scenarios that fit into the timeline, report how bills that passed/failed/were deliberated/etc affect the galaxy as a whole, recognize or deny motions, and attempt to keep the game fun for all members. The CoS will receive red-only VIPship and title for the month(s) they are elected.

The job of the Vice Chief of State is to care for the records of the game. The VCoS will be the official record keeper of the Roster, and should post it in thread at least once every week. The VCoS will also be charged with recording the results of all motions and votes in the game. The VCoS is also charged with running the election of Chief of State in the following month, unless a conflict of interest is present (see Rule 3: Elections, below) In the event of an absence of the Chief of State, the VCoS will act as Chief of State. This will occur if the Supreme Chancellor announces he will be away for a set period of time, or if the Chief of State is inactive for a period of at least one week without notice. In the latter case, the VCoS is also obligated to PM the forum mods and notify them of the absence of the Chief of State. The VCoS is also charged with ensuring that a Quorum is met for each vote (See Rule 5.1 below)

The job of the Speaker of the House is to facilitate communication. The SoH will be responsible for PMing all senators one week, and two days prior to the election of a new Chief of State, as well as PMing all senators for topics of great interest, as requested and designated by the Chief of State.

No other official offices exist in this game, although the Chief of State may create unofficial offices (head of xyz committee, head of xyz political party, etc) to facilitate the scenarios being discussed.

Rule 3: Elections

Only the office of the CoS will be up for a vote. The offices of VCoS and Speaker to be filled by appointment upon the election of the CoS. Elections are to occur on the first of the month with the three days previous to that dedicated to election proceedings. Day one is to be dedicated to nominations. Any Senator may be nominated (subject to term limits) by another, a second to that nomination is required to place the Senator on the official ballot. A Senator may not nominate or second themselves.

Day two will be dedicated to campaigning by those Senators on the ballot. Other Senators may ask questions of the nominees at this time. Time will be allotted on day two for a moderated debate should the candidates desire.

Days three will be election day. Votes will be PMed to the VCoS for tabulation, should the VCoS be a Candidate the Speaker will tabulate the votes. Should both the VCoS and the Speaker be nominated tabulation of votes will be conducted by a volunteer Senator who is not a nominee. A Senator may vote for themselves on Election day.

Removing an officer: A vote of no confidence is allowed against a sitting CoS. As with any motion a second is required to move forward. Once recognized a 2/3 majority is required for the No confidence vote to succeed. The moderators of the SWC forum must then approve of the vote of no confidence. Upon passage the VcoS will take on the roll of CoS and may form a new government.

Term limits. No Officer may hold the same post for more than two consecutive terms.

Rule 4: Timeline and Canon Debates in this game

The timeline for this game (i.e. which era it takes place in) will be decided by the opening post. All other Chiefs of State will live in that timeline and will have to live in a Republic that was impacted by the previous Chiefs of State, Senate votes, and repercussions that were made in-game.

The only materials considered 100% canon for this game are the seven films. All EU, novelizations, etc are not considered canon, but neither are they considered non-canon. Something is not true simply because the EU said, but some things may still be true, depending on how the members of the game wish to use it.

Rule 5: Playing the Game

All members of this game must represent a planet. Each planet may be represented by only one player. Planets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. You may use any planet from the Star Wars universe, or you may make up your own planet. This gives the game an unlimited number of planets to use.

The basis of the game is what happens on the Senate Floor. Thus, the game revolves around debating ideas, voting on bills, and finding solutions. The heart of the game is in voting.

To introduce a bill to be voted upon, a member should formally announce “I move that we adopt” … and then follow that with the bill, movement, action, etc to be taken. If another member of the game feels that this deserves to be voted upon, that member should second the bill. Once a bill has been seconded, it must be recognized by the Chief of State before voting on it can begin. Any member can make a motion or second a motion, with the exception of the Chief of State.

Once a vote has been recognized, it shall be voted on for a period. The bill will pass if a simply majority of those voting yes or no (or yay or nay or whatever variation is used) vote “yes”. The bill will fail if the majority is not reached. The Chief of State may veto any passed bill that is passed by less than a 2/3rds majority, but the Senate may overrule that veto with a 2/3rds majority vote.

All introduced bills should be in response to the actions, inactions, situations, etc as presented by the Chief of State for consideration by the Senate. It is recommended that Senators talk with other Senators to find consensus before advancing with a bill, but it is not required.

The passage (or non-passage) or bills, motions, etc will impact the game. The Chief of State will update you on the progress and events in the Republic as a response to the actions of the Senate. So, the way you vote on items will impact the game, so keep that in mind.

Rule 5.1: Quorum

In order for a vote to be valid a quorum of Senators must be reached. The required number of Senators for a Quorum will be 33% of the Active Senate. Active Senators will be those who have posted within the past two weeks. It is the duty of the VCoS to PM Senators who are no longer considered active. The Senator will then have a 72 hour grace period in which to respond and post in thread. Lack of response will result in a purge from the rolls of Active Senators.

Rule 6: Meta-Motions

Meta-Motions are those motions which deal with the running of the game. These would include constitutional changes, removal of officers, and other such cases. These are strictly forbidden to be done without the permission of the forum moderators.

Rule 7: Socializing
    Chatter and socializing in-thread is allowed, provided it is on-topic, “in-character”, and at least somewhat game related. Hi/bye and socializing posts that do not deal with the game in any way are considered spamming and off-topic, and will be dealt with accordingly.

Rule 8: Socks

The use of socks (alternative accounts) to play this game to allow yourself multiple entries in the game is prohibited. Anyone caught doing so may be barred from the game completely and/or banned.

