main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games SWC Senate: Restoring Peace, Prosperity and Equality to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Oppressing people is never good Senator Shadowsun.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Senator's please, rehashing the history that which divides us does us no good in solving the problems of the present. How we got here with regards to the striking gas miners isn't important at the moment, though certainly may be something we look at in the future to prevent this from becoming a problem again. What matters is the crisis we face on front of us. Do we accede to their demands and potentially wreck the rest of the economy, do we try to negotiate them down or do we take other measures to get the workers back on the job?

3. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Well, Bardan_Jusik, I think we should review their demands. First, are any of them necessary to protect their safety? If that is the case those should be met.
    Also, is this a republic installation?

4. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I can look into things for the mining strike Chancellor Bardan_Jusik. I have some connections I can make use of.

BookExogorth likes this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

No these are not for any governmental owned installations, merely Tibanna gas mining complexes located within Republic borders. However given the strategic and economic importance of ending this strike it is only prudent that we get involved to end it as soon as possible. Some of the Mining Guild's demands are for increased worker safety as well as more time off for those workers. They have also demanded a threefold increase in their wages. Meeting either of the first two demands would result in a rather large increase in the cost of labor for the mining facilities which would then be passed on to the consumer (our citizens) and the government as we also but a rather large amount of Tibanna gas to fuel our military and governmental transportation systems. Meeting the third would be an impossibility as the cost would bring the economy to it's knees. Obviously therefore we can't meet all three of their demands (and even the third needs to be mitigated significantly if negotiation is our preferred option).

Most excellent, any help you can provide will be most useful.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  6. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    * Holonet transmission incoming *
    I agree with Vice Chancellor Silent and Chancellor Bardan on these divisions. We need to work together to solve these problems. That means putting our differences behind us.

I should have said before I left, Senator Xogorth has my proxy, if it's needed.

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

BookExogorth likes this.
  7. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    *Senate pods rises and Senator Furio whispers into his beautiful Twi'lek aides ears and takes a data pad from one of them before speaking.*

I believe the mining guild is being much too presumptuous. Meeting their safety standards should go through this body without delay, however the monetary demands are ridiculous. Working class citizens across the galaxy only see incremental increases in pay, these miners need to shown the folly of their demands.

As for the investigations of this militant group the First Order, there is much to be said. I have it on good authority that they have ransacked two military installations on Fondor. Parts for ships and fighters were stolen including data on future advanced weapon systems. Moreover, they have numerous spies on most Republic flotillas relaying sensitive information and troop movements. I think it is safe to assume that they are absorbing former Imperial assets including, ships, vehicles, weapons, and more importantly people. Finally most information points to these activities, originating from the Outer Rim. Some even say Wild Space.

8. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    So, honorable chancellor Bardan_Jusik, would we be erecting regulations on the industry or handling the negotiations of a private company? What has been the prior strategy of this body?

This First Order sounds... Concerning, at the least.

9. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    It does, and the intel reports coming in are not flattering.

10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    To my knowledge this is a unique situation that the Senate has not dealt with before. Safety regulations and the like are of course well within established parameters for this body. Handling negotiations for private corporations is not something i would normally be comfortable with, however given the nature of the crisis and the long lasting effect this strike will have on our economy we have no choice but to intervene and either act as intermediaries or come up with some alternate solution to their issues.

DarthIshyZ and BookExogorth like this.
  11. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I'd prefer to let GOHSA, the Galactic Occupational Health and Safety Administration, deal with the threat of strike. If companies aren't complying then they should be facing harsh fines.

Threats of replacing the workers with occupants of the penal colonies should also curb their desires to strike.

12. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Whatever is happening with the first order is troubling, but we need to get as much information as we can before we act. However, I would be cautious, we don't know much about them yet.

I'll be posting an update to the Roster tomorrow.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well said, Senator Belligerent. That resolves out labour issues and also makes something useful out of criminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

A most interesting idea and just the kind of out of the box solution that might work. I feared we might be forced to send in troops to break up the strike. We would need to set up the legal frame work to allow corporations to use penal labor however. .

15. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    Another concern would be that the companies might not be comfortable with criminals in their mines.

16. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    It's the perfect setting for prisoner labor. Mines already have security, and I feel like it would work well with the addition of trained Prison Guards. The guards would need training to monitor in this setting, but this does open up more job opportunities. The business could be charged for the use of the prisoners, at a rate less than the usual labor cost. Those funds would more than cover security and expense of housing and feeding the inmates.

Escapes would be minimal - where are they going to go if they are in a mine?

BookExogorth likes this.
  17. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Senators, the time for action regarding the Mining Guild strike is now. It has come to my attention that the strike has now resulted in fatalities among rioting miners and Republic Security Forces who were trying to maintain the peace outside of the Mining Guild Headquarters on Coruscant. There are also a number of injuries sustained by the RSF and these rioters, some of whom have now been arrested. We must come to a resolution of this crisis before more blood is spilled.

18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I'll have my report up tonight Chancellor.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  19. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Rioting is unacceptable and any being that participates should be arrested and prosecuted. If they won't disperse with water cannons then there's no other option besides stun grenades and arrest.

20. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    So after contacting my connections there are a few things we can do to help stop the mining strike. One is to sit down with the strikers leaders and put forth a plan that benefits both of us. This does not mean that those who push for violent acts should remain unpunished, but it also means that we need to see things their way, and improve conditions for the miners and their families.

The important thing is that we solve this quickly so that fuel can reach those who need it. As soon as we finish discussing this amongst ourselves, we need to contact the mining guild strike leaders and sort this out together for an effective solution.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  21. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
  22. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm against wasting time on negotiations. Round up the rioters and make examples of them.

23. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    We are a democracy Senator. And making sure that conditions are better for mining workers is important.

BookExogorth likes this.
  24. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    Those strikers are holding the economy on a leash and provoking general unrest by rioting. They need to be arrested, each and every one of them. Then we negotiate with the head of the mining guilds. We can't let the hooligans cause more disruption while we are sitting around a conference room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  25. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    My contacts have just brought a report to me that the head of the mining guild has just been assassinated. It looks like this matter has just escalated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.