Rule 9: Carryover of this game into other SWC threads

Events, titles, political parties, etc. are confined to this game only. Playing this game in any other thread (including, but not limited to, the Cloud City Cantina, is forbidden, and will be considered off-topic and spam. Likewise, carrying over ranks and conversations from other threads is forbidden, and will be considered off-topic and spam.

Rule 10: In-Thread Problems

Any problems that arise in-thread (including members creating problems by proposing bills that have nothing to do with the scenario or otherwise detracting from the scenario put forth by the Supreme Chancellor) should be reported to the forum moderators.

If there is a serious problem (flaming, profanity, etc), please contact any moderator online to help with the problem.

Rule 11: Duration

The SWC Senate game is an ongoing game which runs at the discretion of the SWC Moderators.

Rule 12: Amendments

Amendments to this constitution shall be done only under supervision and permission of the forum moderators. Suggested amendments will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and a system to implement them will be decided on by the forum moderators

3. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    As the interim Chancellor, I am pleased and honored to open this next session of the Galactic Senate. As the interim Chancellor, I will set the initial legislative agenda and prepare for follow-on elections.

As a house keeping matter, Please announce which Senators are present and which party who are aligned with. If anyone is interested in volunteering to be the initial Vice-Chancellor and Speaker, please let me know.

(Please keep a running tally by cutting and pasting from the previous post)

Members and Party Affiliation

Senator Bazinga'd of Tatooine Independant

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004

Populist

Centrist

Senator Sinrebirth for Eriadu

Independent

Senator Bazinga'd of Tatooine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  5. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014

Populist

Centrist

Senator Silent of Naboo

Independent

6. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015

Populist

Centrist

Senator Silent of Naboo
    Senator Snokers of Mandalore Duro

Independent

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008

Populist

Senator Furio of Sullust

Centrist

Senator Silent of Naboo

Independent

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Populist
    Senator Furio of Sullust
    Senator ConservativeJedi of Skustell

Centrist

Senator Silent of Naboo

Independent

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My fellow Centrists, I shall immediately petition the Chancellor for Centrist representation in the Cabinet! A lowly independent cannot direct us.

Snokers, TheSilentInfluence.

DarthIshyZ and Pretendalorian like this.
  10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Senator Sinrebirth,

Lets us keep the rhetoric and unfettered nonsense to a minimum. We have real work to accomplish in this session of the Senate.

As a man of bipartisan politics, I will appoint a centralist and populist to my cabinet. I will take both parties nominations to either position.

Finally, I understand that temporal distortions in local area have delayed the travel of many of our colleagues. As a result I will delay the laying out the agenda until more members can arrive.

11. Knight of Wren

Knight of Wren Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 13, 2016

Populist

Senator Furio of Sullust
    Senator ConservativeJedi of Skustell

Centrist

Senator Silent of Naboo
    Senator Pretendalorian of Gorse

Independent

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Here here.

Sinrebirth your antics are not appreciated.

OOC: :p

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *completely ignores both the Chancellor and the Populist @Darth_Furio*

Snokers, Pretendalorian, TheSilentInfluence.

Members of the Centrist Party.

I would gladly nominate myself to take a Cabinet and leadership role. The Populists cast us as villains, but they curry chaos. I shall lead us to bring peace to the Galaxy, with your kind support. But I shall also support any nominee who shows themselves to be more capable than I.

OOC: May as well start as I intend to go on.

14. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    We will not fall victim to a group that considers Palpatine's Empire a good idea! Nominate whom ever you deem fit. You will be watched regardless.

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Palpatine's Empire was a good idea. Palpatine himself was not, clearly.

Snokers and Pretendalorian like this.
  16. Knight of Wren

Apr 13, 2016
    Sinrebirth You shall expect nothing less than my full support moving forward.Together we shall work to build a better, brighter, more strongly unified galaxy dedicated to law and order, with or without the support of our unenlightened Populist brothers and sisters.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Bah, you deem ruling through fear a good idea? A wise man once stated "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't plan to represent nor rule people with fear. It wasn't our fault that Palpatine was once part of our planet's government. But we must accept that his wrongdoings were the downfall of the Republic. That what happened during the Empire's rule was wrong. Only then can we move forward together. Only then can we unify the people, let them live, have hope and be free.

19. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    We will see your "hope" when the people hear about these rumors of a "First Senator" Senator Silent. That is a slippery slope.

20. Knight of Wren

Apr 13, 2016
    Darth_Furio

A strong, unified galaxy is crucial if we wish for our New Republic to long endure. The Empire indeed ruled through fear and oppression, but they were not enlightened by such virtues as peace and justice as are we. It is my deepest desire as a centrist that we learn from both the shortcomings and the successes of the Old Empire moving forward.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  21. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008

*Bow his head* We shall see.

22. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    What makes you believe I want a dictatorship? Naboo has always had our Queen, long may she reign. Does that mean her rule is a dictatorship too? She wants what's best for all of us, as do I. We need to work together if we want this galaxy to truly live. And we have to have hope.

23. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Optics will be crucial, and a single ruler over the whole senate may look like another Palpatine to the masses.

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *gestures to his Centrist colleagues*

We have proven our point. We do not need to waste our words on a Populist.

The Chancellor will no doubt accept my nomination and we shall see who the Populists suggest... If they can organise themselves long enough to pick someone!

Pretendalorian likes this.
  25. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    True. Which is why we must always be vigilant Senator Furio. Palpatine became a dictator because everyone was blinded to his true intentions.

Darth_Furio and Sinrebirth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.